Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Ashcans posted:

There are estimates that 39% of Americans have literally no savings, and that an additional 35% have less than $1000.

As of 2016, 12% of Americans had either low or very low food security, which means that they had to rely on coping strategies such as outside assistance to avoid disrupting their eating pattern, or suffered disruptions anyway.

47% of respondents said they would have to borrow or sell things to pay a $400 unexpected bill, rather than having adequate savings

One in five Americans struggle to pay for basic necessities, and one in three has trouble making ends meet

You can just read this whole report, really, if you can tolerate the despair

Now, 'Homelessness' is probably something of an exagerration, simply because many people rely on more than financial supports and if you in the position of living on the street you are more likely to be able to find housing with family, friends, or by downsizing your life to acquire a roof and not be technically homeless (ie, renting a single room).

Thanks for this. I read through a bit of the federal reserve report. All I can say is that I'm very thankful that I have enough privilege to go to the grocery store and just buy enough food that I need for the week without worrying about how much that costs. I didn't realize that in America I need to be very grateful that I have enough to eat.

Thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Zo posted:

uh waiting until your 40s and then popping out retarded babies because your eggs and womb are old and lovely is probably way worse in the grand scheme of things

anyway they'll probably be fine. they have a good support network and, most importantly, a decent income, unlike the typical idiots whose stories get posted here and it turns out they're trying to squeeze blood out of a $30k/year stone.

Yeah it's the way she phrases things, as if babies just happened to her, that irritates me. One would hope teachers in the US are a little more outcome based and less passive about their circumstances, but maybe she was just being "cute" with her tone.

But yeah if you're financially strapped and find yourself getting fat loans from family members, stop reproducing for fucks sake, this scenario was built upon years of bad decisions, not an innocent woopsie or two.

She already had kids, it's not as if people are saying "you don't deserve to multiply," but rather "hey would it be good for you to get your perpetually troubled household in order before adding a third child to the mix?"

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 28, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Teachers get summers off, if her maternity leave was unpaid then she should plan her pregnancies around having a June baby so she can be in a position to go back to work in September.

I wonder what state she lives in. In CA you get six weeks paid maternity leave (for both parents) assuming you worked enough hours the last year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Panfilo posted:

Teachers get summers off, if her maternity leave was unpaid then she should plan her pregnancies around having a June baby so she can be in a position to go back to work in September.

I wonder what state she lives in. In CA you get six weeks paid maternity leave (for both parents) assuming you worked enough hours the last year.

Getting pregnant in a specific month is like 20% chance, timing it perfectly isn't easy.

My wife was lucky to have banked a ton of sick days and got a semester off paid. I have idea how anyone goes back to work full time six weeks (or less) after giving birth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

My wife was lucky to have banked a ton of sick days and got a semester off paid. I have idea how anyone goes back to work full time six weeks (or less) after giving birth.

Have not experienced this (we're lucky enough that she could stay at home) I seriously don't understand how this works out for most people. Like......I get if your parents are around or something, but how do you handle this otherwise? Do day cares even take infants? Do you need to be independently wealth enough to have a nanny?

Sorry if I'm out of touch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

Have not experienced this (we're lucky enough that she could stay at home) I seriously don't understand how this works out for most people. Like......I get if your parents are around or something, but how do you handle this otherwise? Do day cares even take infants? Do you need to be independently wealth enough to have a nanny?

Most day cares will take infants at 6 weeks. Its getting paid for those six weeks that is a problem for many

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Most day cares will take infants at 6 weeks.

I'll apologize in advance again....but god drat that sounds like an awful way to raise a child.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When I worked retail, there was a mom in my department who paid like $350/week for childcare for her two kids. She was probably taking home $400/week and thus was effectively earning $10/day after expenses.

That's more poverty.txt rather than bad_with_money.txt

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

I'll apologize in advance again....but god drat that sounds like an awful way to raise a child.

Why do you think people are always complaining about the lovely maternity leave in the U.S.?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

canyoneer posted:

Most day cares will take infants at 6 weeks. Its getting paid for those six weeks that is a problem for many

At least in CA both mom and dad can each get 6 weeks paid and have it run concurrently so they get 12 weeks paid time off with one parent home. Though this assumes they're in CA and both work full time. My brief and his wife had their first baby when he was unemployed and she was only working part time. She had to go back after like 4 weeks unpaid because they couldn't afford rent otherwise. My brother would drive the baby to her job so she could breastfeed her.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inept posted:

Why do you think people are always complaining about the lovely maternity leave in the U.S.?

i was under the impression that it was because they are dirty communists who want to ruin my way of life and everything that is great about America

duh!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I often go searching to see what houses turn up using the "desperate" keyword. This is the keyword prior to mortgagee sale. If you look at the first photo it's evident why they can't afford the mortgage.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1354712837.htm

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Motronic posted:

The day care we're going to be using in a few weeks takes infants at six weeks.

