Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Most people said it’s pretty mediocre and closer to Banjo-Tooie/DK64.

It’ll certainly feel like a sack of poo poo compared to Mario now that that’s out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uh... huh.

I keep wanting to like this game since the original Xenoblade Chronicles was a breath of the freshest air, but I just can't get behind everything I see/hear about it. The pacing of all of that dialogue felt off, felt bored. Like nobody had their lines memorized so they were just reading off paper but they knew they already had the job and couldn't be fired.

Which is particularly concerning because I've got a strong itch for a portable JRPG and Octopath isn't out yet. I hope the game is secretly super self-aware of its tropiness and they've just been playing it really straight for the promos. But hope may be too generous a word.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Lodin posted:

I still think the game is missing a robot that shouts stuff like: Oy yah rotter! I swear on me mum, I'll 'ave your 'ead in and eat yah, yah mangy oval office!

Yeah, Xord was pretty great

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

spit on my clit posted:

i think the consensus was "it's more like banjo tooie instead of banjo and kazooie", but i dont recall playing either of them because that was so many years ago.

bad or not i still backed it and drat IT i want my good or bad game.

Yeah, same here. I initially picked the Wii U version for my backer reward and then changed it to the Switch. I still want it, Playtonic. Gimme my colorful N-64 era platformer!

Saying it's more like Banjo-Tooie than Kazooie isn't even a turnoff for me. Both those games were two of my favorites on that system. :shrug:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ya I like banjo tooie probably more than kazooie

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't like the fact that practically every world in Tooie wasn't possible to 100% on your first visit iirc. It was definitely more common than in Kazooie, where you'd have to revisit either freezeezy or gobi for a single jiggy after getting the move from the other world

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hammer Bro. posted:

Uh... huh.

I keep wanting to like this game since the original Xenoblade Chronicles was a breath of the freshest air, but I just can't get behind everything I see/hear about it. The pacing of all of that dialogue felt off, felt bored. Like nobody had their lines memorized so they were just reading off paper but they knew they already had the job and couldn't be fired.

Which is particularly concerning because I've got a strong itch for a portable JRPG and Octopath isn't out yet. I hope the game is secretly super self-aware of its tropiness and they've just been playing it really straight for the promos. But hope may be too generous a word.

It sounds like they hired decent VAs and then gave them literally 0 direction to work with. At least you always have the option to play with the Japanese VAs anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waltzing Along posted:

Didn't it already come out and was bad?

Yooka-Laylee had problems that could've easily been fixed but felt like they were kept in there for nostalgia reasons to feel more like old school platformers. The thing is a lot of that stuff is just... archaic now and shoulda been updated. The big problem I had with the game was not having a mini-map and if I remember right didn't have a map at all. I found that really frustrating and in general found the "go find things to do with no direction" gameplay pretty unfun. Mario Odyssey in contract had a very "go out and do whatever you want" feel to it, but had a map, had hints if you wanted them, and had a clear direction for the main game. The music in Yooka-Laylee was good though.

Also the powerup vendor girl was loving horrifying

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
protip: play jrpgs with japanese audio when possible

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kawabata posted:

protip: play jrpgs with japanese audio when possible

Nah

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
protip: always play/read/watch literally any entertainment product in the original language when possible

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kawabata posted:

protip: always play/read/watch literally any entertainment product in the original language when possible

No

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dragonball Z is objectively better in english :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kawabata posted:

protip: play jrpgs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

British voice acting is integral to the Xenoblade experience and if it isn’t good then the game isn’t worth playing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Better than AIDS maybe

maybe

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone who ever complains about voice acting or dubs is a knob. Just watch things in God's language, English

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

we have a fan of dubbing and terrible localization guys

Andrast posted:

British voice acting is integral to the Xenoblade experience and if it isn’t good then the game isn’t worth playing

it's not

you're playing the second hand version of a story with an objectively worse voice acting and narration than the original; in the rare, best cases it's not strictly worse but only "different" than what the creative director intended; in a minuscule percentage of those rare cases you could get better voice acting but localization will still be subpar

