Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

JT Smiley posted:

The craziest thing was the fact that they made the Gokaiger suits power up instead of just letting them be there own thing. Not only that, but they had access to these powers from the get go, but Gosei neglected to mention it.

And they abandoned the power-up thing like 2-3 episodes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burkion posted:

Imagine ambien in show form with one, exactly one, good scene and clever character reveal that they piss away by the end anyways.

I'll take OO over any of the modern Saban seasons, minus Dino Charge. I couldn't even make it passed episode 2 of Ninja Steel.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Of all the many problems in Operation Overdrive, I think the one that sticks to my mind most is the utterly pathetic final battle. The entire series is about retrieving the unlimited power present in the Corona Aurora and when the final villain gets it, he's defeated with less effort than mooks.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
OO was also when they just went way over board with the wire-fu and explosions. Most of those fight scenes are just terrible because of it.

It's a shame, because Boukenger was so good.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The thing that got me about OO is how utterly unlikable the cast was (well, in show yes, and for one of the actors, off set as well).

Like, when the team up episode happened, I really wanted Adam to just come back full time; the only other character that wasn't terrible as the goddamn comic relief butler.

Watching it on the Twitch marathon made it one of the few series where I actually changed my mind on it somewhat after a rewatch, as I hated OO even more afterwards. (This is as opposed to Ninja Storm where I wasn't fond of it as a kid, but that show is actually a lot better and clever than it has any right to be on rewatch).

As an aside, the marathon was the first time watching Jungle Fury and... I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I really liked the rangers, especially stoner purple wolf ranger. I wish they just copied the Gekiranger morph whole sale instead of that weird rear end sunglasses morph.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

As an aside, the marathon was the first time watching Jungle Fury and... I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I really liked the rangers, especially stoner purple wolf ranger. I wish they just copied the Gekiranger morph whole sale instead of that weird rear end sunglasses morph.

Yeah, while I liked Gekiranger a bit more Jungle Fury wasn't bad (RJ was probably the best part of the show). Not sure what was wrong with just keeping the glove morphers for the main 3 especially when the others were (as far as I can remember) completely unchanged, including the giant blade changer the White Ranger had.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AHGm8vzmKo

It's Morphin Time again.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, while I liked Gekiranger a bit more Jungle Fury wasn't bad (RJ was probably the best part of the show). Not sure what was wrong with just keeping the glove morphers for the main 3 especially when the others were (as far as I can remember) completely unchanged, including the giant blade changer the White Ranger had.

Disney was afraid kids would be encouraged to intentionally crack their knuckles, thus Solar Morphers.

I adore both Gekiranger and Jungle Fury. Jungle Fury is my first non-MMPR season and my wife used “stoner werewolf owning a pizza parlor” as a selling point. It worked. Anna Hutchinson (Lily) and David de Latour (RJ) were at Morphicon last year and were super sweet people.

Of course, around the time that my wife and I were just dating, Megaforce was airing and my wife had me watching Gokaiger as well. Megaforce was such a massive letdown. There were neat ideas in there somewhere, but the writing was awful, the pace was terrible, nothing was ever explained worth a drat (like is Robo Knight dead or not?), and it has one of my least favorite character romantic pairings in the entire franchise.

Dino Charge was a lot of fun and I loved it. Ninja Steele is...a thing, I guess? I’m sorta sick of Red Rangers with daddy issues. Brody couldn’t possibly be more generic, and I think “Wow, this is epic” somehow comes across as less authentic than Takaharu’s “MOETE KITA” and I didn’t even think that was possible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In a way, Megaforce is a true successor to MMPR.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZe5YIJN3a4

As vengeance for all of the pies consumed yesterday, pumpkin rappin' is about to happen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZe5YIJN3a4

As vengeance for all of the pies consumed yesterday, pumpkin rappin' is about to happen.

You intentionally had Tommy literally vanish off screen, didn't you. I lost my poo poo at that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Happy accident, that. Sometimes I have to include an unwanted frame here or there so as not to chop up spoken dialog too much.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQlBg7isyk

Soccadillo was unexpectedly cute!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 25, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rounding out the weekend with a two-fer! We got a mind control episode and a, uh, lizard doing an Arnold impersonation.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey everyone! I've gotten a sudden surge of motivation and I'm fixing to finish the last episode of season one tonight (58 and 59 are done as well, just not uploaded yet).

Would anyone be interested in a marathon? It'd either tomorrow or Thursday.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Man, I am here for comically re-edited Lord Zedd. Are you planning to do more seasons, Lizard Wizard?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

Man, I am here for comically re-edited Lord Zedd. Are you planning to do more seasons, Lizard Wizard?

Yup! I've done a bit of research by watching the first few eps of seasons I missed and lemme tell ya, if I had to see Jungle Fury everyone has to.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 27, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jungle Fury is one of the best Disney seasons man. A little slow to start but really ramps up and great finale and lead up

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah, Jungle Fury has stoner pizza mentor, aka, the best mentor.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Do they ever acknowledge the gaping hole in the dam, explain the sunglasses or kill the loving fly?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Plus the fight scenes are fantastically shot and choreographed! I'm a huge fan of the combination of wire work and special effects they put into the Jungle Master mode scenes. Going from the wide angle, flowing combat of Jungle Fury to the close up, shaky cam footage of RPM was pretty off putting at first.

