Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malpais Legate posted:

That's my most frustrating part of DMing 5e. There's so little in the books for me to make available for my players to spend their exceptionally large amount of money on, and that's just with a fraction of the loot they could get from the starter set. The wizard had a constant need for gold just for inscribing spells, but the rest of the party had little to do but fill a bathtub with it.

Xanathar's has buying magic items as a down time activity. If you don't want to get that book or follow those rules. You can just make them for sale and pick a price point for some stuff. (Other things they can spend money on would be stuff like land and forts, which are things not in all types of games.) the rest does not even put a dent in most parties spending money.

Here is magic item buying rules from Xanathar's

Even if you don't like them, the pricing stuff there give you a point to start on if you just want magic items to be available in general.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Good thing we know how much wealth an adventuring party of a certain level is supposed to have, right folks?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Xanathar's has buying magic items as a down time activity. If you don't want to get that book or follow those rules. You can just make them for sale and pick a price point for some stuff. (Other things they can spend money on would be stuff like land and forts, which are things not in all types of games.) the rest does not even put a dent in most parties spending money.

Here is magic item buying rules from Xanathar's

Even if you don't like them, the pricing stuff there give you a point to start on if you just want magic items to be available in general.

So the system is 'spend money and hope you have good charisma and then roll randomly if they get anything at all, then roll randomly if they get anything they care about, then roll randomly to see if they can afford it''. That all seems awful.

Can I have a price system that doesnt have a 18,000gp swing for a 'rare' item?

Edit: 18k swing to be more accurate.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 27, 2017

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Also, the Xanathar's downtime activities aren't allowed in Adventurer's League, so my ninth-level warlock is still sitting on tens of thousands of worthless gold.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The newbie party I’m running wanted a nautical/pirate arc and boats are a great goldsink (not that there’s much RAW support for it). Hiring skilled crew, upgrading weapons, repairing damage, etc.

They’ve started setting aside shares of loot for future upgrades I still need to make up.

I’ve been using this Tribality article for our first naval combats, any advice from others who have done naval stuff in 5e?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D 5e rejiggering the math so that you don't need a +1 weapon, but then having loot rules that yield +1 swords anyway, as well as having so little guidance on how to get the party to spend their hundreds of gold that the GM will naturally gravitate towards +1 swords out of tradition is a great example of disjointed game design.
you don't need a +1 weapon, unless you actually want to contribute in battle past like, level 5

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

you don't need a +1 weapon, unless you actually want to contribute in battle past like, level 5

Nah you just need a magic weapon of some kind to bypass the resistance wall that shows up. +1 is probably the lamest answer to that tbh.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kingcom posted:

Nah you just need a magic weapon of some kind to bypass the resistance wall that shows up. +1 is probably the lamest answer to that tbh.
my bad, I have a habit of using "+x weapon" and "magic weapon" interchangeably because 3.P/4e

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Rolemaster guys made this generic supplement once called "... and a 10-foot pole" whose point was supposed to be that it'd tell you the prices of things for drat-near everything:

It's maybe one or two orders of magnitude too low for what you get from 5e though.

It would almost never be needed, but I wish I had that thing!

Like all the other situationally interesting old books its way too much on Amazon.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

IMHO if you're trying to :sever: with a lovely DM who is also a good friend, say something to this effect: "I don't think I'm cut out for this sort of game." If pressed, suggest, "I wasn't looking for something this challenging, I think maybe I'm cut out for something more casual." This will allow him to retain his pride because it's not that he's lovely, it's that you're a filthy casual and he probably will say he's sad to see you go.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

