Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My big issue with not wanting to go to Wal-Mart is that the employees there never seem to be actively friendly or helpful. Then again, I might not be if I worked at Wal-Mart.

And the one in my town is kind of dirty and gross a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I've never shopped at Wal-Mart because of the many reasons they are bad for America and I'm grateful I've been able to make that decision financially (I'm poor but childless.)

There is nothing wrong with making that choice. No point in trying to stop others though so I don't say anything.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

While pretty much every society ever has made plenty of art suggesting that adult men should actively pursue teenage girls, most westerners actually recognize that it's hosed up when pointed out to them. Anime fans seem to have an entire culture around how everyone knows pedophilia is "illegal" but also actively encouraging it and pushing the boundaries for the sake of it to appeal to pedophiles.

That said, it's dumb to dismiss all anime. On top of Miyazaki and the standard super popular kids stuff from the 90s, Makoto Shinkai is a really good director and has recently made some pretty big waves with Your Name. Like Miyazaki, he kind of ignores all the creepy poo poo that is prevalent in anime and just makes dramas about relationships between normal human beings, though Your Name plays a bit into silly anime tropes and crude sexual humor that I find annoying. Kind of on topic for the thread, 5 Centimeters Per Second is my actual favorite Shinkai film and my favorite movie in general. It's a drama about a guy who starts going out with a girl in middle school and tries to maintain the relationship even though their families move further and further apart as they grow up. It also is maybe the most aggressive film I've ever seen about trying to get the audience to cry constantly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last time I was in a Wal Mart I asked an employee where to find shoe insoles and he just said "I dunno bro" and walked off, and the next woman I asked lead me to the bed comforters, pointed to them and then also walked off.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

veni veni veni posted:

The last time I was in a Wal Mart I asked an employee where to find shoe insoles and he just said "I dunno bro" and walked off, and the next woman I asked lead me to the bed comforters, pointed to them and then also walked off.

You’re so close to cracking the code. Closer than I’ve ever been.

Keep asking them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Target is literally as bad as wal mart ethically but they keep there store cleaned pretty well and the red and white make it seem nicer there. That's really the only reason I prefer Target to Wal Mart.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Target is actually way worse than walmart because they go all in on the "team" culture and poo poo and it's horrible

However that said, people who look down on those who do shop at walmart are just straight up assholes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every superstore is nasty business. That said I really enjoy shopping at target and buy 60% of my poo poo there easily. In this day and age it's almost impossible to support the little guy when it comes to retail anyways unless you don't care at all about convenience, value or selection.

If there was still a war between these big chains and local business, sure there is an argument to be had, but these places killed local business dead 20 years ago. The only things that seem to have survived are artisanal yuppy bullshit, and frankly I wouldn't mind seeing most of those places go out of business, so I'd just as soon shop at Wal Mart.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Nov 28, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think free speech and freedom of expression are vitally important and must be protected, and I don't think this makes me a Nazi, Nazi sympathizer, white supremacist, or fascist. :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you raise concerns about the freedom of expression for nazis more often than concerns about the freedom of expression for people that nazis want to oppress and kill, then you are in fact a nazi sympathizer.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

If you raise concerns about the freedom of expression for nazis more often than concerns about the freedom of expression for people that nazis want to oppress and kill, then you are in fact a nazi sympathizer.

I havent done that, so gently caress off with that accusation. :)

Also, if you think that anyone who is pro-freedom of speech is automatically a Nazi sympathizer, you are in fact a loving goddamn dumbass. ;)

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Blue Star posted:

I think free speech and freedom of expression are vitally important and must be protected, and I don't think this makes me a Nazi, Nazi sympathizer, white supremacist, or fascist. :)

"It's alright to have opinions, as long as they're the right ones."

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"It's alright to have opinions, as long as they're the right ones."

This but unironically. For example,

Joe's Apartment is the best MTV film, and the best Musical, ever made.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the best musical movie

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Just out of curiosity: have you actually ever seen another musical movie?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the "Bohemian Rhapsody" of cinema.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity: have you actually ever seen another musical movie?

Yes and it's the best. The Wall is the second best.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I realise that what I’m about to reference isn’t a movie, but it IS a musical thing that is great and I can’t not:

YOUR BARBECUED CHICKEN’S VERY DRY.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

if you're worried that being pro free speech makes you look like a nazi sympathizer you probably are.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
All vice/sin/crime/differing opinions/personality flaws are not caused by insanity (although some certainly are), and the people(*) who say it is sound a bit too much like the Soviet psychologists who committed political dissidents because "no sane person would disagree with communist theory" for my liking.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Nov 28, 2017

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

All vice/sin/crime/differing opinions/personality flaws are not caused by insanity (although some certainly are), and the people(*) who say it is sound a bit too much like the Soviet psychologists who committed political dissidents because "no sane person would disagree with communist theory" for my liking.

