Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The Titanic posted:

I love non lethal weapons. Like that stun baton that’s in all the video games these days. Or the dart gun.

Does the ship have a dart gun or big emp baton it can thwack other space boats with?

If somebody hits the ship I’m knee deep in cleaning the chin out of the hot tub in, will I be electrocuted to death? Will I then maybe live, but be crippled until a medic on a search and rescue ship can find me? :science:

Backers respond to this with elaborate speculative fantasies about how Bounty Hunters need to take people alive sometimes so having a ship with weaponry designed to disable not destroy enemy ships is actually extremely valuable you see.

Kind of like how they were dreaming about those giant "parking sensors" being used to pierce enemy hulls for elaborate boarding actions.

If any of this existed it would just complicate things as people would have to deal with the concept of their $1,000 ships being stopped by "non-lethal weaponry" but luckily for CIG's profits backers will speculate how this could never be a problem and only the most optimal, working, good things can come out of anything they are sold.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
programming is the new anime

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MilesK posted:

If you had read the textbook you'd know they were crowdfunded $4.2 million to make an Oculus Rift game. Then they continued crowdfunding through their website surpassing $85 million and now they're making a game where you move boxes around empty moons.
You mean it goes on beyond that one note? Because it said "incorporating" and "continued funding" to those points so I didn't really mind.

It's the part where we're supposed to imagine Star Citizen as simultaneously this plucky crowdfunded underdog that's going to beat all the publishers at their own game and a huge AAAA game where it's totally fine to (not p2w) buy thousand dollar spaceships through their very blatant carny looking sales platform that makes my brain spaz out. I mean this is part of how I think the game sells to the fuckheads buying in, but I can't bridge that dissonance so smoothly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's actually really simple: the "it's a broken down piece of poo poo but it's got character and I love it" sci-fi tech trope. Serenity from Firefly and the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars are the obvious two, but it's not uncommon to have "this piece of poo poo ship broke down again" as the Problem Of The Week in other sci-fi series. Both are "pieces of poo poo" in their own established universes, beloved by their owners despite their quirks, and beloved by the fanbases of both shows. People are literally daydreaming about "how cool it would be to have a ship like that IRL, and everyone who thinks it's a piece of poo poo can go gently caress themselves because it's got ~character~" and don't spend a second of time thinking about the actual offscreen pain-in-the-rear end maintenance time involved for either.

So basically another iteration of "it works in movies but trying to put it into a game is going to make your game suck" realism simulation. But they're never going to learn that it sucks because it's not actually ever going to end up in the game, so they're just going to fall for the next game that promises exactly the same thing.

Actually, I think it's a fair bit dumber than that, and here's why:

CIG already has an entire line of "lovable pieces of poo poo" with all their Drake ships (Cutlass, Caterpillar, Herald) - those were specifically designed to kind of have that 'second hand' look and feel to them. Aegis doesn't really do that kind of ship, if you look at any of their others, with the exception of maaaaaybe the Avenger. If you watch this stupid video (and I can't blame you if you don't) there's never any real indication that it's anything besides a cutting-edge frontline warship. I think the real answer is Chris has been watching World War Two navy movies again.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Titanic posted:

1: Those missions we told you about? Lying.

What about the women they told us about, Titanic?! I was told there would be WOMEN IN THIS VERSE!!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sabreseven posted:

This is the way CIG and CR do code.

Basically if it were real life, it would be :
Take a bite of an apple, it tastes like purple, the room you're in is now a polar bear, you are happy with how your fins look, the toilet is broken so you must tell the gunslinging cowboy to stop being the leaning tower of pisa, you're on a Micropachycephalosaurus.

Pray CIG never have sway over anyones real life.

:lol: so true

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps1ZL4kxJLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-niBQv1cZI&t=198s

Quavers fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 28, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

What a fun loving game.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's actually really simple: the "it's a broken down piece of poo poo but it's got character and I love it" sci-fi tech trope. Serenity from Firefly and the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars are the obvious two, but it's not uncommon to have "this piece of poo poo ship broke down again" as the Problem Of The Week in other sci-fi series. Both are "pieces of poo poo" in their own established universes, beloved by their owners despite their quirks, and beloved by the fanbases of both shows. People are literally daydreaming about "how cool it would be to have a ship like that IRL, and everyone who thinks it's a piece of poo poo can go gently caress themselves because it's got ~character~" and don't spend a second of time thinking about the actual offscreen pain-in-the-rear end maintenance time involved for either.

