Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm 26 and even imagining currently having a kid makes me want to die.

This is an odd take...:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Skwirl posted:

The most popular place to buy and sell bitcoins is called MTGexchange, it's called that because it started as a website to buy and sell Magic: The Gathering cards, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Are you talking about Mt Gox? They used to be the largest bitcoin exchange right up until they filed for bankruptcy and absconded with $450 million worth of user bitcoins.

This should also tell him something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

weird Asian candy posted:

This is an odd take...:raise:

I don't mean sometime in the future I mean if today some kid was just dropped right into my life loving literally everything up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

poo poo i'm 36, have been working as a programmer for almost 15 years at this point and I still look at having a kid as something that would be difficult to budget for.

Maybe at some point I'll be in a position to adopt. *shrug*

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Kalli posted:

Yeah, whenever anyone mentions the "oh if you had bought X two years ago, they'd be worth $50m now, not pointing out that it would've been almost completely impossible to not lose your "investment" in the various exchange hacks, let alone have a way to actually cash out.

Also apparently the vast majority of it is controlled by a chinese group generating them off of stolen power, and they change things every now and then that splinters the blockchain or something, and the people that don't move with them apparently also lose everything.

Yeah, this is the best part about the libertarian folks who love them some bitcoin while complaining about the dollar not being on the gold standard and about how it's all fake or some poo poo. Their crypto currency is extremely more volatile and more insecure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Mt. Gox used to be the largest bitcoin exchange right up until they filed for bankruptcy and absconded with $450 million worth of user bitcoins.

This should also tell him something.

That's even better. I haven't paid attention to it in a couple years.

My favorite bitcoin anecdote was someone built a massive bitcoin farming ri in his tiny dorm or studio or something, left it running overnight and it got so hot he suffered heatstroke in his sleep and ended up with permanent brain damage.

Bitcoin, it will literally break your brain

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't mean sometime in the future I mean if today some kid was just dropped right into my life loving literally everything up.

Gotcha. Yeah, I guess it's different for everyone. I was 25 with two kids and I wouldn't change a thing.

Kalli posted:

poo poo i'm 36, have been working as a programmer for almost 15 years at this point and I still look at having a kid as something that would be difficult to budget for.

Maybe at some point I'll be in a position to adopt. *shrug*

Kids are pretty stupid expensive...moving out of diapers and formula feels like a raise.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think I'll have a kid soon so that I can make somebody else be a Dolphins fan w/ me

also I need somebody for co-op video games

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

wait I think I just need friends not a kid

Nov 6, 2002

Daycare is absurdly expensive. Our youngest started kindergarten this year and we celebrated an end to 10 years of weekly daycare payments between the two kids. Easily had to have spent over 100k.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 27, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Bitcoin was an absolute laugh riot for its first couple years starting in 2011. But since it broke into a sort of mainstream existence it's just sad and pathetic.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ehud posted:

I think I'll have a kid soon so that I can make somebody else be a Dolphins fan w/ me

Don't do it! My one regret for my son is that he inherited my Falcon fandom. I feel like I failed him.

On the game front, he is at the point now where he just wipes the floor with me in almost every FPS. I still have him in Madden though. But yeah, playing video games and watching football with your boy or girl is pretty special.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ehud posted:

If you make your kid a dolphins fan one of us is going to be forced to call CPS, that's just cruel.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Daycare is absurdly expensive. Our youngest started kindergarten this year and we celebrated an end to 10 years of weekly daycare payments between the two kids. Easily had to have spent over around 100k.

Ugh, it is. My wife ended up quitting her job and opening her own day care because we were paying so much to have someone else raise our kids. She did pretty well for herself only having a handful of kids.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If I have a kid I'll try my hardest to make them a Browns fan so they also know what it's like to love something that can only ever disappoint you.

Nov 6, 2002

If you make them a Patriots fan they will forever be living in the past.

So imagine a Dolphins fan.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I remember in 2011 looking at the cart where I had 100 bitcoins queued for purchase (right around 100 bucks I guess) and I closed the browser because I thought that hundred dollars would be more useful elsewhere.

