Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
English Vegeta > Japanese Vegeta, and Vegeta is objectively the best character in the show so :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I like the Xenoblade accents and if anything am disappointed that Pyra sounds like just plain old American English.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supercar Gautier posted:

A lot of arguments in favour of Japanese VA and stilted overly-literal translations are about getting the "original, intended" experience, but those things won't actually give you that.

Listening to a language you don't understand will never give you the same experience as someone who does. Reading stiff, stilted English will not give you the same experience as someone reading the fluent Japanese it was translated from. Localization exists to try and give you the most analogous and polished experience possible in your own language. You can have your preferences and sometimes localization is done poorly, but decrying the practice is dumb.

Holy poo poo a good post about voice acting

It's no different than books. Sure, if you can truly read that language fluently go for it but otherwise it is merely an academic exercise. You're better off with a good translation of The Republic with notes and poo poo than trying to parse Ancient Greek unless you are actually studying it in an extremely technical way.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Zore posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ~Authorial Intent~ was for the audience to actually, you know, understand the game.

Localization is good.

but you do, you have subtitles

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yakuza is the only game that I don't care about localization for. something about the quality of the voice actors and their inflections just works. Though I do wish there was a joke option to let Kiwami inject the insane Mark Hamill Majima back in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kawabata posted:

but you do, you have subtitles

Then you have to listen to people speaking a language you don't understand with different cultural and tonal norms.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno why localization in general is coming into this; well done translations that actually come across as fluent English are sadly rare, even from major publishers.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kawabata posted:

you're playing the second hand version of a story with an objectively worse voice acting and narration than the original; in the rare, best cases it's not strictly worse but only "different" than what the creative director intended; in a minuscule percentage of those rare cases you could get better voice acting but localization will still be subpar

lol get a load of this weeb

Go on, tell us more about the inherent superiority and untranslatability of glorious nihongo :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The original author frequently intends for their works to be translated into other languages that they may not speak.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ubisoft is having an eshop sale this week! Rayman for $26, Rabbids for $40! Gonna pick up Rayman for sure as that's been on my list for a while.

Pretty awesome to see real eshop deals even if it's not first party stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't like the fact that practically every world in Tooie wasn't possible to 100% on your first visit iirc. It was definitely more common than in Kazooie, where you'd have to revisit either freezeezy or gobi for a single jiggy after getting the move from the other world

Really? I remember having to revisit them quite a few times, but not in the cool "I got this new move and can use it to explore new places" way but because you had to pull a lever or start a fetch quest in another world for some reason or another. I think the interconnectivity of the worlds was a big selling point but most of the implementation wasn't very fun iirc. It's been a long time since I've played though

edit: lol I misread your "wasn't" , sorry. Yeah, I agree. Going back with new moves can be kind of fun but the reasons for backtracking in Tooie were often pretty boring

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

I dunno why localization in general is coming into this; well done translations that actually come across as fluent English are sadly rare, even from major publishers.

Most localizations are at least fine these days and we get a lot of really good localizations too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

goferchan posted:

Really? I remember having to revisit them quite a few times, but not in the cool "I got this new move and can use it to explore new places" way but because you had to pull a lever or start a fetch quest in another world for some reason or another. I think the interconnectivity of the worlds was a big selling point but most of the implementation wasn't very fun iirc. It's been a long time since I've played though

I think you misunderstood me, I was saying I didn't like the revisiting in Tooie. In Kazooie there was very minor revisiting so I didn't mind so much.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Supercar Gautier posted:

A lot of arguments in favour of Japanese VA and stilted overly-literal translations are about getting the "original, intended" experience, but those things won't actually give you that.

Listening to a language you don't understand will never give you the same experience as someone who does. Reading stiff, stilted English will not give you the same experience as someone reading the fluent Japanese it was translated from. Localization exists to try and give you the most analogous and polished experience possible in your own language. You can have your preferences and sometimes localization is done poorly, but decrying the practice is dumb.

