Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Aerox posted:

We've played the first two scenarios now, and my group is loving the game, but my Mindthief player is getting very frustrated because he can't figure out the tempo of Mindthief. In his words, all he can do is big melee attacks, but claims to have no way to defend himself or escape without instantly getting blown up. He's the only one of us who's been exhausted, and he exhausted in both scenarios.

Are there any friendly suggestions we can give him for Mindthief players? We don't want to tell him he's playing wrong, but it seems obvious to all of us that he's playing wrong. He also unfortunately took the starting recommended items (potion + poison dagger) and not the invisibility cloak, although I think that will be his next purchase.

Invisibility cloak is huge. First make sure he is rocking the +2 to attack, always. Midfreak gets by killing things, not taking hits. He should be going after smaller guys and not trying to trade blows with elites. Use the invisibility card/cloak to get in and do damage to elites if you aren't going to kill them. Check out the X cards, I swapped out a couple for the '1' cards. They are good and give you more options.

The 2 problems you face with mindfreak are movement, he's slow and before you level up you don't have a ton of movement options. You just have to be careful, use your move 3 attack 1 card and stamina potion to get it back. He's also too fast for his own good, meaning enemies will agro on him, invisibility or murder things. Preferably murder things.

As the game goes and enemies get more stats he becomes way more useful. Suddenly that 'make and enemy attack 2' now have an enemy pierce another's shield and that one retaliates back and you can do a lot of awesome things.

After you get some perks, throw in all the muddle cards and muddle everything that you touch. Also bless yourself at the temple of the Great Oak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

We have the previous generation model (8.9" Kindle Fire) and the companion is completely unusable. It's sluggish at best to begin with but the companion app just causes the whole thing to poo poo itself until the tab crashes. I guess there are some other browsers available for it, but I haven't looked into trying any of those yet. No idea on the newer model you're looking at, but I had been getting the impression that newer models weren't a very big step up.

Currently running it on my iPhone 6S+ and it's kinda clunky but it works. The card transition rendering is very bad (at least in Safari) and you can't adjust the scale on the page, but it's 'good enough' otherwise.

Someone could really stand to rewrite the page to be more mobile friendly, or build a simple App for the thing instead.

Is the app that terribly optimized? The fire 7 can run games just fine. Ill test the app in a few hours when I get home.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Not having the game yet, I'm confused on which is the good monster app. There's Gloomy Companion which is a web app, but there's also an Android app. Which is being used in these two examples with the 8.9" and the 7"?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I dunno, it doesn't seem super well coded but also it's a super simple app. I tried it a handful of times and just couldn't get it to work at all on our Kindle, we got it as a hand-me-down though so maybe the thing has hardware/software issues.

KingKapalone posted:

Not having the game yet, I'm confused on which is the good monster app. There's Gloomy Companion which is a web app, but there's also an Android app. Which is being used in these two examples with the 8.9" and the 7"?

I was talking about the Gloomy Companion web app, running via a browser.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OgreNoah posted:

I got a first edition so nothing was wrong with mine, but 3M makes good stuff.

screech on the beach posted:

3M Super 77 works like a charm. It's a huge can and you can keep it handy if you have any cardboard tear for any other game you have ever.

Thanks!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My phone runs Gloomy Companion on Chrome perfectly, and it's a cheapo budget phone, albeit a recent model (Moto e4).

When I'm at home I'll usually cast the chrome tab from my laptop to the TV.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I dunno, it doesn't seem super well coded but also it's a super simple app. I tried it a handful of times and just couldn't get it to work at all on our Kindle, we got it as a hand-me-down though so maybe the thing has hardware/software issues.

I was talking about the Gloomy Companion web app, running via a browser.

Gotcha. Ill test on the 7 in a few hours, it'll still be on sale then. That tablet loads things slowly but then runs them fine. Like Mario Runner which is pretty intensive takes 3x as long to initially load the app as my new phone, but then runs it flawlessly. Theres something seriously wrong with a test displaying app if it doesn't work.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Test out the Android app (which I can't say I know the name of) and the Gloomy Companion web app if you can please. I might just go get one at Best Buy since it's the same price. I realize that I can probably use this thing as a recipe display when I'm cooking too which is convenient since my board gaming and cooking take place in the same area.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I was talking about the web app which runs fine on the 7" in the silk browser. Downloaded the MonsterAI app off the google play store and that also runs smooth as butter, if that's the one people are talking about. We just use the web app because that's what we tried first.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

I was talking about the web app which runs fine on the 7" in the silk browser. Downloaded the MonsterAI app off the google play store and that also runs smooth as butter, if that's the one people are talking about. We just use the web app because that's what we tried first.