I'm not sure that I read you correctly, but if I do, then I agree, but I don't know whether I'd really call it an unpopular opinion, as such. I guess it is an easy and common mistake to make, to default to looking for something pathological, traumatic or some kind of childhood neglect, in order to neatly explain away harmful and self-destructive behavior as only possible for unhealthy people and others to engage in.

Blue Star posted:

I agree, but I don't think that a right that seeks to ensure the protection of minorities can meaningfully encompass the protection of ideology that is inherently oppressive of people based on their race, sexuality or gender. It isn't a slippery slope to me, to acknowledge that what race, gender or sexuality that someone belongs to does not infringe upon the freedom of anyone else, and that ideology which does infringe upon the freedom of people based on their race, gender or sexuality goes directly counter to the core purpose of ensuring minority-based rights.

I'm not accusing you of doing this, and this is obviously somewhat hyperbole, but it is absurd that freedom of speech should be construed as if it is a fairness to create a free-for-all, level playing field between, say, someone who is homosexual and someone who wants to kill a person for being homosexual.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I suspect the original poster was trolling, but anywho, imo if you feel the need to specify that you are not a nazi you prolly lean pretty nazi.

When far-right types scream about free speech it’s typically not governments censoring them, it’s private companies choosing not to associate their brand with hate speech, or other private citizens exercising THEIR free speech to call nazis dumb. Fascist free speech is not in any danger. Imo western governments seem faaaar more likely to censor, say, a radical BLM activist than some racist dick in a suit.

Also as a bisexual jew I think we’ve started slinging the terms nazi and fascist around a bit too freely, but it is what it is. Alt right assholes might not be og stormtroopers but they’re definitely the types who’d have happily fallen in line in 1933. Again if you gotta say you’re not a nazi, you’re prolly a little bit nazi.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Watch Shock Treatment. Everyone. All of you. Watch it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also as a bisexual jew I think we’ve started slinging the terms nazi and fascist around a bit too freely, but it is what it is. Alt right assholes might not be og stormtroopers but they’re definitely the types who’d have happily fallen in line in 1933. Again if you gotta say you’re not a nazi, you’re prolly a little bit nazi.
The vast majority of people I've heard referred to as Nazis lately have been of two groups. The first is people who are literally going around displaying swastikas and doing Nazi salutes. The second is the people who express all the same sentiments as the first group but have just enough political awareness to not to start every conversation with "Hello, I am a literal Nazi."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I suspect the original poster was trolling, but anywho, imo if you feel the need to specify that you are not a nazi you prolly lean pretty nazi.

When far-right types scream about free speech it’s typically not governments censoring them, it’s private companies choosing not to associate their brand with hate speech, or other private citizens exercising THEIR free speech to call nazis dumb. Fascist free speech is not in any danger. Imo western governments seem faaaar more likely to censor, say, a radical BLM activist than some racist dick in a suit.

Please don't say "prolly"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The rocky horror picture show is good for about 30 minutes then it falls off of a cliff so hard. Phantom of the Paradise is so much better than rocky horror in every way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A society where nazis are free to loudly and openly express their desire to oppress and murder minorities is a society where minorities are bullied into silence. You can't protect both groups' freedom of speech equally, because one inherently infringes on the other. Personally, I'd rather live in a society where that's not the case, and if that requires telling nazis that they can't hold rallies, then I think I'm fine with that.

Besides, nazis have a perfectly reasonable method of not losing their freedom of speech: stop being nazis.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

if you're worried that being pro free speech makes you look like a nazi sympathizer you probably are.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

These are absolutely amazing :allears:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grandmother of Five posted:

I'm not sure that I read you correctly, but if I do, then I agree, but I don't know whether I'd really call it an unpopular opinion, as such. I guess it is an easy and common mistake to make, to default to looking for something pathological, traumatic or some kind of childhood neglect, in order to neatly explain away harmful and self-destructive behavior as only possible for unhealthy people and others to engage in.

I agree, but I don't think that a right that seeks to ensure the protection of minorities can meaningfully encompass the protection of ideology that is inherently oppressive of people based on their race, sexuality or gender. It isn't a slippery slope to me, to acknowledge that what race, gender or sexuality that someone belongs to does not infringe upon the freedom of anyone else, and that ideology which does infringe upon the freedom of people based on their race, gender or sexuality goes directly counter to the core purpose of ensuring minority-based rights.

I'm not accusing you of doing this, and this is obviously somewhat hyperbole, but it is absurd that freedom of speech should be construed as if it is a fairness to create a free-for-all, level playing field between, say, someone who is homosexual and someone who wants to kill a person for being homosexual.