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, Jungle Fury has stoner pizza mentor, aka, the best mentor.

Also Lily and Fran. Best waifus. :allears: outside of Mighty Morphin' Kimberly, obviously

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lizard Wizard posted:

Do they ever acknowledge the gaping hole in the dam, explain the sunglasses or kill the loving fly?

What do you mean explain the sunglasses? They are sunglasses and are awesome morpher. They need no more explanation than a zeonizer

As for the fly, you gotta watch to find out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It was at least pretty clear that the Zeonizers were a thing cooked up by Zordon to tap into the sub-crystals.

The explanation for the power shades seems to be "I know a guy who knows a guy".

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I totally buy RJ as someone who knows a guy who knows a guy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lizard Wizard posted:

The explanation for the power shades seems to be "I know a guy who knows a guy".
Tht's pretty much all morphers post Lost Galaxy though. :v: At least the shades where cool.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lizard Wizard posted:

It was at least pretty clear that the Zeonizers were a thing cooked up by Zordon to tap into the sub-crystals.

listen

zordon left a lot of contingency plans behind

including the proliferation of morphers onto the black market

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Speaking of American Morphers, I can't stand those stupid Ninja Star Morphers. Yes, I know they were weapons in the Sentai, but the way 5hey use them is so slow and clunky. Not to mention the morph itself is totally uninspired.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

listen

This is my new headcanon. The reason all Power Rangers teams get to have similar clothes and be connected to the Morphin' Grid is because Zordon leaked how to make a morpher to very specific sources he knew he could trust.

And some giant head dude that apparently was his apprentice but never really understood what his job was.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Operation Lightspeed salvaged and reverse engineered the Turbo Rescue Zords and Power Chamber, and this technology was the basis for SPD and Time Force, and all other human non magical powers.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blaze Dragon posted:

And some giant head dude that apparently was his apprentice but never really understood what his job was.

I was supposed to give them Zords?!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pyroi posted:

listen

Yeah I figure Billy designed a lot of the stuff we see in the post In Space seasons that don't have a specific onscreen designer

Also reminds me of a fanfic idea I had involving Billy having to gather a new team to protect Earth in the time period between the end of In Space and the start of Lightspeed Rescue, with them using the Zeo powers and equipment(as well as some of the other leftover Zords from the Zordon era)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Billy made it" or "Zordon left it behind" or something like that really undersells the accomplishments those original teams made in making their own gear, I feel like.

It's far more fun to think there are a bunch of other geniuses like Hayley and Kat and whatnot who can create or improve on this tech without a past Ranger cheatsheet. Heck, in the case of the former, Tommy came to HER to make his stuff for him. Like I'm sure he contributed some past ranger resources or history but it's more interesting when the new character's talents get to stand on their own.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Billy made it" or "Zordon left it behind" or something like that really undersells the accomplishments those original teams made in making their own gear, I feel like.

It's far more fun to think there are a bunch of other geniuses like Hayley and Kat and whatnot who can create or improve on this tech without a past Ranger cheatsheet. Heck, in the case of the former, Tommy came to HER to make his stuff for him. Like I'm sure he contributed some past ranger resources or history but it's more interesting when the new character's talents get to stand on their own.

As I said, I'm only suggesting it for series where they don't credit someone specific for building their stuff

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pyroi posted:

listen

"Zordon was a paranoid gun-hoarder with spandex and robots" is one of my favorite headcanons in anything, period.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

"Zordon was a paranoid gun-hoarder with spandex and robots" is one of my favorite headcanons in anything, period.

It's not even a headcanon

it's just straight up a fact as of In Space, let alone all the poo poo he left Gosei with.

Zordon had back up plans for EVERYTHING.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sometimes I watch MMPR and I try to remember if regular people wore red pants in the 90s or if Austin St John owned every pair manufactured between 1989-1997

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think one of the Lost Galaxy writers even said it was Zordon who put those swords in the stone on Mirinoi.

Related, I always found it funny that Zordon's evil-battling was (generally, there are exceptions) framed as anti-Rita, not anti-Zedd/Specter, even after the reveal of those characters as being higher up the chain, so to speak. There were other Ranger teams dealing with other threats, but he was stockpiling Ranger Stuff left and right because he was paranoid about Rita and figured it'd eventually require stuff that we see in use in Space and LG to fight her.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 28, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Time for a three-fer, because I really want to work with Zedd footage now I'm feeling productive and generous!

Football episode? Football episode! Some good Tommy, aggressive sports-based dialog, good ep.

In this episode, a squad of putties led by the monster of the week impersonates the Power Rangers. This has never happened before. :geno:

Last but not least, sometimes the show remembers that Angela exists. This is one of those times.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PMush Perfect posted:

ALPHA, OBAMA HAS BEEN ELECTED. RECRUIT FIVE TEENAGERS WITH PATRIOTISM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
How was the fly handled in Jungle Fury? I remember in Gekiranger he just showed up to do play-by-play commentary on the giant robot fights like it's an MMA fight. He was one of the people like Cat Mentor who got too good at animal-themed kungfu and transformed permanently into a furry.