Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Angrymantium posted:

More of TWWI question, but it applies to all elven factions: what exactly are chaos supposed to do against them? Wood Elves will annihilate your monsters before they get anywhere nesr them, and they're fast enough to kite all of your infantry. Dark elves have a tier one arnor piercing ranged unit too so it's not like you can just get up in their face without half of your army already dead.
I'm thinking about rolling arounf with a stack if nothing but chaos knights and hellcannons, but I'll probably go bankrupt just in time for Orion to hunt me down.

Dogs and marauder horses are your answer here, along with hefty abuse of how the AI reacts to flanking threats. If you flank your hounds and marauders and posture aggressively at the enemy ranged units, they will typically turn to fire on your flankers, who are fast enough to get out of range/fire arc before taking too much damage, forcing the enemy to continually turn to react. This means that your main line is free to approach basically uncontested, which is what you want because Chosen will simply mulch the gently caress out of literally anything if they make it to combat in good condition(and you can afford Chosen to be your line because your anti-ranged units are cheap garbage dogs and marauders).

Once your line engages you can simply ram your flankers into the now defenseless enemy ranged and clean up(with the exception of seaguard, who you should still avoid like the plague because they'll slaughter hounds and marauder horses in melee wholesale).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Are there any mods that similarly update followers and Lord traits the way that one mod updates the older lord skills to TW2 standards? That mod is fun but now my focus is on the followers and traits.

Dwarves got a few new of each but nothing fantastic. A lot of their followers are situational right now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

toasterwarrior posted:

Update on the climate mod: strangely enough, Nordland has now essentially turned Grung Zint and (my) Marienburg into a rebel farm, simply by keeping a bigass stack there. Every factor combining together to result in my usual strategy of making the act of keeping a stack on the mouth of the Reik to ward off Norscans profitable is pretty funny.

I have seen factions claim the occasional red settlement, only to lose them in short order to rebels or enemy action since doing so fucks them with a -100% replenishment penalty, It seems that we really do need definitive action from CA to sort this out, so here's hoping. As a bonus, Skyre is running a pain train on the Southern Realms, which blows my mind as this is the first time I've seen a Skaven clan really push their enemies' poo poo in.

Totally appreciate the trip report. The mod maker seemed a bit defensive when I reported that Fortress of Dawn got wrecked by his mod.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

They really need to make treasure hunting better. It's a neat idea in theory but the problem is that the rewards aren't good enough, you can just save scum to get the good result, and it's rare you'll find ruins to actually explore since the AI can settle anywhere and snaps them up.

It really has to be a hero action instead of one of your 15% upkeep lords, they already have a option to scout ruins to make sure skaven aren't around, just tack on treasure hunting to it if skaven aren't already in it.

Only way treasure hunting is worth it eating up all of your movement on a army costing you thousands per turn in extra upkeep is if you were passing by a ruin you don't want to settle with 5% movement left over.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just make the treasure outcome the same as poo poo in the ocean. I always send a dude out on a boat turn one because you instantly become rich.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So with the new ME update are there still any must have mods to balance the factions?

Or just anything to absolutely get besides the camera mod?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Or they could find other unique ways to make it worth it. Like if settlements themselves got traits, but to get the trait you had to scout the ruin then colonize it the next turn. The trait would be present until that settlement got captured.

The traits themselves could be relevant to the race scouting the ruins. So vampires could get a settlement that starts with bonus corruption, and other races could get pre built defense, military, support or economic buildings already present.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had to use a hex editor to fix the porthole settings which was fine except while I did that I typed def instead of hef on one line and broke all sorts of stuff.

I can't figure out ancillaries at all so Eltharion's probably going to be without his Fangsword (random drop weapons are more fun anyway) and maybe Stormwind (is life even worth living?)

The griffon works fine in custom battles but getting the right skill to ancillary to mount firing is... I dunno I'm not having much luck.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Panfilo posted:

Or they could find other unique ways to make it worth it. Like if settlements themselves got traits, but to get the trait you had to scout the ruin then colonize it the next turn. The trait would be present until that settlement got captured.

The traits themselves could be relevant to the race scouting the ruins. So vampires could get a settlement that starts with bonus corruption, and other races could get pre built defense, military, support or economic buildings already present.

Okay, yeah, that would be a pretty dope thing to have and give an actual reason to explore ruins.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Particularly landmark buildings common to multiple races. Wouldn't it make more sense that the Black Pyramid of Nagash or whatever is already there? That your agent or whoever was the one to point out its significance or an army unearthed it ahead of time?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Panfilo posted:

Particularly landmark buildings common to multiple races. Wouldn't it make more sense that the Black Pyramid of Nagash or whatever is already there? That your agent or whoever was the one to point out its significance or an army unearthed it ahead of time?

I've been meaning to ask, is the Black Pyramid ever worth building if you're not a VC?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been meaning to ask, is the Black Pyramid ever worth building if you're not a VC?

