Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are some games that are so staggeringly Japanese that listening to them in English feels wrong but I'm probably like 1/4-1/3 fluent in Japanese so I don't get nothing out of it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I the only person that always turn on subtitles? I actually enjoy being able to read them even when I can understand everything the actors are saying. If I had to guess it helps my brain feel more engaged with the media since I'm not just passively listening to it.

everytime

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
NANI?!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Is there an English game series with similarly notable voice acting that gets Japanese gamers riled up over language selection the way, say, MGS or RPGs do here?

Like are people in Japan having serious debates about Elena's JP VA being superior in Uncharted 3 or whatever.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

cheetah7071 posted:

I can think of at least one JRPG series where the original writers liked the localized version of the main character more than the original Japanese and rewrote her in the sequels to be more like the NA version

Cosigning this post, because Nep game localizations and dubbing are way better than the original, imho. I want Nep on the Switch one day.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Electromax posted:

Is there an English game series with similarly notable voice acting that gets Japanese gamers riled up over language selection the way, say, MGS or RPGs do here?

Like are people in Japan having serious debates about Elena's JP VA being superior in Uncharted 3 or whatever.

I vaguely remember some kerfuffle about Modern Warfare 2 having something done wrong with the no russian mission, maybe?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I could never understand English natives that play MGS in Japanese. It’s so boring in comparison and it makes sense for the cast to speak English.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

I remember reading about COD heads in Japan. Maybe they listen to the original Spacey

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Electromax posted:

It's a thing in any place that consumes imported media, aka "All of Them"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Takoluka posted:

Cosigning this post, because Nep game localizations and dubbing are way better than the original, imho. I want Nep on the Switch one day.

Rom and Ram are gonna be redesigned to look like Joycons in the next Nep

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

God dammit, I thought something important happened but it's just people rehashing the old subs vs. dubs debate that anime fans have been having since forever

Switching gears, has anybody had difficulty setting up split-screen multiplayer in Rocket League? Turning on additional controllers while already in the game doesn't seem to work (I have to add more controllers from the home screen and then go back into the game), and it wants every player to have their own Switch account, and every account needs to be linked to a Nintendo account. Except I can bypass the Nintendo account part if I click cancel twice?

It's all pretty confusing and inconvenient and I hope Psyonix fixes it soon. I don't do local multi with Rocket League very often, but it's nice to have the option.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It's not hard

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

As a southern Englishman the last accent I ever want to hear when playing my video games is a goddamn northern accent.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

404notfound posted:

God dammit, I thought something important happened but it's just people rehashing the old subs vs. dubs debate that anime fans have been having since forever.

There is an eshop sale on Ubisoft games which includes Rayman for 26 and Rabbids for 40, but either no one cares or they missed my post in the sea of anime arguments.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

cheetah7071 posted:

Rom and Ram are gonna be redesigned to look like Joycons in the next Nep

Rom and Ram-colored JoyCons when

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

P5's localization was genuinely oddly subpar for atlus (the yakuza game they helped with and utawarerumono are way better on that count), but P5's writing isn't particularly good to begin with so I can't call it a loss.

Beyond the "let's keep honorifics in no matter what" Atlus's Persona (and general Shin Megami Tensei) translation/localization efforts have always been really solid. Persona 4 has some great performances from the English cast. P5 seems like they tried extra hard with the localization in certain ways (they spent like a whole year localizing the game I think?) but somehow ended up with a weirder result.

At this point in games development if you know for sure you'll be releasing the game in the West, you gotta write English and Japanese scripts simultaneously. Nier did that and it remains a beauty of localization.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was trying to think of a game where I wouldn't want to sue subs over dubs and realized I kind of did that in STALKER. Well, rather the translation of the game only uses English VA for all the major conversation. The random chatter is still in Russian and isn't even subbed most of the time. I wouldn't want it all translated though because I feel it really does add to the atmosphere of the game.