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kawabata posted:

it's not

you're playing the second hand version of a story with an objectively worse voice acting and narration than the original; in the rare, best cases it's not strictly worse but only "different" than what the creative director intended; in a minuscule percentage of those rare cases you could get better voice acting but localization will still be subpar

Nah

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I find it hard to appreciate good voice acting when the characters all sound like they are speaking gibberish to me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kawabata posted:

it's not

Again: no

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

compelling argument guys

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Kawabata posted:

it's not

When you play mario do you only listen to the odyssey theme in its original japanese

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

When you play mario do you only listen to the odyssey theme in its original japanese

not playing it atm but if I could I would

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kawabata posted:

compelling argument guys

This thing has been argued to loving death and nobody wants to read it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

nonsense, shrill dying grandma goku best goku

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Macaluso posted:

Dragonball Z is objectively better in spanish :colbert:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Kawabata posted:

not playing it atm but if I could I would

I can respect that

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kawabata posted:

this sounds almost as bad as when people were making GBS threads their pants about a "TOTALLY SUBPAR TRANSLATION" for Persona 5 when it was loving fine. I'm sure Kafka's translations weren't completely what the author intended either but guess what, I actually would like to enjoy the loving Metamorphosis

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can think of at least one JRPG series where the original writers liked the localized version of the main character more than the original Japanese and rewrote her in the sequels to be more like the NA version

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kawabata posted:

compelling argument guys

Just stop

We don't a poo poo about "bad" anime voiceovers, it's already cringey and dumb as hell, it's not gonna be any better in it's ""pure" (lmao) presentation

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A lot of arguments in favour of Japanese VA and stilted overly-literal translations are about getting the "original, intended" experience, but those things won't actually give you that.

Listening to a language you don't understand will never give you the same experience as someone who does. Reading stiff, stilted English will not give you the same experience as someone reading the fluent Japanese it was translated from. Localization exists to try and give you the most analogous and polished experience possible in your own language. You can have your preferences and sometimes localization is done poorly, but decrying the practice is dumb.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean honestly to me a bigger hurdle with games is just the story being bad rather than the dub. Like I could of played Fire Emblem Fates with the original Japanese audio and it wouldn't of improved much given the writing would still be ludicrous.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DLC Inc posted:

this sounds almost as bad as when people were making GBS threads their pants about a "TOTALLY SUBPAR TRANSLATION" for Persona 5 when it was loving fine. I'm sure Kafka's translations weren't completely what the author intended either but guess what, I actually would like to enjoy the loving Metamorphosis

It was lacking compared to some of Atlus USA's other efforts. There were typos and bits of stilted wording throughout the game. However, it was overall still pretty understandable. It just wasn't the tire fire a lot of people were making it out to be.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The English might be terribly done but on some level I like to know what's going on when I'm playing games and I don't speak Japanese and gently caress reading subtitles so idk I guess I'll just keep the language set to English

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

gently caress the original authors intent. Localize that poo poo for me, a local. Original author can sit and spin.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

P5's localization was genuinely oddly subpar for atlus (the yakuza game they helped with and utawarerumono are way better on that count), but P5's writing isn't particularly good to begin with so I can't call it a loss.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

you can't always do that with books obviously but with movies/games you can with subtitles on

some people hate subtitles and I get that but most anime things dubbed by american VAs sound like the entire cast is composed of 17 yo marines, to each his own I guess

KingSlime posted:

We don't a poo poo about "bad" anime voiceovers, it's already cringey and dumb as hell, it's not gonna be any better in it's ""pure" (lmao) presentation

which is why listening to hundreds of "YEAH" and "COME ON" in the same episode/hour of gameplay makes the experience aggressively worse

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ~Authorial Intent~ was for the audience to actually, you know, understand the game.

Localization is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watch cartoons/games in whatever language you want. Live action dubs are universally terrible.

• Locked thread