Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Thought this was some weird in joke with you guys but drat that is quite grim.

Edit: just read about it properly :gonk:

Solefald fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Greed everything unless it’s a glam item I want for my current class then need, even if it’s a downgrade.

This is where i fall as well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Solefald posted:

Thought this was some weird in joke with you guys but drat that is quite grim.

Edit: just read about it properly :gonk:

Oh yeah we didn't mention the children huh.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I'm at 65 DRK and I've got just two questions. One, when do I use Carve and Split? Just DA + it as soon as I possibly can, right? And if there's a NIN or whatever, line up with their TA. It feels random in a way that Dream Within a Dream doesn't. Second, Myste is Fray, right? I just did the 65 quest and he's started referring to us and we. He might've done it earlier and I didn't notice, but he blatantly did it here.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
DA carve and split on cooldown. As for Myste your questions will be answered by the DRK 70 quest (are you reading your journal entries? you should be reading your journal entries)

vvvv all dots snapshot so yes try to get jaws in under raging strikes

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For Carve and Spit, I pretty much fire it whenever. If there's someone on the team that can inflict a slash debuff, then odds are pretty good they're going to have it up all the time. If it's difficult content, you may want to wait until the ninja gets Trick Attack up, but for most dungeons, who gives a gently caress. Bear in mind that I main Paladin so I may be completely off, who knows.

For your second question, you asked directly, so I will tell you that the answer is no, Myste is not Fray. I won't tell you who it actually is, though, because that's not what you asked.

I have a couple of questions myself since I'm at it: for Ninja, Duality is just "the next weapon hit goes off twice." Is there anything worth using that on other than Aeolian Edge? And is there anything special about Dream Within A Dream or is it just "here is an oGCD Big Hit"? And for Bards, I know Iron Jaws refreshes the timer on the Bites, but does it reset the timer with their snapshots intact? Like if you land the Bites with Raging Strikes and Straight Shot up, and later those are not up when you Iron Jaws to refresh them, does it keep the damage and crit bonus because the timer just got topped up and that's it?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Your dots re-snapshot when you Iron Jaws. Since IJ does some damage straight, it's almost always a good idea to IJ whenever you gain a powerful buff, or right before a powerful buff runs out, regardless of how much time is left on your dots.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I have a couple of questions myself since I'm at it: for Ninja, Duality is just "the next weapon hit goes off twice." Is there anything worth using that on other than Aeolian Edge? And is there anything special about Dream Within A Dream or is it just "here is an oGCD Big Hit"?

For cooldowns with long timers, the thing to consider is "how many uses will i get out of the fight, and will delaying this cost me a use?" The longer the cooldown, the less likely it is that delaying will cost you a use. With Duality, you can often let is sit for upwards of 30 seconds (Combined, not every time) without losing a use (You can't know for sure without a specific kill time in mind, but you can make a reasonable guess). For that reason, there is no point is using duality on anything but Aeolian Edge, since that gets you the most potency per use, even if you have to wait a few GCDs with it off-cooldown.

DwaD has the same cooldown as trick attack, and this should be used within every trick window; otherwise, it's the same as any direct-damage cooldown in that you use it as soon as it comes up every time, to get as many uses out of it as possible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

This happened to me with Lakshmi and Susano EX. Neither is hard of course but I genuinely think Lakshmi EX is easier than Lakshmi Regular.

I got Lakshmi in roulette the other day and kept using vril every time Chancala came up. I didn't die, but I'm pretty sure I probably wasted a lot of vril. :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just got Paladin and wowwee that's a lot of abilities to look foward too :stare:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's the second expansion and yet I still have to reset my chocobo's aggressive settings every time I summon it.

