Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is like Tim Burton's Coaching Carousel.

wtf is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So basically, Aggie is going to pay $40mil to get Jimbo out of Tallahassee, probably $7-8mil for his salary, and then at least another $6 mil to do the same for his assistants, all for the ability to keep losing to Bama.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LeeMajors posted:

:stare:

No way. This is dumb. He'd be dumb to leave. FSU is a better job for sure. Goddamn.

Also:

I'm down with this. Except Grantham. I'm not crazy about him.

Good to know UGA will be able to have success on third down against Florida for the foreseeable future.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

So basically, Aggie is going to pay $40mil to get Jimbo out of Tallahassee, probably $7-8mil for his salary, and then at least another $6 mil to do the same for his assistants, all for the ability to keep losing to Bama.

Yeah that about sums it up. Congrats Aggies!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

Just his offense is completely on the other side of the speed spectrum vs anything Arkansas has run in like the last decade.

Would be interesting seeing his offense with SEC athletes though

Petrino had some pretty wide open offenses that did well. Something different from most of the conference seems like a good direction for Arkansas, and they’re relatively close to Texas where every high school is doing something Air Raidy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if Tennessee had kind of a collective coaching system where all the players took votes on what plays to run, with different seniors being in charge of various other administrative and recruiting aspects of the program from month to month, as elected by the players. Just grab someone from the history department to sign off on poo poo for legal purposes. I'm talking a real camp nowhere/accepted type situation.

The workers also being the managers...like some type of union syndicate? :anarchists::ussr::bern101:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DJExile posted:

No, FSU would have to pay Jimbo $40M if they fired him. He can buy his contract out for about $7M.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
That would've been quick, although Starkville's like 15 feet from Tuscaloosa

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/935207696906715136

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

This is like Tim Burton's Coaching Carousel.

wtf is happening

ADs are working out their daddy issues

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

So which of the coach firings was the biggest disappointment in y'all's opinion?

McElwain. He was supposed to be the brains behind Alabama's offense. He presided over one of the worst, most dysfunctional offenses I have ever seen, and Muschamp's talented defense steadily deteriorated under his watch.
Everything about his time as head coach reeked of a head-in-the-clouds, hands-off management style.

Bielema is up there, too. His philosophy of physical play never succeeded. In fact, his style of offense, which ought to wear teams down, actually led to an uncanny number of last-minute defeats. At least with Bert there was talk about him cashing in at Arkansas after an unlikely run by Wisconsin, and that maybe his star was fading even then.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 27, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wandler20 posted:

No, FSU would have to pay Jimbo $40M if they fired him. He can buy his contract out for about $7M.

Oh well that makes more sense re: him being able to take off. I still don't know why he'd leave but I guess if the divorce is really weighing on him then sure. A&M just doesn't seem like a great job for an already successful coach to take though, you've got Bama Auburn & LSU just in your division.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ahh yes, spread my Saban assistants. Plague the SEC with your incompetence.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

vyst posted:

Norvell seems like a weird fit for Arkansas

Apparently Norvell is an Arkansas native, poor guy.

As for bert's failures as a coach, as opposed to his other failures as a human being, this article breaks it down https://www.arkansasfight.com/2017/11/25/16698038/a-look-at-what-went-wrong-for-bret-bielema

tl:dr: what bert wanted to do didn't jive with what the state produced, and after 'cruitin went awry he was left with pieces that didn't fit in the puzzle. When you consider how bad the OL got when that was bert's pride and joy, it makes sense I guess.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

vyst posted:

Ahh yes, spread my Saban assistants. Plague the SEC with your incompetence.

