Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hell, Buffalo Trace is way cheap and miles better than Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Origami Dali posted:

Evan Williams is cheaper and better than Jack, it's not a high bar.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Origami Dali posted:

The list of booze, even just whisky, cheaper and better than JD is pretty long.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks everyone! This isn't a very bourbon-friendly country but I'll be on the lookout for Four Roses.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Successfully stood in line in Kentucky this morning to pick up a bottle of Weller 12. Too bad I'm going to have to wait to bring it back to Pennsylvania.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm starting to get asked what I want for Christmas, but if I want something I usually buy it so I'm struggling to come up with a list. More whiskey is always welcome though! Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who really likes Laphroaig (quarter and ten)? I've had the other big Islay hitters, Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigeadail but didn't enjoy those quite so much as the Laphroaigs. Something around that price range (£50) would be ideal.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Frankston posted:

I'm starting to get asked what I want for Christmas, but if I want something I usually buy it so I'm struggling to come up with a list. More whiskey is always welcome though! Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who really likes Laphroaig (quarter and ten)? I've had the other big Islay hitters, Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigeadail but didn't enjoy those quite so much as the Laphroaigs. Something around that price range (£50) would be ideal.

Have you tried Longrow?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

biglads posted:

Have you tried Longrow?

No but that looks like a good possibility, thanks.

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HatfulOfHollow posted:

High West Midwinter Nights Dram. Depending on where you are it may be hard to find but a few years ago it was readily available. The internet ruins everything.

thanks, i'll check it out
should have specified i'm mainly looking for scotch, but rye is good too

Radio Nowhere posted:

There's Pikesville Rye that's pretty much older Rittenhouse at a higher proof, but also double the price.

pikesville owns, didn't realize it was that low of a rye mash considering how flavorful it is

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

the fancy or limited NAS releases from Laphroaig and Ardbeg don't impress me much for the price, personally i stick with the standard 10 for both (ardbeg being my current preference)

for Islay check out Bunnahabhain 12 if you're interested in something less heavy on the peat that still retains some of the seaside tastes of Laphroaig
for Isle of Skye check out Talisker 10

Planetarium fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 29, 2017

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
For all intents, Bunnahabhain isn’t less heavy on peat. It has none...no more than a typical Speyside.

If he really likes Laphroaig, he should try Kilchoman or Ardmore.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidsafe posted:

For all intents, Bunnahabhain isn’t less heavy on peat. It has none...no more than a typical Speyside.

If he really likes Laphroaig, he should try Kilchoman or Ardmore.

No, it does have some peat, definitely more than a typical speyside (which will have little or none).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

No, it does have some peat, definitely more than a typical speyside (which will have little or none).

I will defer to others like biglads or spankmeister, but I simply don’t trust you. I cannot detect any more peat in Bunnahabhain than in something like Glenlivet or Glendronach. To me it has less peat than Glenmorangie or Glenfarclas. It has less peat than Highlands like Oban and Dalwhinnie and less than Hazelburn, which is triple distilled.

Bunnahabhain AFAIK comes in ~1-2ppm as a result of water source and virtually undetectable by human taste, so I don’t know what to tell you. I’m of course ignoring the specifically peated releases like Toiteach.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 30, 2017

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

I bought a very peaty Bunna 8 yr old last year. Gordon and MacPhail release though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jamsta posted:

I bought a very peaty Bunna 8 yr old last year. Gordon and MacPhail release though.

Yes they do peated runs for Toiteach and I guess for indie bottlers. Their house style is 1-2ppm.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 30, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidsafe posted:

I will defer to others like biglads or spankmeister, but I simply don’t trust you. I cannot detect any more peat in Bunnahabhain than in something like Glenlivet or Glendronach. To me it has less peat than Glenmorangie or Glenfarclas. It has less peat than Highlands like Oban and Dalwhinnie and less than Hazelburn, which is triple distilled.

Bunnahabhain AFAIK comes in ~1-2ppm as a result of water source and virtually undetectable by human taste, so I don’t know what to tell you. I’m of course ignoring the specifically peated releases like Toiteach.

"It is also the least peated whiskey produced on the island coming in at 3 ppm of peat compared to 55 ppm for Ardbeg on the other end of the spectrum. This bottling is aged in ex bourbon and ex sherry which comprises 30% of the blend."

It's peated, just lightly. I can taste it. You're supposed to be able to, their tasting notes indicate as much.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
FWIW they rebooted the Bunnahabhain 12 like 6 years back, so you might be accustomed to the old expression.

