Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lava forks are easy, you'll have them down perfectly in 2-3 tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

finally unlocked darker side, got to the lava forks before calling it for now. Jesus. Next time im just keeping the lizard

Lava forks is probably straight up the easiest part though? Just use the joyconstick instead of motion controls

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just got greedy and tried to do the golden rings on the first try, misjudged when to do the capture and just fell into the lava to die. I'd go for it, but the next few tries I just kinda kept jacking to glide over the segment since I got a good pace anyway.

Wanted to do the ledge thing to avoid fighting the colorful critters things but one hit me just before i hung and bumped me off. So that's another break for me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wanted to do the ledge thing to avoid fighting the colorful critters things but one hit me just before i hung and bumped me off. So that's another break for me.

i tried the ledge-hang gimmick as well and it never ended well for me. i found the easiest thing to do was just hit the bugs with ya hat, avoid touching the big Bumper Rings entirely. there's never too many that you won't have anywhere to stand, and if you start clearing them out before the first wave hits the platform, you'll have heaps of room to get busy knocking the next wave down. just make sure you don't hit that drat ring.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

alf_pogs posted:

i tried the ledge-hang gimmick as well and it never ended well for me. i found the easiest thing to do was just hit the bugs with ya hat, avoid touching the big Bumper Rings entirely. there's never too many that you won't have anywhere to stand, and if you start clearing them out before the first wave hits the platform, you'll have heaps of room to get busy knocking the next wave down. just make sure you don't hit that drat ring.

Alright, i'll try that. That ring is freaking intimidating and I just could feel the chain reaction if I tried to throw my hat lol.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Woah what the poo poo what costume is this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Caveman

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Oh just looks different when it's tiny. Thanks.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
I got all the Moons expect Volleyball 100.
All Souvenirs, Captures and Songs.
All purple coin Costumes
Dark side and Darker side.
Took me ~40 hours

Game is good, gonna get that final moon tomorrow and enjoy the joy of it to the fullest.

Best Mario game I've played.

Wooded Kingdom Theme for best soundtrack 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Taikuri posted:

Wooded Kingdom Theme for best soundtrack 2017

It really, really is. I keep thinking I’ll get tired of it but never do.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
had some friends over and somehow they decided the best use of the remainder of the evening was seeing how fast I could speedrun odyssey with no practice

got 2:15, this is an insanely speedrun-friendly game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Between this and BotW I'm pretty sure Nintendo's attitude to speedrunners is 'godspeed, you loving lunatics'.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I wish streaming and speedrunning had been more prevalent when I was younger.

I find watching people speedrun to be boring as hell, but actually doing that stuff myself is fascinating. I've just not got the time any more to actually dedicate myself to it.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I find watching people speedrun to be boring as hell, but actually doing that stuff myself is fascinating. I've just not got the time any more to actually dedicate myself to it.
You gotta find one with good narration!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI

Speedrunning is cool, it takes a crazy amount of motor control and reaction time and it makes old games interesting again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

You gotta find one with good narration!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI

Speedrunning is cool, it takes a crazy amount of motor control and reaction time and it makes old games interesting again.

How best to explain my feelings?

I don't like speedrunning as it currently is. You're contingent on having good commentary for a speedrun to be worth watching most of the time. The innate fun of the activity itself is tangential to that.

Why do I find that to be the case? Because 99% of the time, you're watching a person effectively just do drills in their room. Every so often a run might get on pace for a WR, but mostly that's not the case. It would be like if someone made me watch a professional swimmer do 200m sprint trials on their own in a pool. I was a high moderate don't always drown level swimmer myself for a long time, so I can appreciate the technique and skill, but the activity in of itself isn't actually that fun and I'd eventually get bored, even if attempt 10 was nearly a WR.

So why do I find watching swimming at the Olympics interesting? Well, it's obviously because 8-12 people are doing it at the same time and competing against each other to see who wins, which is exciting. So perhaps unsurprisingly, I find speedrun races to be the most interesting variation of speedrunning.