IMHO if you're trying to :sever: with a lovely DM who is also a good friend, say something to this effect: "I don't think I'm cut out for this sort of game." If pressed, suggest, "I wasn't looking for something this challenging, I think maybe I'm cut out for something more casual." This will allow him to retain his pride because it's not that he's lovely, it's that you're a filthy casual and he probably will say he's sad to see you go.
Nah, he's leaving because his game is lovely and unfun. "You seem to have picked up some terrible GMing habits and I'm not interested in playing like that. If we weren't good friends I'd have quit ages ago. Anyway, see you at (next non gaming activity)!" is perfectly acceptable. If a friend can't take even that mild criticism then they have bigger problems than being bad at d&d.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have played plenty of games with friends that I stopped playing because I wasn't having fun to the point where I'd rather have been doing something else. Sometimes it's the game, sometimes it's a particular person's GMing style. You should absolutely let your friend know why you don't want to play that game with them any more. Phrase it in terms of how you feel about it - "I don't enjoy X" instead of "X is bad". That way you and your friends end up, over time, knowing what to pitch to the rest of the group, what to pitch to some of the group, and what to take elsewhere. If you say "I'd rather not play this game again, X and Y aspects aren't any fun for me, but let me know if you're doing boardgames or if the campaign wraps up and you'd like me to run something else" and they somehow manage to take that as a personal attack, it might be time to re-evaluate why you're friends with them.

In summary:

If you're really not enjoying yourself, stop playing that game and say why you're stopping.
If someone you know gets pissed at you because you don't want to play D&D with them, they're a fuckhead.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 27, 2017

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mendrian posted:

Depending on your group of friends, this is probably the best advice youll get from here.

You can even ask that someday a more "casual" game be run "just for fun". This may win over some of the other people in the end and change the group dynamic/playstyle.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.*

https://www.wired.com/story/its-a-living-meet-one-of-new-yorks-best-professional-dandd-dungeon-masters/

quote:

Meet One of New York’s Best Professional D&D Dungeon Masters

But now there’s a resurgence and appreciation for a more personal experience.”

Which is one of the reasons Woods is so busy these days. He’s currently overseeing nine games a week, all of them focusing on either Dungeons & Dragons, or the kid-friendlier, D&D-influenced game Dungeon World. His clientele is made up of an assortment of armchair-adventuring adults, students, and families (including one with a few Oscar wins, though he’d prefer to keep their identity a secret). He’s spent the past few years doing all of this while also working to earn an RPG-related doctorate (his dissertation title: “Anything Can Be Attempted: Table-Top Role Playing Games as Learning and Pedagogy”).

“I’ve had people say they want me to be harsher as a DM, and I don’t always take that advice,” Woods says. “If I’m too much of a hardass, then they’re really gonna start questioning what they are paying me for.” So he adapts the game's difficulty levels to his players' wishes and skill levels. And while it is possible to be revived in D&D, it can slow the game down. In D&D, Woods says, "death and unconsciousness are relatively boring."

Yet there’s another reason Woods might want to keep everyone at the table happy. When he was younger, Woods couldn’t find enough people to play with him, and wasn’t even sure how to find them; now he has enough D&D pals to fill out that ridiculously detailed notebook of his. “Before I start a game, I think, ‘I am not their friend, I am their Dungeon Master,’ ” he says. “And then, within 30 seconds of me walking in and someone saying, ‘Hey, Timm!’ I’m already like, ‘Oh, gently caress it, I love these people.’”

(One of?)

Thats Doctor Dungeon Master to you sir.

quote:

A few weeks before the con, Woods finished his dissertation—the latest, most seemingly grown-up victory in a decades-long campaign he’d begun when he was barely a teen. He was soon to be Dr. Woods, but he wasn’t yet ready to leave D&D for the far dicier world of academia. “This all started as me trying to figure out how I could get paid to run these games and survive on it,” he says. The plan, for now, is to keep adding more games, keep finding more clients, maybe even get some corporate gigs. To help his clients undertake their next battle-scarring campaigns, even if a few of them die along the way. To keep riding the friggin’ dragon as far and high as it’ll go.

:smug:

quote:

As it turns out, the very attributes that help form the core of every Dungeons & Dragons character—strength, constitution, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma—are the same ones needed to be a stellar Dungeon Master.

