Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Transformers the Last Knight: 0/5.
Granted I slept through all but the last 40 minutes, but the first thing out of my mouth was 'why is King Ghidora in this?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Robot ghidorah should be in more movies

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Slow rest of November.

Justice League (2017) (full review at the link)

Rating: Dislike (scale of Like/Indifferent/Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Joss Whedon takes the Book of Revelations buildup from Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman and turns it into another flattened bit of nothing featuring lots of standing around. Losing Zack Snyder from the project was bad, but worse was what happened to all the women in Justice League without Deborah Snyder's influence on Zack's direction. Lois Lane became a woman defined by sex and what she isn't, Wonder Woman an all-purpose mommy/girlfriend/sister/boo boo kisser (you'd think Whedon would have learned his less with Black Widow but noooooooope), Martha Kent a fretting mom, and Iris West got deleted from Justice League's existence. The soundtrack is tinny (adding more insult to injury by reducing Tina Guo's powerful cello to less impactful strings), villain motivations were erased, and the whole thing feels like 1/3 an attempt to capture the awe of the other DCEU films with the remaining 2/3 going through the motions. Tremendous disappointment.

A Letter to Three Wives (1949) (full review at the link)

Rating: Like (scale of Like/Indifferent/DIslike)

Capsule thoughts: An unexpectedly chilling romantic dramedy focusing on three women barely keeping up an image of put-together home life while one of their abusive husbands threatens to step out. There's a lot of visual weight on the expectations of class, with one standout shot showing what looks to be a funeral or memorial service for one of the wives as she "graduates" up to a higher class. Some genuinely nauseating transitions, with faces melting together as the wives' suspicions moan on the soundtrack. Overall a surprisingly hostile look at the way men force women to behave a specific way and the effect it has. Director also did All About Eve, so if you enjoy that give this a looksee.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Rating: Dislike (scale of Like/Indifferent/Dislike)

Capsule thoughts: Joss Whedon takes the Book of Revelations buildup from Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman and turns it into another flattened bit of nothing featuring lots of standing around. Losing Zack Snyder from the project was bad, but worse was what happened to all the women in Justice League without Deborah Snyder's influence on Zack's direction.

You're aware Snyder still shot most of the movie right? He wasn't replaced, he just wasn't around for reshoots. So it's more a hybrid.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

You're aware Snyder still shot most of the movie right? He wasn't replaced, he just wasn't around for reshoots. So it's more a hybrid.

Right, hence:

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

the whole thing feels like 1/3 an attempt to capture the awe of the other DCEU films with the remaining 2/3 going through the motions. Tremendous disappointment.

Each woman was rewritten, deleted, or otherwise simplified when Whedon took over. Clark was altered entirely. So on and so forth. What Snyder shot and what made it into Whedon's cut is getting extensive documentation now, and even without knowing that it's a terrible mishmash of style.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At this point the documentation is best taken with a lot of salt.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this point the documentation is best taken with a lot of salt.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-danny-elfman-hates-reboots-scrap-classic-themes-1059632

Elfman was brought in as much of Justice League was still being shot, which was after Zack and Deborah stepped away. Bare minimum, Zack and Joss' styles are in different hemispheres and they clashed terribly with the latter's lack of visual skill overwhelming the former in the final product. Even before the tragedy there was a heaping helping of interference.

Taste being as it is, this doesn't have much salt in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'd rather watch B v S than Age of Ultron, but that's not saying much. Comic book movies are garbo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd rather watch B v S than Age of Ultron, but that's not saying much. Comic book movies are garbo.

Nah, Ultron at least has James Spader. I can't even remember anything from Beavis other than Jesse Eisenberg making an rear end of himself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

For some reason, bad as they are, the DC movies stick in my head...whereas the Marvel movies are forgotten at the door.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Marvel movies are fun, but generally safe and formulaic. The only ones I remember particularly well are Cap 2 and the final scenes of Spidey.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I’m the opposite but I’ve seen most of the marvel movies multiple times (all except Thor) but never had a desire to watch any DC flick more than once.

