Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
HEY GAL and others- can you recommend a good intro book on the thirty years war? I realise it's a long period to cover but I know very little about that time period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

how amazing must it be to just only enjoy reading the exact same poo poo that pops into your head while showering...

Isn't this just Twitter's business plan?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Europe's Tragedy was a goon favorite on the subject IIRC, but I haven't read it myself yet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

Here's a hot take, cut off the heads of all the "royals" like they should've a hundred years ago so I don't have to read about a bunch of inbred do nothing's and their tabloid escapades written by a bunch of chumps who think this is still the age of Victoria.

It doesn't help, the Romanov royal family is big news in Russia again somehow.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grumio posted:

HEY GAL and others- can you recommend a good intro book on the thirty years war? I realise it's a long period to cover but I know very little about that time period

Europe's Tragedy is kind of the thread standard, as mentioned.

Tho if you know Swedish (for some bizarre reason), I'd recommend Dick Harrison's Ett stort lidande har kommit över oss because it's maybe more approachable.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Kemper Boyd posted:

Tho if you know Swedish (for some bizarre reason), I'd recommend Dick Harrison's Ett stort lidande har kommit över oss because it's maybe more approachable.

It's a shame if you don't. A couple of weeks ago, I saw Dick Harrison hold a lecture on the 13th century consolidation of royal power in Sweden, and it was like a Pentecostal tent revival.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I know next to nothing about the French failure in Algiers- what happened? They know everything there is to know about a COIN war, take all the lessons home, have a short logistic distance and no external war to worry about. Did they take the wrong lessons on how the Gestapo and German army tried to deal with the Resistance? The pressure of the war caused a large blowback, but who was complaining about how they acted, considering most other European countries had just tried to do the same thing in the decade or so before hand?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Comstar posted:

I know next to nothing about the French failure in Algiers- what happened? They know everything there is to know about a COIN war, take all the lessons home, have a short logistic distance and no external war to worry about. Did they take the wrong lessons on how the Gestapo and German army tried to deal with the Resistance? The pressure of the war caused a large blowback, but who was complaining about how they acted, considering most other European countries had just tried to do the same thing in the decade or so before hand?
They still treated the FLN as a military force that had to be crushed, rather than focusing on socio-economic aspects and running programs that removed the reasons why the Algerians would side with the FLN over the French government. Even though they were aware and knew about the tactics that the FLN would attempt to perform thanks to experiences in the Resistance, the issue is that it doesn't really teach you how to appease a hostile population, and theories on COIN from the counter-insurgency side weren't really developed until after the Algerian war. Being an insurgent doesn't really teach you how to fight them, especially if you go from tacit approval of the population (like the Resistance) to tacit disapproval of the population (French-Algerian War).

Also, the French Republic at the time was politically unstable, was reeling from unsuccessful wars in French Indochina and had a series of attempted coups and almost a complete military rebellion. The opposition to the war was very much present within France itself.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 28th/29th/30th Nov 1917 posted:

Working Parties, 10 Officers, 320 men daily. The few men left in Camp employed salvaging material from evacuated Camps, and improving tracks and drainage.
Pioneers similarly engaged.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Comstar posted:

The situation in Algeria was really hosed up at the time. In addition to what Tekopo said there wasn't going to be a solution that was mutually acceptable to the Algerians and to the French. Even de Gaulle realized that any victory was pyrric at best and he would talk in private about how winning meant almost ten million Muslim Algerians voting in French elections - something he found unpalatable. The legacy of over a hundred years of imperialism wasn't going to vanish in one generation and during the war the French and French-Algerians were no strangers to war crimes against the Algerian population. Any chance of winning their trust was dead before the war even started and only got worse as the atrocities mounted. Check out the Phillipsville massacre or the FLN narrative of the Million-and-a-Half Martyrs and then reconcile that alongside attempts to establish liberal democracy through infrastructure or cultural education. The FLN didn't win Algeria by being a military threat to France, they won by keeping their leadership out the country, eliminating all the other Algerian rivals for a post-war government, and refusing to lose first.

There's also the possibility that COIN just doesn't work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Why do you make an exception for the Queen?

Queenie's obviously booj and therefore obviously bad by virtue of that, but as booj go she at least performs a function. She's an icon to a lot of people and does a fairly good job of living up to that. She is fairly decent as celebrities go, I think is the difference.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

Queenie's obviously booj and therefore obviously bad by virtue of that, but as booj go she at least performs a function. She's an icon to a lot of people and does a fairly good job of living up to that. She is fairly decent as celebrities go, I think is the difference.

Aristocrats are not bourgeois, they are aristocrats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Aristocrats are not bourgeois, they are aristocrats.

