Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Milkman posted:

why doesn't the sony 4k box play sony 4k movies

To keep the price down but yeah it was a dumb move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

The Milkman posted:

why doesn't the sony 4k box play sony 4k movies

Because Sony 10-K numbers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manatee Cannon posted:

well if you're just in it for the visuals then I will say that burial at sea is very pretty. the first one starts off letting you walk around rapture before it collapses and might be worth checking out for that. it's burial at sea 2 that people have been making GBS threads on constantly

Yeah part 1 is pretty good and you get to fight a big daddy just like old times

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it does seem like people here turned on infinite hard after like a week (tho the last of us did get released a week after infinite...). I liked it personally and it was pretty well received critically

not gonna defend the dlc tho

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

When it worked. Soul memory was an awful system for people like me that liked to "farm" upgrade materials and the name-engraved ring was a half-assed fix. Out of all three dark souls+BB, is the one I could co-op the least by a long shot.

This is crazy, DS2 has the most functional online systems out of any of the Soulsborne games, even including DeS (which is much more functional than BB and DS1/3)

Soul memory ranges are enormous, especially with the name engraved ring (which is a big reason co-oping with friends is easier than DeS, where you had to hide your summon sign to avoid getting summoned by a random player.)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it does seem like people here turned on infinite hard after like a week (tho the last of us did get released a week after infinite...). I liked it personally and it was pretty well received critically

not gonna defend the dlc tho

That was my experience as well. All of a sudden everyone had totally never liked it from the start you guys. It was/is super weird. I think it got too much popular praise for the ending and such and people treated it like a band that 'sells out'. Never seen a game review so well and be so well received and now for everybody to hate it.

I've brought this up before but goons just say they always hated it in the weird revisionist history around the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I couldn't give two shits about the game's politics, the actual shooting in that game felt like rear end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Low SM rat team in the grave of saints :discourse:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

That was my experience as well. All of a sudden everyone had totally never liked it from the start you guys. It was/is super weird. I think it got too much popular praise for the ending and such and people treated it like a band that 'sells out'. Never seen a game review so well and be so well received and now for everybody to hate it.

I've brought this up before but goons just say they always hated it in the weird revisionist history around the game.

I don’t think there’s any weird conspiracy around it, some people liked the game and some didn’t

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If anything review scores were probably inflated because of Ethics in Gaming Journalism

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Infinite is a game that gets worse the more you think about it, so there was a bit of an in-between period from "holy poo poo new Bioshock" to "wait is this saying that the KKK had some good ideas"

There was still a lot of heated debate around how much of its mealy-mouthed equivocation was intentional, but Burial At Sea is what sank its perceptions for good, appropriately enough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not a conspiracy. it's just what happens here. like bloodborne is the other end of the spectrum for this thread. small communities can end up being echo chambers

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Chalice dungeons > Byob Infinite

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Counterpoint: Red spiders. Red spiders everywhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chalice dungeons are awful and, worse, profoundly lazy. very little effort was put into those and it was one of the most disappointing things I've played because the concept is really cool

infinite may not be the best game ever but I do think the level of vitriol it got here way outweighed its actual problems

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Infinite is a game that gets worse the more you think about it, so there was a bit of an in-between period from "holy poo poo new Bioshock" to "wait is this saying that the KKK had some good ideas"

There was still a lot of heated debate around how much of its mealy-mouthed equivocation was intentional, but Burial At Sea is what sank its perceptions for good, appropriately enough.

What happened in that one? I know I played it but I cannot remember a thing about it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

burial at sea 1: booker is in rapture now I guess. let's kill a big daddy
burial at sea 2: elizabeth retcons the entire series in a dumb way, also the whole thing is a weird pseudo stealth thing but hilariously easy because you can turn invisible and instantly kill everything

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I thought you meant some more racist poo poo happened to solidify the 'kkk had some good ideas' perceptions. Which I never got out of the base game but I could have missed it by not paying too much attention.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bombadilillo posted:

I thought you meant some more racist poo poo happened to solidify the 'kkk had some good ideas' perceptions. Which I never got out of the base game but I could have missed it by not paying too much attention.

No I think that’s a pretty tortured interpretation even if we’re generous.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Me neither. It may be because of spanish localization. Bioshock games are the only ones I always played in spanish because they had good voice actors so it can be that some of the stuff got lost in the translation or I completely ignored all that poo poo and just played the game mindlessly (wich is more likely).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

People were very upset that the violent revolutionaries rebelling against a cruel and oppressive society do so in an indiscriminate, violent and chaotic manner. People thought the game was equivocating that both "sides" (the Communist/racial minority underclass and the racist Columbian elite) were morally grey and then apparently the game retconned this so as to make the underclass people NOT indiscriminate, violent or chaotic in a manner that sounds incredibly stupid.