Except their animated features. Most of those are great. Just not killing joke.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I don't know how people watch Marvel movies more than once, except maybe Winter Soldier because of the fight choreography.

Those movies are agitprop to the loving extreme.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes, the Marvel cinematic universe is overt political propaganda :rolleyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really want to hear your explanation of such a ridiculous claim

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They promote fascist technocratic savior ideals, unilateral economic and militaristic intervention, and brand-associated universal monoculture, while equating civil governance as a waste of time in the face of world catastrophe. They are films that are generated by a media corporation which currently owns 1/5th of the total cinema marketshare, benefits from (currently and for many decades prior) a revolving door of corrupt hoorah business elite fuckheads, direct and indirect ties with the national security state, financial and federal regulators, etc, etc, that allows script supervision by the military whenever military assets are depicted on screen (which is often), and that puts pressure on journalists with regard to affiliated news stories regarding lovely practices by the parent company.

edit; Disney has also been directly involved in the creation of legit wartime propaganda (as distinct from agitprop) and since we're, well, perpetually at war...

Seriously, were you born yesterday?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
So your argument is basically there is no ethical consumerism under capitalism?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Iron Man is about how war profiteering is bad and the film lost military funding because of it. Winter Soldier is about how America recruited Nazi scientists after World War II and how that might have helped us lead us to an overly-controlling government today. Thor 3 is about how if your nation is build on the success of destroying and dominating others, maybe its time to burn it all down.

They aren't perfect movies and they definitely aren't societal criticism, but I wouldn't call them pro-fascism.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 25, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
In a lot of ways the stories they were based on are much more so. The Civil War comics were about a techno fascist surveillance state defeating privacy and individual liberty while the movie was about how tools of mass destruction should be contained by international oversight.

edit: in the movie, Tony is the obvious voice of reason. This gets overshadowed by emotional conflicts between him and other characters but Iron Man is clearly right that The Avengers should be governed by international law, and Cap is clearly wrong in maintaining that superheroes (ironically Captain AMERICA) be entirely independent non state actors. But they don’t get to have a real argument about it anyway because movie.

In the comics, the issue is that all powered individuals - even nonpowered superheroes - register with the government and either become trained police or quit. Anyone who doesn’t register is a criminal. Anyone who doesn’t sign up with the cops or the military has to quit. Tony is 100% on board with this and it very quickly transitions into incarcerating his friends/internment camps. Then he starts putting former super villains in charge of things. Captain America basically fails and gets assassinated soon afterwards.

This was the Bush era though. We had a literal super villain in charge of the USA. Things are different now, in 2017.

bad day fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 25, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes I agree that the movies drip-feed counterpoints on the occasion, and yet...

In fact, the technocratic natsec spy state motif in Winter Soldier is completely sold up the creek and nullified by the overblown illuminnazi story beat.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Marvel movies, like all films, are a land of contrasts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

Marvel movies, like all films, are a land of contrasts.

Fair enough. :)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I think the best criticism of Marvel movies is that they are all the same movie. But it’s an entertaining movie. Meanwhile everyone else is so concerned with launching a cinematic universe they fail at that one basic task.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Three Billboards: 4/5, nice to have a film where most things arent so black and white and the ending gives you discussion fodder.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

The Villainess (2017) 4/5 - this was really great. Not my favorite action movie of the year but I did like it more than John Wick 2.

What was your favorite?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Free Fire is hardly discussed but it was very good. Atomic Blonde had a couple great action scenes between questionable spy plots

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

"Overt" is the only inaccurate word here. All art reflects the political values of its creators, whether intentionally or not, and the MCU mostly reflects the political values of a bunch of rich assholes.

e: I only say "mostly" because the Netflix series have largely taken an outright oppositional approach to the movies; Daredevil is about how devoting yourself to violence destroys your soul, Jessica Jones is an examination of rape culture through the lens of superheroes, Luke Cage is about black identity in the modern world and the pros and cons of working within the system vs. working to erode it, and The Punisher is about how the military-industrial complex is a meat grinder that turns our best and brightest into broken husks of who they used to be. It's actually sort of impressive how the Netflix series, Iron Fist and Defenders aside, have avoided all the political pitfalls of the MCU movies (though this largely requires them to ignore the movies aside from the barest minimum of lip service).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 26, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Best of Times (1986): 3/4

Varsity Blues by way of Rocky. The "ground rules" line is hilarious, btw. I'm surprised I never heard of this before, considering the costars.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

What was your favorite?