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer
it's definitely peated, reminiscent of some Japanese single malts that have a touch of smoke, but it's further back in the flavor profile than a blend like Taketsuru pure malt or even JW Black

if he likes peat I feel it's worth looking into less peated whiskeys as well to see what flavors peat can bring out in small to medium amounts (coffee beans, black/white pepper, mossiness, a generic "earthiness" etc)

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer
re: port chat, I picked up Angel's Envy for a song and I dunno if it's my natural bourbon bias, but while it's undeniably tasty it's certainly not a complicated drink and the port influence is only barely detectable.
I like rye well enough, and it's my preferred cocktail whisky, but I just don't think I'm suited to bourbon in general. am I gonna find a noticeable difference looking at something like Blanton's compared to a basic Bulleit? cause while this Angel's Envy is a bit smoother than Bulleit, I can't say it's otherwise all that different.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

FWIW they rebooted the Bunnahabhain 12 like 6 years back, so you might be accustomed to the old expression.

I have the good versions of the 12 and 18 since the reboot. I'm literally sampling the 12 at this very moment to make sure. It's very nutty, malty, heavy/oily, but definitely not as peaty as certain Speyside and Highland whiskies like Glenfarclas, Dalwhinnie, Glenmorangie, Oban, and Hazelburn (Campbelltown.) I stand by my claim, it's for the purposes of comparing single malts, an unpeated whisky.

For the record, Bunnahabhain is one of my favorites...it's very robust.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 30, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Planetarium posted:

... cause while this Angel's Envy is a bit smoother than Bulleit, I can't say it's otherwise all that different.

I haven't tried Angel's Envy but Bulleit's biggest selling point is the cool bottle. IMO it's a $15 bourbon in a $30 bottle. Bourbon may not be for you regardless. If you try a benchmark bourbon like EC12, OGD100, 4RSB, or WT101 and don't like any of them, you're not a bourbon guy. That doesn't mean you will never find a bourbon you like.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidsafe posted:

I have the good versions of the 12 and 18 since the reboot. I'm literally sampling the 12 at this very moment to make sure. It's very nutty, malty, heavy/oily, but definitely not as peaty as certain Speyside and Highland whiskies like Glenfarclas, Dalwhinnie, Glenmorangie, Oban, and Hazelburn (Campbelltown.) I stand by my claim, it's for the purposes of comparing single malts, an unpeated whisky.

Glenmorangie is less than 2 PPM, so it has maaaaybe half the peat of Bunna. You should be able to pick up light smoke in Bunna, but not really in Glenmo or Dalwhinnie. Oban has more peat but it's not really a typical speyside/highland malt.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 30, 2017

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

kidsafe posted:

Standard Bunna is very lightly peated, but peated Bunna stands up against any of the other Islay's imo. I had a share in a cask of peated Bunna and got c. 25 bottles from it. I've put it up in blind tastings and had people swear blind to me it's an Ardbeg.

The new 12 is a load better than the old one, but the old 18 was truly awesome and as far as I can tell the new one has a much lower proportion of sherry casks and isn't as much to my taste.

Also, Hazelburn is completely unpeated (and triple-distilled) while Longrow (double-distilled) is the peatiest Campbeltown malt. Springbank (two and a bit times distilled) has a 'middle' level of peating - think Talisker rather than Lagavulin.

The Campbeltown whiskies are lovely and oily. Longrow 18 is my go-to for a peaty scotch atm.

biglads fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Talisker 10 has a similar peat level to Laphroaig, 16-22 ppm. I like it more than Laphroaig’s standard bottling, but I’ve never had quartercask.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Talisker 10 has a similar peat level to Laphroaig, 16-22 ppm. I like it more than Laphroaig’s standard bottling, but I’ve never had quartercask.

I think Laphroaig is around the 40ppm level. It is has more peat than Talisker.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Planetarium posted:

re: port chat, I picked up Angel's Envy for a song and I dunno if it's my natural bourbon bias, but while it's undeniably tasty it's certainly not a complicated drink and the port influence is only barely detectable.
I like rye well enough, and it's my preferred cocktail whisky, but I just don't think I'm suited to bourbon in general. am I gonna find a noticeable difference looking at something like Blanton's compared to a basic Bulleit? cause while this Angel's Envy is a bit smoother than Bulleit, I can't say it's otherwise all that different.

I know what you mean. I'm not huge in with bourbon, either. If it's going to be sweet, I prefer it to be richer, which lends nicely to Canadian and rye whisky.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Angel's Envy is pretty far from "traditional." I don't really care for it personally. What is it about bourbon you dont like, generally? You said you like rye, maybe a higher rye content in the mashbill might be your thing. If that's the case, you probably wont like wheaters like Larceny, Weller, etc. Like wormil said, the benchmark bourbs like EC12, WT101, 4RSB are all great places to start as they're "classic" expressions.

