Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dareon posted:

Oh my god, the new staff bullshit is worse than the old staff bullshit. I'm sure eventually I'll get used to it, but right now it's an endless parade of aggravation as the game bugs me that my autonomous money-makers have all decided to go take a piss at once. I bought this game so I could build roller coasters, not micromanage a dozen drooling idiots that forget to eat.

I wasn't even used to the OLD staff bullshit, I'd just wait for angry idiots to quit and hire new ones who'd work for less.

...Hans, are we the bad guys?

No, you're not the badguys. The Badguys would not have put up with staff complaining they are not trained enough, paying for their max 5 star training, and then watching them quit because "I'm bored because I'm overtrained now" before their complaint about being undertrained even goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Who decided that "overtraining" should be a thing? How does that add to the gameplay at all?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, overtraining should be a reward for having enough cash to drop on them. I don't think they even bitched about being bored in RCT3.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My preference for ~realism~ things, if that's necessary, would be that rather than assigning employees to specific things, you have an employee pool split into categories (e.g. snack food/restaurants/security/coaster maintenance/thrill ride maintenance/etc), highest-level employees automatically get assigned to things, employees get automatically trained over time, and each employee has some randomized chance to quit eventually regardless of skill level (with some room for 0% chances to account for theme park staff grandmas) and a randomized chance to spend half the time (in large alternating blocks) not working, to represent summer/part-time work.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Roadie posted:

My preference for ~realism~ things, if that's necessary, would be that rather than assigning employees to specific things, you have an employee pool split into categories (e.g. snack food/restaurants/security/coaster maintenance/thrill ride maintenance/etc), highest-level employees automatically get assigned to things, employees get automatically trained over time, and each employee has some randomized chance to quit eventually regardless of skill level (with some room for 0% chances to account for theme park staff grandmas) and a randomized chance to spend half the time (in large alternating blocks) not working, to represent summer/part-time work.

I admit my hang ups when I was actively playing this are more everything working in a sane manner regardless of realistic or video game make believe logic. Outside of these forums I'm more used to people asking for "Realistic" to just be swinging the word around to make their armchair comments sound like the mean something, for all video games.

Older images, but I took a peek a little while back and this still goes on. Even gargantuan paths aren't enough to keep customers from spilling over the edge. Then you got stuff like the busted Rocktopus pathing I got a prompt "Well that's no good, we'll have to fix that!" bug rep response back at launch still broken. Comments like "Use realistic amounts of sidewalks if you have customer congestion :smug: " always get realism thrown under the bus in favor of bragging about challenge mode profits or whatever the next goal post is. While ignoring the fact even if their ride stats claim a profit, that still leaves customers trapped in line (then on the ride itself) for multiple in game day/night cycles not spending anything while taking up your population count.

It's still easy to turn a profit by fiddling with the sliders, even with the default rocktopus in the first pirate mission forcing people to walk 99% around the ride to board/exit because they won't walk past the control booth (last I checked about a month? ago). Which is why most people don't notice these bugs in full display even in the tutorial mission, and I guess why to this day poo poo like that is left broken while doubling down on employee based failure spirals for their "depth".

Because you can still "Win" and make stuff look pretty, even when the functionality of your rides and customer brains fall down an open manhole cover.

TL;DR: I'd like them to ever get around to fixing the rides that are secretly Mister Bone's wild ride or otherwise have as old as launch pathing gently caress ups, before they double down on employee based failure spirals.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 25, 2017

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Dareon posted:

Oh my god, the new staff bullshit is worse than the old staff bullshit. I'm sure eventually I'll get used to it, but right now it's an endless parade of aggravation as the game bugs me that my autonomous money-makers have all decided to go take a piss at once. I bought this game so I could build roller coasters, not micromanage a dozen drooling idiots that forget to eat.

I wasn't even used to the OLD staff bullshit, I'd just wait for angry idiots to quit and hire new ones who'd work for less.

...Hans, are we the bad guys?

Some people complained that the management parts of the game were way to shallow, and someone sadly listened.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Is the business/management side of Parkitect fun yet?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Is the business/management side of Parkitect fun yet?

Better than Planet Coaster probably, but it still doesn't go too far beyond the RCT formula. Its the usual tycoon formula, start out dirt poor, struggle for a bit, then the money snowball starts rolling and you've got more cash than you know what to do with. Current lack of a career/campaign series with clearly defined goals beyond "make a park!" might be the biggest blow to the "management" side I guess. The campaign is in development though and due within a few months.

