Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Creative Assembly hasn't put together an interesting unit roster since Shogun 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Wargame was better and less gimmicky and steel division is better than wargame.

Wasn't wargame just world in conflict for autism-havers?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

Creative Assembly hasn't put together an interesting unit roster since Shogun 2.

War... hammer?

I guess that wasn't actually CA, in which case: proceed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Wasn't wargame just world in conflict for autism-havers?

It was a lot bigger, didn't kneecap you into one kind of unit and had a more interesting air gameplay.

sebmojo posted:

War... hammer?

I guess that wasn't actually CA, in which case: proceed.

Warhammer's unit rosters tend toward the same lovely good-better-best unit relationships they've made since rome 2.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

It was a lot bigger, didn't kneecap you into one kind of unit and had a more interesting air gameplay.

If it holds up today I should check it out

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ditty bout my clitty posted:

If it holds up today I should check it out

Red Dragon is the latest one with all the bells and whistles. It still gets played in MP.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Panzeh posted:

Warhammer's unit rosters tend toward the same lovely good-better-best unit relationships they've made since rome 2.

This is how like every strategy game unit roster ever made has worked fwiw

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sebmojo posted:

spec ops the line had really good combat, though that last fight up the hill was too hard imo

I know a of people say the combat was generic on purpose but I actually liked the combat a lot. I mean it's not why the game is an absolute classic, but it's really good.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Lodin posted:

Grey Goo was the last traditional RTS I can remember and that's a couple of years old. It seemed pretty good.

Nobunaga's Ambition?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I like Lufia 2 more than Final Fantasy 6

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know a of people say the combat was generic on purpose but I actually liked the combat a lot. I mean it's not why the game is an absolute classic, but it's really good.

it gave a little pop of slowmo for a headshot that you could use to shoot another guy in the head, and was also a fairly serviceable and nicely controlled shooter, I just think people want to give it a "bad gameplay good story" narrative when really the gameplay is definitely decent and services the game

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Snake, Rattle and Roll and Marble Madness were the best games ever made and everything has been downhill since.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was really fun for reasons I’m still not sure if.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i know mass effect andromeda was a target of gamergate drama but playing through it, it really is interesting and notably strange how many women they put in the plot and they way they are presented. Ladies in games are cool but it is quite jarring the amount of generically tough lady soldier people you meet in that game, they are all the same example of a tough well rounded military leader woman. The character design as a whole in that game just seems like they are trying to add diversity but without any actual character diversity, making everybody into these perfect well rounded tough lady archetypes.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
what was the last actual good need for speed game?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Magius1337est posted:

I'd kill for a Red Alert 2 and Generals remake/remaster and a continuation in the series that isn't as cartoony as Red Alert 3 was

Red Alert 2 is already too cartoony. Red Alert 1 was the perfect mix of a few jokes and a pretty serious war theme, while incorporating some cool Sci fi toys.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
assasins creed 1 sucks and is really repetitive

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

i know mass effect andromeda was a target of gamergate drama but playing through it, it really is interesting and notably strange how many women they put in the plot and they way they are presented. Ladies in games are cool but it is quite jarring the amount of generically tough lady soldier people you meet in that game, they are all the same example of a tough well rounded military leader woman. The character design as a whole in that game just seems like they are trying to add diversity but without any actual character diversity, making everybody into these perfect well rounded tough lady archetypes.

I haven't played it, but I think there's been a push for more stuff like that lately and it makes its way into media in a not so graceful way sometimes. Diversity is good, and some things handle it really well and other things are clunky as gently caress about it, but it's hard to call it out when it is clunky, because you don't want to get lumped in with the gamer gate trash fire.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played it, but I think there's been a push for more stuff like that lately and it makes its way into media in a not so graceful way sometimes. Diversity is good, and some things handle it really well and other things are clunky as gently caress about it, but it's hard to call it out when it is clunky, because you don't want to get lumped in with the gamer gate trash fire.

i really like diverse characters, games like Horizon Zero Dawn are great for this with a pretty even split and an array of personalities, but seriously every woman in Andromeda looks like she's gonna flex at me and go "You think women can't be soldiers? Think again, bub." Like dude I am convinced already, you don't have to do these weird depictions of the We Can Do It lady wearing power armour. Its sad that gamergate talked over any actual discussion of this with hateful garbage, and now it is a ~controversial opinion~

VVVVV lol this guy isn't stylish at all VVVVV

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

devil may cry sucks btich! owned!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Andromeda was super duper bad and I can't believe the "villain" was such a blatant mishmash of a previous series villain.

For content: Risen is one of the worst "RPGs" I've ever played. It's awful through and through.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Caesar Saladin posted:

i really like diverse characters, games like Horizon Zero Dawn are great for this with a pretty even split and an array of personalities, but seriously every woman in Andromeda looks like she's gonna flex at me and go "You think women can't be soldiers? Think again, bub." Like dude I am convinced already, you don't have to do these weird depictions of the We Can Do It lady wearing power armour. Its sad that gamergate talked over any actual discussion of this with hateful garbage, and now it is a ~controversial opinion~

I don't have an opinion on ME - Andromeda itself, I've never played it, but this sort of thing sucks when it shows up. It's shouldn't be that hard to explain that diversity means treating women & minorities like normal human beings, who have the same range of personalities as everyone else. Some women are tough & smart, some are weak & well-meaning, and some are just plain assholes, just like everyone else.