*Hail Eris

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

kid-friendlier, D&D-influenced game Dungeon World
Huge slam on Dungeon World out of nowhere!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Huge slam on Dungeon World out of nowhere!
I assumed that they meant the rulebook stack was thinner?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kaysette posted:

The newbie party I’m running wanted a nautical/pirate arc and boats are a great goldsink (not that there’s much RAW support for it). Hiring skilled crew, upgrading weapons, repairing damage, etc.

They’ve started setting aside shares of loot for future upgrades I still need to make up.

I’ve been using this Tribality article for our first naval combats, any advice from others who have done naval stuff in 5e?

Another GM and I developed streamlined naval combat rules:
Naval Actions:
Use rigging: +15 speed to ship
Use wheel: turn ship. A 90 degree turn uses 15 speed.
Use Weapon: Fire weapon.
Repair ship: repair 2d4 hull damage. Add proficiency bonus from carpenter's tools to amount repaired.

Weapons rules:
For most ship weapons base them off the siege weapons in the DMG. Usually they require an additional action for reloading.
Firing at a targets in your broadside (fits between parallel lines from your bow and stern) has advantage.
Firing at targets with your chase weapons (directly ahead or astern) has disadvantage.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Instead of attempting to design and implement a sensible and fun dungeon in the form of a rich person's house, I've decided they live a Dr Who style life. Their house will be made out of tiles from Betrayal at the House On Haunted Hill, complete with automaton guards that they have to talk/sneak/fight past, who get stronger with each defeat, and less likely to be talked down as they succeed. The end of the session will involve a fight against a painting that's been possessed (see Chardanook in FF6) before they can go through the painting like Mario 64 to go stop the War on Christmas.

This is what happens when you put off session design until two days before.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Cross Post Question:

Anyone have advice on the best way to run a 40K RPG campaign, or just RPG campaign in general over the internet? I have heard of a few programs, but it would be nice to hear from people who have experienced first hand success.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
The best 40k stuff goes Full Camp.

I personally played in one Dark Heresy campaign with a couple of tacticool wannabe-soldiers and it was boring as gently caress, and another Black Crusade campaign with a few guys who realized that the whole setting is one big parody and it was a goddamn blast.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Cross Post Question:

Anyone have advice on the best way to run a 40K RPG campaign, or just RPG campaign in general over the internet? I have heard of a few programs, but it would be nice to hear from people who have experienced first hand success.

Best thing to know about Fantasy Flight 40K is that the rules are terrible, horribly organized, and contradictory (especially Black Crusade--can't comment as much on the others but BC is bad enough to go around). Best plan is to just eyeball the general guidelines and call it good.

Running map software (rolld20) for friends is better than it was 5-10 years ago, but still a large amount of overhead that can slow down online games, so if you can do part of the game without a map, good deal.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

dont even fink about it posted:

Best thing to know about Fantasy Flight 40K is that the rules are terrible, horribly organized, and contradictory (especially Black Crusade--can't comment as much on the others but BC is bad enough to go around). Best plan is to just eyeball the general guidelines and call it good.

Running map software (rolld20) for friends is better than it was 5-10 years ago, but still a large amount of overhead that can slow down online games, so if you can do part of the game without a map, good deal.

I am pretty cool without relying on maps, but more of good ways to view rolls(especially given 1d100 system), and being able to view my players and hear what they are saying well. Basically, what provides the best simulation of sitting at a table with people?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A new 40 k RPG is actually coming out at some point in the future.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Uroboros posted:

I am pretty cool without relying on maps, but more of good ways to view rolls(especially given 1d100 system), and being able to view my players and hear what they are saying well. Basically, what provides the best simulation of sitting at a table with people?

Roll20 is great for creating dice macros in addition to map functions.

The voice, however, is complete trash. Use Discord for that.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Uroboros posted:

Cross Post Question:

So a couple of years back on the forums there was a 40k campaign where all of the players were squats just trying to make it in a galaxy that didn't want them. I didn't really follow it because time issues, but the impression I had is that everybody in it had a lot of fun. Might be worth hunting up.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Throwing Turtles posted:

So a couple of years back on the forums there was a 40k campaign where all of the players were squats just trying to make it in a galaxy that didn't want them. I didn't really follow it because time issues, but the impression I had is that everybody in it had a lot of fun. Might be worth hunting up.

