Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There is a lot of work that needs to get done but I don't know if an elected NPC is the best way to handle it. It's becoming a machine not for getting word done but for burning people out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

hi liter posted:

NPC is mostly the loving boring drudgery that comes with running a growing political org, and I don't think that most of the new online folks understood that (myself included). People were elected without much in terms of a proven resume or record of good organizing.

I imagine that the next NPC elections will be very, very different. Lots of DSA chapters are producing high quality organizers with track records of success in a variety of fields (direct action, electoral, advocacy, media awareness) and should be able to crush existing NPC member who spent two years posting and talking poo poo about dumb internal fights no one cares about.

i suspect that members of the dsa aren't going to be any better at picking national leaders than the general public

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*eyes bulging*

*sets down pipe filled with smoldering cuban tobacco*

we need... a purge

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think there should be a parliamentary system for dsa, with local chapters elect delegates to work on and vote for national organizing strategies and similar work. Would give all those caucuses something to do.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Al! posted:

i suspect that members of the dsa aren't going to be any better at picking national leaders than the general public

I want to believe we are better and choosing leaders and setting political priorities as an organization, because otherwise whats the point?

We've grown a lot as an org in the last year. If we keep it together we can keep develop good leaders and organizers who replace current ones and expand organizational capacity, leaders who ideally can go on to lead outside of our own organization.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The DSA should elect a crypto-NPC. Using Blockchain Technology, a new NPC will be created using a secret election. The members of the NPC will be known to no-one, not even each other. We will only known them by their public cryptography keys.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol also just noticed chapo Amber was in that screenshot

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

freckle posted:

lol also just noticed chapo Amber was in that screenshot

yeeeeepppppppppp lol

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

someone post the screen i don’t want to wade into left twitter atm

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zikan posted:

empireofcrime posted:

So I guess someone has beef with RL Stephens? https://t.co/O9tuSr6PTk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zikan posted:

in mother russia, left twitter wades into you

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

is that seriously it

lmao that’s seriously it?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hi liter posted:

I want to believe we are better and choosing leaders and setting political priorities as an organization, because otherwise whats the point?

We've grown a lot as an org in the last year. If we keep it together we can keep develop good leaders and organizers who replace current ones and expand organizational capacity, leaders who ideally can go on to lead outside of our own organization.

That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

I think there should be a parliamentary system for dsa, with local chapters elect delegates to work on and vote for national organizing strategies and similar work. Would give all those caucuses something to do.

Corporal Beefheart
Feb 5, 2012
I don't get how this is damning against RL. Like, I'm reading the same thread you guys are, right? Dude might be overreacting, but he's not wrong.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Yeah. RL is far too online, I don't know him in person, and I have no interest in either defending or damning him. However, he gets way more heat for his opinions than far more abrasive people, far more online people, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend that half of DSA doesn't flip its poo poo at a loud black man. If he is abusive or toxic, and if he is perpetuating sexism and patriarchy, we need to build a culture that can address that and hold him accountable, and that culture will not exist as long as half of DSA flips its poo poo at a loud black man daring to exist in a leadership position.

also maybe someday we can acknowledge that the dirtbag leftism embodied by the chapo crew among others helps reinforce an atmosphere where bigotry can flourish under the auspices of crudeness much like certain other transgressive spaces

abolish the npc

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Corporal Beefheart posted:

I don't get how this is damning against RL. Like, I'm reading the same thread you guys are, right? Dude might be overreacting, but he's not wrong.

He's not wrong, I agree, but having been elected to a position in the national (to the extent we've got it) leadership of the organization he should have immediately gone to the harassment committee or whatever, not be Extremely Online about it. What she said was harassment and he, as a leader, should show that it both a) won't be tolerated and b) will be dealt with by the organization.

I like RL. I like his politics. I listen to/read a lot of what he produces and generally agree ~but~ I really don't think this sort of (bureaucratic, public, high-level) leadership suits him. (let's say) we're a 30,000 member org and people are going to say poo poo, and some people are going to say really awful poo poo, and that's not going to get better if/as that number gets bigger. How is airing everything out online is going to address anything? Is RL is bringing this stuff to the NPC or the harassment committee or whatever and he's getting shot down? If so that's a huge deal that we should all be mad and nude about, but AFAIK that's not the case

Also what the gently caress fetonte was on the call? I thought he was basically run out

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

deep web creep posted:

Also what the gently caress fetonte was on the call? I thought he was basically run out
big bucks saying the call was ages ago and one of these drama addicted teenagers either dug it up or is still Post On FB angry about it

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

so I'm gonna clear up some things here, since people are getting confused about the timetable. this call happened at the beginning of the Fetonte Situation, iirc like a week after the convention, when Texas chapters and members (myself included) were still willing to give Fetonte the benefit of the doubt. it was also during that time period where DSA members were calling for, among other things, the dissolution of the Austin chapter, the dissolution of all Texas chapters, the murder of all Austin members, and the murder of varying amounts of Texas members.

that call was specifically supposed to be a call for Texas leadership and the NPC to discuss our treatment by national membership and how things could be improved, as well as to get an idea of Texas chapters' opinions of the situation. during the call, RL ended up filibustering for a period of time when someone asked a (stupid) question and generally was rude to the people in the call. he eventually left before Fetonte was asked to join near the end to answer questions.

imo the whole situation was dumb, and the person reacting to the suggestion of "maybe we shouldn't threaten to punch people" with open and naked hostility should never be in any leadership position because holy poo poo.