It would have to do something else once Tomb Kings are in surely.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That feeling when you get ambushed but your army is just Kroq-Gar, his 16 blessed sauruses and their revivification mascot so the disadvantageous deployment just save you a bunch of time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

You still get +3 lord and hero recruit rank and +30 magic and 10% magic resist to every force, you don't get the 2000 dark magic per turn as other races.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SirPhoebos posted:

It's probably worthwhile if you have the Momathi site that lets you ignore 90% of unfavorable corruption, otherwise the corruption penalty seems a bit much.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

I had to use a hex editor to fix the porthole settings which was fine except while I did that I typed def instead of hef on one line and broke all sorts of stuff.

I can't figure out ancillaries at all so Eltharion's probably going to be without his Fangsword (random drop weapons are more fun anyway) and maybe Stormwind (is life even worth living?)

The griffon works fine in custom battles but getting the right skill to ancillary to mount firing is... I dunno I'm not having much luck.

I've never looked at ancillary stuff but I would've thought they'd be pretty straightforward once you have the mount itself set up. Then again I never expected two separate tables just to set the ability to enable a skill.

Do you need to mess with the effects tables? I don't think you would but Idk

If the ancillaries stuff is about setting up the effect itself I know that pretty well.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 28, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ravenfood posted:

Still a net loss of one or two food per province (most of them anyway) and you take a hefty income hit to boot.

E:. I mean, you should still use it on most provinces, no question, but it won't solve everything.

Definitely use it on the poorer ones (i.e., max two settlements + major), but provinces with 3+ settlements can rake in some serious dough with Warpstone Reactors.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a list of all the special traits your lords and heroes can get as High Elves? I had a lot of fun putting one life mage with the talent that gave them +100 charge bonus on a horse, and later into a chariot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

I've never looked at ancillary stuff but I would've thought they'd be pretty straightforward once you have the mount itself set up. Then again I never expected two separate tables just to set the ability to enable a skill.

Do you need to mess with the effects tables? I don't think you would but Idk

There is an effect trigger involved in mounts, but I haven't had to understand it as I'm currently hijacking an imperial griffon rather than making a unique one.

It's pretty much working now. Invest in the 'give griffon' skill and you get the griffon mount option, and it even appears, walks around the campaign map and screams at Tyrion when he attacks. I messed something up with the rider, though, and he t-poses on the map and in battle (even though custom battles with ostensibly the same dude on the same mount work fine, Eltharion sits there comfortably).

The mod is >95% functional now. The skill tree and traits are bland, the writing is lazy and excessively punny, the stolen script is janky af, and the art has been cropped badly, but it works. I'll strip out the special sword because it's hassle for no good reason, hopefully stumble onto getting the animation thing fixed, and that should be that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You still get +3 lord and hero recruit rank and +30 magic and 10% magic resist to every force, you don't get the 2000 dark magic per turn as other races.

It does that for VCs? :stare:

poo poo, I need to get my Von Carstein honeymoon rolling.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

It's also a 20 turn build time if my read from the tables is right.

sassassin posted:

It's pretty much working now. Invest in the 'give griffon' skill and you get the griffon mount option, and it even appears, walks around the campaign map and screams at Tyrion when he attacks. I messed something up with the rider, though, and he t-poses on the map and in battle (even though custom battles with ostensibly the same dude on the same mount work fine, Eltharion sits there comfortably).

The mod is >95% functional now. The skill tree and traits are bland, the writing is lazy and excessively punny, the stolen script is janky af, and the art has been cropped badly, but it works. I'll strip out the special sword because it's hassle for no good reason, hopefully stumble onto getting the animation thing fixed, and that should be that.

That animation issue is bizarre. Still, nice.

e: aside from the quest scripting it looks pretty straightforward to put together an item. The quest scripting though :psyduck:

Gitro fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 28, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gitro posted:

It's also a 20 turn build time if my read from the tables is right.

:stonklol:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Doesn't the Temple of Khaine have a similarly obscene build time?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's a pretty fucken strong pyramid.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Thats some solid corruption.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Why does Skrolk have Envoy of the Council and Voice of the Horned Rat? He's not a grey seer, I don't see any horns on that weird naked mole rat head.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

JBP posted:

That's a pretty fucken strong pyramid.

a great pyramid

Panfilo posted:

Doesn't the Temple of Khaine have a similarly obscene build time?

Ten turns, although if it's where I think it is it gets extended from the lovely climate. Longest build time is the temple, then Vaults of Itza and the max Quintex building at 12, and the only other inherent double digits are Oak of Ages variants and K8P.

what game are the building prestige entries from. Rome 2?

Gitro fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 28, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

packetmantis posted:

Why does Skrolk have Envoy of the Council and Voice of the Horned Rat? He's not a grey seer, I don't see any horns on that weird naked mole rat head.

Pestilens are a recent addition and I believe their nasty filth is considered to be an aspect of the horned rat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Is there a list of all the special traits your lords and heroes can get as High Elves? I had a lot of fun putting one life mage with the talent that gave them +100 charge bonus on a horse, and later into a chariot.
I'm vaguely sad that so far, I've been needing to stick all of my mages in Lothern because they're basically all entrepreneurs and that +30% local income is way too good for them to do anything else. High Magic is a pretty nifty wind and I'd like to play around with it more, but I'm not sure if I can justify that, especially since Loremasters have, so far, covered my buffs/heals situation mostly adequately.

