Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a fun idea!

I would like to point out that using BBQ sauce on a pizza is an affront and must not be tolerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Also ricotta and broccoli is a delicious vegetarian topping combo.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

spankmeister posted:

It's a fun idea!

I would like to point out that using BBQ sauce on a pizza is an affront and must not be tolerated.

NY style pizza with KC style barbeque sauce, smoked cheddar cheese, and smoked pulled pork is awesome. Not authentic at all, but really delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Lactose free cheese is not fake cheese, it's just cheese made using lactose free milk.

Yes, I only read the first half of the post, and assumed it was for a vegan, not lactose-free. That'll teach me to go off half cocked.

For the record, marinara pizza is delicious and worthwhile, and you should make it anyway

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
This Christmas I'm looking to make some bread sauce (with the cloves in the onion, etc.). We are not British, so I havent' tried this before. When the clove'd onion is in the simmering milk, does it need to be covered by the milk, or is it enough that the lower part of it is touching the milk?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

planning the vegetarian main for my new year meal - thinking of doing a lotus root wellington-type dish. Any idea if this would work, or if there's something I'm overlooking?

Thinking something like the following:

Sous-vide a large section of root in a soy/tomato sauce to impart a more umami flavour while slightly breaking down the hard texture,

pipe a mushroom duxelle/ similar into some of the root's holes,

cover in mustard, wrap in lettuce, then pastry and bake

I'll give it a try soon unless it's likely to poison me

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

VileLL posted:

planning the vegetarian main for my new year meal - thinking of doing a lotus root wellington-type dish. Any idea if this would work, or if there's something I'm overlooking?

Thinking something like the following:

Sous-vide a large section of root in a soy/tomato sauce to impart a more umami flavour while slightly breaking down the hard texture,

pipe a mushroom duxelle/ similar into some of the root's holes,

cover in mustard, wrap in lettuce, then pastry and bake

I'll give it a try soon unless it's likely to poison me
Aside from sounding like it won't taste very good (baked lettuce + mustard with tomato and mushroom is not a classic flavor combination), and also it sounds like it's going to turn into mush in the oven, I think you're good to go.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Per posted:

This Christmas I'm looking to make some bread sauce (with the cloves in the onion, etc.). We are not British, so I havent' tried this before. When the clove'd onion is in the simmering milk, does it need to be covered by the milk, or is it enough that the lower part of it is touching the milk?

I've always halved the onion so that it does stay under the milk, and the cloves can infuse. All the other herbs and spices (black peppercorn, bay, thyme, mace what ever you're using) are content to float around in the milk bath, but for some reason cloves are special and get to be studded in onion.

(Also, as simmering milk can lead to boiling over so easily, I slowly bring the milk to a boil and after 30 seconds or so of boiling, take it off the heat and leave it in a corner to infuse.)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Aside from sounding like it won't taste very good (baked lettuce + mustard with tomato and mushroom is not a classic flavor combination), and also it sounds like it's going to turn into mush in the oven, I think you're good to go.

Yeah, this works MUCH better with firm tofu. Just marinate and sear the tofu first, to season it and give it some texture.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 26, 2017

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

TychoCelchuuu posted:

v true, cheers, I'll see how a test goes

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I deep fried a turkey on Saturday, then left the oil out in the pot overnight. As I was emptying the oil into the jugs before filtering it, I noticed that the first two gallons I poured off looked very clean, and it wasn’t until the last 1.5 gallons that I started to notice any particulate matter. Can I get away with only filtering the oil that looked dirty when I poured it off? My thinking is that all the poo poo I would want to filter out should have settled overnight, so the first couple gallons I poured off should have been clean already.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Anyone got a good tuna salad recipe? Something i can whip up before work would be good, just mayo is boring.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is a thing in New England and it's an affront to humanity.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Is that just bread and sauce?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Don't underrate how good bread and sauce can be, but yeah, that looks like a poor man's pan con tomate

That said, I'd definitely try it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captainsalami posted:

Is that just bread and sauce?