R. Mute posted:

big bucks saying the call was ages ago and one of these drama addicted teenagers either dug it up or is still Post On FB angry about it

it's literally this, this was nearly 3 months ago

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

apokaladle posted:

also maybe someday we can acknowledge that the dirtbag leftism embodied by the chapo crew among others helps reinforce an atmosphere where bigotry can flourish under the auspices of crudeness much like certain other transgressive spaces

Given it's Amber trying to get him kicked out, yeah there's a bit more of a direct path here between the org and the podcast. Her approach seems... questionable about race matters at times, yes.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

apokaladle posted:

I doubt crudeness is driving anyone to bigotry that weren't already there.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Syndlig posted:

lol nice

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

decorum and go along to get along does way way more to shelter bigotry than dirtbag leftists getting too abrasive or too obsessed with "identity politics" sometimes

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

deep web creep posted:

He's not wrong, I agree, but having been elected to a position in the national (to the extent we've got it) leadership of the organization he should have immediately gone to the harassment committee or whatever, not be Extremely Online about it. What she said was harassment and he, as a leader, should show that it both a) won't be tolerated and b) will be dealt with by the organization.

I like RL. I like his politics. I listen to/read a lot of what he produces and generally agree ~but~ I really don't think this sort of (bureaucratic, public, high-level) leadership suits him. (let's say) we're a 30,000 member org and people are going to say poo poo, and some people are going to say really awful poo poo, and that's not going to get better if/as that number gets bigger. How is airing everything out online is going to address anything? Is RL is bringing this stuff to the NPC or the harassment committee or whatever and he's getting shot down? If so that's a huge deal that we should all be mad and nude about, but AFAIK that's not the case

I don't disagree with any of this, I think, and I hope he did go to whatever committee exists. At the same time, DSA both nationally and in every local I'm aware of has had systemic issues with race (some places more so than others) and the NPC has been shown to be incapable of dealing with anything, especially when there are larger political implications that can be read into a given situation. Without assigning blame, I don't have any reason to believe that DSA has the capability to address this.

Al! posted:

decorum and go along to get along does way way more to shelter bigotry than dirtbag leftists getting too abrasive or too obsessed with "identity politics" sometimes

Mostly because there are far more people who believe in decorum.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
reading amber's stupid response and hearing this is from a call three months ago this feels like mostly a fight between two huge narcissists and am already tired of how long this will be playing out for

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
abolish npc and whatver group amber is part of, only solution

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
does it actually affect your local work cause if not then who cares

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

bump_fn posted:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Syndlig posted:

jesus christ. well, thanks for the clarification.

apokaladle posted:

Without assigning blame, I don't have any reason to believe that DSA has the capability to address this.

Well said. I sincerely hope this sort of thing is at least blunted as the org matures.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

To be perfectly honest, a large part of why I identify as an anarchist is that leadership roles tend to be most attractive to people that aren't worth following.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don’t really give a poo poo about anything the NPC thinks or says or does until they disburse all the money they got that was supposed to go to Charlottesville victims

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

more like frotskyists

i wish

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

bump_fn posted:

it doesn't but I love drama

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't know who these people are but they should be voted out

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao at both sides of this nonsense inadvertently making a good argument for democratic centralism

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao at both sides of this nonsense inadvertently making a good argument for democratic centralism

they're not really discussing an issue tho

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

HMS Beagle posted:

Any Portland DSA people in here? It seems there is an intense amount of drama all of a sudden.

Late but yeah, I’m in PDX DSA. That being said, I’m also not especially up to date on Slack or Facebook and have been out of town or otherwise busy for the last two chapter meetings, so I’ve only caught the hilarity from the periphery. This sort of bullshit is exactly why I don’t get overly involved with any organization so much as focus on individual passion causes, because it’s pretty petty and ridiculous. I mean, I agree with what the rogue emailer said in general about needing to do some real work on addressing racial injustice, but doing an email blast complaining about it to the whole chapter in a resignation letter is really silly. Plus, I didn’t attend any of the meetings in question, so I have a hard time judging harshly based on only her account. Basically, leftists gonna leftist and split off into factions to cannibalize their own, so what the gently caress ever, I’ll maybe be back at the next meeting and see where all the chips fell.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zikan posted:

lmao if you are ever offline

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Amber's not trying to get anyone kicked out you dork, she's calling him out for publicly making GBS threads medicare for all campaigning (including East Bay DSA's) and working against it. In September + October, he was passively-aggressively making GBS threads on the medicare proposal and following it up with "i'm just asking questions, folks, no need to get mad at me"-type tweets.

People are pissed that he's been belittling their work while proposing nothing concrete to replace it. Just last week he basically said he'd only support the national healthcare campaign if prison and police abolition were shoehorned into it, like baby's first attempt at attaching a rider to a bill. Of all of the members of the NPC on twitter, he's simultaneously the worst at organizational politics and the best at being an rear end.

R. Guyovich posted:

no one's getting purged from the DSA for taking a smoke break while i'm alive. demcent can eat my rear end!!!

Slanderer has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

*time portal opens up inside my room. 2021 version of brutalist mcdonalds jumps through, wearing an olive field cap and chewing a cigar*

"hey! it's me. i mean... you! i'm you from the future! join PSL!"