You do get the prosody of the language though (intonation, pitch ranges, mood shifts etc) and that plus subtitles is often enough to get a good experience out of it provided localization isn't a good alternative. A bad localization is easily way worse than that compromise.

Sure good localizations exist but they're very far and between.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Listen to whatever language you want imo, just don't try to force it on others as being the sole option.

Of course, I've never cared about whatever language something plays in regardless of VA quality. As long as there are subs if it is a language I don't understand then I'm good. Closest I've come to that argument is probably dubs vs subs with the jojo anime and I prefer subs just because jojo is a series with lots of namedropped english stuff that loses its oomph if the whole thing is in english.

So listen to japanese XC2 if you want but don't be a butt about it. imo

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kawabata posted:

protip: play jrpgs with japanese audio when possible

Counter-point: Not for Kingdom Hearts, where the JP Disney voices are hilariously bad

Counter-Counter-point: Especially for Kingdom Hearts, where the JP Disney voices are hilariously bad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

All you really need to do is not gently caress over your actors by giving them zero context or direction. It's sadly relatively uncommon, but when you do even a small company can do a really good dub.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also its not like bad voice acting is some exclusively English phenomenon. There are many Japanese games with bad Japanese voice acting as well.

Not every sub vs dub is some tragic story of a masterful Japanese recording with a lovely English dub. Sometimes they're both bad! Sometimes the Dub is better!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Picked up Super Bomberman R, beat it in the space of an evening, realised that there are no bots in local multiplayer mode and online is a ghost town...

Guess I'm selling it on then. :(

FYI: The Cart tasted terrible!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kawabata posted:

You do get the prosody of the language though (intonation, pitch ranges, mood shifts etc) and that plus subtitles is often enough to get a good experience out of it provided localization isn't a good alternative. A bad localization is easily way worse than that compromise.

Sure good localizations exist but they're very far and between.

Intonation, pitch, and "mood" are also heavily influenced by culture and language so you might be misinterpreting much more than you think. Without a solid familiarity of the language, it really sounds like nerd wankery more than anything. But yeah it's anime so you're not missing much subtlety anyways regardless

Also holy poo poo guys, Rayman for 30 bucks?? I should have really gone for that plus REvelations instead of Skyrim :argh:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Closest I've come to that argument is probably dubs vs subs with the jojo anime and I prefer subs just because jojo is a series with lots of namedropped english stuff that loses its oomph if the whole thing is in english.

So listen to japanese XC2 if you want but don't be a butt about it. imo

Yeah Jojo is a good example. Nah both tracks should always exist in movies/games, there's no reason to force one or the other. The best counterpoint to the original language argument is that actually having to read subtitles all the time (especially in dialogue heavy stuff) sucks.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Suaimhneas posted:

Go on, tell us more about the inherent superiority and untranslatability of glorious nihongo :allears:

japanese is difficult to translate

there, friend

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kawabata posted:

Yeah Jojo is a good example. Nah both tracks should always exist in movies/games, there's no reason to force one or the other. The best counterpoint to the original language argument is that actually having to read subtitles all the time (especially in dialogue heavy stuff) sucks.

There are plenty of good counterpoints for someone not familiar with the original language to favor a localized form over the original form.

And that's okay. It's all fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Dragonball Z is objectively better in english :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rftok11jSB8&t=27s

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It’s tough to play with subtitles when a game has dialog while you are playing. I played Nier: A with the Japanese voices but I would miss some things while fighting.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Man I really need to watch the English dub of super at some point

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What the heck is winnie the pooh doing there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Fighting

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop (all releases Nov 30, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EST/9am PST for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo World Heroes - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
WORLD HEROES is a fighting game that was originally released by SNK in 1992. Eight characters based on historical celebrities such as Hattori Hanzo and Rasputin will fight each other to become the world's strongest champion. In addition to the Normal mode, a Deathmatch Mode featuring various stages full of traps awaits you for merciless battles!