No doubt I would have sold them by the time they hit 5 dollars or whatever but I still think about it sometimes

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not having kids but if I did I'd make them Mariners fans because that poo poo builds character.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

C-Euro posted:

Now that I'm done driving 10 hours from my parents' place...
-Can coconut milk. We use Aroy-D or Chaokoah (sp.)
-Can Maesri brand Masaman curry paste
-Yellow or white onion
-Garlic
-Thai chiles (Masaman is a less spicy curry so feel free to go as light as you want here)
-Sweet potato (totally non-traditional, but really good)
-Protein (usually chicken for us)
-Thai basil for garnish
-Sugar, lime, and fish sauce for taste

Cut up your protein and veggies, then fry the garlic and chiles with a bit of oil and a third or so of the paste. Toss in the protein with another 1/3 of the paste can, then once that's cooked add your veggies with the rest of the paste. Stir it all up until the veggies are cooked through, then add the whole can of coconut milk and stir until all of the paste is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then simmer and season with lime and fish sauce. If it's too spicy, add sugar to the desired heat level. Eat now over rice with basil leaves or simmer it for however long you want and really get the flavor going.

Thai curry is really easy to make. Maybe someday we will learn how to make curry paste from scratch but I haven't had home-cooked Thai curry that didn't just use paste from a can.

Thanks for this! I have adamant curry at H-Mart all the time and want try it out at home.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Skwirl posted:

The most popular place to buy and sell bitcoins is called MTGexchange, it's called that because it started as a website to buy and sell Magic: The Gathering cards, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Magic cards hold their value better than bitcoin

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Neil Armbong posted:

No, he's a grandson of the Queen. He's 100% a prince.

Wonder how Prince Phillip will put his foot in his mouth when talking with Harry's fiance.

He's not genetically related to the Queen at all? His mom was was the Queen's daughter-in-law, but he doesn't have any "royal" blood.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

MrLogan posted:

He's not genetically related to the Queen at all? His mom was was the Queen's daughter-in-law, but he doesn't have any "royal" blood.

His dad was Prince Charles, the son of the Queen.

Nov 6, 2002

MrLogan posted:

Do you think she hatched him from an egg or what?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Neil Armbong posted:

His dad was Prince Charles, the son of the Queen.

His Dad was an army guy that Diana had an affair with. Or are we only going by the official party line of the royal family?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MrLogan posted:

His Dad was an army guy that Diana had an affair with. Or are we only going by the official party line of the royal family?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
oh poo poo

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

pubic works project posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought that was an open secret that everyone knew about, like Rodgers being gay?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Well MrLogan, Harry was 2 years old when Diana started her affair with Mr. Hewitt.....

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Bitcoin is still basically illiquid and is propped up by spuriously legal tokens, bullshit margin trading, bots, and wash trades (people buying their own sell orders).

Nov 6, 2002

This thread is taking an interesting turn. Finally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Even if it's true it doesn't matter, if the Queen of England says someone is her grandson, then he's her grandson. The only way it would become an issue if all 4 of the people in front of him in the line of succession died suddenly.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Well MrLogan, Harry was 2 years old when Diana started her affair with Mr. Hewitt.....

Also Harry has many resemblances to Prince Phillip and Earl Spencer

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Daycare is absurdly expensive. Our youngest started kindergarten this year and we celebrated an end to 10 years of weekly daycare payments between the two kids. Easily had to have spent over 100k.

Yep, my first just started daycare. $800/mo for 3 days a week.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I thought she had multiple due to an unhappy marriage?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Yeah, we spend around ~1200 a month for our son and that's def on the modest end here in Austin. However, since the public school by us is garbage, he's going to do at least k-5 in private school so that cost isn't going away any time soon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol royalty.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/935232261666066432

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Even if it's true it doesn't matter, if the Queen of England says someone is her grandson, then he's her grandson. The only way it would become an issue if all 4 of the people in front of him in the line of succession died suddenly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qm91NpP91E

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

⠀⠰⡿⠿⠛⠛⠻⠿⣷
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⣤⣄⣀⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠛⣿⣿⣿⡛⠿⠷
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⠿⠿⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠁

⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣷⣄⠀⢶⣶⣷⣶⣶⣤⣀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⠻⠗
⠀⠀⠀⣰⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣴⣶⡄