Thanks! I might pick a spare one up. Because we are in the future where I spent more to sleeve the game then the tablet to run the companion app.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks. I'm going to get the 7" one. Saw this in the tablet thread to get Google Play Store on it: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

I realize that I can probably use this thing as a recipe display when I'm cooking too which is convenient since my board gaming and cooking take place in the same area.

Triggered!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. I'm going to get the 7" one. Saw this in the tablet thread to get Google Play Store on it: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

This is what I did and it worked no problem. It works like any other android after that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The kindle fires are seriously an insane deal.

If the kids edition isn't too much more, it has a two year no questions warranty. Which, if you are using it for cooking, may be interesting.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Also bless yourself at the temple of the Great Oak.

Blessings are great when you're rocking big attacks off the cards and/or have a poorly optimized modifier deck where you have a lot of negative results (they then increase the odds of you getting something good). But the Mindthief can pare their modifier deck down to almost exclusively positive modifiers with a lot of nice bonuses, and throws out a lot of tiny attacks (admittedly with the possibility of that +2 from the attack augment), so blessings become increasingly non-optimal for them.

Personally I would recommend a few things:
1) Be careful about positioning - as a mindthief you never want to be stuck standing in a door as the next room charges at you, or really in a position where you're the primary target for more than a couple of attacks. And as you said, the mindthief trends very fast so will be primary target if they're equidistant from enemies compared to other party members. (There's a way to fix that but it's not immediately available.)

2) While the +2 damage augment is great, if survivability is the issue the one that heals the Mindthief for 2 on a melee attack affords them the possibility of up to four points of healing in a turn and will go a long way towards keeping them up. Personally I felt like this was the mandatory augment right up until level 5 unless things were going much better than usually happened and I had room for some free hits without return fire.

3) Remind them that as long as someone survives to complete the objective it is perfectly okay for them to become exhausted - there's no real penalty aside from missing a couple of turns that might have gotten them cash or XP (but if you burn yourself out playing XP cards you'll get more XP than surviving, so). Unless of course the actual objective is for everyone to survive, which does happen occasionally.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It feels good sometimes to know you are about to win and just burn a bunch of cards. As mindthiefs you can go first. Get 4xp and do massive damage to a scenario winning boss and if you are out. Your buddies will get the last 2 points who cares.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just to make sure we're playing right, when you level up you get to only pick one new card of your level or lower and add it to the pool of cards you can pick from when you go adventuring. Not ALL the level 2 cards when you hit level 2.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Just to make sure we're playing right, when you level up you get to only pick one new card of your level or lower and add it to the pool of cards you can pick from when you go adventuring. Not ALL the level 2 cards when you hit level 2.

No - all the cards for that level enter your pool. You can always use anything that's your level or below (always including X's).

I am wrong, ignore me. Sounds like you were doing it right.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 28, 2017

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

jmzero posted:

No - all the cards for that level enter your pool. You can always use anything that's your level or below (always including X's).

Unless this was errataed I don't believe that's correct.

From the 2nd ed manual:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Aerox posted:

Unless this was errataed I don't believe that's correct.

Huh. We certainly did this wrong (for hundreds of hours of play...)

And I'd guess we weren't the only ones, as the new wording/emphasis is stronger than what's in the old manual.

I'm not sure I like this rule. I mean, I get that it makes a (considerable) balance difference, but where do you track what cards are in your pool? I also liked being able to respec/experiment a bit more than this would let you do. Huh.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

And I'd guess we weren't the only ones, as the new wording/emphasis is stronger than what's in the old manual.

I'm not sure I like this rule. I mean, I get that it makes a (considerable) balance difference, but where do you track what cards are in your pool? I also liked being able to respec/experiment a bit more than this would let you do. Huh.

this was kind of how I felt, like ONE card? That seems silly especially if I'm retiring my first character before I even hit level three, but whatever I guess he can keep leveling up if I play him outside of the campaign, right?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

jmzero posted:

What we do is sleeve the cards that are currently in the cardpool and keep the rest in the platic envelope they came in originally. And yeah, having all the cards unlocked sounds like it would make you insanely powerful.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this was kind of how I felt, like ONE card? That seems silly especially if I'm retiring my first character before I even hit level three, but whatever I guess he can keep leveling up if I play him outside of the campaign, right?