Arcade Archives Traverse USA - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Traverse USA is a racing game released by IREM in 1983. Hop on a motorcycle and ride across America, avoiding cars as you head to your goal of New York City. A variety of obstacles await off-road and on, so utilise all your techniques as you participate in this race.

Gear.Club Unlimited - $44.99 / £44.99 / €49.99 (Nov 21 NA / Dec 1 EU)
Retail / Digital - [NA] [EU]
For the first time on Nintendo Switch, drive through an authentic world of cars with Gear.Club Unlimited. Get behind the wheel of the most incredible cars from the most prestigious manufacturers. Race through over 400 challenging races. Learn to master the controls of the world's fastest supercars and collect them in your garage: you can customize and tune them across the numerous workshops, then take them to the race track for the win! Challenge your friends, competing among up to 4 players on the same screen, or beat their times online.

Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 - $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (Nov 14 NA / Dec 1 EU)
Join your favorite Super Heroes and Super Villains from different eras and realities as they go head-to-head with the time-traveling Kang the Conqueror in the all-new, original adventure, LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes 2! Play as the Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Green Goblin and dozens of other Marvel Super Heroes and Villains in this cosmic battle across the time-tossed city of Chronopolis! Travel across lands -- from Ancient Egypt to The Old West, Sakaar and New York City in 2099 -- and transport objects or characters through the centuries! And, with new battle modes, friends and family can play against each other in a series of themed challenges and battle arenas!

Mujo - $9.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
MUJO is a unique puzzle game with features that cannot be found in any other game. Let’s start collecting tiles and erase them all to attack monsters! This game has no end! Enjoy whenever you want as much as you would like.

Opus: The Day We Found Earth - $5.00 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Dive into a boundless galaxy as you go on a heartfelt adventure! Help our little robot, Emeth, fulfill a centuries-old promise of finding Earth to save mankind. Step into a spaceship, and operate a deep space telescope to find out what lies beyond the boundless, unexplored outer space.

Resident Evil Revelations - $19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99 (Nov 28)
Retail (NA Only)/Digital - [NA] [EU]
The critically acclaimed survival horror title takes players back to the events that took place between Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5, revealing the truth about the T-Abyss virus. Resident Evil Revelations features series favorites Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield, plus their respective BSAA partners - Parker Luciani and Jessica Sherawat. The action begins on board a supposedly abandoned cruise ship, the ‘Queen Zenobia’, where horrors lurk around every corner, before players head for the mainland and the devastated city of Terragrigia. With limited ammo and weapons available, the race is on to survive the horror of Resident Evil Revelations. Enhance your gameplay experience even further with additional motion controls that let you aim and wield your weapons with greater accuracy on the Nintendo Switch.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 - $19.99 / £19.99 / €24.99 (Nov 30)
Retail (NA Only)/Digital - [NA] [EU]
The beginning of the Resident Evil Revelations 2 tale sees fan favorite Claire Redfield make a dramatic return. Survivor of the Raccoon City incident depicted in previous Resident Evil games, Claire now works for the anti-bioterrorism organization Terra Save. Moira Burton, is attending her welcome party for Terra Save when unknown armed forces storm the office. Claire and Moira are knocked unconscious and awaken later to find themselves in a dark and abandoned detention facility. Working together, they must find out who took them and to what sinister end. Will Claire and Moira make it out alive and discover what’s led to them being taken to this remote island? A story of twists and turns will have players guessing the next step at every turn. Enhance your gameplay experience even further with additional motion controls that let you aim and wield your weapons with greater accuracy on the Nintendo Switch.

Serial Cleaner - $14.99 / £14.99 / €14.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Can you dig it? Step into the polished shoes of The Cleaner, a professional crime scene cleaner for the mob. There's no business like the cleaning business, and right now business is booming. Sneak around crime scenes avoiding detection from the guarding cops as you vacuum up blood, hide bodies and remove evidence in this 70's styled, fast-paced, 2D action/stealth game.

