Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TFRazorsaw posted:

You’re right guys, two relatives named Professor Oak being identical and having the same job is too unrealistic in the franchise where the vetinary and police professions are all explicitly handled by two separate massive families of perfectly identical individuals.

They're also dittos you fool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And their nefarious plot is to draw attention to themselves by all appearing to be the same person, apparently:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can’t believe this joke of cosmic coincidence is not logically sound.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uhm. I’m not trying to shut the joke down. I’m just trying to add to it. Like, highlight and contrast the absurdity of it. Sorry, that’s not really how I meant to come across.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I’ve spent too long with people who make completely sincere posts in the same vein to tell otherwise, sorry.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s not your fault, it’s something I keep smacking face first into.

I dunno. I have problems talking to people and a sarcastic tone is nearly default on the internet so I screw up pretty consistently when trying to figure it out with other people and using it myself.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Strange Quark posted:

I guess I’ve spent too long with people who make completely sincere posts in the same vein to tell otherwise, sorry.

i don't accept your apology

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Countblanc posted:

i don't accept your apology

Please I’m trying my best

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why the hell is Necrozma - Final Form just suddenly 10 levels higher than the previous strongest enemy in the game, Necrozma form 2 that you fought only 2 minutes ago?! Why does it get totem boosts on top of that!?!?! And most importantly why didn't I bring along any pokemon that resisted psychic??? I mean, geez. I still managed to beat it and all but I kinda feel like the level jump could have been thought out a bit better. Cool setpiece though. Wish more was done with it. Maybe in the post-game.

You know what? Honestly a lot of the added stuff has been pretty lame. A lot of the smaller additions have been cool and fun and great but many of the bigger changes have fallen flat for me. I still think i'm enjoying it more than og Sun and Moon (if only because i'm rotating around a team of about 15 pokemon I've never used before and think are cool, and that's been way more doable and more fun than I thought) but unlike most 3rd versions I don't know if it's as much of an overall improvement.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno. I generally prefer USUM in all regards.

Lusamine generally being more of an egomaniac who thinks she knows better than everyone on how to protect people sits better with me than the Hollywood mental illness the original game runs with. Guzma being recruited to join her in defeating Necrozma also makes his character come off as less of a blithering idiot; SM has him not really having any idea what the hell Lusamine’s goal is while the idea of “help me save the world from this light devouring monster” fits with his storyarc of being a fallen ace who wants to do great things.

Necrozma in general is a fair bit more compelling and interesting as far as stakes go, what with it being a monster driven to pain and madness and becoming a legitimate threat to the world around it, especially compared to a nefarious scheme that basically amounted to a lady really wanting to hang out with a space jellyfish for all eternity.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

a nefarious scheme that basically amounted to a lady really wanting to hang out with a space jellyfish for all eternity.

I actually like this bit though. I guess this is only spoilers for SuMo but whatever: Lusamine being incredibly petty is refreshing after three generic doomsday villains in a row. She's just completely mad with grief/ vague mind poison and going to starve herself and Guzma to death in Ultra Space playing with her cool jellyfish pets. Your grand mission is just to save two idiots from themselves (and one of the Idiots is Lillie's mom so there's that to provide a nice character arc for her too). Rarely do you see that kind of very personal storytelling in JRPGs let alone Pokemon.

Now, I don't think the new way is actually worse, but the old one wasn't bad either. Lusamine certainly comes out of the update a way more interesting character so that's a huge plus.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eh, I ain't finished with the game and all but while everything's still fine and like good and all I don't think it all comes together. I like new less garbage Lusamine but they didn't change her enough for her new motivation and greater sanity. For one, why does she still keep cryogenically frozen pokemon in her basement and why does nobody talk about that? That's kinda hosed up and also wholly unrelated to everything else she does, why is it still a thing? Like, many things are forgivable in the pokeworld because it is goofy and silly, but doing bad things to pokemon themselves is hella heinous.

Her moments when she's being an rear end in a top hat and terrible but also pretty sincerely caring about her kids are good, but she honestly gets a less good resolution with Lillie than in og sm. Which is kinda just because Lillie gets the same set up for an arc but the conclusion doesn't really happen, Lillie doesn't get to stand up to her mum and they talk about family issues offscreen. Also necrozma's cool and everything but it's legitimately not as cool as Niheligo, and a dragon of pure light ain't as fun as bad mum becoming an evil jellyfish monster and then having a regular pokemon battle with you.