Before you're even close to done with the campaign your characters will start their existence at level 4 or 5 and be picking several additional cards before you've even played them once.

But also, you're going to be playing enough different characters in the game that it's nice to have decisions to make that (can) make a new character of a class that's already been played (which despite the vast number of classes will happen sooner or later - again, we might be half done with the campaign, after about 9 months, and we've unlocked all but about four classes) different from the previous one.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You will soon be starting with a level 3 with 5 perks from building the character.

Gotta let them go. Get to the good stuff. Can't retire my character now. He's at 19 out of 20 different monsters killed. And we keep getting the same monsters in the scenarios. :(

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Are there any particularly interesting pairs or trios from the starting classes? Ideally a trio that breaks down into an interesting duo or two. I've been hearing that Tinkerer's a bit unsuited to two-character play.

The main thing is know where your damage is coming from. The tinkerer is a supporting/enabling class and a lot of his big damage cards are one shot.

To me the most interesting class combos are ones that heavily use the elemental track as you get great synergies from each other. So Cragheart Spellweaver might be a fun opener. None of the other starting 6 have big elemental usage, but both of those classes do some heavy lifting on the durability and damage side of the equation so you have a lot of flexibility as to who the third is. I'd probably go mindthief as they have a lot of flexibility.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

To me the most interesting class combos are ones that heavily use the elemental track as you get great synergies from each other.

This is my only disappointment with Mindthief/Brute so far, but I did swap in the X card that lets the Mindthief consume the frost he generates.

keldon
May 14, 2009
Anybody gotten to enhancing cards yet? We unlocked the ability last night, and so far have only done one: the Mindthief's Scurry. We added a +1 to the Move line, to more reliably trigger the Horned Helm's +1 attack. It's a stressful choice: it's very expensive, we can only enhance one card per class (so far), and we want to use a card that will always be useful even after more level ups.

We're thinking of adding Curse to one of the Tinkerer's area attacks. Dropping 3 misses in the monster deck has got to be nice. Not sure what card to go for with my Brute. The one I get the most use out of is Skewer, but adding a third hex seems bad, and while +1 attack would be nice I'm wondering if there's a better option.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The main thing is know where your damage is coming from. The tinkerer is a supporting/enabling class and a lot of his big damage cards are one shot.

To me the most interesting class combos are ones that heavily use the elemental track as you get great synergies from each other. So Cragheart Spellweaver might be a fun opener. None of the other starting 6 have big elemental usage, but both of those classes do some heavy lifting on the durability and damage side of the equation so you have a lot of flexibility as to who the third is. I'd probably go mindthief as they have a lot of flexibility.

Hey that's exactly the combo we're going on, cragheart/spellweaver 2p. It's fun! The elements definitely come into play, where they might kinda not for a lot of other starters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

keldon posted:

Anybody gotten to enhancing cards yet? We unlocked the ability last night, and so far have only done one: the Mindthief's Scurry. We added a +1 to the Move line, to more reliably trigger the Horned Helm's +1 attack. It's a stressful choice: it's very expensive, we can only enhance one card per class (so far), and we want to use a card that will always be useful even after more level ups.

We're thinking of adding Curse to one of the Tinkerer's area attacks. Dropping 3 misses in the monster deck has got to be nice. Not sure what card to go for with my Brute. The one I get the most use out of is Skewer, but adding a third hex seems bad, and while +1 attack would be nice I'm wondering if there's a better option.

Enhancing cards isn't going to be a frequent thing, just because of how much it costs. Because of that, you aren't really going to just add +1 damage to things--it just isn't very efficient, and making a big number bigger is actually usually going to be worse than upping a small one. On the Cragheart the one upgrade I had while I was playing the character (I took one after cashing out my stuff before retiring as well, but never played with it) was upgrading Heaving Swing from Push 1 to Push 2, which made it so much better for shoving people through rocks or into traps. On my current character, my two upgrades are both for movement, which has done wonders for being able to do my thing.

For the brute in particular, I think I'd look for a good status effect--and remember, multi-target cards cost more to upgrade.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

keldon posted:

some later classes are particularly reliant on enhancements. the (symbol spoiler) sun class in particular.

also curse is one of the 3 most important abilities in the game.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Played the first 8 scenarios and one later down the line. Will probably finish the current storyline and then go for some sidequests.

