Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yay new page!

I've talked about this Chibson thing some.

Specifically: I have a buddy who was going through a Zakk Wylde phase and wanted Les Pauls to take on stage in a cover band he was gigging with a bunch. He bought four Res Pauls: Two Zakk Wylde Camo Bullseye guitars, a white one with a lot of neck inlays, and a blonde one. They cost him about $250 each and they were all in various states of quality.

He got rid of the white one right away, although eBay kept de-listing his auctions as bootlegs (even though he made it very clear in the auctions it was a fake from China.) He made a profit on that one from some lady who wanted to buy it for her son, and didn't care that it was a knock-off.

He spent a ton of money on the better of the two Camouflage Bulls-eye models, loading it with high-gain EMGs, top-notch tuners, tail-piece and bridge, and had all the pots replaced by a luthier (he's never done any soldering and won't try.) I'd imagine he spent about $400.oo more to complete it.

The other he sold off as parts as well.

The blonde one had a funny cosmetic flaw: the seam of the two body halves ended about an inch to the bass side of the center-line of the guitar. He started to try to refinish it, ended up sanding off a lot of finish, hitting it with some stain/oil, and calls it a relic-job. He also replaced the electronics and hardware on that one, too. Meh.

At one point we all pointed out to him for the money he'd spent on his Res Pauls he could have bought a couple used Les Pauls or maybe a nice new one, and his response was... sensible enough: "Then I would be afraid to gig with them."

Ok. So the one guitar plays and sounds quite good, after a hefty investment, but it's tainted in my eyes:

Personally I'm very opinionated about something that this guy has always been into. He built a Strat-style set up like one of Jake E. Lee's Charvels, and paid a guy to make a gold Charvel stick-on logo for the headstock back in the 90s. He had a friend at Zion guitars and took them a Mexi-Strat body and had them put a Zion neck on it, and wanted us to call it his "Zion." (Unfortunately for him, the parting words from the Zion rep who sent him out with the guitar actually said the words, "It came out nice. Too bad it's not a Zion!" on his way out the door. That stung him. Later, he told me about a plan to buy water-slide Fender decals for some aftermarket parts-caster, and we all just shamed him out of it. He was a pioneer of "stolen brand cred" before Chibsons were even a possibility of a thing, and we have mocked him pretty mercilessly about it. The word "poser" comes to mind, but he fights back hard if you say it out loud.

I'd buy a look-alike but I'd pass on the bootleg logos, "Made In USA" marque and fake serial numbers. I think it would be fun to buy one of those CNC-machined JEM bodies and make a custom JEM for myself, some kind of hard-tail; but it wouldn't say "Ibanez" or "JEM" on it anywhere. I'd feel dirty if I bought a bootleg instrument. But I'd try some of those more interesting Chinese-built guitars, even copies, as long as they weren't covered in someone else's logos, etc.

And my more controversial peeve is just relicing in general. I get it, when it comes to buying, say, furniture that you want to match what you already own so you buy it "pre-distressed." But I get the feeling that too many blues dads and (back in the mid-late 90's, blues kids) saw SRV's #1 Strat and decided to self-relic their guitars. Fender saw the market there and makes a sick profit on it, but it still just strikes me as poser behavior, especially if it's someone in a band trying to make pass their 2017 Strat replica off as a legit '57 or some poo poo. A lot of posters couldn't care less and have said so, and that's ok for them.

Anyway, that's off-topic and I'm sorry; but I also have to wonder about who is making these guitars. We joke about 8-year-olds making Chibsons for fish heads or whatever, but I honestly don't know how bad the conditions are for those luthiers. I haven't done any research, frankly the whole thing is rather disgusting, but then again Gibson is loving awful and seriously, gently caress them.

VV I'm totally behind that! VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It would be great if they could make the logo say “gently caress Gibson” or something like that. I still want a Chickenbacker truss rod cover, someday I’ll get around to that.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Go ahead and buy a fake one if you're cool with spending the cost of a used real one in parts to make it playable and sound nice with the understanding that you also can't sell it.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Thumposaurus posted:

That thing was built from scratch by a guy over at the tdpri forums.
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1959-warlock-les-paul-reverse.556998/
It's a pretty nice build just an unfortunate shape.
This is coming from someone who owns a warlock guitar and bass.