Pruitt for all intents and purposes has put together terrifying defenses everywhere he goes. My understanding is that he makes Mullen look personable though, so who knows. Also, what in the hell will that offense look like without Mullen.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/935212765370662912

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/pftcommenter/status/935207549326036994

How is PFTCommenter consistently good at his job

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Please do not take my man Jeremy Pruitt he's the reason we won 11 games instead of 9

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Come home Tee

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

God dammit, you cant have him :(

He is amazing at player development, hard to know how good he was at play calling since Clay and his brother are heavily involved in it. Plus he is our best recruiter. He could be a very good hire if he brings in good coordinators.

But you can't have him

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 27, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mullen offered positions to Billy Gonzales as WR coach, John Hevesy OL, Todd Grantham DC.

Grantham is perhaps most famous for giving University of Florida kicker, Chas Henry, the "choke" sign as Henry lined up for the winning kick in the 2010 Florida-Georgia game.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I’d be down with this

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

God dammit, you can have him :(

He is amazing at player development, hard to know how good he was at play calling since Clay and his brother are heavily involved in it. Plus he is our best recruiter. He could be a very good hire if he brings in good coordinators.

But you can't have him

You already said we could have him no backsies

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

I’d be down for this cause.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Please don't steal Manny Diaz MSU.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

HE WAS OURS FIRST GIVE HIM BACK

ps you dont have any roads named Tee Martin Drive and we do.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is amazing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
http://gridironnow.com/new-familiar-names-emerging-vols-coaching-search/

It seems the trolling of fake flights back fired.

quote:

Multiple sources close to the situation indicated Currie’s fate is delicately hanging in the balance, and they also noted Chancellor Beverly Davenport’s chummy relationship with the Vols’ athletic director. Currie and Davenport, per sources on campus, had hands in both Tennessee’s decision last week to publicize false flight paths for a university jet and also Davenport’s decision to favorite a tweet regarding Jon Gruden while Currie, who met with Gruden and had discussions with him on the Vols’ job, also never shot down Gruden talk.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A&M is such a step down from FSU. There must be some internal politics at FSU we don't know about.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

lol jesus Christ. Fire both these idiots.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Good. They botched it from the word go. I figure the only way Currie saves his job is by hiring Tee, because at least Tee is a former Vol and a fan favorite. It might quiet down the majority calling for his head.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

Mullen offered positions to Billy Gonzales as WR coach, John Hevesy OL, Todd Grantham DC.

Grantham is perhaps most famous for giving University of Florida kicker, Chas Henry, the "choke" sign as Henry lined up for the winning kick in the 2010 Florida-Georgia game.

Grantham is an idiot and I look forward to facing him every season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol jesus Christ. Fire both these idiots.

I know. They had fake flights going to Mullen and another going to Gruden, and they bring out Schiano in the end? I know Gruden was never an option, but you talk about misjudging your fanbase? You should did fake flights to Jim McElwain instead of getting their hopes up.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Good lord did Tennessee gently caress this up royally. The current state of the program is no surprise after watching this unfold.

After hearing about the divorce, Jimbo wanting a change of scenery makes sense, so might as well bilk the thirsty af ags for a pile of cash in the process. I kinda get wanting to move on from Sumlin, but doing so this year makes no sense with all the openings. They also need to find a way to reset expectations of the fan base because there's nothing in their history that should make them have the expectations they have

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So they created a fever pitch for a coach they knew the more insane part of the fan base really wanted, intentionally stoked the fire and are surprised when it blew up in their faces.

How are these idiots employed.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/pat_dooley/status/935218900266049536

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

Grantham is an idiot and I look forward to facing him every season.

His S&P+ rankings since 2010 are [38, 8, 14, 43] (at UGA), [12, 21, 19] (at UL), and [21] (at Miss State).

He's no Dan Quinn but he's sure as poo poo better than Shannon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's a solid deal

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sounds about right.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't even comprehend. The Athletic Director and Chancellor of a major university colluding together to intentionally mislead fans with fake flights and bullshit interviews. What the hell is going on in Knoxville?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also Stephen A. Smith's Schiano rant is pretty great, can't link the actual video but it's up on his facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/stephena/

• Locked thread