But I didn't mean only the story beats. The new minigames are just not really that fun and I don't think the pacing's really improved that much. I think the intro is slightly sped up but there's extra scenes getting interrupted by the recon squad so not really, and their fights are lame too. But maybe i'm only noticing it this time round since i've been through so much of it before. The new sidequests though are all fantastic, level curve is better, lots of great additions to the dex and the important characters have more pokemon in their teams which is very good. There's a lot of really fun stuff in this game but also there's just several things where i'm like "huh, I think this was better in the previous game".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I just got a shiny timid Poipole on GTS that's already EV trained. All that Nidoran breeding is paying off big time. Now, time to see if I can BS a Zapdos out of this. :v:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
samson oak is a result of team rocket's cloning program on their cinnabar island mansion, as they desired professor oak's knowledge and brainpower for themselves. however he escaped, but couldn't escape his identity as the island oak so he fled to alola where he assumed the identity of professor oak's cousin.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The cryogenically frozen Pokémon thing is explained and elaborated on in one of the post game side quests. An Aether employee mentions it’s a very conservation method that was part of Lusamine’s more extreme methods, and they’re going to try to take care of them until they’re able to find a way to safely undo it. So it’s less a whole trophy thing like in the original games and more Lusamine forcing her methods on everyone else.

Amppelix posted:

I actually like this bit though. I guess this is only spoilers for SuMo but whatever: Lusamine being incredibly petty is refreshing after three generic doomsday villains in a row. She's just completely mad with grief/ vague mind poison and going to starve herself and Guzma to death in Ultra Space playing with her cool jellyfish pets. Your grand mission is just to save two idiots from themselves (and one of the Idiots is Lillie's mom so there's that to provide a nice character arc for her too). Rarely do you see that kind of very personal storytelling in JRPGs let alone Pokemon.

Now, I don't think the new way is actually worse, but the old one wasn't bad either. Lusamine certainly comes out of the update a way more interesting character so that's a huge plus.

I can see that, but like... Guzma just kind of flickers out in the other version. Like, he follows after her like a loyal puppy sure, but they never show us what he expects to happen.

But I don’t know, the original just... we get our first female villain, and instead of her evil plans being about her ideals, it’s about a delusion that got forced into her head because a space octopus poisoned her years ago. Say what you will about Lysandre and Cyrus they at least had something they believed in. USUM makes Lusamine driven by a flawed belief and trust that only she knows best how to save the world, where before it’s just “oh the first female villain went Hollywood crazy after losing her husband and getting poisoned for years. That figures.”

Edit - Also, the more I think about it, I think the Necrozma thing fits better with Alola’s theme of living in harmony with Pokémon. In the end, it’s not an evil being, it’s a victim of those who didn’t understand it, who had its body broken and its power stolen by people who misused it. There’s no real overall VILLAIN in USUM (outside of Episode RR), no take over plot, just antagonists who make mistakes and take advantage of others to make up for something they don’t have. In the end it comes down to showing them where they went wrong and starting over to rebuild what’s broken.

Nihilego being the source of everything isn’t BAD, but it comes too close to something I don’t care for when applied to Pokémon: where they’re the monsters and Pokémon are evil. In the end, it works because Nihilego isn’t evil, just alien and dangerous to those who don’t understand it, but it comes too close to Pokémon as villains for my liking, and there’s no real denouement where they clarify that it and the other UBs aren’t inherently a threat, you just catch them and remove them from those they might harm.

I dunno. That sort of thing fits better in the Mystery Dungeon series or something like Digimon.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 27, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean even in sun and moon Lusamine has more motivation and like reason behind her actions and personality than cyrus and lysandre. Largely because those guys don't really have much of a history or meaningful relationships with the cast. And I don't just mean "oh she is grief crazy cause dead husband" but like first she just was obsessed with killing ultra beasts for revenge but she eventually used them as a replacement for her family as she started to drive them away due to being terrible until she eventually decides to live in the jellyfish zone. That's still just real simple stuff and all, gen vii's about family, every character except Faba's related to it, so the main villain's someone with an overdramatic distorted perception about it. And it's not super great or anything but there's an actual progression there somewhere. Which I think legitimately is more interesting and makes for a better character than "I had a bad childhood so I decided to start a cult and recreate the universe" or "I realised one day people were bad so i'm going to destroy all people". Not that Lusamine's a real stand out villain or anything but if you're gonna compare her to other pokemon bad guys I think she comes off ok.

Also Nihilego are good and pure and my friends and they were just scared and accidentally bonded with the bad lady who was already being quite terrible anyway. They did nothing wrong and I love them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s not that those guys had a lot of depth or that they may or may not have been well written. It’s that their goals were their own and they came from who they were. Lusamine in SM meanwhile is the first major female villain and her character is driven by a mental breakdown triggered by a space monster’s space poison and we never really see her when she’s NOT influenced by an interdimensional jellyfish.

I’m just saying it’s kinda side-eyeable and that’s why I prefer the alternative.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow. Necrozma outsped and OHKOd every single pokemon on my team. That has to be the most challenging a pokemon boss has ever been. Admittedly, thanks to my playstyle my team was at a nice ten level deficit compared to it, but still. I only won without grinding up the team because the AI is silly and doesn't realize what's going on when you bring in zoroark disguised as something that's weak to psychic, it just keeps spamming the supposed weakness and it keeps being ineffective.