The only thing I really dislike about it is that he reversed the shape, rendering the top frets unplayable. It's really funny that he claims it's because the hardware and controls wouldn't fit and that he tried some modifications to the cutouts but couldn't make them work, and then further down on the same page someone posts a picture of a curved top (right way) warlock with the exact same control scheme, and he also admits to having done some mods to the shape by elongating the horns.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Anyway, that's off-topic and I'm sorry; but I also have to wonder about who is making these guitars. We joke about 8-year-olds making Chibsons for fish heads or whatever, but I honestly don't know how bad the conditions are for those luthiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LpB1E4EE7k

Dr. Faustus posted:

Personally I'm very opinionated about something that this guy has always been into. He built a Strat-style set up like one of Jake E. Lee's Charvels, and paid a guy to make a gold Charvel stick-on logo for the headstock back in the 90s. He had a friend at Zion guitars and took them a Mexi-Strat body and had them put a Zion neck on it, and wanted us to call it his "Zion." (Unfortunately for him, the parting words from the Zion rep who sent him out with the guitar actually said the words, "It came out nice. Too bad it's not a Zion!" on his way out the door. That stung him. Later, he told me about a plan to buy water-slide Fender decals for some aftermarket parts-caster, and we all just shamed him out of it. He was a pioneer of "stolen brand cred" before Chibsons were even a possibility of a thing, and we have mocked him pretty mercilessly about it. The word "poser" comes to mind, but he fights back hard if you say it out loud.

the thing that gets me about stolen guitar valor is nobody gives two shits about the name on the headstock. 99% of the public who aren't themselves guitarists or own a music store can name more than two brands; it's completely pointless

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 28, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just use these

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Please don't do that.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody here have any experience with Chibson guitars, or Chinese knockoff Gibsons? I figured if anywhere, this would be the thread for it.

I’ve heard that if you’re willing to replace the crap electronics and do a bit of setup work, you can get a really solid framework of a guitar for cheap, but I’ve never really spoken to anyone who has played one.

I picked up one, mostly to have a pretty prop guitar. I'm not a guitar tone purist and I haven't tried cranking it though a 100W amp or anything but it sounded okay and nothing seemed glaringly out of tune; it was even reasonably set up. Now that I'm back from my trip I'll have to put it through the paces more.

Insides weren't pretty but were serviceable and I'll eventually get around to replacing the parts if the rest holds together.

As for who makes them, some knockoffs are the result of the name-brand factory doing after hours work; once the brand rep goes home they can whip out a few bootlegs. No idea in this case, mind you. It was about a third of the price of the Epiphone version of the above, however.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

hexwren posted:

Please don't do that.

Yeah, it’s not Japanese.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
That’s really interesting to hear that some of these chibsons were made in Epiphone factories. So a lot of these guitars are just Epiphones with “different” headstocks then?

It’s funny, I basically have zero experience with Epiphones. Has anybody here ever played one that’s as good or better than the real deal?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you go for the decent grade (~$600-800) and swap the pickups you can get some real good guitars. My friend has a couple Les Pauls (I think one was a deluxe maybe? It had coil taps stock (and still does even after I switched the pickups for the John Petrucci crunch lab and liquifire) and a black beauty type (I replaced the pickups with Burstbucker Pros for him on this one) that are both pretty good. I'm not 100% sure the black beauty one isn't secretly a brick but that can be normal for les pauls.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If I was in the market for a cheapo Les Paul I'd probably get an Agile (although I've heard they tend to be even heavier than Epiphones.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

Please don't do that.
Sorry. :(

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/steve-vai-and-ibanez-release-25th-anniversary-passion-and-warfare-guitars

$7000 USD

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

In a fair and just and loving universe Ween would never die and they would play these.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

He's really committed to that dumb 7 gimmick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

No tone hole, no purchase.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

quote:

Steve's vision of a new musical landscape took a turn that perhaps even he hadn't anticipated when, in the hands of Korn and other purveyors of Nineties new metal, the seven-string became mandatory equipment for anyone engaging in the genre.

Someone go back in time and smash baby Steve Vai’s fingers

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nineties new metal

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Korn really turned me off when they came out, not just because I hate that screaming frantic style of rap metal stuff; but because of the production.
Every mix sounded like a collection of clicks and pops over heavy drums... the actual fundamental notes in the guitars and bass were missing to my ears.

