Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not gonna poach the client, they will just leave when they find out I'm gone. A quick check of my LinkedIn will show where I went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sepist posted:

I'm not gonna poach the client, they will just leave when they find out I'm gone. A quick check of my LinkedIn will show where I went

Still... tread lightly, and make sure you fully understand your non-compete if you have one. Some non-competes won't even let you work for another company in the same space without threat of lawsuit. Others might just say you can't poach their clients, which even if you don't and the company does it on their own (like you said), you may still get a lawsuit sent your way. It's not about the client at that point, it's about making your life miserable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have no clue what the gently caress he was thinking, but it was :chloe: listening to him ty to grasp the issue even after I explained it several times.

Issue: Since upgrade, I can no longer scan to "%RootShare%\CopierScanFolder." Did your upgrade fix an issue with a bug or something that would allow access to a subdirectory without access to the root share?
Resolution: I gave %ScannerAccount% explicit permissions to traverse %RootShare%, and don't really care if anything was changed, please close ticket.

2 weeks later...
He had me running all sorts of commands on all of these parent directories. Except he couldn't even give me the correct loving syntax for anything he wanted me to copypasta into the commandline. So I had to go online and look up all of the commands myself, then tell him what they were for, so he could send an email to me telling me what to run, but it would STILL be incorrect, so I would have to edit it and send it BACK to him telling him that's what I was going to run, and if that's what he wanted.

Eventually I just told him the ticket should have been closed 2 weeks ago, and to stop calling me. I got him to leave me alone by just saying, "don't worry, it's a Windows share thing. You're fine. Just close the ticket."

The last few interactions I've had with NetApp support have made me want to kill myself.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

TheFace posted:

Still... tread lightly, and make sure you fully understand your non-compete if you have one. Some non-competes won't even let you work for another company in the same space without threat of lawsuit. Others might just say you can't poach their clients, which even if you don't and the company does it on their own (like you said), you may still get a lawsuit sent your way. It's not about the client at that point, it's about making your life miserable.

My second to last boss and my systems architect counterpart both went to competing VARs and a few clients took their business with them, no lawsuits filed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

The last few interactions I've had with NetApp support have made me want to kill myself.

After being acquired the talent leaves.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sepist posted:

My second to last boss and my systems architect counterpart both went to competing VARs and a few clients took their business with them, no lawsuits filed.

Lucky. One of my former co-workers left the MSP I was at for another MSP, one customer did that and my employer went after my former co-worker. It wasn't about the loss of business (it was a relatively small customer) it was more of a "gently caress you" for leaving. Legal costs for this BS add up. It was one of the first tells to me that I needed to get out of that toxic company.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
That sucks. I worked for a MSP about 10 years ago. One of the clients reached out to me to do side work for them, and when the MSP found out they sent me a reminder that I was in violation of the non-compete. I kept doing the work anyway though. Kind of a different scenario though. I think my side business was the violation, not so much their customer coming to me.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
client lists are not enforceable in non-compete agreements

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

client lists are not enforceable in non-compete agreements

Plus I think there's like three or four states where non-competes are unenforceable. And a handful of others where they're pretty limited.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
And that's expanding. Non-competes are becoming a thing of the past, thankfully.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Colonial Air Force posted:

And that's expanding. Non-competes are becoming a thing of the past, thankfully.

Right to work, however, is not. Two steps forward, three back.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

From a non US viewpoint, how the gently caress is this even legal? Sure, confidentiality and industry secrets and whatnot but unless you are going to pay me pension for adhering to a non-compete, how are you supposed to make a living?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TerryLennox posted:

From a non US viewpoint, how the gently caress is this even legal? Sure, confidentiality and industry secrets and whatnot but unless you are going to pay me pension for adhering to a non-compete, how are you supposed to make a living?

You aren't. That's the whole idea of loving up socialized insurance as well; it's another thing that keeps people stuck in hellish jobs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My understanding is that if you're in a sales role and take all your accounts with you when you switch jobs then it's understandable why the company might get pissy. But attempts to prevent you from continuing with your career can get hosed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

TerryLennox posted:

That's precisely the argument that has led many courts to throw them out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think a lot of it had to do with senior employees with access to product roadmaps and trade secrets being poached by competitors. There was a whole lot of high-level poaching going on in Silicon Valley in the late 90's early 2000s that resulted in companies suing the ever living poo poo out of each other. I seem to remember that Intel(?) got a 6 month injunction in place to prevent one of their chief engineers starting at AMD (or something like that) until their latest processor hit the market.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sickening posted:

After being acquired the talent leaves.