I guess though she still owns a bunch of workable land and poo poo afaik.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ithle01 posted:

The situation in Algeria was really hosed up at the time. In addition to what Tekopo said there wasn't going to be a solution that was mutually acceptable to the Algerians and to the French. Even de Gaulle realized that any victory was pyrric at best and he would talk in private about how winning meant almost ten million Muslim Algerians voting in French elections - something he found unpalatable. The legacy of over a hundred years of imperialism wasn't going to vanish in one generation and during the war the French and French-Algerians were no strangers to war crimes against the Algerian population. Any chance of winning their trust was dead before the war even started and only got worse as the atrocities mounted. Check out the Phillipsville massacre or the FLN narrative of the Million-and-a-Half Martyrs and then reconcile that alongside attempts to establish liberal democracy through infrastructure or cultural education. The FLN didn't win Algeria by being a military threat to France, they won by keeping their leadership out the country, eliminating all the other Algerian rivals for a post-war government, and refusing to lose first.

There's also the possibility that COIN just doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure COIN is kind of a mirage that everyone keeps chasing so as not to have to engage in that dirty thing called politics.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even if COIN alone is unable to deal with the political outcomes of imperial occupation, at the very least it posits you shouldn't do stupid poo poo like antagonize locals you are trying to police.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phobophilia posted:

Even if COIN alone is unable to deal with the political outcomes of imperial occupation, at the very least it posits you shouldn't do stupid poo poo like antagonize locals you are trying to police.

That's pretty easy to say but the whole point of militaries is to antagonize people- that's what they're made to do. Nobody goes "oh, let's just antagonize these people, heh heh heh", that's just how military operations work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elizabeth put her money on tax havens according to the paradise papers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grumio posted:

Oh cripes. If you want a narrative that turns the entire SOUP OF BULSHIT into a plot, that's wedgewood. If you want the best modern scholarship that takes a couple hundred pages to get to the war part, that's wilson.

I know one of them personally but I won't tell you which one.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Elizabeth put her money on tax havens according to the paradise papers.

isn't she queen of those tax havens tho

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

Oh cripes. If you want a narrative that turns the entire SOUP OF BULSHIT into a plot, that's wedgewood. If you want the best modern scholarship that takes a couple hundred pages to get to the war part, that's wilson.

I know one of them personally but I won't tell you which one.

Maybe I’ll check out Wedgwood...I’ve tried Wilson a few times but I’m having a hard time getting past these initial chapters where he tries to explain to me how the Holy Roman Empire works

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't France have real messy decolonization even past Vietnam? I know that they've been through a hell of a lot of wars in Africa because of it.

There's also something I've read about the later decolonization that France has done being paired with a forever tax on the "benefits of colonization" on the countries it left, but I've had difficulties digging up good corroborating resources, so I'm not sure about that.

It's not more than a couple of years ago they hosed up Mali because they had an insurgency of some kind. Artillery, foreign legion, the whole nine yards.

E: Wiki says the FL is currently deployed in Guyané, Mayotte and Gabon on "protection" or "security" duties. Colonialism is alive and well.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 28, 2017

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That was the case with all upper class English divorces in the 1930s. That said, the upper class was split in opinion on Wallis Simpson.

Divorce was basically impossible without proof of adultery until 1969. The standard procedure up till then was for the man to hire a room at a hotel, with a prostitute. At an agreed time, two members of staff, who had been paid off ahead of time, would enter and witness the couple in bed. They could then testify in court and you got a relatively trouble-free divorce. If you couldn't get the staff on board, you could hire private detectives to do the same. This isn't some fringe thing. Lots of novels from the period describe this procedure as if it were fairly common.

Before the mid-19th century, it was basically impossible to get divorced, without an act of parliament (though ecclesiastical courts could provide annulments). There was a very widespread idea in the 18th century that you could break up a marriage by the man publicly selling his wife. This had no basis in law, but was apparently commonly practiced and tolerated. In 1744 the 2nd Duke of Chandos bought an ostler's wife for half a crown, though the practice was generally more common among the lower orders.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

In 1744 the 2nd Duke of Chandos bought an ostler’s wife for half a crown

This is the most 18th century sentence I’ve ever read

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr Enderby posted:

Divorce was basically impossible without proof of adultery until 1969.

A slightly less baroque method involved you and your lawyer's secretary filing affidavits that you had engaged in adultery. Those secretaries would have had to have been the busiest women to engage in nearly the adultery reported...

...this system was still in place in New York in 2010:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/nyregion/17divorce.html

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In the US it varied by state so a couple could live in a Nevada hotel for a month to establish residency and then no-fault divorce.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

P-Mack posted:

In the US it varied by state so a couple could live in a Nevada hotel for a month to establish residency and then no-fault divorce.