You mean SCRUNTS?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kaysette posted:

You mean SCRUNTS?

No man, he means the RADICAL squats.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ReapersTouch posted:

Just finished Tomb of Horrors. All my players jumped in the sphere of annihilation out of frustration. I told them before we started that this dungeon is really dumb and tedious, so they knew that going in. I ran it by the book and took their actions literally and without hesitation.

It was refreshing for the contrast of how I ran the CoS campaign, with hand holding and a very lax dm style.

Tomb of Horrors isn't good y'all.

whoa the module built specifically for graybeard bragging rights isn't good?!?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Kaysette posted:

Just saw someone online argue that a single d100 was different than rolling d% because you could never get a 1-9 with percentile die. I think he just had 2 regular d10s.

The players of this game never cease to amaze me.

Years ago we combined two groups and the larger four person group treated a 1 and 00 as 100 and 0 and 00 as 10. This was quite a surprise to us, the three person groups especially cause we didn't know until one of us rolled 0 and 00.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I didn't think this could get any stupider, but now I'm fully expecting the next d% story is gonna be something like "...and they'd use a computer to print a randomised list of numbers from 1-100 matched to a list of those numbers in order, roll d100, and look up the result on that table".

e: Or how someone's cousin would roll 5d20 and add them, with a total of 100 meaning that you roll a d6 and use the face value except if it's 6, which means it's 100, and what's a bell curve?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Cat Face Joe posted:

0 and 00 as 10

:psyduck:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

0 means 10 and 00 is 0, duh

AlphaDog posted:

I didn't think this could get any stupider, but now I'm fully expecting the next d% story is gonna be something like "...and they'd use a computer to print a randomised list of numbers from 1-100 matched to a list of those numbers in order, roll d100, and look up the result on that table".

e: Or how someone's cousin would roll 5d20 and add them, with a total of 100 meaning that you roll a d6 and use the face value except if it's 6, which means it's 100, and what's a bell curve?

we just have my cousin who's so wacky and random scream a number. once I rolled 10000!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You're all idiots.

00 and 0 needs to be read as 11, and a result of 100 is when the dice read 90 and 9.

Intuitively, the first number on a d10 is 0, because 0 comes before 1. You're not supposed to be able to roll a 0 so you need to read 0 as 1, 1 as 2, and so on up to reading 9 as 10.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

AlphaDog posted:

00 and 0 needs to be read as 11, and a result of 100 is when the dice read 90 and 9.

But this table doesn't go up to 109!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pleads posted:

But this table doesn't go up to 109!

Errata: To all tables that require a d100 roll, append 9 lines that read "DM's choice".

Ooops! That should have read:

Playtest Material: At the DM's discretion, all tables that require a d100 roll may have 9 lines appended that read "DM's choice". This variant rule is not available in Adventurer's League.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 27, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

Years ago we combined two groups and the larger four person group treated a 1 and 00 as 100 and 0 and 00 as 10. This was quite a surprise to us, the three person groups especially cause we didn't know until one of us rolled 0 and 00.

So uhhhhhhh how did they roll a 1?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah we have a rotating schedule of who gets to set which permutation of {1, 2..., 100} we use for each session - gotta make sure it's fair.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

So uhhhhhhh how did they roll a 1?

Process of elimination implies 10 and 0. e: But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it was something else.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah we have a rotating schedule of who gets to set which permutation of {1, 2..., 100} we use for each session - gotta make sure it's fair.

Gets to set it? As in they're allowed to choose the order for that week? Not good enough.

You need as close to a truly random process as you can get. I recommend the numbers 1-100 on ping pong balls, removed one at a time by a blindfolded person from some kind of barrel or box, with a second person writing the numbers down in the order they're pulled. Or a lotto machine, if you've got the money. Obviously this should be done between sessions to speed up play.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 27, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Munchkin d20 GM's screen had a random number table. Roll a d20 and read off the matching random number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The same table each time...

It's like they want you to lose all your u-boats.