For what it's worth, I actually thought Daisy's ultimate turn towards knavery fit her character and was a realistic outcome of any violent upheaval and of all the criticism levied at Bioshock Infinite, this is the one that I don't jive with -- people turning into assholes in moments of conflict and strife and revolution could basically be the summary of all human history.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I couldn't give two shits about the game's politics, the actual shooting in that game felt like rear end.

I do give two shits about the game's politics but yes BioShock Infinite is one of the worst-feeling shooters ever made

Edit: Like if you remove Steam asset flips and projects made by one dude in college or Eastern Europe, it would be near the bottom of the list of all FPS games ever. It feels so fuckin bad

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

This is crazy, DS2 has the most functional online systems out of any of the Soulsborne games, even including DeS (which is much more functional than BB and DS1/3)

that says more about soulsbourne games in general than ds2

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ds2 has good pvp and coop options but the invasion stuff is bad. bb and ds3 are worse tho

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have never understood complaints that binfinite feels bad. The charge power + shotgun is the only first person version of vanguarding from mass effect 3 I've played and it feels great, especially with the dissonant piano chord and similar musical cues it plays on big hits with one shot weapons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Brother Entropy posted:

that says more about soulsbourne games in general than ds2

Undeniably, yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Digirat posted:

The charge power + shotgun is the only first person version of vanguarding from mass effect 3

Athena in the PreSequel can do an admirable impression.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I enjoyed B:I. it is the only Bioshock I actually finished. it wasn't great enough that I feel like championing it but I definitely had fun the whole time and though the story was entertaining

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
While we are going on about bad opinions.

I am the guy who can't stand FF art and style at all. The characters look like garbage to me. I can't take games seriously that are based on a group of teenage emo/anime boy band guys and similar characters.

However, I generally don't like anime either, so maybe that's the reason.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hopper posted:

I am the guy who can't stand FF art and style at all. The characters look like garbage to me. I can't take games seriously that are based on a group of teenage emo/anime boy band guys and similar characters.

If you can't take them at their bro-est. You don't deserve them at ...also their bro-est.

Maybe its just not for you? They are very Japanese games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got B:I free through PS+ and I just found it extremely boring to play

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The weapons in Infinite may sound loud but that doesn't mean jack poo poo when you can shoot an unarmored regular cop in the head at point-blank range and they barely do a flinch animation while only losing 1/3 of their life. Melee attacks range from ineffectual nothings to, once you hit an arbitrary life meter threshold, total momentum-killing cutscenes that wrest control away from you for far too long just to lock you into the stupid animations. They introduce a bunch of weapons halfway through the game that are pointless because they are barely cosmetically different from the guns you have been upgrading and why would you replace any of the guns that you have spent so many resources on for pointless sidegrading? Plinking at robots with small arms fire sounds and feels horrible and you fight like four thousand robots over the course of the game. The graveyard fight is one of the worst encounters ever designed in the history of first-person shooters, also it's loving zombies, zombies are poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The weapons in Infinite may sound loud but that doesn't mean jack poo poo when you can shoot an unarmored regular cop in the head at point-blank range and they barely do a flinch animation while only losing 1/3 of their life. Melee attacks range from ineffectual nothings to, once you hit an arbitrary life meter threshold, total momentum-killing cutscenes that wrest control away from you for far too long just to lock you into the stupid animations. They introduce a bunch of weapons halfway through the game that are pointless because they are barely cosmetically different from the guns you have been upgrading and why would you replace any of the guns that you have spent so many resources on for pointless sidegrading? Plinking at robots with small arms fire sounds and feels horrible and you fight like four thousand robots over the course of the game

Its ramshackle development history is evident in almost every aspect of the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The graveyard fight is one of the worst encounters ever designed in the history of first-person shooters, also it's loving zombies, zombies are poo poo

Ho
Lee
gently caress

Thanks for reminding me of that travesty.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Hopper posted:

I take it you don't like belts

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
According to their website the local USPS office received my new DS4 this morning but did they deliver it today? gently caress no! :argh:

Note to self: pay the extra :10bux: to have UPS or Fedex ship and deliver my online orders.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uh so... in FFXV, during the cutscene when you sleep before getting on the 🛥boat🚤, is there supposed to be like... no sound effects 🤔🤔🤔?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hang on a second... do I need to watch something before I have any idea what's going on here 😳?
Some sort of... anime??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That thing with stuck R1/L1 buttons, is it supposed to be a simple fix? (1 year warranty passed like 2 weeks ago)