Ideally, there's room in games for, e.g, an unsympathetic trans character - not because they're trans, but because they're a real piece of poo poo. I've certainly met a couple in my life. But I can't imagine any games writer who would want to take such a risk. On the one hand, weird gamergaters will attack you for having a trans character at all, and on the other unless you are an absolute master at tone, you will slip up in the writing somewhere and have a billion idiot 'thinkpiece' writers jump down your throat. Hell, it might happen even if your writing is unimpeachable. And to be honest I can't really fault the trans community for having a hair trigger* on the issue, because most transgender representation is horrifying at worst and hamfisted at best.

As a Jew, I can absolutely say I want to see more Jewish bad guys, so long as they're not all 'Moishe Goldberg, Investment Banker and Secret Illuminatus'. I want characters who are characters, not stereotypes. I suppose positive stereotypes are better than negative ones, but if that's all you have, your writing still sucks.

*heh, trigger. get it??????

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Magius1337est posted:

what was the last actual good need for speed game?

Need for Speed 2, the soundtrack is sick as hell.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I can't believe how good the XCOM 2 expansion is. I waited a while so that the mods caught up and goddamn. It's got me hooked like I'm playing Civ as a kid.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i don't know if this is unpopular or not because the only other AC game i've played is 4, but....AC:O is really cool. i still don't really know what's going on but i'm raiding temples and killing off guys to free prisoners and poo poo and it's just really fun to play

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
2017 was a really good year for video games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that unpopular? Every year since like 2014 has been killer for games.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I feel like this one in particular was even good among those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say Q1 of this year was unprecedented but after that it's been sort of slow. Still probably like a dozen or more great games so far though so yeah it's been a good year.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

i don't know if this is unpopular or not because the only other AC game i've played is 4, but....AC:O is really cool. i still don't really know what's going on but i'm raiding temples and killing off guys to free prisoners and poo poo and it's just really fun to play

that's the consensus, I believe, the only grumbles are that it's more AC.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Reminds me of Dragon Age inquisition where multiple characters are just chomping at the bit to give you lengthy meandering lectures about gender and about how people in this fantasy world are progressive. I mean, fine, but that's not how people talk or act. If you go with that angle, you got to actually integrate it into a game, not deliver it through condescending diatribes aimed at the troglodyte player.

But I guess BIoware in general can't do subtlety. DAI was also a game that took a very simple and not at all original metaphorical concept from its prequel (|the Game,| a way to describe court intrigue in one of the countries, which means that everybody wears "masks" to hide their motives and has to "play" games to maintain their status) and made it as literal as if it were interpreted by robots (they literally wear masks 100% of the time and literally have turned their politics and espionage into games, their assassins loving wear clown costumes and poo poo).

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 27, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

But I guess BIoware in general can't do subtlety.

lol you don't say!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Magius1337est posted:

assasins creed 1 sucks and is really repetitive

this is not unpopular nor controversial

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
halo is better on pc

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Magius1337est posted:

halo is better on pc

Halo is a bad game on any platform. Ever.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
halo's pistol wasn't meant to be some sort of super .45 magnum, they just failed to account for the distance and accuracy it was going to be used in multiplayer

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Assassin's Creed 1 is actually the best of the entire series. Not by virtue of gameplay or story but simply because it is the only one that even attempts to make you work like an assassin instead of an enraged murder beast.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

facebook jihad posted:

The N64 was kind of a piece of poo poo that had good games. Nintendo did basically everything wrong possible in the build up towards it and survived on its branding, IPs, and some good contributions by Rare to have the modest success it did.

If anyone else came out with the equivalent of the N64 in 1996 it would be laughed at and dismissed as a joke. But that’s Nintendo for you.

Nintendo hasn't released a good console since the SNES.

sebmojo posted:

spec ops the line had really good combat, though that last fight up the hill was too hard imo

Spec Ops' gameplay is Gears of War with downs and the game tries to moralize on you for playing it. It's a really stupid loving game.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just got the remastered Uncharted series and have played through most of the first one and holy poo poo is it a bad start to a franchise. Boring gunplay and enemy spawns that make old Farcry look cutting edge. I know that the first uncharted isn't looked upon as fondly as later ones but this is bad. You can see the bones of The Last of Us in the mess though, so at least there's something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

I just got the remastered Uncharted series and have played through most of the first one and holy poo poo is it a bad start to a franchise. Boring gunplay and enemy spawns that make old Farcry look cutting edge. I know that the first uncharted isn't looked upon as fondly as later ones but this is bad. You can see the bones of The Last of Us in the mess though, so at least there's something.

Yeah it's a huge slog to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Assassin's Creed 1 is actually the best of the entire series. Not by virtue of gameplay or story but simply because it is the only one that even attempts to make you work like an assassin instead of an enraged murder beast.

it turns out that the assassins were founded by 2 enraged murder beasts who also liked to gently caress a lot