So far it's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. They are solid movies (except the first two) and the last one was great

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Everything I've seen so far in theaters from 10/30-11/25 (I ran out of movies. Next batch starts around december 8th thankfully)

The Good:

Nightmare before Christmas (I was one of three people in the halloween night screening, but whatever, worth it)
Good Time
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Bitch

The Pretty Good (but I doubt I'd ever rewatch it):

Thelma
Murder on the orient express
Thor Ragnarok
Ladybird
White Dog (fuller retrospective)

The eh/mediocre/catch on cable:

The Square
Suburbicon
Roman J Israel

The I wish I could get my time back list:

Justice League
Jigsaw

Honorable Mentions- I watched The Florida Project a second time with a friend who wanted to see it (to a still crowded theater!). My throwing it into the good/would watch again pile held up. It's still solid a second time, and you catch more of the final conflict/foreshadowing knowing ahead of time. Also, anytime you see or hear a TV in the shot Greg the bunny is playing (or warren the ape I guess) which is kind of an amazing in joke I missed totally the first viewing. Annnnddd I finally "got" the title. I also still think willem dafoe is totally unnecessary on a rewatch..you can cut his character out of the movie and not lose anything plot wise. I love me some dafoe but he's definitely there to lend a name to the film.

Also watched Wonder Woman before going to see Justice League. They were both pretty meh. Did I see a different movie re: WW? I don't get the hype, it was pretty forgettable and the villain was silly/weak af. Maybe it plays better if you're a fan of that character or something?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm definitely noticing a trend of people seeing Wonder Woman in the last month or so and not liking it. Not sure how to explain it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Ratings out of 100 as always:

Lost in Space (1998) - 29
Justice League (2017) - 37
Stranger Than Paradise (1984) - 88
She's Gotta Have It (1986) - 88
Lady Bird (2017) - 77
After Hours (1985) - 89
My Dinner with Andre (1981) - 91
The King of Comedy (1983) - 90
Green Room (2016) - 86
Good Time (2017) - 88
Licence to Kill (1989) - 79
The Living Daylights (1987) - 74

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I'm definitely noticing a trend of people seeing Wonder Woman in the last month or so and not liking it. Not sure how to explain it.

Probably because it's not very good

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wonder Woman is a good but not great super hero film that stands out among it's contemporaries for being the first female led super hero film and being the first good DC film. It has a lot of issues though and doesn't hold up well on repeat viewings. I'd put it as a firm 3/5.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Probably because it's not very good

Comic book movies are bad.

Bottom Liner posted:

Wonder Woman is a good but not great super hero film that stands out among it's contemporaries for being the first female led super hero film and being the first good DC film. It has a lot of issues though and doesn't hold up well on repeat viewings. I'd put it as a firm 3/5.

Bingo.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you're forgetting a little film called Tank Girl

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why didnt you like The Square? I heard good things

Coco (2017) 4/5, Pixar makes another great movie, ho-hum? I dont usually predict plot beats but i did during this one, it was still great though if formulaic

Howl's Moving Castle - 3/4, pretty drat good but didnt fully click for me.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Blade of the Immortal (2017) 4/5
Rabid (1977) 3/5
Turn Left, Turn Right (2003) 4/5
13 Assassins (2010) 5/5
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991) 4/5
Bride of Re-Animator (1989) 3/5
Ebola Syndrome (1996) 3/5
Fulltime Killer (2001) 3/5
The Seventh Curse (1986) 4/5

Adbot