It is

DasNeonLicht posted:

Don't underrate how good bread and sauce can be, but yeah, that looks like a poor man's pan con tomate

That said, I'd definitely try it

It's... not good.

They sell it everywhere here and it's passable if you can get some right out of the oven. Basically a big sheet of focaccia and sauce. But, they make a couple of mistakes that just make it gross. 1. The sauce is typically too sweet and takes away from the tartness of a thick tomato sauce. 2. Finding it hot and fresh is nigh impossible as most places like to sell it cold only. 3. When sold cold it's always tightly wrapped in saran wrap meaning that the bread just gets soft and any good crust on the end (about the only good part) is now softened and flavorless. Given the fact that all of the bread underneath the sauce is juuuuuust done to the point that it's not dough, the whole thing is just poo poo.

Like, just make some focaccia with a dipping sauce or something. Hell. It's a mildly passable thing as is and it's completely turned to poo poo in execution and people serve it here everywhere.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I will never understand the east coast.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I melted some butter and mixed ground cinnamon in to drizzle on sweet potatoes, but the cinnamon doesn't stay suspended. Is there any way to fix taht?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I melted some butter and mixed ground cinnamon in to drizzle on sweet potatoes, but the cinnamon doesn't stay suspended. Is there any way to fix taht?

Cinnamon doesn't really like to mix with water and stays clumped. I think it's hydrophobic? Same reason the cinnamon challenge is so hard. It's not water soluble. I don't know if it would work any better if you tried to mix it into clarified butter. Somethings that don't like water do ok in just oil.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I will never understand the east coast.

Well, they do make up for it with these: https://eatyourworld.com/destinations/united_states/general_rhode_island/rhode_island/what_to_eat/stuffies_stuffed_quahogs

Basically a clam and cornbread stuffing, heavily seasoned and the best ones come with some linguica roasted, chopped and mixed in and the whole thing is served hot out from under a broiler. I've grown up in / around New Orleans eating awesome seafood and this is a really good thing.

Still... that 'pizza' abomination... :barf:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

That Works posted:

This is a thing in New England and it's an affront to humanity.

Store bought tomato pie will never make sense to me. It's always squishy and bland.

Homemade dough with a slather of fresh red sauce? Done.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone got a good tuna salad recipe? Something i can whip up before work would be good, just mayo is boring.

some combination of: various mustards, fresh or dried herbs, chopped capers, any sort of relish, chopped dill pickles, any kind of chopped onion, celery, worcestershire, pepper, salt, nuts, dried fruit, hot sauce, lemon juice, vinegar...

I start tuna salad like I start tartar sauce - with a variety of minced fresh and pickled vegetables macerated with salt - often the salt that's on the capers. Also vinaigrette tuna salads are very nice, especially if you buy the slightly nicer canned tuna in olive oil. With a good brand of tuna in oil you can often make the dressing from just the oil in the can, lemon juice, and salt. Of course some herbs, etc would be nice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Cookie update: I was very conservative with mixing the butter and got much flatter cookies on my retry. I suspect that was it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Cookie update: I was very conservative with mixing the butter and got much flatter cookies on my retry. I suspect that was it.

As a person who loves thick, chewy cookies, this makes me very sad.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
My controversial opinion is that all homemade chocolate chip cookies are good.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Captainsalami posted:

Nothing fancy, but what I do is get the nice, solid white tuna, add one-half to one-quarter an onion, finely diced (the more finely you dice it, the easier time your tuna salad will have sticking together), a teaspoon of sweet relish, and one stingy tablespoon of mayonnaise.

Another thing I did once when I bought too many ingredients for guacamole was to use use a quarter of an avocado as a binder instead of mayonnaise and a finely diced jalapeño instead of relish. You could probably travel further down that road by adding lime juice, cilantro, garlic, tomato, etc.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

There Bias Two posted:

As a person who loves thick, chewy cookies, this makes me very sad.

I am perplexed by this too. I would have considered these cookies fuckups, but my wife, mom, and mother-in-law are all down with them.