I was very surprised sometime in the 00s when a buddy of mine insisted I listen to some Korn album and it actually sounded like music, with actual singing. I still didn't care for it much, but it seemed like they'd grown quite a bit as musicians.

Of course you won't be surprised to learn I am a fan of how Vai used his 7-string on Passion & Warfare, it was pretty exciting for us olds back in '89 (the year I graduated High School).

I've never considered buying a 7-string, though. I wouldn't mind having one to goof around on but I'm already certain I'd just get lost on it (I played a friend's Ibanez 7-string, a hard-tail with two humbuckers that sounded very good, but in the short time I played it I was definitely lost and frustrated.)

All the good MIJ JEM products are way outside anything I could afford now.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Korn really turned me off when they came out, not just because I hate that screaming frantic style of rap metal stuff; but because of the production.
Every mix sounded like a collection of clicks and pops over heavy drums... the actual fundamental notes in the guitars and bass were missing to my ears.

yeah ross robinson had a tendency in the 90s to drown everything in multiple layers of big muffs cranked all the way up

also pretty sure at least on their first album most of the actual bass you hear is just 808 drops

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snowy posted:

It would be great if they could make the logo say “gently caress Gibson” or something like that. I still want a Chickenbacker truss rod cover, someday I’ll get around to that.

If I ever get an Aliexpress guitar, it's gonna be a full translucent Jem with LED lighting and the Achewood "Stoned Lightning" logo on the headstock.

They're actually not super expensive either, though I haven't had a few hundred bucks to blow on a guitar in a while. :ohdear:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Reverb is full of stupid poo poo. Especially overpriced stupid poo poo.

2700 dollars lol

I also found what appears to be a Firebird's retarded cousin:

That one is 800-something. Not that bad I guess.

edit: lol

Only 2500 bucks

Only 1440!

This actually kind of owns and is only 550 bucks:

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 29, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah ross robinson had a tendency in the 90s to drown everything in multiple layers of big muffs cranked all the way up

also pretty sure at least on their first album most of the actual bass you hear is just 808 drops

There's an old interview with the bassist who said he uses parametric eq with the bass and treble turned up and "none of that mid poo poo". Pretty sure they mic'ed the strings too for even more clack.

It's pretty much intentionally another part of the drum kit rather than an instrument, Fieldy whacks the poo poo out of his bass whether he's slapping or not. There's more melodic basslines later into the discography, especially on Follow The Leader and Issues.

I used to have a K5 and it was a lovely bass with an incredible tonal range. Course idiot teen me swapped it for a Mexican Jazz Bass, they're worth loving loads now. Regrets on both a musical and financial level there, not for the first time I'm the stupid music poo poo.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

GreatGreen posted:

That’s really interesting to hear that some of these chibsons were made in Epiphone factories. So a lot of these guitars are just Epiphones with “different” headstocks then?

It’s funny, I basically have zero experience with Epiphones. Has anybody here ever played one that’s as good or better than the real deal?

I can't say it's built in an Epiphone factory or not, but I know that's one way bootlegs get made - either QA rejects (or "rejects" pulled off the line to sell later), or off-hours models. Given the conditions in these factories, it's not surprising the employees will take any opportunity they can to make some cash on the side if the management isn't paying attention.

As for Epiphone quality, people I've known seem to like them, but stress that you have to really play one and know what you're doing to make sure you're not getting a crappy one. Or get the super mass-produced $100 Les Paul and assume the assembly line is reasonable. If you order them online it's a dice roll.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Correction: multiple layers of BIGGER Muffs!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=110776.0

Nobody has recreated it, even that one rear end in a top hat who claimed he did it with SMPS.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

It's pretty much intentionally another part of the drum kit rather than an instrument, Fieldy whacks the poo poo out of his bass whether he's slapping or not. There's more melodic basslines later into the discography, especially on Follow The Leader and Issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPoJWk6n84g

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Correction: multiple layers of BIGGER Muffs!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=110776.0

Nobody has recreated it, even that one rear end in a top hat who claimed he did it with SMPS.

credit where it's due, the songs on roots were largely lazy dogshit but the guitars sounded pretty good

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was very surprised sometime in the 00s when a buddy of mine insisted I listen to some Korn album and it actually sounded like music, with actual singing. I still didn't care for it much, but it seemed like they'd grown quite a bit as musicians.

e: hey faustus if you want a real mind-blower this is the lovely late-80s funk metal band 3/5 of korn were previously members of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUAqozzUKM

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 30, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That isolated bass track is hilarious, thank you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

e: hey faustus if you want a real mind-blower this is the lovely late-80s funk metal band 3/5 of korn were previously members of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUAqozzUKM

This is so hateful in its artlessness.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is so hateful in its artlessness.