This is all true. I agree that speech which advocates violence against a certain group shouldnt be protected. Its just amazing that me simply saying "Free speech is good" has brought out the weirdos in this thread.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Little Shop of Horrors, you rubes!

Another PHUO, I was just thinking about how many lovely situations people get pressed into out of politeness. It'd be nice if social norms allowed you to say "no" without needing an actual reason and if the same social norms taught people to accept "no" without a reason. Normal people have a fear of appearing rude and assholes prey on it.

This stemmed from girl talk about ways to lie about why we don't want to date people. A reasonless "no" translates into "try harder" or "ask again later." There are less direct, more ingrained examples, but that's just the one that cropped up. So yeah, I don't suspect "we should be able to be ruder without feeling bad" is a popular idea.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Star posted:

Laws that restrict hate speech and enticement to violence are perfectly fine limitations on free speech.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blue Star posted:

Its just amazing that me simply saying "Free speech is good" has brought out the weirdos in this thread.

well, yes, whenever you post by definition you are bringing out the weirdo in the thread

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Free speech is good" and "I hope nobody thinks I'm a nazi" are two statements that are perfectly reasonable on their own, but make people a little suspicious when you combine them.

Kind of like "I like anime" and "I hope nobody thinks I'm a pedophile".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat
Free speech is a fiction, a farce.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral Damage posted:

Laws that restrict hate speech and enticement to violence are perfectly fine limitations on free speech.

True but people define hate speech in different ways. Its easy in many circumstances (dont entice violence against minorities) but people try to slither in different definitions of "minority" until you've got actual Nazis say that "kill Nazis" is hate speech. How to fight this? With...free speech. You have to be able to fight hate speech with free speech. And hate speech laws will naturally be protected by free speech, because free speech will allow open debate and it will be possible to continuously pwn Nazis, whereas if there was no free speech, you'd be helpless.

I'm a loving fighter, I know these things. Most y'all aint, so ya dont. Look at how several different posters all mindlessly repeated the same dumb argument: "Hurr durr if you free speech, you might be a Nazi" without the slightest bit of thought. Look at how I've effortlessly pwned them. Why? Because I use free speech.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

"Free speech is good" and "I hope nobody thinks I'm a nazi" are two statements that are perfectly reasonable on their own, but make people a little suspicious when you combine them.

Kind of like "I have a Star Trek avatar and am a huge pedantic nerd" and "I hope nobody thinks I'm a pedophile".

I've advocated for free speech and already several people have tried to insinuate I'm a Nazi. Gee, i wunder why I added that bit about how advocating for free speech doesnt make me a Nazi? Its almost like i anticipated what morans were gonna say and tried to nip it in the bud?

Also, fixed that last bit of your post for ya. ;)

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress off, nazi.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress off, nazi.

You see how quickly this devolved? Because I'm for free speech? I even admitted that hate speech laws and protection of vulnerable groups was necessary*. But it wasn't enough, I have to completely kowtow to you in order to not be a Nazi.

*I'm actually a trans woman myself. I dont know if thats relevant though, since I've annoyed people for bringing it up before and making everything about trans issues. :rolleyes:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My PHUO is that musicals are mostly dumbed down versions of their non-musical counterparts.
Also that RHPS' saving grace is that the "event" aspect is such a weird experience. Without that it would just be a bad movie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blue Star posted:

You see how quickly this devolved? Because I'm for free speech? I even admitted that hate speech laws and protection of vulnerable groups was necessary*. But it wasn't enough, I have to completely kowtow to you in order to not be a Nazi.

*I'm actually a trans woman myself. I dont know if thats relevant though, since I've annoyed people for bringing it up before and making everything about trans issues. :rolleyes:

Yeah you bring it up literally every time someone calls you out on your lovely opinions. gently caress off, nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Blue Star posted:

This is all true. I agree that speech which advocates violence against a certain group shouldnt be protected. Its just amazing that me simply saying "Free speech is good" has brought out the weirdos in this thread.

I think it is largely just that, depending on the context in which you present a viewpoint, you may need to preface or structure that viewpoint in specific ways in order to not make unintended impressions.

I can't personally imagine being given poo poo about it if I were to say something as banal as "free speech is good", but if I posted it in some GBS or D&D news thread about some antifa punching a Nazi, and write out; "free speech is good", then I should expect a different reaction.

Blue Star posted:

You're a smart woman, Blue Star, and I enjoy reading your post, but you're also deliberately playing a role that causes people to dismiss you and become adverse to engaging with you genuinely, and that's a shame, I think, because you do write interesting stuff. Now that Jastiger has been permabanned, please continue to use your powers for good, even though derailing the thread away from giving Jastiger attenttion is no longer needed.