But I also don't think they're all that entertaining. The reasons being that most of the games that get raced are ones which have effectively been "completed," so everyone is just running the same set of strats and it's whoever gets the best RNG or doesn't gently caress up that wins. As WRs are tied not to race performance, but to whatever you do in your room at 1 in the morning, you have no reason to hide pocket strats you've discovered.

In an ideal world (for me) WR speedruns would only be counted during races. People would have reason to hold back pocket strats they'd discovered until raceday to try to win and that would breed a lot more excitement, at least for me.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the things I've enjoyed most recently are the Mario Maker races I've seen going around. They're genuinely really exciting to watch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

And I'm sure if they weren't still making shitloads of new games I might be more interested.

It is the year 20XX
No games have been made since the NES
I just beat KARNOV in 09:15:42

I don't care that other people like it. It's cool that people like different stuff. I watch GDQ occasionally.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I like watching races from GDQ events sometimes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
See I find the races the least interesting speedrun uh... thing.

One of my most favorite speedruns was the AGDQ of Tropical Freeze a few years ago. They had commentary for almost every level, it was fascinating. The races on the other hand just feel so boring to me.

I'm much more interested in seeing how people go about getting through a particular area of a level fast than actually necessarily seeing it itself if that makes sense

edit: Although I'm watching a video of Trihex speedrun Odyssey right now and it's like a work of art (until he bonks his head after a bunch of really smooth jumps and dives :v: )

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Yorkshire Tea posted:

How best to explain my feelings?

I don't like speedrunning as it currently is. You're contingent on having good commentary for a speedrun to be worth watching most of the time. The innate fun of the activity itself is tangential to that.

Why do I find that to be the case? Because 99% of the time, you're watching a person effectively just do drills in their room. Every so often a run might get on pace for a WR, but mostly that's not the case. It would be like if someone made me watch a professional swimmer do 200m sprint trials on their own in a pool. I was a high moderate don't always drown level swimmer myself for a long time, so I can appreciate the technique and skill, but the activity in of itself isn't actually that fun and I'd eventually get bored, even if attempt 10 was nearly a WR.

So why do I find watching swimming at the Olympics interesting? Well, it's obviously because 8-12 people are doing it at the same time and competing against each other to see who wins, which is exciting. So perhaps unsurprisingly, I find speedrun races to be the most interesting variation of speedrunning.

But I also don't think they're all that entertaining. The reasons being that most of the games that get raced are ones which have effectively been "completed," so everyone is just running the same set of strats and it's whoever gets the best RNG or doesn't gently caress up that wins. As WRs are tied not to race performance, but to whatever you do in your room at 1 in the morning, you have no reason to hide pocket strats you've discovered.

In an ideal world (for me) WR speedruns would only be counted during races. People would have reason to hold back pocket strats they'd discovered until raceday to try to win and that would breed a lot more excitement, at least for me.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the things I've enjoyed most recently are the Mario Maker races I've seen going around. They're genuinely really exciting to watch.

There's a link to the past randomizer race that's fairly interesting. Because it's randomized each time, you get to see interesting strategies where items are missing or items that wouldn't ordinarily exist at a certain point in the game exist. It's a bit luck reliant, but kinda entertaining as a background thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why the only speedruns I like watching are AGDQ ones, they know they're probably not going for a WR or whatever and are just happy to talk about what's going on, or if not someone there is.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I love Link to the Past randomizer, but even I play it more to be a completionist rather than a speedrunner. I get the fascination with it, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My favorite part of speedruns is when there's something that the player basically has to sit around and wait to be finished, so they fill the time with completely unnecessary showboating. I also like them better when they're of games which still resemble normal play when speedrun. However, these are probably the games that are the least interesting to speedrunners.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

My favorite part of speedruns is when there's something that the player basically has to sit around and wait to be finished, so they fill the time with completely unnecessary showboating. I also like them better when they're of games which still resemble normal play when speedrun. However, these are probably the games that are the least interesting to speedrunners.