You'd think "Free Stance" would use its abilities on cooldown so I don't have to keep on putting it on Defensive.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Haven't played since 2014, do I get HW free if I resub? Debating getting SB right now or waiting on it since my character is only level 34. Also, is there like a "reinvite old players" deal? I'd google a of this but I'm currently driving through Texas with my wife and for some reason the only thing the internet is working correctly with is SA.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
HW is packaged with SB, not the base game

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Rosalind posted:

So there's no consensus on exactly when the button should be pushed? I'll test it out tonight and get a definitive answer.

In Hard mode, the converter goes on at 40%. Leviathan also goes down to do his Ultimate at 40%. This means that, for the most part, you're safe by just hitting the converter whenever it comes up.

The issue is in that there is supposed to be a dive between the initial dive at 90% and the dive at 40% to do the ult. This dive has Levithan also do a drive by across the deck. What can happen is you won't be fast enough to skip this dive, but Levi's HP will get low enough when he's going down to do this dive that you'll get to 40% and the converter will be usable. However, activating it right away may be slightly early, because there will be a delay as Levi is going to do his drive by before he does his ult. It's rare but it happens. You know he's going to do his ult when he's at 40% and he drops his AoE bubble attack that causes heavy.

For EX, there are two thresholds: 50% at 20%. You can survive all the ults at 70 unsynced except the 20% EX one. And maybe a tank can survive that, I've never tested. The 20% one you should be careful of, though. For EX, he always drops the bubble before diving under. He is supposed to do a dive under between 50% and 20% with no ult and it's hard to judge if you skipped it or not if you push too quickly. The other dives you can tell: the one between 90% and 50% has two bubbles and two drive bys. The one inbetween 50% and 20% and the one at 20% both have one bubble and one drive by. I know no way to know which one is coming, so I always just wait to let him do the dive.

I do mentor roulette a lot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There is a Callback Campaign thing but you need to be "invited back" by someone on your friends list.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

cheetah7071 posted:

HW is packaged with SB, not the base game

Gotcha, so definitely getting it then. Thanks for saving me some cash later on!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ruta posted:

In Hard mode, the converter goes on at 40%. Leviathan also goes down to do his Ultimate at 40%. This means that, for the most part, you're safe by just hitting the converter whenever it comes up.

The issue is in that there is supposed to be a dive between the initial dive at 90% and the dive at 40% to do the ult. This dive has Levithan also do a drive by across the deck. What can happen is you won't be fast enough to skip this dive, but Levi's HP will get low enough when he's going down to do this dive that you'll get to 40% and the converter will be usable. However, activating it right away may be slightly early, because there will be a delay as Levi is going to do his drive by before he does his ult. It's rare but it happens. You know he's going to do his ult when he's at 40% and he drops his AoE bubble attack that causes heavy.

For EX, there are two thresholds: 50% at 20%. You can survive all the ults at 70 unsynced except the 20% EX one. And maybe a tank can survive that, I've never tested. The 20% one you should be careful of, though. For EX, he always drops the bubble before diving under. He is supposed to do a dive under between 50% and 20% with no ult and it's hard to judge if you skipped it or not if you push too quickly. The other dives you can tell: the one between 90% and 50% has two bubbles and two drive bys. The one inbetween 50% and 20% and the one at 20% both have one bubble and one drive by. I know no way to know which one is coming, so I always just wait to let him do the dive.

I do mentor roulette a lot.

The 20% one is easily ignored by tanks at 70. I can solo levi ex on pld.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seconding that, as WAR, not just a Hallowed Ground thing. I don't even have to pop any CDs to come out the other side, and I can just solo it the rest of the way after everyone else bites it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Player health is at the point where Troubadour's Ballad will push the non-Tank party members high enough to survive the second Tidal Wave by a few thousand health, assuming you weren't tagged with his attack that lowers resistance. As long as your DPS have at least 42k health, shields included, you'll survive it. Healers need about 40k.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 28, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
shout outs to the monday map crew