Day care is also insanely expensive and this country's maternity policies are trash. I got no paid paternity leave but was able to burn saved vacation time to get two weeks.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Devian666 posted:

I often go searching to see what houses turn up using the "desperate" keyword. This is the keyword prior to mortgagee sale. If you look at the first photo it's evident why they can't afford the mortgage.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-1354712837.htm

Does the horse come with the house?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Inept posted:

lmao yeah it's insanely pathetic. like unbelievably so. ZERO paid leave by law.

that being said...

Panfilo posted:

At least in CA both mom and dad can each get 6 weeks paid and have it run concurrently so they get 12 weeks paid time off with one parent home. Though this assumes they're in CA and both work full time. My brief and his wife had their first baby when he was unemployed and she was only working part time. She had to go back after like 4 weeks unpaid because they couldn't afford rent otherwise. My brother would drive the baby to her job so she could breastfeed her.

the much bigger BWM problem here seems to be that your brother is a loving deadbeat

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Is Goodwill's secondary market for better clothes that efficient?

There are people who semi-professionally trawl goodwill for items with potential resale value. Probably BWM/hr, but there may be potential edge cases like people who may be able to repair things with parts or have a keen eye for clothing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Just get rid of them, like we did in Canada. Worked great.

Except the provincial governments didn't have to change their tax rates to a multiple of 5, which is both stupid and BWM because in BC the PST is 7%. We have to round up and down at the loving till.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tomapot posted:

Does the horse come with the house?

Given the 8 paddocks have either had the animals sold off or eaten I'd be suspicious if I found any meat in the freezer.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dillbag posted:

Except the provincial governments didn't have to change their tax rates to a multiple of 5, which is both stupid and BWM because in BC the PST is 7%. We have to round up and down at the loving till.

before pennies were abolished, you've been rounding pennies this entire time :ssh:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mourne posted:

Thanks for this. I read through a bit of the federal reserve report. All I can say is that I'm very thankful that I have enough privilege to go to the grocery store and just buy enough food that I need for the week without worrying about how much that costs. I didn't realize that in America I need to be very grateful that I have enough to eat.

Thanks, guys.

You're welcome. :tipshat:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I think another way to tell you are privileged is when you have something happen and your chief gripe is having to spend time to take care of it, not necessarily the cost involved. Like I had to get my car tires replaced and I was bummed I had to waste a Saturday waiting for them to finish it, not the hundreds of dollars it cost to have it done.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
christ not this again

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

(US) Mountain of student loans, $83,000K and growing. I don't know where to start.

quote:

Hello everyone,

I made this a throw away account because I am ashamed and embarrassed of my situation, but please, I need guidance. I graduated from a 4 year private university in the spring of 2014. I haven't paid any federal loans off. Since then, I paid off 10k in credit card debt. I'd like to start on this mountain now.

I have $33k of federal student loans, all growing with interest. In detail, I have subsidized stafford loans totaling $19,000. I have unsubsidized stafford loans totaling $14,000. The total is divided between 9 loans. 6 of them have an interest rate of 3.8%. 3 of them (about 10k) have an interest rate of 6.8%.

Now, the scary part. I also have $50k of parent plus loans. The parent plus loans range from $8k - $16k each, with a fixed rate of 7.9% interest. The interest is growing fast on these.

Everything has been in deferment - forbearance since 2014.

My major was Intercultural Studies with a certificate in TESOL. Right now I am living and teaching in South Korea. I make about $35,000 a year USD. I don't own a car, I don't have to pay any rent. My monthly bills are usually $150-$200 and the rest I can pocket. I think I can start with a monthly payment of $1,000 towards the loans.

I am hating myself every day because I know I could have paid off so much already if I had tried. I know I spend too much, I am not disciplined in terms of money and spending. But, I want to change, because I cannot live with this feeling anymore.