For a funk-anything band they sure the hell can't keep time together, this grooves like a three-legged dog.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

At least the guitarist from Limp Bizkit expresses open remorse.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

For a funk-anything band they sure the hell can't keep time together, this grooves like a three-legged dog.

The part at 0:22 is hilarious.

Also this is some hilarious stupid music poo poo too: suicidal tendencies' punk/metal side project staring Robert Trujillo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3buKk6ALc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

The part at 0:22 is hilarious.

Also this is some hilarious stupid music poo poo too: suicidal tendencies' punk/metal side project staring Robert Trujillo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3buKk6ALc

whhhooops i loved this when i was a kid. sarsippius skits and all. whatever, we all learn and grow.

edit: or the easy paycheck Ozzy got for 20 minutes in the box...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4eqC3DX_oE

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 30, 2017

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

This sounds like a 12 year old picking up a bass for the first time in a music shop.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
On the subject of isolated tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dsyo2Ox-0

I always forget how amazing John Entwistle was. I'd like to find the isolated bass for You Better You Bet if only for that opening riff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

whhhooops i loved this when i was a kid. sarsippius skits and all. whatever, we all learn and grow.

edit: or the easy paycheck Ozzy got for 20 minutes in the box...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4eqC3DX_oE

I used to listen to suicidal tendencies a shitload when I was a teenager and it sorta helped bridge from punk to metal for me.

This album in particular was on repeat for a while when I was 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDlxPI9K5aU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, this has certainly been a page of the Stupid Music poo poo thread.

Thanks for the history lessons and especially for the Entwistle palate-cleanser!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

stillvisions posted:

I can't say it's built in an Epiphone factory or not, but I know that's one way bootlegs get made - either QA rejects (or "rejects" pulled off the line to sell later), or off-hours models. Given the conditions in these factories, it's not surprising the employees will take any opportunity they can to make some cash on the side if the management isn't paying attention.

As for Epiphone quality, people I've known seem to like them, but stress that you have to really play one and know what you're doing to make sure you're not getting a crappy one. Or get the super mass-produced $100 Les Paul and assume the assembly line is reasonable. If you order them online it's a dice roll.

Got it. Welp, I've been thinking about buying a Chibson lately but after going to a few music stores and trying out a few Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls just to get used to them, I can say for sure that they're so all over the place that I really can't justify spending any money on one sight unseen. They're all so drastically different in feel, quality, and neck shape from one to the other, even multiple guitars of the exact same model and color, that it seems like too big of a risk.

For example, among the guitars I played over just the last few days, two were of a recent model (same color and everything) but they both felt extremely different. I'm not even talking about just the setup, but the feel of the wood itself. You could tell they were sanded by hand, which is cool but also made them feel hugely different with different spots along the neck being smoother/rougher than the other one, etc. Also, one had a good looking dark rosewood fretboard and the other also had a rosewood fretboard, but it was an off-putting greyish kind of color, with obvious streaks in the grain. So basically to echo everybody else, if you can't put it in your hands first, don't buy a Les Paul, or any guitar for that matter, really.

So yeah. I'm quickly moving to the opinion that I don't care how cheap they are, if it's sitting in your music space and for whatever reason you just can’t bond with the thing and so when you see it you don't want to pick it up and play it, you've wasted your money, even if it was only $150.

Sucks, I was looking forward to ordering a gently caress You Gibson guitar, but at the end of the day I’m not going to spend money on a guitar I don’t love. With Chibsons you can’t play one first before buying, so it's just too risky.

Dang.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 30, 2017

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

woodch posted:

On the subject of isolated tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80dsyo2Ox-0

I always forget how amazing John Entwistle was. I'd like to find the isolated bass for You Better You Bet if only for that opening riff.

...or Magic Bus :D

John Entwistle was great. Surrounded by three of the most expressive figures in rock, and he just stood there playing iconic bass riffs with amazing precision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

At least the guitarist from Limp Bizkit expresses open remorse.

did he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt5uuARSVj4