Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Mainstream Lizardism

I caught this, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OxySnake posted:

Also Amber is 100% correct in the difference between Milo and Shapiro fans.
This is kinda complicated. I agree with her about them having separate audiences, but their acts are very similar.

Shapiro's audience seems to be old people who are still angry about gangsta rap albums from 1993. He's still that little kid who loathes and is loathed by every other kid, sucking up to the adults. And he's absolutely an Intellectual Establishment ConservativeTM, because as Alex Nichols pointed out, that's never been more than a thin veneer for rich old men whining.

But he's also absolutely a troll. When Chapo pointed out that that list of policy positions is not a philosophy, they could also have pointed out that each one easily fits into a provocative tweet. But Shapiro isn't an interesting character like Milo, so the only way he can get any attention is by just saying extremely vile poo poo like "Trayvon Martin deserved to die."

As far as personality is concerned, I think the main difference between he and Milo is that Milo really doesn't give a gently caress about anything, and never wanted to do the work of building a brand even if he hadn't become fatally toxic to work with. But Milo is also definitely a conservative insofar as he's a narcissist who is well-served by the status quo.

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Matt's strong opinions against things that are not that bad or even good (turkey) is proof positive that the kids who bring a cane to class can be shown the light and their autism can be our weapon.
2017 has taught me, among other things, that people arguing about whether a food is good or bad are never ever funny or even a little bit entertaining, no matter who is doing it or what it is.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

sexpig by night posted:

Oh for sure, but it just seems like such a weird thing to talk about what a badass he was and all

It's very hard to reconcile a deep rooted admiration for sadistic masculine violence with things explicitly stated by the biblical Jesus. This is yet another very personal loophole in a movie filled with them.

Edit:

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing I don't get about the Arian schism is the underlying material conditions. Like, Marx called the English Civil War a bourgeois revolution, Wycliffe's theology challenged the entrenched power of wealthy clergy, and the Fraticelli require no explanation--but I don't know who materially benefited from an Arian interpretation of God. I believe Constantine's stance was "Oh my God can't you people shut up I don't loving care!"

Disclaimer: I just enjoy reading about this stuff as a hobby and am in no way an expert. Gross oversimplifications of stuff I took as an elective years ago, but I want to keep this brief and focus on the class/power interpretation.

Think of it as party infighting among various coalitions. Most schisms were just various groups trying to create and maintain control of the "mainstream" narrative of Christianity, which was really tough when the religion was secretive. Lots of these groups were linked to ethnic identities-- some flavors of early Christianity were more Jewish, others more like Greek religious practices, each with different regional flavors. The class and ethnic distinctions of each one related to the Roman Empire in drastically different ways.

I THINK (again, not an expert) the Arian interpretation would have favored those against Paul's sect-- people that wanted to keep things extra-Jewish and focus on Jesus as a biblical prophet rather than Jesus as a hidden eternal deity-avatar. This was at a time when ethnic Jews weren't exactly doing so hot within the Roman empire, basically dozens of small power struggles. These are people who would have seen being what we call a Christian as just being the "right" kind of Jew in an era with lots of different, conflicting ideas of what being a Jew entailed.

On the other side, more gentile-friendly versions of Christianity happened to believe in the "Jesus = God completely" deal, and had large incentives not to view themselves as a branch of Judaism (costly temple sacrifices, difficulty of converting people when circumcision is a requirement, not wanting to be directly linked to Jewish uprisings against the Roman empire...). Meanwhile the gnostics are off doing what all the other gnostic religions are doing, except their gnosticism has Jesus.

I could easily see the specific beliefs being arbitrary, but wiping out beliefs that mark someone as the "wrong" kind of Christian would have been VERY important when you're struggling to get converts and have the paranoid and twitchy Roman Empire breathing down your neck. At some point one sect wins, burns a lot of books, rewrites history, and we are left piecing things together.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 27, 2017

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Y'all Androsky just went on Harmontown

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

TetsuoTW posted:

because anyone who actually and unironically calls themselves a "gamer" is odds-on to be human garbage?

Whats your hostility from? Lots of young people call themselves that?

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

girls go crazy for him, thousands of them wailing and crying for his attentions when he takes the stage. it's why his breakout turn to a singles album and movie roles will leave this boy band destroyed

I like that the show is partially successful because felix is pretty funny, while he also the bane of a vocal slice of the listenership that often reveres the uptight nerd guy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm not a gamer because I have no life.

I'm a gamer because I choose to have many.