So basically another iteration of "it works in movies but trying to put it into a game is going to make your game suck" realism simulation. But they're never going to learn that it sucks because it's not actually ever going to end up in the game, so they're just going to fall for the next game that promises exactly the same thing.

This entire post made me realize that it is preferable to be SC whale than an Aprilia owner.

It's shames me to admit that your post has forced some overdue personal scrutiny. My thanks.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Spiderdrake posted:

That's fine, that's crowdfunding. Calling it crowdfunded now is disingenuous.

At this point it's basically a gofundme for your Uncle's cancer treatment at a hospital in Morocco. You're pretty sure if you stop he'll die, but his instagram is mostly full of pictures of him and his wife having a good time.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
I love how gravity plays such an important role in this game.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Hahaha noclip is amazing.

Star Citizen: IDSPISPOPD

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

At this point it's basically a gofundme for some fat dude to buy boxes of garbage. You're pretty sure if you stop he'll die, but his instagram is mostly full of pictures of him and his wife eating cake by the box

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Backers respond to this with elaborate speculative fantasies about how Bounty Hunters need to take people alive sometimes so having a ship with weaponry designed to disable not destroy enemy ships is actually extremely valuable you see.

Kind of like how they were dreaming about those giant "parking sensors" being used to pierce enemy hulls for elaborate boarding actions.

If any of this existed it would just complicate things as people would have to deal with the concept of their $1,000 ships being stopped by "non-lethal weaponry" but luckily for CIG's profits backers will speculate how this could never be a problem and only the most optimal, working, good things can come out of anything they are sold.

Yeah but the role players eat it up I bet. :)

And isn’t being captured / parents horribly killed / being a hardened murderous murdering evil person ultimately how you become a highly decorated and virtuous soldier these days?

One minute I may be cleaning dried semen out of the crack of a hot tub and get captured and brutalized, and the next I’ll be a General in whatever their army is called with a tough as nails demeanor and a heart of gold. I’ll call people “sport” and “skippy” and will go out alone on patrols and bag endless hordes of baddies.

This is my character write up, please do not archer my original work. I’m looking at you, Chris Roberts, you hack.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Reminds me of the exact same parrots we used to have :kimchi: thanks for this.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Calling it now if no-one has called it yet.

CR is going to order the networking customer service team to use blockchain to fix networking issues.

Baxta fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 28, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I have a leak about tomorrow's land claim sale:

UEC purchasable 'Pioneer' land claims (such as the ones bundled with the Pioneer) will only be valid for uninhabited areas. If you want to build near a landing zone, you'll need to pay real cash for a premium 'UEE' land claim. You'll be provided perks such as priority docking at the LZ, listing player owned store inventory directly on LZ kiosks, having delivery drones for cargo/sales between player base and LZ, chauffeured transport between player base and LZ, access to the champagne room at the LZ, etc. Of course the more popular a LZ is in lore, the more cash you'll have to pay for a claim. Chris is expecting the land claim sale to break previous holiday funding records.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

The Titanic posted:

Yeah but the role players eat it up I bet. :)

And isn’t being captured / parents horribly killed / being a hardened murderous murdering evil person ultimately how you become a highly decorated and virtuous soldier these days?

One minute I may be cleaning dried semen out of the crack of a hot tub and get captured and brutalized, and the next I’ll be a General in whatever their army is called with a tough as nails demeanor and a heart of gold. I’ll call people “sport” and “skippy” and will go out alone on patrols and bag endless hordes of baddies.

This is my character write up, please do not archer my original work. I’m looking at you, Chris Roberts, you hack.