NetApp hasn’t been acquired.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Meanwhile, in many industries, like law, it is perfectly normal for you to take clients with you when you leave a firm. In fact, law firms can get into a lot of trouble for not cooperating and handing over info/documents when an attorney leaves and the client wants to go along with.

They also aren't ethically allowed to give you free legal advice, which means they don't get quite so bombarded by friends and family for help like IT folks do.

Hmmm... there's something to be said for being able to write the rules. :c00lbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Internet Explorer posted:

They also aren't ethically allowed to give you free legal advice, which means they don't get quite so bombarded by friends and family for help like IT folks do.

I'm not ethically allowed either, it works out really well

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

Meanwhile, in many industries, like law, it is perfectly normal for you to take clients with you when you leave a firm. In fact, law firms can get into a lot of trouble for not cooperating and handing over info/documents when an attorney leaves and the client wants to go along with.

Hmmm... there's something to be said for being able to write the rules. :c00lbert:

It is also really hard to work as a lawyer since the field is crowded. IT sucks, but there are jobs.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Banking talk: I am the IT manager at a $3b community bank (which is tiny compared to any wall street bank) and it owns. We are very profitable so I can take care of the people who report to me, we play with a lot of cool poo poo, etc.. The regulatory burden is real though, and it really does suck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

The regulatory burden is real though, and it really does suck.

Words cannot convey how much it can suck at times.

For $JOB-1 I worked 6 years in the global security group for an international bank. And herding all those loving cats (global infrastructure teams and regional security groups) to remediate findings from SRABOX, various EU, and SWIFT certification audits was a loving nightmare.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

My understanding is that if you're in a sales role and take all your accounts with you when you switch jobs then it's understandable why the company might get pissy. But attempts to prevent you from continuing with your career can get hosed.

I've always heard that if they sue for going to a competing company, they will lose, but if its for taking clients with you, that part is where courts start ruling in the companies favor

That's precisely the argument that has led many courts to throw them out.

I'd expect this to start changing back with the way our legal system is going. Corporations are going to have all the power for quite a while longer due the stacking of the judiciary that is happening right now

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's possible, but mostly it's been state courts, rather than Federal.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

It's possible, but mostly it's been state courts, rather than Federal.

The same thing has been happening in a lot of states, it's just not as high profile as the federal courts. It's why comparable lawsuits in, say, California and Kansas have wildly different results.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MANime in the sheets posted:

The same thing has been happening in a lot of states, it's just not as high profile as the federal courts. It's why comparable lawsuits in, say, California and Kansas have wildly different results.

are those lifetime appointments like a fed judge? only way to get rid of the federal ones is impeachment, which isn't easy

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Our Tier 1 people have been renamed to "System Engineers" and our Tier 3 are now "Infrastructure Administrators". :eng99:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What's tier 2?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Methanar posted:

What's tier 2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Methanar posted:

What's tier 2?

Fired.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

:ohdear:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

are those lifetime appointments like a fed judge? only way to get rid of the federal ones is impeachment, which isn't easy

Depends on the state.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Methanar posted:

What's tier 2?

Heh, at my place, I'm Tier 1, called Service Desk. Tier 2 is called Tier 1 (X department) as it splits to areas of responsibility. Tier 3 is called Tier 3 (X department) but is actually all handled by the same small group of people.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Heh, at my place, I'm Tier 1, called Service Desk. Tier 2 is called Tier 1 (X department) as it splits to areas of responsibility. Tier 3 is called Tier 3 (X department) but is actually all handled by the same small group of people.

You're Tier Zero.

And I am Tier Infinity since I do everything...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea well I'm tier infinity plus one

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My Tier only exists in a conceptual framework of theoretical dimensions posited by mathematicians.

:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Proteus Jones posted:

My Tier only exists in a conceptual framework of theoretical dimensions posited by mathematicians.

:colbert:

O̶̲̻͖̯͍̺̞̪͂̎̋ͤ͋ͤ̄͑̚M̦͖̟̼̰̪ͭ̄͆ͯ̔͜ͅE̶̷͉̟̰̣̮̻̣͖̅̈́ͧͧ̐ͅG̱͎͙̈́̔͑ͅA̤̠̙̙͕̺͛̃͑ ͈̙̼̺̆͗̋ͩͥ̅̚T̖͍̻̓̆̋̎͐I̵ͦ͂̚͏͚̪̖̟͓͙͚Ȩ̡̳̬̤̯̫͉͛̇̌ͨ̓R̠̙̣̙͉͔̉̈́̊ͮ́͒̿́

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was tier until they nerfed my set bonuses.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sepist posted:

Yea well I'm tier infinity plus one

I'm in tier [The set of all rational numbers]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
How does a conference like reinvent not seem to have obvious water cooler stations?