Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

mcmagic posted:

She must be insane... Who the hell would voluntarily choose that life?

What first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gort posted:

What first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels?

The accent obviously.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

CFFB is the government office Elizabeth Warren created to regulate the financial industry and protect consumers. It's basicallly One Weird Trick Republicans Hate: The Government Agency.

The prior Obama-appointed director just resigned because that's what you do when Trump is your boss, there's a rule that says when the director resigns his deputy becomes acting director, there's also a rule that says presidents can appoint directors though so Trump appointed a guy who's stated position is "CFFB should not exist" to head the CFFB.

Basically imagine if this were a 1980's kids movie, the nun who runs the local orphanage just retired, her assistant nun still wants to run the place, but the landlord wants the place shut down and the assistant nun isn't on the lease. Except, in this scenario, the nuns are Elizabeth Warren, the landlord is Trump, and the orphans are non-millionaire americans.

our world is SO DUMB

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

gently caress no. That life must be hell on earth.

That's the Japanese royal family. Just a gilded prison, essentially.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The CFPB is one of those things I really wish had gotten more airtime in its heyday. I pointed to it a lot as evidence that "both parties aren't the same" during the 2016 election season and now I'm just hoping it can be resurrected under a Democrat at some point.

I think there's an ongoing court case that might change its leadership to either "can be fired by president at any time" or changing the directorship to a five-person board like the FCC or something. It probably won't come out the other end of the deregulatory crusade as strong, but I'd like to think it will survive and soldier on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy Goodbody posted:

our world is SO DUMB

Just think: we're only one year in!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ReidRansom posted:

That's the Japanese royal family. Just a gilded prison, essentially.

Obligatory photo of the Thailand's King

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Oh man, oh man, I'm waiting for some hot takes regarding Prince Harry about to marry a mixed-race American woman. Probably not from Trump, but I'm pretty sure his crowd like Nigel Farage aren't happy of a future with African blood on the throne.

And just like with Ms. Obama there's a 99% chance this is projection and they jungle fever.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Now we're all going to Thai jail for a million years. Thanks a lot prick.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

it's pretty cool that the royal family will have blood in it from someone of African descent IMO

Royal line is already tainted, sorry white purityailures.

quote:

Well... Goodness Gracious Me, Prince William is descended from Indian ancestors.

The genetic link emerged after painstaking research going back two centuries to the story of a Scottish merchant’s love for the Indian sweetheart who became his wife.

Their liaison began a DNA trail which eventually led to Princess Diana, and will ultimately produce Britain’s first part-Indian king when William ascends to the throne.

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

I actually can't stop laughing at this. He reminds me of the bad guy in Kung Fu Hustle

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i like dumb royal trivia and deposed current monarchs

technically, this dude is louis the 20th

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

boner confessor posted:

i like dumb royal trivia and deposed current monarchs

technically, this dude is louis the 20th

France did it right

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/935204419507032071

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/935206768833191937

Wildcard, bitches!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can't speak for everyone, but Skynet is looking pretty good about now.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kale posted:

I actually can't stop laughing at this. He reminds me of the bad guy in Kung Fu Hustle

I kind of wish he had been wearing socks with those sandals just to complete the "fashion as a middle finger to the world" ensemble.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Lmao, dude posts his observations about the negative impact of social media on his family's mood and interactions, both of which are backed by studies.
Goons: I too have noticed social media and being constantly plugged in has led to people becoming more isolated, socially maladjusted, and emotionally and developmentally stunted but if they were normal they'd probably just be out raping people anyway so I can't say it's a bad thing.

When you get this creepy, it might be time to take a break from the internet and go outside.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Lmao, dude posts his observations about the negative impact of social media on his family's mood and interactions, both of which are backed by studies.
Goons: I too have noticed social media and being constantly plugged in has led to people becoming more isolated, socially maladjusted, and emotionally and developmentally stunted but if they were normal they'd probably just be out raping people anyway so I can't say it's a bad thing.

When you get this creepy, it might be time to take a break from the internet and go outside.

Thread: [Posts]
You: [Observation about "Goons" that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the above posts but fits into some kind of pet theory you've been sitting on]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

I like that we still all collectively pretend that Harry is actually related to his father and not the bastard son of Diana's bodyguard that the royal family was forced to accept for fear of scandal. Or whatever.

Diana didn't meet Hewitt until years after Harry was born and the Spencers have been (see for example her brother) famous redheads for generations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol he didn't even read the subheadline

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the korean imperial family has some internal drama and one of the pretenders to the throne spent some time homeless in korea, and lived rough in america as well

imagine meeting a homeless dude and he casually mentions that he's the emperor of korea and you're like "sure sure" but he really is

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

-Blackadder- posted:

pretty sure that the studies on this are in no way conclusive and there's a good number of studies finding the exact opposite

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, this means Jones probably has it in the bag if this guy manages to be a successful spoiler, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

-Blackadder- posted:

My favorite running gag on SA is the "Wow you guys are being weird and I am so sensible" posts that are always always more insane than anything they're complaining about.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Trump only reads headlines.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, this means Jones probably has it in the bag if this guy manages to be a successful spoiler, right?

That's tautological, since being a successful spoiler means Jones wins.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Helen Highwater posted:

Trump only reads headlines.

And hasn't seen Ghostbusters

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is only bad for Moore, but the question is how bad.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I love how this was obviously ripped out of a spiral-bound briefing notebook that was probably given to him by some flunky, assuming he wouldn’t read past the headline (which he clearly didn’t).

Yvonmukluk posted:

Depends on how he spoils things. If he ends up getting moderate Republican voters who were considering Jones, it might give Moore a narrow victory.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I love how this is literally the political equivalent of cutting the brake lines and jumping out the back door while wearing a cowboy hat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DaveWoo posted:

I love how this was obviously ripped out of a spiral-bound briefing notebook that was probably given to him by some flunky, assuming he wouldn’t read past the headline (which he clearly didn’t).

I assumed it was some sort of special advance printing the POTUS gets.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

by definition of successful spoiler, yes

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

need more drama

come on wapo, drop some non-garbage breaking news

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

Depends on how he spoils things. If he ends up getting moderate Republican voters who were considering Jones, it might give Moore a narrow victory.

moderate republicans are more likely to not vote than to vote for jones

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

Can anyone prove to me that moderate republicans are still a thing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

(see for example her brother)

Now I have an even crazier theory.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

It's a tight race and every margin counts.

But yeah, odds are that the majority of "moderate" Republicans will still vote Moore. That still gives Jones a good chance, though.

Haha (gently caress the NYT)
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deified Data posted:

Can anyone prove to me that moderate republicans are still a thing?

The NYT just profiled one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You wouldn't marry a prince?

This leads me to wonder whether the commentors in question would freak out more over him marrying a white dude.

• Locked thread