The biggest change is that there is logistics for your shops. Hauler workers need to actually take supplies to shops, and, with the Alpha 19 update, guests don't like seeing workers hauling boxes around (it breaks immersion) so you have to set up back stage areas and underground/hidden employee paths (this can include conveyor belts that can bring supplies to depots your workers can pull from instead of walking them all the way from Shipping & Receiving). Workers also get tired and need to go rest at break rooms and just like hauled goods, guests don't like seeing break rooms, so its best to hide them inside buildings, behind trees, or in backstage areas. Workers don't have morale, need raises or quit of their own free will, but the Beta 1 update coming in a week or so will introduce staff training levels and a staff training room, freshly hired workers will get tired faster and work slower than current alpha 19 ones, but veteran workers will work faster and have better endurance than current workers.

I'm not sure if you'd consider it "management" as well, but as I mentioned above the Alpha 19 update introduced a scenery/immersion rating for peeps that requires consideration when building your park. At a minimum effort for those uninterested in extensive decorating, it is mostly just making sure that "behind the scenes" stuff is kept behind the scenes. For example, there is a break room and supply depot in the back of this store building, if I knock out the walls and archway (door wall pieces still block line of sight) the staff stuff becomes visible from the pathway and hurts scenery rating in the area.

https://i.imgur.com/qjXUpAk.mp4
(Surprisingly this hasn't really effected performance at all since it does not calculate this stuff in real time. It only recalculates things when you make changes and only calculates for path squares and each segment of ride track)

I posted this earlier but scenery also has a nice impact on ride stats. Planet coaster does this too to some extent, but Parkitect does actual Line of Sight calculations rather than just having scenery objects radiate an aura of "decoration" that doesn't care about barriers and stuff (Hence people burying a bunch of random tiny scenery objects below their queues/rides to obtain max scenery ratings).

3 identical rides, bare tracked, light decoration, heavy decoration

Worker management and logistics aside things are mostly RCT level (research, advertising, etc). I guess one other difference is occasionally your park will have little random events like a viral social media post making a ride extra popular, or a shortage in potatoes resulting in no supplies for your fries shops, or busload of peeps suddenly showing up. They're all pretty minor and mostly ignorable.

A few months back someone on the Parkitect Discord was trying out how well admission only free rides worked and made a series of albums charting his progress: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The Beta 1 update coming soon will also add in steam workshop support for mods (Custom scenery/path objects only to start) and they just released official mod tools a couple weeks ago. Overall the game is just quietly puttering a long, somewhat in Planet Coaster's shadow with a small but modestly active community still playing.

I hope that helps, I never quite understand what people want when they say they want more management stuff, anything I can think of seems like it'd just end up as tedious BS like what Planet Coaster has in a few spots with the staff.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 25, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I'm sure many want maximum arbitrary limitations and failure conditions as possible? Because they only measure worth in hurdles count.

I figure the miracle sweet spot of "Management" most people would want is "Enough that caring matters/helps, but not making the game more about babysitting meters to avoid failure spirals."

Also with a good UI rather than patching in something as basic as ride on/off toggles in the management menu after launch. Along with avoiding stuff like refusing to let Janitor routes select trash barrels, so I gotta build mascot points as impromptu waypoints and built giant lamp posts by every trash barrel so I can find them again when the game goes "Hey, you have a trash problem!... Nah we're not going to tell you where, just eyeball that poo poo I guess." Along with ride flow/boarding and exiting logic and customer pathing not ranging from "Pretty good" to "Wildly absurd".

I shouldn't be looking at Parkitect, work in progress that it is, and have to think to myself "Oh, thank GOD they are working on Janitor routing improvements to actually deal with side paths without brute forcing it. Wow, your monorail shuttle will in fact come with a shuttle mode." Compared to it's modern peers.

So stuff like needing to keep the mascot changing out of sight so the kids don't see headless Parkitect Paul the Parakeet during his lunch break sounds good. Tiny kid me would have appreciated that. Stuff like trained employees working better and needing less lunch breaks, but not having to worry about them ragequitting in maximum micromanagement sounds good. Underground burger convener belts sound hilarious.

Compare, loading up a sandbox map from the Steam workshop, and watching half the staff in your park ragequit from boredom before the first guests can even reach them or toss trash on the ground. Overpaid 200 dollars an hour in sandbox mode janitors can't live with themselves if people don't drop trash in front of them withing five minutes :v:

Basically, if your staff logic would completely destroy the game if it applied to ticket takers and ride operators, you probably didn't make a good management system.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Section Z posted:

Basically, if your staff logic would completely destroy the game if it applied to ticket takers and ride operators, you probably didn't make a good management system.