Honestly, non-lethal weapons is I think mainly tied to wanting to keep other players 'prisoner' and enact this stupid fetish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV-RBeDt2B0

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Thank you The Titanic and Latin Phoenix for enjoying my posts. :shobon:

Also Star Citizen is very good and I am looking forward to this year's 2018 Citcon celebration along with the release of Alpha 4.0

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

hardycore posted:

programming is the new anime

The comedy part is that it’s for a guy currently working in education who wants to switch careers, and not get a formal education. And everybody is seriously throwing out C, C++, all kinds of higher education stuff...

Which is fantastic except the likelihood of completing CS degree level stuff, and somehow landing a job with only “personal experience” when you’re not starting this task at the age of 13, is near impossible.

I don’t care if I’m wrong or people disagree, but the only answer here is try to get into web development, or learn Linux and vim and hardware stuff like networking and try to break into IT.

The chances of landing a real hardcore programming job in a realistic timeframe without getting a degree is silly. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s hugely unlikely.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Raskolnikov posted:

Also Star Citizen is very good and I am looking forward to this year's 2018 Citcon celebration along with the release of Alpha 4.0

I don't know where the truth ends and the lies begin.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Raskolnikov posted:

Let's not look past the upcoming holiday stream. Last year's was amazing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Who would have ever guessed the dream all these people wanted was to fly no-clip "spaceships" over empty, boring moons?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tokamak posted:

I have a leak about tomorrow's land claim sale:

UEC purchasable 'Pioneer' land claims (such as the ones bundled with the Pioneer) will only be valid for uninhabited areas. If you want to build near a landing zone, you'll need to pay real cash for a premium 'UEE' land claim. You'll be provided perks such as priority docking at the LZ, listing player owned store inventory directly on LZ kiosks, having delivery drones for cargo/sales between player base and LZ, chauffeured transport between player base and LZ, access to the champagne room at the LZ, etc. Of course the more popular a LZ is in lore, the more cash you'll have to pay for a claim. Chris is expecting the land claim sale to break previous holiday funding records.

Cool, whatever. Unless my land grant comes with fuckable robots, I'm not interested.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

The Titanic posted:

The chances of landing a real hardcore programming job in a realistic timeframe without getting a degree is silly. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s hugely unlikely.

I disagree.
Roberts will take anyone these days.
Especially if you have a marketing diploma

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Game is good, I'm buying in.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Crazypoops posted:

Giant Footprint Rail Gun is awesome.
Frighten your enemies with huge feet.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Crazypoops posted:

The railgun impact decal

is a footprint

and it's at least 2048 if not 4096.

Namaste.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Titanic posted:

The comedy part is that it’s for a guy currently working in education who wants to switch careers, and not get a formal education. And everybody is seriously throwing out C, C++, all kinds of higher education stuff...

Which is fantastic except the likelihood of completing CS degree level stuff, and somehow landing a job with only “personal experience” when you’re not starting this task at the age of 13, is near impossible.

I don’t care if I’m wrong or people disagree, but the only answer here is try to get into web development, or learn Linux and vim and hardware stuff like networking and try to break into IT.

There are plenty of jobs in ed-tech. IMO he should learn about agile/scrum and apply for an ed-tech company as a curriculum consultant, agile coach, product owner, etc. From there, if he works hard on his programming chops, there's a chance he could eventually make the transition.

Degree/education doesn't amount to much. Like I said before, hands-down the worst candidates I interview have CS degrees. Most of the great programmers I knew/know have engineering degrees in other stuff, or math degrees, or art degrees. One of the most brilliant programmers I worked with had a masters in english lit. Some have no degree at all. It's all about work experience, domain knowledge, a creative intellect, and above all else, the ability to interview well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

You mean it goes on beyond that one note? Because it said "incorporating" and "continued funding" to those points so I didn't really mind.

It's the part where we're supposed to imagine Star Citizen as simultaneously this plucky crowdfunded underdog that's going to beat all the publishers at their own game and a huge AAAA game where it's totally fine to (not p2w) buy thousand dollar spaceships through their very blatant carny looking sales platform that makes my brain spaz out. I mean this is part of how I think the game sells to the fuckheads buying in, but I can't bridge that dissonance so smoothly.

