Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also divorce is the founding principle of the Church of England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The important question for us is who is going to play Meghan Markle in season 6 of The Crown

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/935098939522633729

Wallis Simpson was also a NAZI SYMPATHIZER DURING WWII but twas the divorce that sullied her.

That should be on Gourmet Hot Takes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanderdeath posted:

Utena was a silly show about a really pretty guy and his cool-rear end car imo.

please don't kill me i love utena

Akio doeshave a really bitchin' car, I'll let it slide!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra posted:

Akio doeshave a really bitchin' car, I'll let it slide!!
Also his dad is Ranma.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Wallis Simpson was also a NAZI SYMPATHIZER DURING WWII but twas the divorce that sullied her.

It's dreadfully uncharitable of me, but given that it's the Spectator, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if someone on their staff has a final draft of an "It is UNACCEPTABLE for Prince Harry to marry a BLACK woman" article hidden away someplace in their hard drive.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
JK Simmons monologue in the 2nd episode of "No Activity"...oh my god.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what's no activity *googles* oh man do you guys know if you can die from too much tv

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Escobarbarian posted:

what's no activity *googles* oh man do you guys know if you can die from too much tv

But you'll die happy.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I started watching Winona Earp on Netflix and the first episode has to be a fluke, right? No TV show can have such bad acting, right?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wynonna Earp isn't great, but it's drat fun and continues the fine tradition of decent Canadian sci fi/genre shows havin' gay af ladies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wynonna Earp's pilot is pretty bad. I love that dumb show, though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It and Van Helsing are a lot of fun, but yeah neither of them start too well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't even make it past the first episode of Van Helsing. That poo poo put me to sleep.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can't decide whether WE's second season is legit better or if I'm just gotten used to it.

Still fun entertainment.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Killjoys is the vastly superior canadian genre show.

What we really need is the aussies to get back in the game. With puppets, of course.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

suddenlyissoon posted:

Hadn't heard of the show before so looked it up... found a 2015 Australian show first. I presume the CBS one is a remake/localization? Either/both worth a watch then?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

esperterra posted:

I don't know if I would call Van Helsing "fun" exactly. Especially after what has been happening this season killing off Vanessa's daughter like that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hadn't heard of the show before so looked it up... found a 2015 Australian show first. I presume the CBS one is a remake/localization? Either/both worth a watch then?

It's a remake for CBS All Access, and it's the only thing that makes me want to try it. Are they running it weekly? If they're offering a free month I might just use it to binge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if I would call Van Helsing "fun" exactly. Especially after what has been happening this season killing off Vanessa's daughter like that.

Yeah, calling Van Helsing fun makes me really question what people's definition of fun is.

I like the show, but it makes me very worried for Simon Barry's state of mind.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not knocking the show but I legitimately would worry about anyone who told me Van Helsing was "fun."

Wynonna Earp on the other hand is kind of fun, but it starts off really, really rocky. And that pilot is BAD.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wynonna Earp is a lot like Buffy, but updated. I like it because it's funny and the characters have good chemistry. The storylines are... loving bizarre, honestly.

I guess it's kind of a like a cross between Buffy and Sleepy Hollow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fwiw I haven't watched any of season two yet, but I doubt dramatic deaths or misery will stop my ridiculous vampire apocalypse show from being fun to watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

It's a remake for CBS All Access, and it's the only thing that makes me want to try it. Are they running it weekly? If they're offering a free month I might just use it to binge.

Yeah it’s weekly. Watching the first episode now and it’s fun so far. Lots of cool people in it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How's Frontier? Season 2 dropped on Netflix today

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Their own category of suck, maybe. E: I guess Coneheads was okay too.

Wayne's World is goddam amazing and is a piece of comic genius.

Fight Me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

How's Frontier? Season 2 dropped on Netflix today

I thought it was awful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

suddenlyissoon posted:

Until that moment I was convinced that Amy Sedaris was going to steal every episode because everything about her character is amazing. But then he says that. And then episode three happens and... welp.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I now feel like I need to watch the first episode of both versions. I usually find I prefer the remakes of Ozzie stuff, as they’re usually not as good as their potential when they’re not just thieving British shows. Unless The Chaser is involved, of course.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I now feel like I need to watch the first episode of both versions. I usually find I prefer the remakes of Ozzie stuff, as they’re usually not as good as their potential when they’re not just thieving British shows. Unless The Chaser is involved, of course.