He's a hard-partying slob. She's a neurotic workaholic. But if they they want to get divorced, they need to spend one month sharing a hotel room in Reno!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe I’ll check out Wedgwood...I’ve tried Wilson a few times but I’m having a hard time getting past these initial chapters where he tries to explain to me how the Holy Roman Empire works

"Intermittently."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tias posted:

It's not more than a couple of years ago they hosed up Mali because they had an insurgency of some kind. Artillery, foreign legion, the whole nine yards.

E: Wiki says the FL is currently deployed in Guyané, Mayotte and Gabon on "protection" or "security" duties. Colonialism is alive and well.

francafrique really is the same poo poo but in more indirect ways

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve tried Wilson a few times but I’m having a hard time getting past these initial chapters where he tries to explain to me how the Holy Roman Empire works

Not on Wednesdays, because that buggers up both weekends

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is the most 18th century sentence I’ve ever read

All that is missing is the mentioning of the change being used to powder and de-lice a wig.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Have we talked about the Tollense battle site? I'm just linking the wiki because the links from there represent all I know about it. Basically

quote:

Human remains from the Bronze Age have been found in the Tollense valley (Tollensetal) since 1997.[1] Many individuals showed signs of serious injury and violent death. Starting in 2008, archaeological study of the site zeroed in on an area of two square kilometers. Hundreds of bone fragments belonging to a very large number of persons have since been discovered along with further corroborating evidence of battle; current estimates indicate that perhaps 4000 warriors took part in a battle on the site circa 1250 BCE. These findings were possible due to the preservation of the former fen ground and the fact that the Tollense has never really changed its course. Since the population density then was about 5 people per square kilometer, this would have been the most significant battle in Bronze Age period Germany yet to be discovered. Moreover, the Tollense valley is so far the largest excavated battle site of this age anywhere in the world.[2]

quote:

Chemical tracers in the body remains indicate most of the Tollense warriors were from hundreds of kilometers away and ate millet, not grown in that part of the country at the time.

The victims ran afoul of a mix of wooden clubs and flint and bronze arrows and spears, so this is at the tail end of the stone age. If you GIS it there's a pic of a guy with a bronze arrowhead stuck in his skull and another with a flint arrowhead in his humerus. It's nuts to me that these guys had all this stuff and we'll never even know what they called themselves, and how much other stuff we'll never know about because it didn't happen on ground capable of conserving the remains this well.

e: if you're like me an interested layman the Sciencemag article seems like a comprehensive writeup: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 28, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That’s why they call the ears before written records pre-history. poo poo still happened but without writing it’s basically impossible for us to figure out what. Even areas like deserts that were good at leaving evidence of human activity tell us precious little.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What could be considered the go to book for a general overview of The French Revolution? Has anyone read Citizens by Simon Scahma?

Nothing from the 19th century please.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah. Crazy stuff.

quote:

In the waters of the Tollense, the excavators encountered a wooden structure that probably belonged to a bridge over the then much wider river. A dam of planks led up to them. The radiocarbon dating of the remains of the logs showed an age of 3900 years, but the system was still in operation at the time of the battle.

Presumably, two ancient long-distance trade routes met here. On them, luxury goods and strategic goods such as tin, which was needed for the production of bronze, were transported over long distances.

Just a few days ago archaeologists presented a pearl in Halle, which was found in a Bronze Age grave near Esperstedt (Saalekreis) dated to 1200 BC. It owes its blue color to lapis lazuli, which was mined in Afghanistan. Also in Neustrelitz in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, a find with 180 glass beads from the Mediterranean region was discovered, which also dates back to around 1200 BC.

Imagine a caravan roaming the early bronze age forests of central Europe with a cargo of Afghan lapis lazuli.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered Wilson, let's see how far I can make it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wedgwood is seriously great cause she mastered the lost art of writing history like a human being.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What could be considered the go to book for a general overview of The French Revolution? Has anyone read Citizens by Simon Scahma?

Nothing from the 19th century please.
I enjoyed Citizens. I remember it got some bad press from academic historians, but apart from the usual sniffing about "popular history" I can't remember why. I thought it was great.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

Wedgwood is seriously great cause she mastered the lost art of writing history like a human being.
Very few people do this actually! They get "is it correct" and "is it important," but loving MISS "do i sound like a goddamn computer wrote this"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

I enjoyed Citizens. I remember it got some bad press from academic historians, but apart from the usual sniffing about "popular history" I can't remember why. I thought it was great.

Schama was taken to task for focusing on the lurid stuff - guillotining and the like - without mentioning any of the positive outcomes of the revolution.

For Thirty Years War, I've always had a soft spot for Geoffrey Parker's book because he mentions an old SPI wargame in the bibliography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How about The Oxford History of the French Revolution?

There's also a People's History of the French Revolution but at quick glance that seems to be really skewed to being overwhelming positive about everything.