Star Ghost - $8.99 / £7.99 / €8.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Blast through waves of enemies as you confront the evil Metagon empire and save the human race! A Metagon war fleet has been detected at the outer perimeter. Patrol 12 star systems in the most advanced star fighter ever built. Navigate the perilous fragments of exploding planets, survive intense asteroid fields and dogfight with deadly Sentinel ships as you defend against the relentless onslaught of the formidable Metagon empire. Blast your way through beautiful neon star systems with dynamic level generation for a different experience every time. Fly by simply boosting to gain height while aiming the turret to blast enemies that stream onto the screen. Upgrade your ship with more powerful weapons to wipe out enemy attacks and increase your score multiplier as you aim for the highest scores. Sound track by renowned composer, David Wise.

Superbeat: Xonic - $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (Nov 21 NA / Dec 8 (Retail), Nov 30 (Digital) EU)
Experience SUPERBEAT: XONiC, the new music game sensation! Play your way through 68 unique songs and unlocks tons of hidden rewards and items!

Syberia 2 - $29.99 / £26.99 / €29.99
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
The sequel of the standard-setting adventure game is finally available on the Nintendo Switch! After crossing Europe from west to east, Kate Walker finally found Hans Voralberg and got him to sign the papers approving the sale of the automaton factory. An improbable pair, Kate Walker and the eccentric old Hans Voralberg set forth in search of a forgotten world, home to the last legendary mammoths of Siberia. Hans and Kate continue the impossible undertaking that Hans had begun several years before, and their courage and perseverance take them through a range of hostile environments. Yet what lies ahead goes far beyond the limits of the imagination...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (Dec 1)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
Lead Rex, Pyra, and the world to refuge. As the giant beasts march toward death, the last hope is a scavenger named Rex—and Pyra, a living weapon known as a Blade. Can you find the fabled paradise she calls home? Command a group of Blades and lead them to countless strategic victories before the world ends. Each Titan hosts its own distinct cultures, wildlife, and diverse regions to explore. Search the vast open areas and labyrinthine corridors for treasure, secret paths, and creatures to battle and index. During these escapades you'll get to know a large cast of eclectic characters, including the weaponized life forms known as Blades. Gather these allies, bond with them to increase their power, and utilize their special ARTS to devastate enemies. But to save the world of Alrest, you must first demystify its cloudy past.

EU is also getting a retail release of Super Putty Squad this week.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kawabata posted:

there, friend

It is not

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If you're halfway fluent in that language then consuming the media in its original language is probably a worthwhile thing to do as often as possible but otherwise experience it however brings you the most entertainment personally because it will very often not matter in any other way. Taking your experience of any language through stuff like video games is usually not as enriching as people convince themselves it is unless you're planning on following through and going beyond just watching it and nodding to yourself.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Everyone who ever complains about voice acting or dubs is a knob. Just watch things in God's language, English

Eww, no. I prefer something that's actually understandable, like central Canadian, or Northern Midwest American.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Every language is difficult to localize well.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kawabata posted:

there, friend

Japanese is translated easily enough by professionals who have dedicated years of their lives to the work.

The problem these days is that people who can barely speak either Japanese or English have very loud and obnoxious opinions regarding 'intent' and 'what the language I speak/I don't speak sounds like to me', which is why we have actual trained actors providing genuine natural accents to anime JRPG #1264748 while some loving idiot who has never left his basement, much less his home state, is on YouTube this very moment complaining about how unrealistic the accent is.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Who cares, this argument is dumb. Stop replying to the bad person.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Localization is bad. It removes vagina bones. Import all titles for original bony vaginas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I the only person that always turn on subtitles? I actually enjoy being able to read them even when I can understand everything the actors are saying. If I had to guess it helps my brain feel more engaged with the media since I'm not just passively listening to it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

his gimmick is that he absorbs any hit he takes and sends it to another dimension

he is super overpowered in that sense but he has been kinda beaten as far as the rules go and not in a straight up fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

a.lo posted:

why did that man stab that child in the heart...killing him

Nothing personnel, kid

• Locked thread