The danger to saying this is that next update we might see staff management apply to ticket takers and ride operators.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

64bitrobot posted:

The danger to saying this is that next update we might see staff management apply to ticket takers and ride operators.
Oh I am well aware of this fact, but I don't think they would ever have the balls to do it. At least, not until they are about to launch a sequel.

It would cross too obvious a threshold to try and play off as "Working as intended, great depth amiright?". That and the overworked bugreports intern is probably the same guy they pull out every so often to pull Elite Dangerous's "background simulation" lever, he'd die.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(big effort post)

Wow, man. Thank you, that is basically exactly the assessment I was looking for. Gonna pick this up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, sometimes I think I just don't have the creativity for these games. I spent 2ish hours this evening poking at Parkitect in the scenario editor and in the end I have...

The basic shape of an entrance building, still desperately in need of some detailing. :downs:

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Wow, man. Thank you, that is basically exactly the assessment I was looking for. Gonna pick this up.

You're welcome!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, sometimes I think I just don't have the creativity for these games. I spent 2ish hours this evening poking at Parkitect in the scenario editor and in the end I have...

The basic shape of an entrance building, still desperately in need of some detailing. :downs:

That's really nice! It's not a race, I think that's lovely.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

RagnarokZ posted:

Some people complained that the management parts of the game were way to shallow, and someone sadly listened.

Ah yes Frontier’s gonna Frontier :discourse:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe it'll have actual management, unlike a Frontier game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/591460/Parkasaurus/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There appears to be a dinosaur loose in the parking lot. Also, those colors are super garish.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
That bright sand(?) is really begging for some beach theming and surfing dinosaurs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Parkitect Beta 1 came out today :toot:

http://themeparkitect.tumblr.com/post/168090383627/devlog-update-173-beta-1

The sound rework is great. All the game needs now is the campaign, reverse launch/shuttle coasters, and more/updated mods on the workshop and I'll be happy.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm enjoying Planet Coaster's scenario editor. Just taking my time, lovingly crafting an abandoned desert boom town with a 1950s diner, a shuttered boardwalk (The shutters are a separate building so they can just sell that and have all the shopfronts open) and a few janky RVs parked here and there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Please link it when you get it on the workshop. It's a little barren for good scenario landscapes for the time being.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Here you go, it's still got a lot of flat land, but I'm happy with what I put in. I may update it later to add some crappy abandoned concrete box stores and tumbledown shacks if I get an idea for how to do them without going full Silvarret. Like, I know I can do amazing things by combining several hundred unrelated props, I just don't want to melt my computer in the process.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I really wish the Scenario Editor update would've given us even larger Terrain modification tools. It takes forever to make terrain look organic using 30m circles one at a time.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Parkitect Beta 1 came out today :toot:

http://themeparkitect.tumblr.com/post/168090383627/devlog-update-173-beta-1

The sound rework is great. All the game needs now is the campaign, reverse launch/shuttle coasters, and more/updated mods on the workshop and I'll be happy.

it needs to not crash all the time i think that would be good

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Works fine for me. :( Try popping into the Parkitect discord and tossing an @ to Sebioff, he is the lead dev and pretty responsive to people having trouble.

If you're using old mods try disabling those first.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you want to throw some more money at Planet Coaster for more stuff you can't figure out how to use. They are releasing an "Adventure" pack DLC on the 19th. .

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So many of my coasters end up as ruined temples or general indiana jones-ery I think this will be an easy sale.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Works fine for me. :( Try popping into the Parkitect discord and tossing an @ to Sebioff, he is the lead dev and pretty responsive to people having trouble.

If you're using old mods try disabling those first.

i bought it, installed it, and tried to build a eurofighter which crashed 6 times in an hour so i refunded it

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Adventure Pack is live for Planet Coaster! Haven't bought it yet but the trailer makes it look neat, especially the new water features. Seems to be a fair few animals which is cool.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBgnYnMdgI

quote:

Hope you’re ready to explore, because our new Planet Coaster Adventure Pack is now LIVE!

There’s so many awesome new things for you to uncover: we’ve got three new rides, two new hats for your avatars, a new heroine called Renee Feu, and over 320 scenery items including animated items, special effects, scenery items and path extras! There’s also over 70 building pieces including wall pieces, temple blocks, and gold pieces. As if that’s not enough, there’s loads of animatronics like crocodiles, scorpions, and mummies, 40 jungle-themed foliage pieces, special effects like lava panels and waterfalls, statues, and new audio!