My questions: 1. I don't know if or what I should consolidate? 2. If I make monthly payments, will it even touch the loans? (There is so much outstanding interest, where will my payments go?) 3. How aggressively should I pay them off vs. saving money? I have some emergency savings, but that's pretty much it. I don't know if I should pay off as much as possible, and have nothing saved... Or pay off some, and save some money for my future. 4. Should I pay off the sub/unsub loans first? or the parent plus loans?

I feel like an utter idiot because my younger self was convinced that going to a small private college for the 'experience' was worth it. By no means could I afford it, but just like magic we were able to borrow 15-20k per year.

I've listened to a lot of Dave Ramsey, I read a bit on Student Loan Hero. I'm thinking of starting the debt snowball, it's just hard to believe that I will ever pay it ALL off. Let me know if you need more information, and thank you in advance.

How the gently caress do you not pay anything towards $83k of loans for two and a half years if you aren't even paying rent? Where did all that money go? Aside from the $10k of credit card debt (how did you graduate college with credit card debt when you took out $20k of loans every year already) wtf do you spend that much money on as an expat presumably living with extended family?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Motronic posted:

For all you new parents/parents to be....

This is way way WAY off topic, so toucan me (I deserve it & I love the toucans), but it IS possible to find cheap good day care. The trick is churches. There's a church, local to me, who runs a non-profit day care center. You don't even have to be a member. The prices start at $350/month for infants (6 weeks & above, they have to be vaccinated), then $300/month once they are 2 years old & can play with the older kids, and $200 once they go to school, just for before/after school & breaks. And it's fantastic, because those church ladies LOVE the kids, and since it's a non-profit, there are all these regulations. The place is always super clean, and the meals the kids get (included in the price, other than baby formula/food) is also kept to strict nutritional standards (and on this one, church ladies win again - they make a lot of the food from scratch there, and the smells make me drool). They always have a waiting list.

The (admittedly very minimal) downside to an old atheist like me is that the kids learn to sing "Jesus Loves Me" and some bible stories & whatnot, but I consider it well worth it.

BRING ON THE DERAIL BIRDS!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dillbag posted:

Luckily, grade 4 math is still subsidized by the government.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

April posted:

For all you new parents/parents to be....

This is way way WAY off topic, so toucan me (I deserve it & I love the toucans), but it IS possible to find cheap good day care. The trick is churches. There's a church, local to me, who runs a non-profit day care center. You don't even have to be a member. The prices start at $350/month for infants (6 weeks & above, they have to be vaccinated), then $300/month once they are 2 years old & can play with the older kids, and $200 once they go to school, just for before/after school & breaks. And it's fantastic, because those church ladies LOVE the kids, and since it's a non-profit, there are all these regulations. The place is always super clean, and the meals the kids get (included in the price, other than baby formula/food) is also kept to strict nutritional standards (and on this one, church ladies win again - they make a lot of the food from scratch there, and the smells make me drool). They always have a waiting list.

The (admittedly very minimal) downside to an old atheist like me is that the kids learn to sing "Jesus Loves Me" and some bible stories & whatnot, but I consider it well worth it.

My sister and brother-in-law do this, but they belong to the church so it's a bit different. Say what you want about churches, but they do foster a sense of community among their members. When my brother-in-law lost his job they all took turns bringing cooked meals and stuff over to the house to help with food costs, and one of the guys at the church helped him find his new job that he loves.

I'm not religious at all, but poo poo like that is a big reason why they exist.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

Better or worse than below the poverty line with questionable food security and housing instability? Because ~20-30% of this nation's children are growing up in THAT situation, a further ~50-60% are growing up in the situation you describe above (either in a single parent home with that parent working or in a two parent home with both parents having jobs) and it's only when you get to the best-off 20% of kids that families are well off enough to either keep a parent home full time, count on family or (lol!) pay a nanny/au pair.

edit: changed numbers to reflect slightly lower estimate of children living in poverty.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 28, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

April posted:

I agree that the Master's might be a good decision by itself, but getting pregnant over and over, running up credit cards, borrowing from her father, etc. WHILE getting it is pretty bad.

Yeah. The answer here is ten bucks in condoms, and quit raw doggin' it when you can't afford more kids.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

April posted:

Ha. Good luck with that. We’re Christian, but lax. To the extent that visiting a Christmas themed Amusement park (they exist) my oldest daughter ran excitedly to the life sized Nativity scene to get a selfie with the Baby Jesus and had to ask which one the Baby Jesus was.

