Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Not a direction I expected before the fight, and not one I would have advocated, but now it's happening I'm curious what's coming.

Now I think about it, did Ippo ever cross that line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Peel posted:

Not a direction I expected before the fight, and not one I would have advocated, but now it's happening I'm curious what's coming.

Now I think about it, did Ippo ever cross that line?

Nope

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

trucutru posted:

Borippo next generation

That implies that Ippo at any point is allowed to touch a woman.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jedah posted:

Chapter 1202 RAW (spoilers)

Glad people are reading the earlier parts of the manga and enjoying it. There's not much to say about this latest chapter.

Wow, so uh it looks like Guevara pretty much just stuck his left out and let Ippo ram his face into it while trying to start up his Super Deluxe Dempsey Roll with Cheese.

Ippo is a great boxer!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ippo's dad comes back from the deserted island he was stuck on for 2 decades, punches kamogawa so hard he dies, and teaches Ippo how to actually box

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DizzyBum posted:

Wow, so uh it looks like Guevara pretty much just stuck his left out and let Ippo ram his face into it while trying to start up his Super Deluxe Dempsey Roll with Cheese.

Ippo is a great boxer!

It's really telling just how broken Ippo is that he doesn't even loving notice that left straight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If we get "crossed the line" Monster Ippo after all these shenanigans I suppose it'll all be worth it. Otherwise I'm really not sure where this series is going.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Reddit has some great moments: https://imgur.com/a/a8Uek#bRKwscN

Spoilers for latest chapter.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shinjobi posted:

If we get "crossed the line" Monster Ippo after all these shenanigans I suppose it'll all be worth it. Otherwise I'm really not sure where this series is going.

Coach! That last knockout un-concussed me! I can fight again!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Just as I expected, the opponent has two legs and a functional brain stem. The worst matchup for the boy...!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Given that I have only followed Ippo for...months, I am excited to see where this goes in the story!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I'm personally looking forward to the next volume dealing with Ippo taking over the family fishing business.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Didn't Miyata (or Sendo or something) leave this match early because he thought Ippo had this thing in the bag?

Boy is he gonna be surprised.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm so annoyed by that leak that I keep alternating between wanting to write an effort post on why it's so bad to just throwing my hands in the air and giving up entirely

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tbp posted:

I'm so annoyed by that leak that I keep alternating between wanting to write an effort post on why it's so bad to just throwing my hands in the air and giving up entirely

:agreed:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

tbp posted:

Whoa, is that you, George Morikawa?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
rikudou is a great manga, read that if you want boxing from the perspective of a young, hungry talent

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the point in the manga I'm at, Miyata for some reason canceled his match with Ippo and now he's fighting some dude with scars on his face who thinks his punches can bring him closer to God, and basically right now I actually want to see Itagaki fight someone instead

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

mabels big day posted:

the point in the manga I'm at, Miyata for some reason canceled his match with Ippo and now he's fighting some dude with scars on his face who thinks his punches can bring him closer to God, and basically right now I actually want to see Itagaki fight someone instead

Miyata has the most boring fights in the manga, can't think of anything memorable about them.

Even Aoki and Kimura had good fights. Hell, Kimura vs Mashiba was one of the best fights.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Speaking of, I hope Aoki and Kimura get their respective japanese titles before the series ends. At least have some kind of happy ending.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Adnor posted:

Miyata has the most boring fights in the manga, can't think of anything memorable about them.

Even Aoki and Kimura had good fights. Hell, Kimura vs Mashiba was one of the best fights.

if aoki and kimura have to fight the stupid coconut and battery guys again I'll be upset

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

mabels big day posted:

if aoki and kimura have to fight the stupid coconut and battery guys again I'll be upset

at this juncture i would welcome them doing that, for the ninth time or whatever, and make it a 45 chapter emotional duel, ending with of course another tie.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

tbp posted:

at this juncture i would welcome them doing that, for the ninth time or whatever, and make it a 45 chapter emotional duel, ending with of course another tie.

honestly i kind of agree with this. Bring back the coconut and battery guys - because no matter what, it's still an improvement over this

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I think the worst thing is that these chapters wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been reading this manga for about half of my entire life.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The length of time a lot of us have invested is definitely part of it, but there are a number of reasons why this is a stupid gently caress decision on a storytelling level even if you caught up yesterday

Also I have literally 0 faith in mori carrying out a well told story with this type of emotional gravitas so yeah

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wish this series was about Sendo instead

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

At this point, maybe it will be!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

mabels big day posted:

I'm sorry but Sendo's been punch drunk since his first fight against Ippo, when he fought unconscious.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Adnor posted:

I'm sorry but Sendo's been punch drunk since his first fight against Ippo, when he fought unconscious.

sounds good to me

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hey at least he tries to go for girls

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
New t-shirt idea:

SENDO FUCKS

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Smash

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The idea of this manga continuing while framing anyone other than Takamura as the main character is just complete nonsense to me.

Like, I can take him learning to do a punch better than the guy who became a world champion specifically with that punch within the space of 3 rounds because he’s such an unrepentantly silly rear end in a top hat character. Meanwhile the King of Trash Mountain could literally curb stomp Ippo as he lays there prone on the canvas and I just would not care at all. He’s such a complete and utter wet blanket.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's really at the point where Ippo has to call it quits or just build up some sort of edge, cause his milquetoast "gee golly I gotta barf up brain cells cause coach believes in me" is just getting sad. He's never going to be Takamura, but he could at least get angry instead of whiny when things take a bad turn in the ring.

Little kid Ippo is dying in the ring at this rate, no matter what happens.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ippo hasn't grown as a person ever since he first became champion.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ippo hasn't grown as a person ever since he first became champion.

Honestly his lack of personal growth has been a hamper for a lot longer than that. He hasn't really changed since he stopped being a wet sop of a pushover by joining the gym.

Will he and Kumi ever like become a real couple instead of the awkward mirror images people? Years and he can't be anything more than the plainest motherfucker on the planet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ippo is a good guy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Heavy Metal posted:

Ippo is a good guy.

Which is why he'll never cross that line.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
He's never going to go in to the ring with bad intentions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The part that I'm at in the manga, he just fought that guy from 2 weight classes above him who tried to make him mad, but the only thing that actually worked was insulting the coach. That fight was pretty stupid, and that character especially was stupid. I'm glad Ippo has fights that are really quick in the story, but it spent way too many chapters on that one round.

I just left off after the class A tournament finals, where Itagaki won and Aoki and Kimura lost. I didn't give a poo poo about Itagaki's match with the speed guy who I forgot even existed, but the aftermath of Aoki and Kimura's fights might be interesting, depending on where they go with it.