Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

dr_ether posted:

Old Man Survivor for Kingdom Death

Phew, this is great man. Love the color palette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

dr_ether posted:

Old Man Survivor for Kingdom Death

I actually disagree with Hixson on this one, I'm not a fan of the lavender/purple tones. I get that you were going for that sort of pale, almost translucent old man skin, but the effect is less stunningly cool than your usual high standard. The OSL is nice and very well executed, however - subtle and effective.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ilor posted:

I actually disagree with Hixson on this one, I'm not a fan of the lavender/purple tones. I get that you were going for that sort of pale, almost translucent old man skin, but the effect is less stunningly cool than your usual high standard. The OSL is nice and very well executed, however - subtle and effective.

Everything he said but opposite.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ijyt posted:

Everything he said but opposite.
What, you think this one's good but the rest of his stuff is meh? Ok, if you wanna be that way...

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Still plugging away at tacticool bigmar scout.

Greenstuff casting the reiver legs was a bad idea, I should have just bought a bunch of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Those pants look pretty dang good, you just freehand sculpted them out of greenstuff right? Nailed the folded cloth appearance.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Has anybody used the Vallejo Mecha paints yet? I'm wondering what the hell wash you use over Metallic Red (69.066) and Fluorescent Magenta (69.056).

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What's the best way to strip paint completely from Citadel minis? I'm usually one to just live with my fuckups but I accidentally primed a set of Pox Walkers in Grey instead of White, and following Duncan's guide using mostly shades instead of paint they're way too dark. Hilighting the faces are getting a little black-face-y, so I want to start these ones over.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

What's the best way to strip paint completely from Citadel minis? I'm usually one to just live with my fuckups but I accidentally primed a set of Pox Walkers in Grey instead of White, and following Duncan's guide using mostly shades instead of paint they're way too dark. Hilighting the faces are getting a little black-face-y, so I want to start these ones over.

The Simple Green brand of all purpose cleaner is a good choice, just put the figures in a tub or dish (I use a yogurt container with a lid) cover them with cleaner, and give it a couple of days. Most of the paints will fleck off and and gentle brush with an old toothbrush removes even sticky primers. There are quicker methods with harsher cleaners, but simple green is my basic household cleaner and it's mild enough I don't need gloves.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I've heard that the new Simple Green formulation is bad for stripping paint and that you want LA's Totally Awesome now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MrFlibble posted:

I know GW sprays aren't primers but

Yeah they are.

I don’t use them myself, but they absolutely work as a primer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My wet pallet seems to have suddenly developed permeability problems after I changed the paper in it. Most paints I put on it are really really thin when I go to use them, and a couple of them drain right through the paper onto the sponge.

What could be causing this? I changed the paper following the procedures it came with, is it possible to damage the paper by soaking it in water that's too hot? The directions seem to indicate it isn't, but I'm not sure what else could be the cause.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wdarkk posted:

My wet pallet seems to have suddenly developed permeability problems after I changed the paper in it. Most paints I put on it are really really thin when I go to use them, and a couple of them drain right through the paper onto the sponge.

What could be causing this? I changed the paper following the procedures it came with, is it possible to damage the paper by soaking it in water that's too hot? The directions seem to indicate it isn't, but I'm not sure what else could be the cause.

Haven't had that problem but yeah, sounds like that paper is just no good or maybe got too hot or something. Weird because I usually let mine get pretty hot and soak awhile (as per directions as you mentioned) but I'd just try a new piece of paper yeah.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Haven't had that problem but yeah, sounds like that paper is just no good or maybe got too hot or something. Weird because I usually let mine get pretty hot and soak awhile (as per directions as you mentioned) but I'd just try a new piece of paper yeah.

Taking a look at the other sheets I have, the one I'm currently using felt less smooth than the others, so it might be defective or I somehow messed it up. I'll try using water that's warm, but not actually too hot for me to touch.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've barely had time to paint but I finished some Trollblood Pyg Bushwackers. They are bad old sculpts that I rushed but I'm glad to have finished something I've had sitting around for probably 2-3 years, heh.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I like the little blue dudes :3:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Quidthulhu posted:

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've heard that the new Simple Green formulation is bad for stripping paint and that you want LA's Totally Awesome now.

