Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Just wait for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd argue in favour of Attila but that's more because I like the time period better than Rome 2. Warhammer is the most playable, buy for me Attila finds the best balance between late game challenge, hyper lethal combat and adequate UI.

Shame about the brown filter and burlap sack clothing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
You can buy a Rome 2 steam cdkey from some key selling websites for like $25, definitely worth it if you like the time period.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Unmodded Warhammer is the only one to have meaningful buildings progression in a way that higher tiers are worthy upgrades. Even DEI has this "let's expand this mine/market/fishery/whatever for extra 30% output, but it'll use 100% more food and/or make everyone in the province miserable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

alex314 posted:

Unmodded Warhammer is the only one to have meaningful buildings progression in a way that higher tiers are worthy upgrades. Even DEI has this "let's expand this mine/market/fishery/whatever for extra 30% output, but it'll use 100% more food and/or make everyone in the province miserable.

They’re still worth building, imo it’s way more interesting that way than in warhammer where by mid game I’m rolling in dough and just monotously waiting for growth and then clicking “build” over and over. You just make 1-2 recruiting provinces and then every other province is an identical money factory.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nice thing about dei is that there's a decent array of maintained submods to tweak how grog you want it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, I've got battle speed for my liking, and went overboard with TPY. I'm at the end of a great campaign and noone of my generals died of old age. I haven't touched the building ones yet, will leave it for the next playthrough.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Verus posted:

I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2, which I kind of disliked because everything felt repetitive and simplistic. I wanted to get Rome 2, but as I recall the release was really freaking bad. Has everything been fixed with Rome 2, and is it worth 60 dollars? Or am I better off with one of the Warhammer ones or Attila?

Use the Enhanced Steam extension, or the website IsThereAnyDeal to find out where all the sales for Steam games are. Right now you can get Rome 2 for $13.85 at WinGameStore (I've bought from there before and it was fine) and there's often coupons you can layer on top of that The all-time lowest price was $8.66.

https://isthereanydeal.com/
http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

That being said, it looks like virtually every other Total War is getting a Black Friday treatment on Steam right now, so maybe pick up Warhammer instead since everyone loves it.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 24, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love the announced setting and I hope they renew their mechanics quite a bit, which I think the smaller geography and more similar cultures will allow. I'd like to see seasons used more for instance, campaigning in the summer with a good deal of movement possible but wintering somewhere comfy very important to army condition. And perhaps more fluid clans, families and lords with changing loyalties instead of the very atomic rock-paper-scissor faction system of past versions. That makes for a more interesting game for history buffs, if not military history buffs who might like "sword people vs spear people" better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unit pathfinding improvements please.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What are the recommended DLCs for Attila and Rome 2? Right now I have none, and I'm not sure if it's a Paradox deal where the faction ones also add gameplay features for everyone. Also any consensus between Charlemagne or the Last Roman?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My recommendations: Buy whatever faction pack interests you.

Rome 2:
Caesar in Gaul - Fun mini-campaign that is short enough to offer a challenge but doesn't wear out its welcome when you're steamrolling everyone near the end. Also has seasons built in and 4 turns per year, pretty nice.
Hannibal at the Gates - Rome vs. Carthage deathmatch. I really like these mini campaigns.
I haven't played Wrath of Sparta but IMO the Greek states are probably the most boring factions in Rome 2 to play as. It's Spear Dudes: The Movie

Attila:
Age of Charlemagne is fantastic. It's an overhaul with completely different buildings, units, and regional borders. Plays much more like a traditional total war campaign compared to Attila base game, paint the map and achieve the win condition.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So is the latest Expansion any good? Could fire Rome 2 back up if it’s worth a play, Arena has me in the mood for old fashioned Spears and Swords

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fuligin posted:

What are the recommended DLCs for Attila and Rome 2? Right now I have none, and I'm not sure if it's a Paradox deal where the faction ones also add gameplay features for everyone. Also any consensus between Charlemagne or the Last Roman?

Nah, you don't need any of the DLCs unless you specifically want to play one of the associated factions/campaigns. IIRC, even if you don't have the DLCs those factions and their unique stuff will still exist for the AI. Only universal thing is the blood DLC.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fans posted:

So is the latest Expansion any good? Could fire Rome 2 back up if it’s worth a play, Arena has me in the mood for old fashioned Spears and Swords

it's not out yet, ask again in a week :v:

reviews seem to be on the "meh" side so far though, but from what I've read I think people are comparing it a bit unfairly to Warhammer. It's definitely gonna feel like a DLC for 2013's Rome 2 rather than a brand new 2017 Total War release though, it seems like.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Koramei posted:

it's not out yet, ask again in a week :v:

reviews seem to be on the "meh" side so far though, but from what I've read I think people are comparing it a bit unfairly to Warhammer. It's definitely gonna feel like a DLC for 2013's Rome 2 rather than a brand new 2017 Total War release though, it seems like.

The problem I see from all the preview campaigns is that it's too close to the IA game. You could almost move Lepidus to Syria from that Campaign and get a fairly similar conflict from the Rome perspective. The units are different for the time period, but basically the same layout as you see in IA and from Attila so nothing all that new there.

Really the only interesting part about the DLC is addition of religion to the culture battle but I can't imagine a lot of people will see that as anything more than another factor of Public Order and Culture Conversion.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I can't see too many more of these Empire Divided DLC playthroughs lasting. Most of them are like "Yay UI, Yay politics" but the rest of the time they're just like "I forgot how poo poo the battles look."

I like Rome 2, and I'm impressed with how much they improved it, but it's still pretty deeply flawed.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 26, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They seem a lot more interesting than warhammer to be fair,

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

How does is feel to be so profoundly wrong?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pendent posted:

How does is feel to be so profoundly wrong?