moe's buying maps for next time, go send a pm in game to get your free map

code:
27 nov 2017
start time: 20:05 et

map 1 (ace), fringes (32.7, 31.4)
no portal

map 2 (moe), fringes (25.5, 20)
no portal

map 3 (zeus), peaks (16.1, 9.4)
floor 4
wind up nazamu drop

map 4 (moe), lochs (24.4, 31.8)
no portal
Luminare A rank, though

map 5 (sylvia), fringes (23.3, 12.3)
floor 2

map 6 (zeus), ruby sea ( 5.2, 15)
no portal

map 7 (tortolia), ruby sea (5.2, 15)
no portal

map 8 (phone), ruby sea (16.9, 9.6)
floor 3

map 9 (brynn), yanxia (12.1, 18.9)
floor 7 - thunderbeast
wind up nazamu drop floor 6
thieves map drop floor 6
thieves map drop floor 7

map 10 (tsurai), yanxia (12.1, 18.9)
floor 4

map 11 - thieves 1 (brynn), yanxia (8.4, 16.6)
floor 4
wind up nazamu floor 1
thavnairian wool drop floor 4

map 12 - thieves 2 (tsurai), yanxia (21.5, 34)
floor 4
thavnairian wool drop floor 2 (moe wins it... again)
hanish wool drop floor 3 (moe loses it... by 1)
wind up matanga drop floor 4 
end time: 22:05 et
10 maps, 5 portals, 2 thieves floor 4 runs, ~400k cash

Phone fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 28, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They're bringing the 2014 Dragon Quest cross-over event back this Thursday because DQX got a new expansion.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f94c37ae32d1013b1343d45f880c8362ab532871

Wobbly slime crowns for all! (I still want a DQ Slime minion.)

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Neat that tanks can pay no attention to mechanics. I solo most content as a WHM. Maybe I could get by with a Benison, but I've already gotten used to just doing mechanics like a chump.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It is the joy unique to tanks. Not dying to something that Should Have Killed You. The ultimate trolling against destiny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ability to just go 'gently caress you, I'm going to stand in this and ignore it" is the most fun part of tank.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Conversely, the fun of BLM is knowing exactly how little you have to move to step outside of an AoE. Especially the unmarked ones.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Yes, I'm always sure to remind all tanks of their tank privilege when they just get hit by poo poo. Costs me a GCD.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unless it kills me or inflicts a damage down, or I can move elsewhere and maintain uptime, I ain't moving.

That goes for any class.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Unless it kills me or inflicts a damage down, or I can move elsewhere and maintain uptime, I ain't moving.

That goes for any class.

This is why I love having Ruin II as a Summoner (and also love what Dreadwyrm Trance does to Ruin III) - lets me wander all over the map while keeping up a constant rain of death.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Rosalind posted:

So there's no consensus on exactly when the button should be pushed? I'll test it out tonight and get a definitive answer.
I'm pretty sure it goes like this.
If the converter is active and Levithan does a lengthwise dive across half the ship, that's the time to hit the switch. Also remember to take the time to actually dodge the dive, and not eat it halfway through interacting with the switch.
Depending on how much you're holding back DPS he might first do a widthwise dive across a third of the ship, followed by a slam. If you activate the shield during this you'll wipe when he decides to do the other thing shortly afterward.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

VA got murdered. Nasty business. It’s why she doesn’t show up much in Heavensward.

the fact she's in SB would suggest that Sian Blake's murder had no influence on Yugiri's general absence from HW.

as a healer, i support tanking hits you can take from aoes.
as a healer, i also ain't stopping DPS to heal preventable damage

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 28, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the fact she's in SB would suggest that Sian Blake's murder had no influence on Yugiri's general absence from HW.

as a healer, i support tanking hits you can take from aoes.
as a healer, i also ain't stopping DPS to heal preventable damage

I dunno, holding off on replacing a deceased actor until it’s absolutely necessary is a pretty common way of showing respect in media.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/0ddb4244bbcef0184b49a6550e6b9f69569f5eaa

:eyepop:

holy poo poo!
can't believe they're patching something like this in without fanfare

e: also not 100% sure but Omega's listed as a preferred world again so if you wanted to create an alt to come hang out with please calm down, you should get that exp bonus thing again on a new character, transfers are open to Omega for big boy/girl level 70s and whatnot too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, just noticed that Marauders don’t have to cross-class to become Warriors. That’s neat. It’ll make my secondary job levelling much smoother, too.