Couple years ago I tried Simple Green and LAs Totally Awesome on some eBay rescue tanks and they both left most the paint on after weeks of soaking. Then I found Dawn Power Dissolver.

This stuff is like magic. It's a commercial kitchen degreaser and it takes off paint in minutes, doesn't hurt plastic, is safe for your kitchen sink, and not even that harsh on your skin. It's a gel spray so you don't need much, and you don't have to soak, you spray it onto a mini, wait 30 minutes and then brush it a little with a toothbrush and at least 90% of the paint just falls off.

Since the gel is thick and stick, you can even use it to strip parts of a model. It's hard to find in stores (Walmart used to sell tiny purple bottles of it) but you can get it from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Procter-Gamb...power+dissolver

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Cool, I'll have to check that out. Have you tried using it to clean mold release from resin before? I'm wondering how well it'd work for that...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Bucnasti posted:

Couple years ago I tried Simple Green and LAs Totally Awesome on some eBay rescue tanks and they both left most the paint on after weeks of soaking. Then I found Dawn Power Dissolver.

This stuff is like magic. It's a commercial kitchen degreaser and it takes off paint in minutes, doesn't hurt plastic, is safe for your kitchen sink, and not even that harsh on your skin. It's a gel spray so you don't need much, and you don't have to soak, you spray it onto a mini, wait 30 minutes and then brush it a little with a toothbrush and at least 90% of the paint just falls off.

Since the gel is thick and stick, you can even use it to strip parts of a model. It's hard to find in stores (Walmart used to sell tiny purple bottles of it) but you can get it from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Procter-Gamb...power+dissolver

Huh, maybe it'll be a match for prepainted figures.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Yeast posted:

Yeah they are.

I don’t use them myself, but they absolutely work as a primer.

I was referring to the guide at the beginning of this thread, although I suppose something might have changed in two years.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

They’re not primers, since primers have a different formulation. That doesn’t mean they can’t work as a first layer, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My limited experience of the citadel coloured sprays is that it works as an undercoat, but is a little lacking in tooth (like whites usually are) so that colours can rub off from handling while you paint. I'd definitely put a varnish of some kind over it. If I were using them on scenery I think I would definitely put a like dusting of real undercoat on first.

I was at the GW open day over the weekend and was told some stuff I found interesting and reassuring by one of the Eavy Metal team. The interesting thing was that, except for very specific exceptions (a white robe piece etc), they as a group will always paint over a black undercoat. They believe that it offers the best, most controlled colour balance. White undercoats can lead to dark colours being too bright etc. This is in addition to the obvious benefit of black being more forgiving if you miss something.
The reassuring bit was that it can take them a couple of hours to paint a character's head, or a work day just to do a robe. In my mind they're all just wizards who bash that stuff out in moments. It's nice to be reassured that it's just as painstaking for them as for us plebs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My limited experience of the citadel coloured sprays is that it works as an undercoat, but is a little lacking in tooth (like whites usually are) so that colours can rub off from handling while you paint. I'd definitely put a varnish of some kind over it. If I were using them on scenery I think I would definitely put a like dusting of real undercoat on first.

I was at the GW open day over the weekend and was told some stuff I found interesting and reassuring by one of the Eavy Metal team. The interesting thing was that, except for very specific exceptions (a white robe piece etc), they as a group will always paint over a black undercoat. They believe that it offers the best, most controlled colour balance. White undercoats can lead to dark colours being too bright etc. This is in addition to the obvious benefit of black being more forgiving if you miss something.
The reassuring bit was that it can take them a couple of hours to paint a character's head, or a work day just to do a robe. In my mind they're all just wizards who bash that stuff out in moments. It's nice to be reassured that it's just as painstaking for them as for us plebs.

That's interesting, so no zenithal for them?

I'm probably going back to all black priming just because I end up doing highlights anyway that make zenithal pointless.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No zenithal. They do use airbrushes, but only for base coating. For speed, and to help ensure uniformity when a squad is being broken up between multiple painters.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

No zenithal. They do use airbrushes, but only for base coating. For speed, and to help ensure uniformity when a squad is being broken up between multiple painters.

