Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Sheer incompetence mainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm especially impressed by the fact that you (apparently) planned your route to avoid leaving footprints leading to the gun from the foreground of this picture:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh I forgot one.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh COME ON

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840644

some nerd in TFR has a giant box of AR triggers he's loaning to goons to try out

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That's... ridiculous. That said, I've got a Geissele G2S in my AR15 which is amazing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
One of the local shops had DPMS AR15s for $300 this past weekend. Got my mail after the weekend away this morning, sale ran out yesterday. There weren't many screaming deals in the flier otherwise, but I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel of AR prices.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of the local shops had DPMS AR15s for $300 this past weekend. Got my mail after the weekend away this morning, sale ran out yesterday. There weren't many screaming deals in the flier otherwise, but I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel of AR prices.

thanks trump lol

its actually funny just how much the AR market is based on idiots that stock up as much as they can spend whenever a democrat is president. just short stock in AR manufacturers every time republican gets elected, buy stock when a democrat gets elected

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It tends to affect the mid to low tier ARs the most, and doesn't bring down the prices on the better stuff all that much.

I sold my blood gun SBR upper, so now I'm slowly choosing components to build a sleeker upper to replace it. Leaning towards the Larue stealth 2.0 upper set in MLOK.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can you provide examples of what you consider low/med/high grade ARs and explain the differences?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

thanks trump lol

its actually funny just how much the AR market is based on idiots that stock up as much as they can spend whenever a democrat is president. just short stock in AR manufacturers every time republican gets elected, buy stock when a democrat gets elected

AR15s were banned in MD and NY during the Great Post-Newtown Panic of 2012, so they're not always idiots.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

can you provide examples of what you consider low/med/high grade ARs and explain the differences?

In my vague opinion it has to do with the components used and QC employed by the manufacturer.

Low tier would be the lowest priced stuff like Olympic. I remember being at a goon shoot in GA a decade ago where I had to smash a dude's charging handle against one of the benches to get a case un-stuck from the chamber. Things I find not desirable here are unstaked carrier keys and castle nuts, non chrome lined bores, non free floated barrels, and carbine length gas systems on 16" barrels. Basically guns where I'd have to rip out and replace a significant amount of components before I'd trust them or enjoy them for anything beyond basic plinking.

Mid tier is stuff like the Colt 6920, where it's made from solid components and is generally trustworthy when it comes to duty use. Still has some stuff that I'd tweak of course, but then I'm compulsive about tweaking guns.

High tier would be the boutique brands like Daniel Defense, Noveske, Larue, and the like. Stuff where I'd have to do very little tweaking, if any.

It generally correlates to price but not always, since there's companies like Black Rain Ordnance that are very high priced but of questionable quality. (I've never seen any reports about their stuff anywhere, let alone seeing them show up at local matches.)

As far as the functional differences, quality components increase reliability, longevity and (depending on the barrel) accuracy. Nicer triggers make for better groups, compared to a gritty milspec one. Chrome lined barrels last longer and are easier to clean than basic chrome moly barrels. Free float handguards make it so that pressure on the handguard (from bracing on a barricade or a bipod) won't affect the barrel and thus won't throw off your rounds' point of impact. They also tend to be longer than stock handguards and give you more room to reach further out and really control the gun.

Honestly though AR manufacturers have upped their game quite a bit in the last decade. At the local 3-gun match, I almost never see gun-related malfunctions. Usually it's because someone loaded 31 rounds in their mag, or had no lube at all on their gun. Once I saw someone's AR lock up hard because they were shooting steel cased ammo, which can give stuck cases in tighter chambers.

I realize that all sounds pretty vague, but you can find more details and charts from the spergs on arfcom and m4carbine.net if you want additional details and hair splitting. My general take is that other than certain specific types (.308 ARs and their compatibility issues), you're almost always better off piecing together and building your own AR, both from a price and quality standpoint, even if it's just buying a complete upper of your choice and then putting the lower together yourself. Of course you have to have an idea of what you want to do with your rifle before you start, rather than going with whatever looks cool.

e: for something solid and off the shelf, this would work very well: https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/Colt-Trooper-Patrol-Carbine

The Rat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 28, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
To be honest I don't know much about AR15s but I've handled a Noveske before and they just make an issue M4 seem like pure garbage. Everything just fits nice, no strange rattles, and everything is just smooth.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What's wrong with the carbine gas system on a 16"? I think they look neat.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They tend to give a little more gas than needed, which means slightly more felt recoil and parts wear. Also with standard handguards and front sight block, they give you a pretty short reach and sight radius. It works and I realize it's a total hair splitting thing, but if I'm buying or building something for myself (rather than having it issued), then I want it as optimized as possible.

Because when it isn't, and it's something that's just "good enough," I tend to sell it and buy the optimal choice eventually anyways. :suicide:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

What's wrong with the carbine gas system on a 16"? I think they look neat.
Aside from the minor over gassing issue Rat mentioned, there's nothing really "wrong" with 16"/Carbine, it's just a sub-optimal choice and better stuff has come along. In terms of classic looks, I prefer 14.5"/Carbine with a pinned muzzle device, especially now that multiple companies are making slim muzzle devices that you can slip a gas block over.

