Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

What is the reasoning that everyone on twitter s*lf-censors? Are they afraid their mom is going to ground them for typing gently caress on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The NYT is descending pretty quickly into just another clickbait site:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/934881971507023872

Cheers, all. All I can say at first glance is that if you are worried about an organized group attacking your wedding, you are DEFINITELY doing SOMETHING wrong...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phanatic posted:

That’s a hell of a pull quote and definitely clickbait, but the article itself is actually pretty good - its thesis seems essentially to be that in the hurry to identify and distance themselves from what looks like monstrous behavior (sexual harassment), men are ignoring that the behavior is just the extreme end of acculturated (“toxic”) masculinity and that needs to be addressed.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Besesoth posted:

That’s a hell of a pull quote and definitely clickbait, but the article itself is actually pretty good - its thesis seems essentially to be that in the hurry to identify and distance themselves from what looks like monstrous behavior (sexual harassment), men are ignoring that the behavior is just the extreme end of acculturated (“toxic”) masculinity and that needs to be addressed.

With, of course, the grand sweeping generalization of it being ALL masculinity, so you can attract the eyes of self-doubting men and critical women...

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What is the reasoning that everyone on twitter s*lf-censors? Are they afraid their mom is going to ground them for typing gently caress on the internet?

Twitter has suspended people for typing the word "rear end" in a post @ someone verified. The schadenfreude is anyone using that hell website.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It's so it doesn't give you weird poo poo in your sidebar ads, I think.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
what kind of deranged lunatic browses without adblock these days?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most people use Twitter on their phone and ad block isn't as easy on phones

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Most people use Twitter on their phone and ad block isn't as easy on phones

I use AdGuard and it seems to work pretty well unless you need a VPN on your phone. (AdGuard pretends to be a VPN to intercept all traffic.)

EDIT: That also allows it to block app ads too.

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Nov 27, 2017

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

halp

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Phanatic posted:

:capitalism:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samizdata posted:

With, of course, the grand sweeping generalization of it being ALL masculinity, so you can attract the eyes of self-doubting men and critical women...

not a generalization ya dumb

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

While it is totally cool to be a Nazi on Twitter they have been known to suspend accounts for uttering the dreaded f-word at times.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

not a generalization ya dumb

We'll agree to disagree. Too late to argue.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samizdata posted:

We'll agree to disagree. Too late to argue.

I agree you unironically post #NotAllMen on twitter lol

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

I agree you unironically post #NotAllMen on twitter lol

Well, one would imagine if all men were such an issue, I would be out of my job where I work which is over 80% women from the CEO right down to my direct boss. Nope, been there just short of three years and no one has ever said a word about my behavior and my annual evals have been sterling.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Get a load of this guy

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Im a man and i want/deserve to die

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's perfectly normal. It's called "suicidal depression". We all get that from time to time. You may want to have someone take look at that though so it doesn't get worse :glomp:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Fart of Presto has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Nov 27, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

This is even better than Teddy longlegs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drat it, that would have been an awesome Xmas present for my niece.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Twitter has an automated filter that looks for words commonly associated with toxic behavior, and if you post toxic words it will shitlist you and hide your tweets from people who aren't following you.

Besides the obvious flaws, this filter also includes a lot of LGBT terms since trolls tend to use them insultingly, effectively segregating people who aren't heteronormative.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

fisting by many posted:

Twitter has an automated filter that looks for words commonly associated with toxic behavior, and if you post toxic words it will shitlist you and hide your tweets from people who aren't following you.

Besides the obvious flaws, this filter also includes a lot of LGBT terms since trolls tend to use them insultingly, effectively segregating people who aren't heteronormative.

Also they have no problem letting Nazis drop slurs all over the place.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

twitter is so bad. just write on the walls in the toilets like a normal person.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

FuhrerHat posted:

twitter is so bad. just write on the walls in the toilets like a normal person.

How many public bathrooms do you think Milo's been banned from?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

zakharov posted:

Also they have no problem letting Nazis drop slurs all over the place.

Just set your region to France or Germany. Presto, Nazis are gone.

They only give a poo poo when they're compelled by law to.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

nael posted:

His blood is naturally between 12 and 20 percent alcohol.

Jesus: "I need more faith in my alcohol system :smug:"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

SpacePig posted:

How many public bathrooms do you think Milo's been banned from?

You're not thinking this through. How many public bathrooms has he been locked inside?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://gfycat.com/QualifiedFeistyGermanwirehairedpointer

e - Forgot how to embed, it's safe for work guy breaking a shop door.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jippa posted:

haha steel toe boots?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jippa posted:

I really like the stop-in-place response like he's just been a punchline on a variety show or something. Also, a Papa John's. Very deserving.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the ceo of twitter follows multiple nazis including mike cernovich so it's very much working as intended

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlmightyBob posted:

the ceo of twitter follows multiple nazis including mike cernovich so it's very much working as intended

dang

lowtax is never gonna get verified

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Folks who take pride in fully completing games are mad that a very difficult playthrough in a game has an achievement tied to it, so they aren't going to buy it.

(stolen from the Dragging Down thread)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when xbox first started adding achievements, I thought nobody would ever give a poo poo about them

:smith:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why are gamers such gigantic crybabies?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How will my friends (well, the people on my friends list) know how leet I am if I can't get every cheevo? I call them cheevos because I get them so often that saying achievement takes too much time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Ahaha, holy poo poo. This appears a couple of times on the page:

quote:

[Edit to remove mention of petition]

Why does every minor problem with video games merit having a loving petition about it? Jesus christ, buy the game or don't for whatever childish reasons you want. Don't go demanding poo poo from a game you haven't even bought or played yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

because they identify as gamers