That's some cool insight. Would love an in depth look at the eavy metal studio. I'm really interested in finding the right balance of quality and speed so that I can field new armies that look good but don't take months for 2k points.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Honestly, I think the answer to that is the more in-depth videos on the Warhammer TV youtube channel. Saint Duncan of the Miracle of Two Coats is the light and the way.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Related to zenithal priming, is it worth doing on something that's going to have silver over top of it? I was reading that it's more effective under darker colors rather than lighter, but I don't know if that means it is or isn't worth doing under silver/metallics.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

For what it's worth my biggest revalation in painting faster recently was to use color primer when possible or just white. It makes basecoating so fast, which is really the tedious part for me.

The second biggest revelation was to use the biggest brush I can get away with for a task, which also makes things a lot faster.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

The second biggest revelation was to use the biggest brush I can get away with for a task, which also makes things a lot faster.
This is key, and something a lot of people miss.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, always use the largest brush you can get away with, as long as its point is fine enough to do the level of detail you want.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

FromTheShire posted:

Related to zenithal priming, is it worth doing on something that's going to have silver over top of it? I was reading that it's more effective under darker colors rather than lighter, but I don't know if that means it is or isn't worth doing under silver/metallics.

Metallics generally look better over black, although if you were doing a larger area zenithal might be worth doing.

One other thing I've been messing around with when I've done zenithal priming is to go over it with a black wash. Helps make out what details are what instead of trying to decipher them on white or black and actually looks kind of cool if you procrastinate on getting to the actually painting it stage

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It also looks like a photo from a 1990ies mini catalogue, which is nice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Not quite what I was thinking but thanks all the same. It also answered a question which had been bothering me for a couple of days: "What's that Polish bits company that isn't Kromlech or Maxmini?" so that was helpful as well.

E: I was more thinking of something like this

I got you fam

https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_10&products_id=312

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yeah, always use the largest brush you can get away with, as long as its point is fine enough to do the level of detail you want.

W&N Size 1 oh yeah. Moving up from 0 was quite an improvement. Great pointy tip for details, huuuuge belly so you don't accidentally overload with paint into the ferrule and holds moisture for so much longer. Compared to the 0 it's like another company made this.

wdarkk posted:

There are different types of wet palette paper out there. What you put in sounds like the paper meant for heavier paints, where lighter acrylics we use for modeling will seep through. The default Sta-Wet papers that I got with mine were no good. I've been using Reynolds Genuine Parchment Paper with much better results. Put a penny or two under the sponge to keep it from molding and smelling like poop.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 29, 2017

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

darnon posted:

Metallics generally look better over black, although if you were doing a larger area zenithal might be worth doing.

One other thing I've been messing around with when I've done zenithal priming is to go over it with a black wash. Helps make out what details are what instead of trying to decipher them on white or black and actually looks kind of cool if you procrastinate on getting to the actually painting it stage

That's very helpful, thank you! Really dig the effect that wash gives too

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Vince Venturello, in his preparing for your best paint job video, actually recommends zenithal priming, then washing, and finally drybrushing with an off-white. It works badly for me because I suck at drybrushing, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Philthy posted:

W&N Size 1 oh yeah. Moving up from 0 was quite an improvement. Great pointy tip for details, huuuuge belly so you don't accidentally overload with paint into the ferrule and holds moisture for so much longer. Compared to the 0 it's like another company made this.

Yeah, W&N 1 is what what I use for normal layering and line/edge highlighting.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Finished these liberators recently, mostly as test minis for my shadespire warband, but I'd be happy enough doing another unit of these or two. Also trying to work out how to do the retributors in a way that fits with these guys.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

Finished these liberators recently, mostly as test minis for my shadespire warband, but I'd be happy enough doing another unit of these or two. Also trying to work out how to do the retributors in a way that fits with these guys.

Looks good. That's likely going to be the color scheme I'm going with as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just a heads up, those Rathcore v3 mini holders are up for sale.

https://www.pk-pro.de/Miniature-Holders-Grips-V3

Love mine. The only thing that annoyed me is the two metal bars can move and twist against each other, so I plastidipped the arm and it's now legit awesome.

I use the 70mm with great effect and it fits my hands perfect. My friend uses the 50mm and enjoys it, and also has the 90mm and said that is just too big for him. I was able to get a War Machine Warjack on the 70mm, probably the largest I would be able to fit without running into issues rotating the bar around.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 29, 2017