I watched the first episode of the original and while it has a lot of the same beats, the lead actor stars in both versions and wrote the remake, there are enough differences with the jokes that it was an enjoyable watch. I still think I'd rather finish out the remake first before watching anymore of the original since I'm farther into it and like the cast much better.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

IRQ posted:

Killjoys is the vastly superior canadian genre show.

What we really need is the aussies to get back in the game. With puppets, of course.

Killjoys is so much better than it has any right to be. I went in thinking it'd be stupid, but it's really fun, has good characterization, and although basically nothing it's doing hasn't been done elsewhere, it does those things well. It's like a really great cover album. and I've only seen the first season and parts of the second! it seemed to be on an upward arc in terms of quality, having laid the groundwork in terms of setting and characterization.
There should be more pulp sci-fi TV shows.

Also, unrelated, Iron Fist is better than its reputation. Don't get me wrong, it can't hold a candle to even Luke Cage in terms of Marvel Netflix shows, but the hate it got from some quarters seems to me to be based on it not being what people wanted, and rejecting the story it was telling off the bat without giving it a chance.
You see, the show does know that Danny Rand is an idiot. Iron Fist is the story of a purehearted hero who is continually gaslighted and manipulated by awful people who play on his good intentions for their own ends. The show also knows Danny is in a state of arrested development, and he acts childishly because in a lot of ways, he still is a kid.
I do think the pacing, plotting, writing, and in particular the cinematography were weaker than they ought to have been, but Finn Jones was PERFECTLY CAST FOR THE ROLE AS WRITTEN, and played it exactly as intended.
When you watch Iron Fist as if it's really called "Danny Rand, Idiot Hero, Makes Everything Worse", the show is pretty fun.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 28, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Godless is extremely my poo poo. However it seems every single actor that isn’t Sam Waterston or Jeff Daniels is English.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Van Helsing the exact opposite of fun

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

I couldn't even make it past the first episode of Van Helsing. That poo poo put me to sleep.

I feel like this is like, historically notable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just looked up No Activity and uh yeah gonna have to legally watch that poo poo right the drat now

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

esperterra posted:

Dat Godless finale tho

zoux posted:

Godless is extremely my poo poo. However it seems every single actor that isn’t Sam Waterston or Jeff Daniels is English.

I wish I could see the show you did. Because man basically right after I wrote that I was enjoying it (episode 4-ish?) it all started going to poo poo. The characters stopped being worth caring about, all the interesting ideas were either ignored or dealt with poorly, the sexual violence is just gratuitous, the hilarious Pinkerton scene is disturbing where it isn't lame and there's a freakin' magical wise ghost Indian. Also the kid's a weak actor, which sucks when he's got such a pivotal role.

At least Merritt Wever was great.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

whowhatwhere posted:

I wish I could see the show you did. Because man basically right after I wrote that I was enjoying it (episode 4-ish?) it all started going to poo poo. The characters stopped being worth caring about, all the interesting ideas were either ignored or dealt with poorly, the sexual violence is just gratuitous, the hilarious Pinkerton scene is disturbing where it isn't lame and there's a freakin' magical wise ghost Indian. Also the kid's a weak actor, which sucks when he's got such a pivotal role.

At least Merritt Wever was great.

I just started and this is disheartening, I though episode 1 was great with some decent cinematography, especially in the church, where Jeff Bridges is on his horse and his head blocks the light through the window so that the cross appears inverted. I'll probably finish it up anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was invested the whole way through so ymmv.

e: also, gratuitous sexual violence? I can think of two rapes actually shown and the first was tame as hell compared to most prestige drama, and in both instances the rapers got fuckin murdered.

Maybe I missed some other one, but for a TV-MA rated western I found it pretty restrained when it came to sex and sexual violence.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 28, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I just started and this is disheartening, I though episode 1 was great with some decent cinematography, especially in the church, where Jeff Bridges is on his horse and his head blocks the light through the window so that the cross appears inverted. I'll probably finish it up anyway.

It's getting decent reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay yeah No Activity is fuckin' brilliant already and JK Simmons hasn't even shown up. The bit with Mantzoukas and Plemens debating the effectiveness of doing "crazy guy" was inspired.

• Locked thread