Off the top of my head, the standout Loremaster trait has been +10 reserve winds and the capstone mage skill that restores winds and increases recharge rate whose name I can't remember, but most of their traits and the mage traits appear to be variants on a bound spell from a non-elf lore. Nobles can get a pretty handy -15% upkeep armywide thing, and some of the factionwide effects seemed decent. I also remember a mage trait that was +10% to action chance, research, and -10% to enemy actions and another that was -30% to construction costs and times.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

I don't have an image handy, but I think the corruption is lower for non-VC races (or at least was in the original Vortex campaign). I seem to recall it being +20 vampiric corruption as Lizardmen, so I put in some temples and priests to tank it and reaped the sweet, sweet rewards.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

If you can just bring vlad, isabella and the vampires to the desert without going bankrupt by hitting some sea salvage or sacking and occupying to heal on your way downwards there really isn't that can stand in their way, especially if they are all fighting in a gatehouse chokepoint.

After getting a foothold and the loser vampires not taking your corpses for themselves you can take over the many goldmines in the area and eventually get up a wall so it will be safe enough to build the pyramid.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 28, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Does Chaos still have whatever issue was causing their +replenishment stuff to not work outside of friendly territory? Because it feels like they do. Also love my viking pals who instead of using their no-doubt obscene background income to back-settle ruins or literally anything just sat in their hovel until they died. <3 Kholek and Sigvald forever but they feel way more like a rabble of desperate guerillas who haven't learned how to hide than an unstoppable horde powered by heavy metal and demons.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'd love it if Alastar the White Lion had a custom Engage Enemy line of "Make a wish! :black101:"

(and to anyone who says that's insensitive, the kid was a warhams fan, he'd totally be down with it.)

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Heads up if you're using JR's skill overhaul and playing Chaos: their middle blue line skill was changed from unholy resilience to draftmaster and the + recruitment doesn't work. It's easy to change back if you want to, his tables are super well organised. You'll lose the point though, and apparently the point in anything that depends on it (lightning strike).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Gitro posted:

Does Chaos still have whatever issue was causing their +replenishment stuff to not work outside of friendly territory? Because it feels like they do. Also love my viking pals who instead of using their no-doubt obscene background income to back-settle ruins or literally anything just sat in their hovel until they died. <3 Kholek and Sigvald forever but they feel way more like a rabble of desperate guerillas who haven't learned how to hide than an unstoppable horde powered by heavy metal and demons.

If I recall that was fixed with the norsca or foundations update and hasn't yet been ported to game 2 yet.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm playing the regular campaign as High Elves and I'm not sure exactly what to do around the 4th ritual. Everything up to that felt very easy because so much of what I was facing were unarmored units- so big cheap stacks of sea guards and archers would just melt most opposing forces before they could close to melee. But now on the 4th ritual 4 chaos armies spawn randomly around the island, and another ~4 armies appear from competitors. All massive and feeling way more armored and intimidating than before.

What's the preferred composition for a later turn High Elf army? Is it a more standard mix like I'd do in Empire games in the first game? 7 armored melee, 5 ranged, 4 cav, 2 artillery, 1 hero?

Also how many armies should I have fielded in total towards the end game? I have 5 and I suspect that's too few- but with a wave like that it feels like I'll need 10-12? Given how the chaos/skaven armies all spawn together...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not there yet as high elves, but as dark elves I won the final battles with maybe 4 armies total, only three of which were guarding the home provinces. Lightning strike lets you punch so far above your weight it's absurd. As long as one of your stacks can fairly cleanly win against one, it can probably win against three or more.

Late game comp I'm still working on with HE too, but so far, archers are still doing alright for me. Maybe add in more dragons for anti armor ranged from their breath?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Not there yet as high elves, but as dark elves I won the final battles with maybe 4 armies total, only three of which were guarding the home provinces. Lightning strike lets you punch so far above your weight it's absurd. As long as one of your stacks can fairly cleanly win against one, it can probably win against three or more.

Late game comp I'm still working on with HE too, but so far, archers are still doing alright for me. Maybe add in more dragons for anti armor ranged from their breath?

All the dark elf units and stuff look cool, but I'm nervous about their racial ability of "do a lot of killing to get bonus power" because I'm comfortable with the defensive style of high elves- and their combo of "you're really powerful if your not injured" + "you have some of the best ranged units in the game" is freaking amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

All the dark elf units and stuff look cool, but I'm nervous about their racial ability of "do a lot of killing to get bonus power" because I'm comfortable with the defensive style of high elves- and their combo of "you're really powerful if your not injured" + "you have some of the best ranged units in the game" is freaking amazing.

The murderbar is a buff, their units are absolutely capable of shredding whatever without it. Most of the time it goes off when the battle's already decided unless you're playing on VH

I play them fairly similarly to Helves early on and it works fine, Darkshards obviously don't have the range of their high elf counterparts but they're still good for cutting through anything that gets close. Their AP means they never struggle with relevance like high elf can, and mixing a few shades into a stack brings you more than enough ranged killing power to mow down whatever you face (and especially chaos).