E: Thinking about it, I guess another pretty valid strategy is the good old PP stall. Just use X Sp. Defence on something bulky and then spam potions until it's out of Photon Geysers

E2: I can't wait for literally every single nuzlocke attempt without foreknowledge to end at that boss

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 27, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Sorry, I was just waking up and heading to work when I posted that, haha. But it's still appreciated!

In a similar vein, assuming I go with Psychic/Thunderbolt/Nasty Plot for the base of Alolachu's moveset, what's a good fourth move for him? Honestly never used a Chu since Yellow so I have no idea what these mice can do.

Late but you can get a Pikachu with Surf in this game

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ROFL Octopus posted:

Late but you can get a Pikachu with Surf in this game

Can't get Nasty Plot in that case.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

a nefarious scheme that basically amounted to a lady really wanting to hang out with as a space jellyfish for all eternity.

fixed it for you

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

Can't get Nasty Plot in that case.

pichu was a mistake

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I preferred Lusamine's character from regular Sun and Moon. She was a manipulative and controlling parent, and you don't see much of that in Pokemon games. They definitely lessened that aspect of her character in USUM, so there's less family drama and Lusamine's relationship with her children wasn't damaged as much as it was in the original games.

Also, I really liked fighting her when she was fused with a space jellyfish. That was fun.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Stumbled on this completionist checklist for USUM and it scratches an itch like nothing else. Really irritated they included the shiny minior on the list, though.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Nessa posted:

I preferred Lusamine's character from regular Sun and Moon. She was a manipulative and controlling parent, and you don't see much of that in Pokemon games. They definitely lessened that aspect of her character in USUM, so there's less family drama and Lusamine's relationship with her children wasn't damaged as much as it was in the original games.

Also, I really liked fighting her when she was fused with a space jellyfish. That was fun.

I wonder how a bizarre (and apparently universally recognized) coming of age ritual in which 11 year olds travel alone across the country fighting dangerous monsters might have altered parenting in the pokemon world.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/botjira/status/935188049142546432

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nessa posted:

That was such a letdown cause... you don’t actually get to fight her, so what was the point of her fusing?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I caught Solgaleo with a bashful nature so I figured I might as well also try to catch Necrozma with a neutral nature in case I want it to fuse with the Lunala. First catch was also bashful. Now to get a bashful Lunala, I guess?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why isn't there a swordfish Pokemon?

Edit: OR A GAR?!?

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 27, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hustlin Floh posted:

Why isn't there a swordfish Pokemon?

Edit: OR A GAR?!?

I don't blame you for forgetting that exists though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nessa posted:

It was such a missed opportunity not to fight her while she was in the jellyfish

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't blame you for forgetting that exists though

that's supposed to be a swordfish?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's supposed to be a swordfish?

maybe it's a gar

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Jade Mage posted:

Yeah I think it's POIson/POLE as in shaft like a needle, put together to make it sound like the colour purple!

As to the other thing, just about an hour ago I finished my 9 hour soft reset hell:

Avalerion posted:

That was such a letdown cause... you don’t actually get to fight her, so what was the point of her fusing?
I propose an alternate end to sun/moon where this happens and you can catch lusafish in a pokeball, making lillie go "hey player, what the gently caress"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The whole climax in USUM is way worse than in SM because Gladion and Lillie's actions don't make sense if they don't come from a broken family, Lillie's arc ends with a whimper without her speech on exeggcutor island and with Nebby getting chumped so easily, and Necrozma is a literal who of a villain compared to SM's Lusamine

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Bought a used copy of HeartGold (because I'm sick, okay? It keeps me up at night that I don't have the Legend Ribbon!) and good lord, Red is tough. Slamming against the E4 over and over to level my guys up cause there wasn't much reason to get them past 60 in Platinum.

Is there any reason for me to get USUM in a timely manner? I know there's Dusk Dog but a) he sucks and b) one of you good people can throw me a breedject at any time. Have they started anything like Global Missions or Mega Stone giveaways yet? I'm not paying much attention in this thread 'cause I don't wanna be too spoilered.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Outside of the dog there isn't any other event going on. Best reason to get US/UM right now if you must do something is to abuse Stakataka in doubles until people remember that they can also use Bulldoze.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

maybe it's a gar

Gar are freshwater you silly goose. That's just a scallop that turned into a shitfish.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

The whole climax in USUM is way worse than in SM because Gladion and Lillie's actions don't make sense if they don't come from a broken family, Lillie's arc ends with a whimper without her speech on exeggcutor island and with Nebby getting chumped so easily, and Necrozma is a literal who of a villain compared to SM's Lusamine

Well they are still a broken family. Lusamine's controlling parenting style is reframed as her being controlling and demanding and forcing her standards on her kids out of a warped protective instinct, rather than a transference of her obsession with Nihilego. She's still willing to hurt and sacrifice Nebby, which is what motivates Lillie to run off, and Gladion is driven to not allow what happened to his father repeat itself and become strong in his own way. That all makes sense enough to me.