And all of them are whiny pissbabies who post up a storm at anyone critiquing my personality built around consuming media.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

If you're online enough to have an SA account and listen to this show but don't know why people hate gamers then you lead a strange life

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lurk more

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

OxySnake posted:

Also Amber is 100% correct in the difference between Milo and Shapiro fans.
They intersect a lot. Milo-leaning kids forced themselves to listen to Shapiro in the imagined circumstance they'd have a public opportunity to own a lib IRL with facts. Shapiro-leaning kids justified listening to Milo by saying "they like to get different perspectives", which is code for "I'm not about to defend this nazi pedo but he helps me feel guilt-free when reveling in all my worst impulses".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

you seem very defensive about people stating a distaste for a group of people that in recent years have largely defined themselves by a) sending death threats to women for having sex and opinions, b) confusing entertainment product reviews for journalism, and c) threatening to boycott video games because they have nazis/white supremacists as bad guys.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Also we're on somethingawful, people are going to make dumb broad statements about non-minority internet groups we dislike because it's fun, and not expand the specifics because that isn't.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
It's OK to play videogames. But if you self-identify as a gamer publicly, you'll be the first against the wall when I come to power. Hope this helps.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
this is like when guys get mad when some lady posts, "men are scum" and want to hold her down and shout in her face that they are not all men, they are very good boys

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey cool video game chat, did anyone post "well it sure is bad to define your identity by the media or products you consume!!!" for the ten millionth time as though they're doing us a favour by sharing this Very Original Thought

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

well it sure is bad to define your identity by the media or products you consume!!!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Crane Fist posted:

Oh hey cool video game chat, did anyone post "well it sure is bad to define your identity by the media or products you consume!!!" for the ten millionth time as though they're doing us a favour by sharing this Very Original Thought

Is it wrong tho

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
That’s capitalism, though right? You see something on tv. You work for it doing lovely labor and then you can buy it with the money you exploit from your fellow laborers. For instance, I don’t want to talk to anyone ever again so I’m moving to a desert island where I can painfully die alone.

Actually that sounds really good. Warm, sad dehydrated death.

E: this is an overshare, but I probably put my last little bit of money into a Ponzi scheme. I loving hope, erray day, that the financial system dies, the world goes broke and everyone loses everything. gently caress your governments gently caress your order gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

I don’t care, I don’t want to care, I want to bask in the warm glow of nuclear death.

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 28, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

killmeimmafailure posted:

That’s capitalism, though right? You see something on tv. You work for it doing lovely labor and then you can buy it with the money you exploit from your fellow laborers. For instance, I don’t want to talk to anyone ever again so I’m moving to a desert island where I can painfully die alone.

Actually that sounds really good. Warm, sad dehydrated death.

I'm not completely sure how to express concern on the internet without sounding condescending or insincere but uh are you ok

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The vapor in the atmosphere reflecting the mostly blue earth?

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 28, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is it wrong tho

It's like pointing out the sky is blue, it's true but after a while it's like okay yeah but what else you got

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Crane Fist posted:

It's like pointing out the sky is blue, it's true but after a while it's like okay yeah but what else you got

I dunno man, seems like some people in the thread had not been presented with the idea before, thus the asking in the first place

It's considerably less common that a person would go asking why some people insist the sky is blue

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The earth is, like 75% water. We know less about the creatures of the deep than the solar system

This is mostly due to the complexity of biochemical systems as opposed to the more easily explanted, in terms of Newtonian mathematics, bodies that orbit the sun (IMO)

Besides the psychopath test I’d fail, sharks are interesting to me because, evolutionary, they’ve changed very little in millions of years or something.

gently caress I need a hobby. Sorry folks

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 28, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dunno man, seems like some people in the thread had not been presented with the idea before, thus the asking in the first place

It's considerably less common that a person would go asking why some people insist the sky is blue

Don't nitpick me with logic bitch I'll gently caress you up

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

E: this is an overshare, but I probably put my last little bit of money into a Ponzi scheme. I loving hope, erray day, that the financial system dies, the world goes broke and everyone loses everything. gently caress your governments gently caress your order gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

I don’t care, I don’t want to care, I want to bask in the warm glow of nuclear death.

Please to instead be hoping for the workers to seize the means of production, so dignity and emancipation may be enjoyed by all

I realize that dignity part may be an alien concept in this of all places tho

Really though sorry for your misfortune

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

Please to instead be hoping for the workers to seize the means of production, so dignity and emancipation may be enjoyed by all

I realize that dignity part may be an alien concept in this of all places tho

Really though sorry for your misfortune

Great. So amber can be my boss? A person who can’t clean up after their own cat?

A person who exploited the labor of her educators to fund a degree that has little to no benefit to society other than promoting a lifestyle of perpetual adolescents?

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 28, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The vapor in the atmosphere reflecting the mostly blue earth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_sky_radiation

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why mars sky red

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 28, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If no liquid water on earth, sky still blue?

Yes, so long as the rest of Earth remains unchanged. Which is a lot to ask.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why greenhouse gas trap heat

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why no famous? Why no whore for internet game?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Great. So amber can be my boss? A person who can’t clean up after their own cat?

A person who exploited the labor of her educators to fund a degree that has little to no benefit to society other than promoting a lifestyle of perpetual adolescents?

i'm not sure i understand this gimmick

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Why greenhouse gas trap heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SYpUSjSgFg

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why red wavelengths in the form of thermic energy stay in warm blanket of earth air

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hmm nm

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeez, somebody kill this guy already

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why see carbon in sky air drop in n hemisphere at winter

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Why see carbon in sky air drop in n hemisphere at winter
dicks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007