That's an example of a game where the setting is a real world location though. If it was some fictional world I doubt I would give a poo poo.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I want XC2 to come out so the broke brain anime people can go do that instead of having some decades old argument about which audio track to listen to in their dumb media.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Enjoy your Xenoblade 2, fuckfaces

I'll be having a kakkoi time playing Jennoburaydo Tsu

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s called a dakimakura, mom

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Big... Dog posted:

i will. i also want to enjoy danganronpa on the switch.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Is there goon consensus on the best charging joycon grip? Apparently Switch accessories are 50% off today, and my wife already told me she got me the watermelon joycons for Christmas.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A Big... Dog posted:

spit on my clit posted:

i will. i also want to enjoy danganronpa on the switch.

Am I having a stroke?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Morby posted:

Is there goon consensus on the best charging joycon grip? Apparently Switch accessories are 50% off today, and my wife already told me she got me the watermelon joycons for Christmas.

Where?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Japanese is a very difficult language to even translate adequately in any european language.

While anime is often (but not always) pop culture with limited vocabulary that's relatively easy to convert to english, anything more complex than that is an issue. That's been true in literature (Mishima and Kawabata to name a few were notoriously hard to translate and Murakami, up until 1Q84, usually gave his own personal english translator -always the same guy- an endless stream of notes and directions), cinema and videogames to an extent.

So yeah it is hard. It's a very difficult language to master and it's harder to translate.

LethalGeek posted:

I want XC2 to come out so the broke brain anime people can go do that instead of having some decades old argument about which audio track to listen to in their dumb media.

Same here, very happy that the japanese track is in because judging from the trailer localization sounds like poo poo, sorry guys.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 28, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rolo posted:

Am I having a stroke?

do you smell burnt toast

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Morby posted:

Probably not the official one since it only charges them when it’s plugged in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

spit on my clit posted:

do you smell burnt toast

:canada:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LethalGeek posted:

I can do both

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!
i cannot wait to play the anime game in the way Our Lord has intended; JP dubs with JP text.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The cool thing about the Nintendo Switch is it lets you play how you want! Wanna play it on the go? Great! Wanna play it at home? Great! Wanna play with Japanese voiceovers in your anime game? Go for it!

It’s designed so everyone can enjoy themselves and have a good time :)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

don't worry there will be some other obvious bait post for goons to get mad at

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Tender Bender posted:

There is an eshop sale on Ubisoft games which includes Rayman for 26 and Rabbids for 40, but either no one cares or they missed my post in the sea of anime arguments.

If I buy these, can I play them with the original French dialogue?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did they ever say how many different titswords you’ll have in the game?

I’m going to play Xenoblade in the language of dogs. Because it’s going to bite.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Amazon, sorry! Should have said that sooner.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably not the official one since it only charges them when it’s plugged in.

I’m actually good with this since I will most likely use one pair at a time. Thanks!

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Kawabata posted:

You do get the prosody of the language though (intonation, pitch ranges, mood shifts etc) and that plus subtitles is often enough to get a good experience out of it provided localization isn't a good alternative. A bad localization is easily way worse than that compromise.

Sure good localizations exist but they're very far and between.

Subtitles are localization. If you are reading subtitles you are just as bad as the filthy dub users. Hell if you are using translated menus you may as well smother yourself with your anime body pillow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, none of my switch things on amazon are listed for 50% off. I'd ditch my 3D printed grips and get an official charging grip if it were only 15 buckaroos.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

funkymonks posted:

Subtitles are localization. If you are reading subtitles you are just as bad as the filthy dub users. Hell if you are using translated menus you may as well smother yourself with your anime body pillow.

Subtitles are the meaning of what's been said in dialogue, which you will need if you don't understand the language well enough or at all. By your reasoning, cinema purists or everyone who prefers to watch a movie in the original language with eng subs is just as bad as dub users. Note that people like that have always existed and pretty much everyone working in cinema hates watching dubbed movies. It's not because they have anime body pillows.

It's ok if you prefer localization but you're being dumb on purpose.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Translation and localization is interchangeable when talking about games; at most, the latter is a necessary part of the former.

Also game text is 99% of the time the dub script with all the changes that requires for space or whatever, so yeah, it's pretty much the same thing and oh god why am I still posting about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
For some reason I feel the optimal language for Xenoblade 2 is German.

e: I take it back. They should copy Super Smash Bros. Brawl and have no dialogue whatsoever. Everyone pantomimes everything.

• Locked thread