The CIG paradox.

They are simultaneously a huge, multinational corporation equipped to redefine technology, and also those innocent indies who keep on trying real hard and failing (but aww look how hard they try, we’ll just give them a pass because they try so hard).

Chris Roberts is simultaneously a battle hardened professional capable of building new technology the world has never thought of, and also that guy who is just a cute joker because everything he says is a joke/lie (and it’s an innocent joke, not like a lie designed to trick people any of course).

There may eventually be more angry backers when they realize only one half of the simultaneous actions are actually truthful (less than truthful probably, they are not innocent plucky indies despite still failing hard).

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The Titanic posted:

I love non lethal weapons. Like that stun baton that’s in all the video games these days. Or the dart gun.

Does the ship have a dart gun or big emp baton it can thwack other space boats with?

If somebody hits the ship I’m knee deep in cleaning the chin out of the hot tub in, will I be electrocuted to death? Will I then maybe live, but be crippled until a medic on a search and rescue ship can find me? :science:

What happens when the space toilet gets clogged, do you just start plunging and hope to god a goon doesn't ram you with his nipple jet propelled Space Jeep?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Pantsbird posted:

The railgun impact decal

is a footprint

and it's at least 2048 if not 4096.

Namaste.

They use decals? Was Chris Roberts told? No way did he sign off on anything other than every grain of sand being rendered as crunching through all the treads in the sole of the boot.

My immersion is ruined.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

What about the women they told us about, Titanic?! I was told there would be WOMEN IN THIS VERSE!!

Women, or should I say females!? In the space game of killing and pirates!? Pshaw!

They’d just slow everything down with stupid boob armor space suits and stupid high heels and aprons.

Everybody knows all girls get a Str -1 by default. :colbert:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

-Non-acceptable answers include:

a) July 2015 blog
b) blog in general

Can this just be a thread rule?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyLoon posted:

Honestly, non-lethal weapons is I think mainly tied to wanting to keep other players 'prisoner' and enact this stupid fetish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV-RBeDt2B0

I know exactly where this stuff goes in games. It either gets kinky, or full on Stanford Experiment levels of crazy, or you just get trolled stupidly.

Even trying to do stuff like this is asking for these elements to come together and start dreaming up gently caress fantasies.

Not like they need this with dumb stuff like hot tub mechanics going into every aspect, and gross bathroom stuff.

Star Citizen, out of the box, is a gross fetishists dream game. It’s aiming to be high fidelity second life, and that’s what people want. CR feeds this, but then goes on building his own fetish game which is directing actors.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Women, or should I say females!? In the space game of killing and pirates!? Pshaw!

They’d just slow everything down with stupid boob armor space suits and stupid high heels and aprons.

Everybody knows all girls get a Str -1 by default. :colbert:

Excuse me but they also have a +1 Manly Bi and a +4 Full Bull potential.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

:hfive:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Once the spacelords of Space Second Life have finished planning and zoning out the upper stratospheres and the desolate surfaces of their Daymars, I plan to engage in illicit encroachment upon those deeds. Ala Harvest Moon style - the farms were actually left to me in a will, and proceed to raise chickens and space melons knowing full well the support of Space Court behind my back

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Crazypoops posted:

What happens when the space toilet gets clogged, do you just start plunging and hope to god a goon doesn't ram you with his nipple jet propelled Space Jeep?

I was going to write something witty, but then I imagined opening up a bathroom and inside is the Silent Hill grade body horror Stimpire of “a normal Star Citizen character” as it is all stretched out like a horror spider, and it’s looking at a phone or something. And that image scared me.

In Star Citizen you never really know when you’re going to get John Carpenter’d, but it’s always when you least expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I was going to write something witty, but then I imagined opening up a bathroom and inside is the Silent Hill grade body horror Stimpire of “a normal Star Citizen character” as it is all stretched out like a horror spider, and it’s looking at a phone or something. And that image scared me.

In Star Citizen you never really know when you’re going to get John Carpenter’d, but it’s always when you least expect it.

So thats how toilet guy cosplayer gets you... he spaghettis and his shirt moves up and the bulge kills you?