You can get the Adventure Pack for £7.99 on the Steam or Frontier store now. Please keep in mind that it’s completely optional for you to purchase; we’re very thankful for all your support!

See the Update 1.5 (Adventure) notes below; aside from the Adventure Pack content, the team have also released a free update with some quality of life and UI improvements.

Update Notes
  • Gold Fever - The Gold Fever is a family ride that’s themed around the gold mine carts used to plunder the rich mountains of South America. The cars' theme is ideal for creating a coaster that rushes through underground caves and tombs, dodging perilous traps, mummies and lava pits! The coaster's unique feature is its upright swinging car which pivots from a frame mounted to car chassis, this allows the car to swing side to side as it races round the track
  • Island Adventure - inspired by the old steamers used to explore the rivers in newly discovered lands in the 1930s. The Boat is a high capacity, water based transport ride that is totally unique as it’s designed to designed to work on large bodies of water and to create water channels as you tunnel your way through the landscape. It is perfect for transport but also doubles up as an amazing tour boat or dark ride. The boats are meticulously detailed and each craft has their own unique captain
  • Land Ahoy - the little sister of Island Adventure but with the added benefit of not requiring a body of water to be built on as it has its very own custom channel that can be built above the ground or even sunk into the ground to create a man made channel
  • Crocodile Hat - for avatars and can be sold in the Hat's Fantastic shop
  • Rock Hat - for avatars and can be sold in the Hat's Fantastic shop
  • Renee Feu - the adventuring heroine
  • 75 building items - with 23 gold variants
  • 323 scenery items - with 56 gold variants. Also including path extras, 40 foliage items, 46 statue items and 33 animatronic objects for a total of 77 different animations
  • 18 scenery blueprints
  • A host of new audio - including 6 music tracks, 27 placeable ambiences and 33 triggerable SFX including ‘Tour Guide’ Voiceover intended for the Boat Rides

Coaster and Tracked Ride Blueprints
  • Lay The Land - Land Ahoy Track Ride blueprint
  • Pyramid of the Serpent - Gold Fever Coaster blueprint
New Scenery
  • Added a new content pack filter for Adventure to the Scenery and Building browsers
  • Added Vista Points; guests will have a general need to visit these points, which builds up over time and gives them a little happiness boost from doing so. Guests with the Sightseer trait will have this need increased more quickly.
UI
  • Added the ability to rename items sold in shops
  • Added a picnic bench sub-category to the path extras scenery category
  • Added a 1m option to building grid size

Scenery Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the staff building model is off centre

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I kind of wish the packs did add a few more example rides. There is one for the river boat, which curiously can't be tested only opened or closed.
With the mine cart coaster you have to hunt around for as typing in "gold mine" brings up nothing as it's really called "swinging mine train".

Be cool if they released that park shown in the trailer as a bit of a in-game showcase that you can pick apart.

But it's awesome having swinging boulders and stuff to put into rides.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Id really like if they added generic animatronic platforms to this game, ie the tracks that the spooky pack ghosts move on, but with just a pole you can “attach” any scenery item to

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WebDog posted:

There is one for the river boat, which curiously can't be tested only opened or closed.

That's because it's technically a transport ride, they just only have the one station on it. And really, what's to test? Yup, boats go in a circle. She's good!

Definitely grabbing this, might take the opportunity to grab the spooky pack, too, it just didn't grab me.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Oh right. Well I guess to test out triggers and so on. Turns out that when opened a boat will still go around empty so that's a sort of work around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea it's a nice DLC pack. Lots of new objects to stare at and wonder, "How the gently caress am I going to use these?"

The coaster is pretty cool though since it's right out of a few Disney parks.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Should I get RCT3 or PC on the Steam Sale?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mystic Stylez posted:

yes

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want to make rad-looking parks with a ton of scenery tools, PC is the better choice. The building tools are great, and there are a lot of modern UI elements that add a lot of quality of life over a decade+ old game.

If you're more interested in the park management game aspect, RCT3 probably still does this better. PC still hasn't nailed down a good balance between staff needs, crime, income, etc.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

If you're more interested in the park management game aspect, RCT3 probably still does this better. PC still hasn't nailed down a good balance between staff needs, crime, income, etc.
And shuttle modes on transports! Granted in it's current state it will look silly as they'd have to change locomotives to have a train facing both ways.