Cue high school and she finds religion all by herself. It’s called Young Life. You’re better off raising them as strict Catholics if you want them to be atheist adults.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ha. Good luck with that. We’re Christian, but lax. To the extent that visiting a Christmas themed Amusement park (they exist) my oldest daughter ran excitedly to the life sized Nativity scene to get a selfie with the Baby Jesus and had to ask which one the Baby Jesus was.

Cue high school and she finds religion all by herself. It’s called Young Life. You’re better off raising them as strict Catholics if you want them to be atheist adults.

When I was in school one of the young life kids tricked me into going to a church event. He asked if I wanted to go grab lunch and we somehow ended up at his church. Young Life is a really weird group.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

When I was in school one of the young life kids tricked me into going to a church event. He asked if I wanted to go grab lunch and we somehow ended up at his church. Young Life is a really weird group.

That poo poo was super culty in ultra-religious West Michigan. I got invited to a bonfire at a friend's house once, and it turned out to be a Young Life meeting. Good for you if that's your thing, but it was really awkward for me who had already decided that religion wasn't my thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least the religious organizations at my school in Colorado were upfront about it.

I joined one for fun/curiosity and it actually changed my life, but I know that’s not most people.

There were like 5 or 6 of them IIRC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've never been inside a church in my entire life

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

legendof posted:

(US) Mountain of student loans, $83,000K and growing. I don't know where to start.

How the gently caress do you not pay anything towards $83k of loans for two and a half years if you aren't even paying rent? Where did all that money go? Aside from the $10k of credit card debt (how did you graduate college with credit card debt when you took out $20k of loans every year already) wtf do you spend that much money on as an expat presumably living with extended family?

Telling that they mention going to a private college. US private colleges can run $150K-$200K over four years if OP doesn't qualify for much aid, and with that job it's likely they're living in an employer-provided apartment and paying for food, housewares, etc. and maybe flights. The overspending while living rent-free would probably be NBD if they didn't have 90K of debt (much high-interest) from schooling, but as is they're hosed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

brugroffil posted:

Getting pregnant in a specific month is like 20% chance, timing it perfectly isn't easy.

My wife and I took a trip to Hawaii with the intent of getting pregnant. I was secretly hoping it wouldn't work so we could have another few months of b-b-b-bangin', but we're due in March.

We had been off of birth control for over 2 years so I'm not sure if we're good or lucky, but when I hear about "oops!" babies it makes me wonder.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've never been inside a church in my entire life

Definitely GWM choice here. When I stopped attending church, the call I got from the church leadership was "did you run out of envelopes? We haven't seen a donation from you in a little while."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
My wife's family did the whole multigenerational household thing to manage childcare. Retired Grandparents look after kids, and get paid whatever the parents can spare. Both parents work full time.

I've noticed that the cost of childcare doesn't always correlate to the cost of living in an area. A month of daycare for my niece costs my brother and his wife more than what they pay in rent for a house. And since they live out in the sticks, everything is a 30-45 minute drive to get to (work, store, daycare, emergency room). They have 2 gas guzzlers and a younger son with croup that goes to the ER 3 or 4 times a month and I think my brother's wife is losing hair from the stress of all the driving around and money crises they always seem to have in spite of living in an area supposedly so cheap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The multigenerational thing is good except when it isn't. Like you will save money and you will be given grief everyday about how you're raising you children.

I adored being critiqued by the woman who still pays for her 37 year old son's cigarettes and car insurance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The multigenerational thing is good except when it isn't. Like you will save money and you will be given grief everyday about how you're raising you children.

I adored being critiqued by the woman who still pays for her 37 year old son's cigarettes and car insurance.

Sure there are definitely downsides, but I think in many cases it's a better alternative than a parent struggling with debt due to daycare costs and job insecurity due to having to miss work to take care of a sick kid. And once kids are old enough to start going to school it gets better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nocheez posted:

My wife and I took a trip to Hawaii with the intent of getting pregnant. I was secretly hoping it wouldn't work so we could have another few months of b-b-b-bangin', but we're due in March.

We had been off of birth control for over 2 years so I'm not sure if we're good or lucky, but when I hear about "oops!" babies it makes me wonder.

Definitely GWM choice here. When I stopped attending church, the call I got from the church leadership was "did you run out of envelopes? We haven't seen a donation from you in a little while."

JFC that sounds like a lovely church. I would still be going to church if it wasn’t for the “be presentable at 9AM on a Sunday” thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

drat man at least pay for your own cigs.