EC Small Batch Barrel Proof won whiskey advocate's whiskey of the year with batch B517. You might be able to find a bottle of it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 5, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Most rye you can buy today has an extremely similar flavor profile to bourbon. The main exception is MGP sourced ryes (like High West) and some Canadian ryes, which are 90-100% rye rather than 51%.

The problem with Canadian ryes is that they often add sugar or other nonsense, whereas with an American straight rye or straight bourbon you can rest assured that is not the case.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

My sweet elderly neighbors pressed me to get a free magazine from them and I got Whisky Advocate. The latest issue includes a short bit covering the more-than-a-dozen new scotch distilleries finally maturing to shelf in 2018. I love Kilchomen so I'm going to make every effort to try them all.

Is anyone here tracking any of these in particular?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's a whole bunch of Irish distilleries starting up and I'm pretty excited about that.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Rittenhouse Rye. It was a mid shelf, decently priced bottle. How does that set me in me in ryeland? My uninformed opinion says rather harsh straight, sweet and mellowed considerably with a splash of cold water.

I told my (non-whiskey loving) roommate to take a sip. He misheard me and took the whole glass and promptly coughed up a lung. While I hate him for slugging my not bottom shelf booze, I feel like watching him hate himself kinda made up for it. And also the shot of Kraken he gave me.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

A relative would like to buy me a bottle of liquor for around $50. I enjoy bourbon and rye, though I already have several bottles in the cabinet (Rittenhouse, Bulleit, Maker’s, Angel’s Envy), some of which were gifted. Was thinking of adding something Irish, maybe Redbreast 12 or - recommended by my boss - Highland Park 12 as a solid scotch to have on hand. I already have Macallan. Also open to a good bottle of bourbon or rye in that price range. Thoughts?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For scotch the best tracking map I've seen is this. Can't say how current it's kept though.

I maintain one myself for Japanese whisky

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mentalcontempt posted:

A relative would like to buy me a bottle of liquor for around $50. I enjoy bourbon and rye, though I already have several bottles in the cabinet (Rittenhouse, Bulleit, Maker’s, Angel’s Envy), some of which were gifted. Was thinking of adding something Irish, maybe Redbreast 12 or - recommended by my boss - Highland Park 12 as a solid scotch to have on hand. I already have Macallan. Also open to a good bottle of bourbon or rye in that price range. Thoughts?

Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is excellent though will run a bit over $50. Rendezvous Rye is a good experience if you haven't had it, one of the few decently aged (6+ years), 90%+ rye American ryes (most are 51%, Rendezvous is 95%). If you want some big rye notes for ~$50 its tough to beat.

In terms of Scotch that's a whole universe of stuff, but if you haven't had it Talisker 10 is a great one to try (fairly big peat, but complex and multifaceted).

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Where I'm at (NC) Buffalo Trace flies off the shelves, it's drat near impossible to find a bottle sometimes. It's a good bourbon, imo probably the best under $30, but I didn't think it was that good. Is supply really limited or something?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Where I'm at (NC) Buffalo Trace flies off the shelves, it's drat near impossible to find a bottle sometimes. It's a good bourbon, imo probably the best under $30, but I didn't think it was that good. Is supply really limited or something?

not at all
up here (New England) you can pretty much walk into any decent sized liquor store and find tons of bottles on the shelf
many of the larger stores have their own single barrel picks of it as well at the same price

Weller, and its variants are a bit harder to find, even 107 and special reserve
Elmer T. Lee has gone from a $30 shelf warmer to hidden-in-the-back-room-ask-only

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fuckin pappymania. Weller has been so hard to find around here lately, all expressions of it.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is excellent though will run a bit over $50. Rendezvous Rye is a good experience if you haven't had it, one of the few decently aged (6+ years), 90%+ rye American ryes (most are 51%, Rendezvous is 95%). If you want some big rye notes for ~$50 its tough to beat.

In terms of Scotch that's a whole universe of stuff, but if you haven't had it Talisker 10 is a great one to try (fairly big peat, but complex and multifaceted).

Thank you for the recommendations. I haven’t tried any of them, so I’ll add them to my list of things to check out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

BT is having trouble with supply. It's been some years since I visited but they are a relatively new operation and inexperienced compared to most distilleries. And they produce a number of brands and were diving into vodka, IMO they overextended themselves. And while WT, 4R, and Woodford smell like heaven; BT smelled like a barnyard. The distillery was impressive from a technical standpoint but it felt more like a factory and tourist trap than anything else. Compare against Wild Turkey where they still age barrels in barns and know how quickly each barrel will age based on it's location, to BT where everything is sterile and climate controlled. You get more consistency from BT but it also lacks character. To me, BT is the McDonalds of the bourbon industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
BT is pre-bailout General Motors badge engineering Buffalo Trace, Weller, Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, Elmer T Lee, etc. from the same 4 recipes (rye, high rye, low rye, wheat.)