Also, how do you keep track of what level all your jobs are at? Not gear level, actual level.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
There's a tab for it in the character window.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, hey, just noticed that Marauders don’t have to cross-class to become Warriors. That’s neat. It’ll make my secondary job levelling much smoother, too.

Also, how do you keep track of what level all your jobs are at? Not gear level, actual level.

Yeah, they got rid of the cross-class level 15 stuff in 4.0.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

e: also not 100% sure but Omega's listed as a preferred world again so if you wanted to create an alt to come hang out with please calm down, you should get that exp bonus thing again on a new character, transfers are open to Omega for big boy/girl level 70s and whatnot too.

loving finally! Come join us!

E: confirmed you'll get your bonuses too

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 28, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've been noticing with supposed high "rank" players, especially healers, that they are totally inflexible and put a lot of pressure on the other healer in a pug group situation. Is this a normal occurrence that they are just so much douchier than the average healer? So many don't adjust and let team mates die because they don't think it was their job to heal that or they would rather dps. To those out there that only care about their parse numbers or think that the other player can be pushed around , let me just say you are a really lovely player if you think that makes you good. You might be high ranked but a truly skilled healer is one who makes the run easier on the team and can adapt. If you have experience, project it in an encouraging way or adjust. I doubt this will change the mentality of such players but it really bugged me so this is my rant. huft.

Edit: The point I want to make is not to highlight a specific situation or scenario, but to draw attention to a behavioral pattern that seems to be more prevalent in a certain band of players. My hope is that such players reading this may feel inclined to provide helpful, supportive advice to improve a situation rather than the 9 out of 10 times when they sit there and watch the team fail and struggle in silence.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7g2ms8/rant_what_is_up_with_high_fflog_healers/)

also seen on reddit:

"i can only buy stormblood on steam so i'm waiting for it to go on sale, if i buy odin's horse from the mog shop now for $17, would it still work?"

maybe it's just me but if you can waste 17 bucks on a bad mount, maybe you can spend a little more and actually buy the game?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 28, 2017

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

So the Ala Mhigan Gatherer set actually looks pretty rad on big guys. (The Crafter set, not so much.)

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The first DPS DC'd and the SAM joined right after the first boss. The tank was pulling wall to wall which made me nervous a couple of times, but nobody ever died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I've been noticing with supposed high "rank" players, especially healers, that they are totally inflexible and put a lot of pressure on the other healer in a pug group situation. Is this a normal occurrence that they are just so much douchier than the average healer? So many don't adjust and let team mates die because they don't think it was their job to heal that or they would rather dps. To those out there that only care about their parse numbers or think that the other player can be pushed around , let me just say you are a really lovely player if you think that makes you good. You might be high ranked but a truly skilled healer is one who makes the run easier on the team and can adapt. If you have experience, project it in an encouraging way or adjust. I doubt this will change the mentality of such players but it really bugged me so this is my rant. huft.

Edit: The point I want to make is not to highlight a specific situation or scenario, but to draw attention to a behavioral pattern that seems to be more prevalent in a certain band of players. My hope is that such players reading this may feel inclined to provide helpful, supportive advice to improve a situation rather than the 9 out of 10 times when they sit there and watch the team fail and struggle in silence.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7g2ms8/rant_what_is_up_with_high_fflog_healers/)

also seen on reddit:

"i can only buy stormblood on steam so i'm waiting for it to go on sale, if i buy odin's horse from the mog shop now for $17, would it still work?"

maybe it's just me but if you can waste 17 bucks on a bad mount, maybe you can spend a little more and actually buy the game?

It's just how games are. No one wants to pay full price for anything anymore.