Hell, my wife wants them crunchier! I am going to humor her with using 100% white sugar next time. Unfortunately, it will likely work out like the time I made a pecan pie that was 100% topping and no filling. My in-laws demolished that thing before I could tell if it even cooked right.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s the best sub-$70 wireless meat thermometer for an oven? I see a few in that range on amazon but i never used one and I’m not sure if I need two probes or not. It would either be used on large cuts or steaks for two.

E- Posting in the equipment thread instead, my bad

Snowy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 28, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am perplexed by this too. I would have considered these cookies fuckups, but my wife, mom, and mother-in-law are all down with them.

Hell, my wife wants them crunchier! I am going to humor her with using 100% white sugar next time. Unfortunately, it will likely work out like the time I made a pecan pie that was 100% topping and no filling. My in-laws demolished that thing before I could tell if it even cooked right.

Are they even cookies at that point, or just...jagged shards of flour and sugar?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E-quote is not edit

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

There Bias Two posted:

Are they even cookies at that point, or just...jagged shards of flour and sugar?

They look like pretty flat cookies that have rippled outwards. The Good Eats "The Thin" recipe image is pretty consistent.

I suspect a 100% white sugar, chocolate chip cookie in a normal thickness would be like those frisbees your see Predators using. If it's thinned out a bit then I imagine it can work. I think what my wife wants is not necessarily a cookie that is chewy so much as one that bends. It's turning into those toffee-thin cookies I have started seeing in the fancier supermarkets, but I don't think that's what she wants either.

Basically, I have been trying to guess a number between 1 and 10 and the answer was -2.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One that bends? Like oatmeal lace?

Snowy posted:

What’s the best sub-$70 wireless meat thermometer for an oven? I see a few in that range on amazon but i never used one and I’m not sure if I need two probes or not. It would either be used on large cuts or steaks for two.

E- Posting in the equipment thread instead, my bad
Why wireless?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what to serve with eggs in purgatory

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Socca and a peppery microgreen salad w/ tahini dressing

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anne Whateley posted:

One that bends? Like oatmeal lace?

Why wireless?

A work friend said her husband loves using his wireless thermometer with meat in the oven because you don’t need to open it to know when the temperature is right, and that guy has always sounded like a good cook. Plus it sounds fun and seems nice and easy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Snowy posted:

A work friend said her husband loves using his wireless thermometer with meat in the oven because you don’t need to open it to know when the temperature is right, and that guy has always sounded like a good cook. Plus it sounds fun and seems nice and easy.

It's easier and a lot cheaper to go with a probe thermometer and you still don't need to open the oven to check temperatures, I like the ChefAlarm by Thermoworks, it has a timer, temperature based alarms and comes with a probe. There is also the DOT if you just need a temperature based alarm.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, to be clear, what you usually do is a thermometer with a probe on one end that stays in the meat, a wire that you shut in the oven door, and a display on the other end that sits on the counter. That's way cheaper, like Ikea has them for $10ish and the world's best is $50.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, to be clear, what you usually do is a thermometer with a probe on one end that stays in the meat, a wire that you shut in the oven door, and a display on the other end that sits on the counter. That's way cheaper, like Ikea has them for $10ish and the world's best is $50.

I'd go with at least the DOT, I had one of the cheap ones and the probe died after a few months of use, the timer part was still useful but you could not buy replacement probes for it so it was useless for the primary reason I got it. The Thermoworks stuff is much tougher and better made plus you can buy a replacement probe if something happens to the one that comes with the unit, also they have a bunch of different probes for different uses.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to ask around for recipes on slow cooker pork belly. I can do an adobo just fine, but I tried this pulled-pork recipe from youtube and it was way hella too spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bought a probe thermometer the other day. I was just after something to measure the temperature inside my oven and, since they had separate oven and meat thermometers, asked the guy if there was any difference, like did the meat thermometers have a probe that actually had to be in contact with anything. Oh no, he said, they're all the same and they just measure their immediate surroundings, air or solid, I could even take my own temperature with one. I replied that was good to know but I'd probably like to get a separate one for that.