Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
what about other cryptocurrencies like etheriumcoin are they trash and dumb too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Han Solomon posted:

what about other cryptocurrencies like etheriumcoin are they trash and dumb too?

Ethereum gained ten times its value this year! Buy buy buy!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Han Solomon posted:

someone deleted $300 million somehow

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/08/cryptocurrency-300m-dollars-stolen-bug-ether

https://www.scmagazineuk.com/214-million-in-ethereum-crypto-currency-virtually-gone-after-code-deletion/article/706122/

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
I have mates that keep hyping it up and im like dudes come on its a bad idea but theyre all "CRYPTOCURRENCIES ARE THE FUTURE" and "my etheriumcoins went up 20 dollars last night"

i dont know what to do about it

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Harm prevention. Educate them on the issues but its their choice. I just call it speculation and nobody can really argue against that. Whether they respect what means is on them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's no point in arguing with them over it, if they're smart then they'll exit before the bubble pops and you can let them buy you a beer, if they're dumb then they'll lose their investment and you can laugh about it together

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm kinda sad that i spent what is equivalent to around 20k right now on drugs early on but maybe those drugs made me a better person and thats all that matters

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

quote:

100% Backed
Every tether is always backed 1-to-1, by traditional currency held in our reserves. So 1 USD₮ is always equivalent to 1 USD.

quote:

PURCHASE AND REDEMPTION OF TETHERS: The Site is an environment for the purchase and redemption of Tethers. Once you have Tethers, you can trade them, keep them, or use them to pay persons that will accept your Tethers. However, Tethers are not money and are not monetary instruments. They are also not stored value or currency.
There is no contractual right or other right or legal claim against us to redeem or exchange your Tethers for money. We do not guarantee any right of redemption or exchange of Tethers by us for money. There is no guarantee against losses when you buy, trade, sell, or redeem Tethers.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Today?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

if it does it's gonna sit there for a fraction of a second and then tank to 9500

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Deceptive Thinker posted:

if it does it's gonna sit there for a fraction of a second and then tank to 9500

i'm stinkin' the same thing, tex

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I took a look at r/bitcoin

That place is like that "smartest guys in the room" doc about Enron.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone should prebuild a thread documenting the nerdrage when this thing crashes hard.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
It's only a matter of time before big farms (China, wherever) turn from mining to brute force wallet hacking. That should be a fun time.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

It's only a matter of time before big farms (China, wherever) turn from mining to brute force wallet hacking. That should be a fun time.
that would be self-destructive

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uranium 235 posted:

Rita horny Michael

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

The best thing is people going "ah, but the bitcoin market cap is more than General Electrics!!" As if this means anything at all.

General electric has 360 billion of assets and generates revenue using them, not 160 billion of nerd get-rich-quick-schemes manipulated by trading bots and russian scammers.

Lol if anyone thinks nerd dollars has a chance against the literal military industrial complex.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Uranium 235 posted:

Mine, sell, hack

E:
Eventually all the coins will be found. No better use for all that hardware when that happens.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 28, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure the NSA could backdoor every mining rig out there and redirect efforts to their own wallet while echoing the original wallet name on the mining terminal output. They'd make like $500 in a day and destabilise the entire community.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sten Freak posted:

Eventually all the coins will be found. No better use for all that hardware when that happens.
That's true, but it's like year 2100 when that happens. Bitcoin isn't going to last long enough for wallet hacking to ever be a serious problem. Anyway i bought 0.5 btc today, wish me luck!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
10 more...

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
gently caress I should throw another stack at this, huh

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Manic Technophile posted:

Anyway i bought 0.5 btc today, wish me luck!

jack off and calm down before you do something dumb

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

scott zoloft posted:

jack off and calm down before you do something dumb

I'm jacked off and calm.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hi should i buy some b-coin?

thanks and namaste

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The Great EMP cannot come soon enough.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Minimalist Program posted:

I'm jacked off and calm.

i've cum and now I'm ready to slam that sell bussy

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My favorite bitcoin thing was explaining to my libertarian acquaintance who tried to claim that bitcoin is a currency controlled by people rather than governments, allowing an escape from the oppression of the establishment, is that the very first thing you need to own it is an internet connection and 120+GB of storage

And most internet around the world is government-regulated

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
cOULD BITCOIN HAVE HAPPENED TO BEGIN WITH WITHOUT NET NUETRALITY?

you know what, Im just gonna leave that sentence the way it is

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not a Children posted:

My favorite bitcoin thing was explaining to my libertarian acquaintance who tried to claim that bitcoin is a currency controlled by people rather than governments, allowing an escape from the oppression of the establishment, is that the very first thing you need to own it is an internet connection and 120+GB of storage

And most internet around the world is government-regulated

Also electricity and a functioning power grid.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

Mine, sell, hack

E:
yeah but if all the miners stopped mining and began attacking wallets then they'd destroy the market value of bitcoin and even if they hacked wallets successfully, they wouldn't get much out of it

it's a bad scheme

the better scheme would just be to fork a different coin and throw their support behind it (basically what happened with bitcoin cash)

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
how liquid is this poo poo, anyway? Say someone put $1000 in 4 days ago and then wanted to withdraw their $1100 today?

Just so nobody's worried, no I'm not going to buy bitcoins.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
someone else said they just bought half a coin (currently valued at a little under 5k). ain't nobody worried.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WarEternal posted:

how liquid is this poo poo, anyway? Say someone put $1000 in 4 days ago and then wanted to withdraw their $1100 today?

the value would collapse immediately if someone were able to take their cash out

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

WarEternal posted:

at that amount, it's liquid
the more you have in there, the harder it is to get it out

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WarEternal posted:

You can withdraw $5000/day from Coinbase/GDAX with limited verification, and up to $20,000/day if you give them the same level of info you'd give to open a bank account

If you're talking about trading volume it's north of $1 billion/day

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh bitcoin operates using time as a currency

The more you withdraw, the more power you use to decrypt large amounts of data. Hahaha

C is a tough nut to crack!

Further: ahahahahahhahahahahahagagahah libertarians are funding the literal deep state; you’re buying expensive utilities. Hahahahahahahhahahahah

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 28, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

killmeimmafailure posted:

Oh bitcoin operates using time as a currency

The more you withdraw, the more power you use to decrypt large amounts of data. Hahaha

C is a tough nut to crack!

Further: ahahahahahhahahahahahagagahah libertarians are funding the literal deep state; you’re buying expensive utilities. Hahahahahahahhahahahah

You could more accurately say that it uses electricity as a currency. But miners aren't really spending any time decrypting anything; the whole point of proof of work is to just spend money wasting electricity

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

WarEternal posted:

that would be easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
How many bitcoins are in that wallet of Satoshi's that's lost forever? You can just look that up, right?