Regarding the Mindthief; it simply cannot go toe to toe with any enemies, which is very rough in the beginning.
There are a lot of options to work around this, though not all are available right away;

* Summons. If you are next to some big bad, dump a summon there. Their initiative is always lower than yours, so they will be targeted first by the enemy.
* Invisible. You have an L1 Invisible move and the cloak is available for purchase as well. Bonus points since you can set up choke points and blockades with this. You cannot box in enemies with obstacles, but invisible characters will work.
* Stun, you have 2 stun moves at L1. One requires frost so that isn't always an option, but the ranged one will still work in close combat. While with disadvantage you'll probably do no damage, the stun effect is applied.
* Disarm, same as above
* Muddle, not as good as the above, but it will prevent crits.
* Immobilize, back away out of their range.
* Push, works just fine with slow guys like Earth Demons, but other enemies can still be pushed closer to an ally who is capable of taking hits.

Always have one of these things ready to use. Never move next to an enemy you cannot kill, attack and remain there unless they are stunned/disarmed or at least muddled if you do not have invisibility ready.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Aerox posted:

We've played the first two scenarios now, and my group is loving the game, but my Mindthief player is getting very frustrated because he can't figure out the tempo of Mindthief. In his words, all he can do is big melee attacks, but claims to have no way to defend himself or escape without instantly getting blown up. He's the only one of us who's been exhausted, and he exhausted in both scenarios.

Are there any friendly suggestions we can give him for Mindthief players? We don't want to tell him he's playing wrong, but it seems obvious to all of us that he's playing wrong. He also unfortunately took the starting recommended items (potion + poison dagger) and not the invisibility cloak, although I think that will be his next purchase.

He should try to get into the rhythm of the character. Alternate slow and fast turns. Go slow round one, after the monsters - move up and stab. Round two, go really fast - stab and run back out of range. Once our mindthief got this, her play experience got a lot more enjoyable. Other "glass cannon" characters play like this too.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

some later classes are particularly reliant on enhancements. the (symbol spoiler) sun class in particular.

also curse is one of the 3 most important abilities in the game.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading the Shield 1 for the whole game to Shield 2 card for that class. I'm not sure what else to upgrade at the moment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played the first game with my kid last night. He was the Brute and he chose Tinkerer for me. We got off to a rocky start but rolled through the rest of the first scenario without any hiccups. We screwed up at the very end - thought that we had time to loot before leaving the dungeon, so we ended up redoing the last turn, but otherwise it went really well. By the end of the game my son was making his own decisions without prompting, and he was really happy when we beat the last monster.

I need to get an app for tracking characters though. I really don’t like their paper solution.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I need to get an app for tracking characters though. I really don’t like their paper solution.

I like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.timmcode.ghcampaigntracker.droid&hl=en

That lets you manage all your characters, parties, and campaigns. When you enter your scenario completions and looted treasure numbers, it logs achievements and unlocks automatically.

Also, if you want to lock down scenario spoilers and you can't stop yourself from glancing ahead on a page, this app lets you reveal scenario info bit by bit:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.roygon.Gloomhaven_Scenario_Viewer&hl=en

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is this something I can play with just me and my wife or will we be missing a lot with just 2 players?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

OgreNoah posted:

I'm really looking forward to upgrading the Shield 1 for the whole game to Shield 2 card for that class. I'm not sure what else to upgrade at the moment.

Oh yeah, I got that upgrade. It's so good. Combined with other shield moves and items I basically take no damage ever, unless a roomful of monsters gangs up on me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Womyn Capote posted:

Is this something I can play with just me and my wife or will we be missing a lot with just 2 players?

It plays perfectly fine at two players, the scaling is really well-done.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So based on current news, all those copies that retailers sold as preorders and expected in November aren't going to see the light of day until like Jan/Feb at the earliest, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Womyn Capote posted:

Works great. Also drop in drop out for different scenarios works great as well.

Had a great game last night, I was try to (battle goal) Stay under 7 xp for doublecheckmark So I as mindthief rushed into the last 2 elites and burned some great cards to get them to both to a couple HP each tanked myself to death over the round. Also I did a loot 2 and picked up 6 gold and a chest! Rest of the party strolled in and poked them to death.

It can be cool/good to go down in a blaze of glory.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 28, 2017