I don't know never felt that way.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A DLC for a game called Rome Total War has a lot of Romans in it, as such it's getting less positive reviews.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CharlestheHammer posted:

CA hasn't made an interesting roster of units with varied roles since shogun 2.

They just sink into the trap of bad-better-best type units.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IMO Warhammer is better at that than other non-Shogun games. while it still has a hierarchy of troops it's generally a little more diverse than R2/Attilla and getting access to new troops feels like an actual shakeup in strategy rather than just better axemen

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm thinking about playing Shogun 2 again after years and years since last time. Any must have mods? My main niggles back in the day were that alliances and vassels were so unreliable and the battle AI being very stupid. Any mods for stuff like that or other things? Preferably not huge conversion mods or stuff with new units.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I haven't used any mod in S2, pretty much the only TW title I've played that IMHO doesn't need one. I've installed some additional unit mod for FotS campaign, I wouldn't call them necessary though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I'm thinking about playing Shogun 2 again after years and years since last time. Any must have mods? My main niggles back in the day were that alliances and vassels were so unreliable and the battle AI being very stupid. Any mods for stuff like that or other things? Preferably not huge conversion mods or stuff with new units.

-3 skill points per general level
-3 skill points per agent level (maybe)

There is a mod that makes diplomacy easier that just gives you a +20/40 boost to diplomatic relations, it actually does help if you're proactive about making allies (And avoiding conflicts of interest)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

-3 skill points per general level
-3 skill points per agent level (maybe)

There is a mod that makes diplomacy easier that just gives you a +20/40 boost to diplomatic relations, it actually does help if you're proactive about making allies (And avoiding conflicts of interest)

Doesn't that give you -1 skill point per level? :psyduck:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm incredibly pumped for the expansion as the UI was one of my biggest gripes at release, so I'll take that along with the other changes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, the Nihon Maru is extremely bad, haha. At least when i try to use it for boarding, maybe it's more effective as a ranged platform cause of it's height.

Finally old/experienced enough to use ninja troops well at least. My retarded younger self only brought like 1 unit everywhere and wondered "UGH WHY ARENT THE NINJAS SOLOING EVERYTHING, THEY ARE NINJAS". Turns out the trick is to bring more of them. Running around with 4 in my army now and you can really do some fun stuff then like utterly collapsing the front-line or sneakily take the top tier fortress layer by stealthing up there and quickly grabbing the victory point and control over all gates. Probably not the most cost effective unit, but i like to do fun gimmics.

Edit: Can you pack up your bags, abandon your capital and set up shop on the other side of Japan in Shogun 2? It's something i did a few times with Vampire Counts in Warhammer and i'm thinking about taking the Hattori to the western edge next game and live there instead of the perpetual thunderdome that is the center.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 28, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You can, it's the strat for the Ikko Ikki even. Unlike Warhams capital provinces aren't anything special in Shogun 2, either.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Doesn't that give you -1 skill point per level? :psyduck:

Har har don't shame my listmaking skills

I thought I had more mods to recommend but they're all for FotS

Dongattack posted:

Man, the Nihon Maru is extremely bad, haha. At least when i try to use it for boarding, maybe it's more effective as a ranged platform cause of it's height.

Edit: Can you pack up your bags, abandon your capital and set up shop on the other side of Japan in Shogun 2? It's something i did a few times with Vampire Counts in Warhammer and i'm thinking about taking the Hattori to the western edge next game and live there instead of the perpetual thunderdome that is the center.

I don't understand Shogun 2 ships at all, the damage you take/do is dependent on the little guys positioning on the ship itself, which you don't control. No clue what the deal is.

You can migrate if you want but I feel like Shogun 2's factions blob up a lot faster so you'd just end up pissing off the local neighbours in a different forever war.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't understand Shogun 2 ships at all, the damage you take/do is dependent on the little guys positioning on the ship itself, which you don't control. No clue what the deal is.

Morale hits are a big deal in Shogun 2 naval combat. Load up as many negative modifiers on a single ship as possible and watch them chain rout. If that fails, light them on fire. Any other sort of combat is super risky, or you're using cannon.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is this thread for Rome2 now, I honestly lost track.
Anyway you can grab your pick of one free R2 dlc here https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home
I had only Black Sea Colonies missing from that huge Sega rts humblebundle, otherwise choose Wrath of Sparta.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Is this thread for Rome2 now, I honestly lost track.
Anyway you can grab your pick of one free R2 dlc here https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home
I had only Black Sea Colonies missing from that huge Sega rts humblebundle, otherwise choose Wrath of Sparta.

Thanks! This is great, I look forward to playing Wrath of Sparta.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Honestly, the Shogun naval combat is pretty simple.

1. Convert to Christianity
2. Acquire Nanban trade ships
3. Kill everything

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

3. Kill everything

I've made two easier guides, actually.

1) don't

Or if you must...

1) find whatever has the highest autoresolve score
2) spam it

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Guide to Fall of the Samurai naval combat:

1) Be an Imperial faction
2) Side with British
3) Purchase HMS Warrior
4) RULE BRITANNIA, BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES

I never even hosed with base Shogun 2's naval combat, poo poo ain't worth it

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

disjoe posted:

naval combat ain't worth it

Cut out all the unnecessary words for you.

The best thing about FotS naval combat is that you can spam the speed up ability until all your ships explode if you accidentally hit the "fight battle" button.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ninjahedgehog posted:

3. Kill everything

I had a game once were pirates somehow grabbed the Blackship. Naval battles got really fun once I got it from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
HMS Warrior with a screen of a zillion torpedo boats is just lovely.

My armor is my speed! And also my regular armor. It is both of those things.