14.5/Car:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In the meantime, those of us who can't buy an AR of any sort (DC resident here) are stuck with Fightlite SCRs at like $1100 or M1As at $1700.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's probably a safe assumption they ran out quickly, at least before saturday ran through. They also had M&P15-22s for $200.

The rest of their flier was mostly standard fare pistols and rifles at standard fare prices.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

especially now that multiple companies are making slim muzzle devices that you can slip a gas block over.

Dammit don't tell me that, the last thing I need is to fire up another expensive hobby.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Carbine gas on a 16" barrel also has sharper recoil than mid-length gas. This is pretty minor, but it's the sort of thing that really bugs me over time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've got a BCM 14.5" M4A1 upper with a permanent muzzle device. 16" M4 type barrels just look weird.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I went with a dissipator upper.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Dissipators are a cool idea, but the availability and lower cost of long free float tubes (like ALG) has superseded them as of late.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Rat posted:

Dissipators are a cool idea, but the availability and lower cost of long free float tubes (like ALG) has superseded them as of late.

Yeah, mine isn't free floated. Magpul handguards, AFG and a iron front sight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Rat what do you charge for consultation on helping an AR newb create parts list for a build?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Give me a mission purpose, a budget and your ability/propensity to assemble your own stuff and I'll see what I can do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Defend my house from Nazis and crabs at short range, $1k and I'm not a total idiot. I've swapped out car parts after following YouTube videos and reference guides. Also if I properly bribe Doccers I could get him to double check my work.

I really really like dark red or green. I prefer something beefier and potentially resistant to being used as a club once or twice so bayonet lug is a plus.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hm, a bayonet lug kind of limits your options as far as off the shelf uppers go. Means you'll be restricted to uppers with non free float handguards for the most part. My basic recommendation there would be a 16" midlength upper from a reputable company like this: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm

Add to that Magpul MOE SL midlength handguards in your color of choice, along with irons/optic of your choice.

Then just hammer a lower together. The stock and grip are almost entirely personal preference. Due to wrist angle, Magpul MOE K grips are my favorite. Stock is another personal preference thing, though I like the Magpul STR, SL-K and SL-S.

Trigger-wise, there are two main options I'd recommend, the ALG ACT ($65ish, single stage milspec type trigger, but with a lighter, cleaner break - in the 4.5lb area with the standard spring installed) and the Geissele SSA/G2S (two stage, 4.5lb break total between the two stages, goes for $110ish for the G2S, and almost twice that for the SSA, though they feel the same to me.)

All of the above plus a sling should run you under $1k easily.

If you have access to the tools and want to assemble your own upper with a free float tube while not breaking the bank, ALG handguards are great for the price. A 16" barrel from someone like Ballistic Advantage plus an ALG EMR MLOK rail will likely run you about the same price as the above linked BCM upper, but also give you the benefit of being free floated and with more handguard space to reach out on. So really it's a question of if you really want that bayonet lug, and how much you want to tinker with building an upper.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
BCM also makes midlength uppers with a bayo lug and their 9" KMR or quad rail free float handguards installed. No M-lok option, sadly.

He could also add a Centurion C4 midlength cut-out rail, they're free float, but they're expensive and not super light weight.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 29, 2017

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah but then you're stuck with Keymod. Eeew.

(I kid, I realize that it boils down to another hair splitting gun autist difference. That said I'm still team MLOK all the way.)

Cutout rails are options too, but like you said, they're expensive. I think Daniel Defense makes a cutout rail too, but probably even more expensive than the Centurion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Weight isn’t a factor, if it helps with buttstrokes it’s all good.
Some good options to track. Thanks for the advice.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

I think Daniel Defense makes a cutout rail too, but probably even more expensive than the Centurion.
Discontinued.
DD only ever made them in the Lite rail version, so not drop in like the C4, and carbine length IIRC.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

How do I get a front sight block off of a dissy upper

Hacksaw?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hacksaw and dremel works. You could try driving/drilling the pins of the FSB out too, though that will still require removing the muzzle device to slide it off.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Eh, gently caress it guess I'll stick with the cowitness red dot, I see guys with offset scopes, maybe look into that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

It doesn't take very long with a hacksaw or a cutoff wheel, what took me the most time was slicing off my bayo lug. Course all I had was the saw and dremel, an angle grinder will devour it in a couple of passes.

Like yeah sure shoving a big 'ol knife on a gun looks cool and stupid and fun but holy crap going to a heavy quad rail forend to a free float m-lok tube was night and day.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

MLOK tubes are so svelte. Like this gun here, this thing is so light and maneuverable that it blows my mind compared to a bulky quad rail.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A++ would ditch service weapon for commercial market rifle again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

DoktorLoken posted:

I've got a BCM 14.5" M4A1 upper with a permanent muzzle device. 16" M4 type barrels just look weird.

M4 barrel profiles are also dumb and pointless.

BCM's are good for the money, and once they release the lighter magnesium alloy version of the MLOK tube I'll be swapping it. Not gonna go up in weight just to switch.