I think a lot of the time they’re not trying to showboat but trying to keep their momentum or whatever is a better word for it going. Like how people will run in place at crosswalks

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

okay my critiques of the game are as follows:

- The themes of the game are a bit of a mishmash (hats, weddings, globe trotting)
- The outfits don't really have much purpose
- They go for weird, and when they go weird they get weird. But there's not enough of it. There needed to be about as twice of instances of metro kingdom, the t-rex, the forgotten kingdom.
- Platforming challenges still needed more.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dork457 posted:

- The outfits don't really have much purpose

Uh you wear the outfits

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think it's really fair to criticize the outfits for lacking purpose when demonic hat possession essentially serves the same purpose that outfits usually do in Mario games, and there's like 20x more of them.

I mostly agree with the other stuff though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The only real criticisms of the game are

1) You can't play as Bowser for the whole game
2) That's it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You change your outfits so Mario won't get too hot or too cold.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The outfits let you into particular doors in each Kingdom. :colbert:

e: also they let you look fancy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

veni veni veni posted:

Oh ok I see. I was imagining the more traditional definition of a double jump i.e jumping at the peak of a jump for extra air.

If you play two player, the other player can double jump you in the traditional way when you're already in the air.
It's really handy!

I've still got three things that show as ? in the possession menu. One of them is after the meat from Luncheon Kingdom. Anyone know what it might be? It seems strange to have done everything but still be missing a few.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I gave in and used the talkatoo glitch to get 100 jumpropes. Then I cheesed the volleyball with co-op mode Cappy.

I'm missing one Star from toadette but I'm otherwise completely done with planet earth. Back to the moon with me.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Macaluso posted:

The only real criticisms of the game are

1) You can't play as Bowser for the whole game
2) That's it

I got so excited at the end when you got to be bowser and break through all those rocks, cause they kind of looked like the ones in each level (that give you more moons post game), and I figured you'd get to play as him again. Very disappointed.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

mastajake posted:

I got so excited at the end when you got to be bowser and break through all those rocks, cause they kind of looked like the ones in each level (that give you more moons post game), and I figured you'd get to play as him again. Very disappointed.

There should have been various sections in the postgame that lets you control Bowser to smash poo poo up smartly to get moons. I'd have loved such segments.

Also, Bowser under our control is not only strong, but fast and acrobatic and actually very responsive in my opinion, which is cool and good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Folt The Bolt posted:

There should have been various sections in the postgame that lets you control Bowser to smash poo poo up smartly to get moons. I'd have loved such segments.

Also, Bowser under our control is not only strong, but fast and acrobatic and actually very responsive in my opinion, which is cool and good.

He feels a lot better to control than Yoshi which is funny to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The fun part about Bowser is that he's a cartoon supervillain but also a legitimately loving badass monster who's fun to fight and fun to play. Giant horned spiky dragon turtle who can be a comedic cartoon villain, a hilarious manchild, a bumbling dad, a monstrous warrior king and somehow all at the same time.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Taear posted:

I've still got three things that show as ? in the possession menu. One of them is after the meat from Luncheon Kingdom. Anyone know what it might be? It seems strange to have done everything but still be missing a few.

Have you possessed the piranha plants? I didn't discover that this was possible until everything else was pretty much done.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The fun part about Bowser is that he's a cartoon supervillain but also a legitimately loving badass monster who's fun to fight and fun to play. Giant horned spiky dragon turtle who can be a comedic cartoon villain, a hilarious manchild, a bumbling dad, a monstrous warrior king and somehow all at the same time.

Well, going by "Mario cast are actors" thing, Bowser, like most Mario characters, is pretty flexible in what Nintendo can cast him as (and, generally, this flexibility in what the cast can be is why we get so many Mario spin-offs that go into wildly different genres). The role of the villain is what comes most naturally to him due to his conception but it's not the only thing he can play. Compare and contrast with the other iconic Nintendo villain Ganondorf for instance, whose roundedness and character development means he only really works as the ruthless badass operator behind the scenes who manipulates everything and everyone (... or an omnipotent force of nature depending on whether they make him closer to the human he was or the monster he became) and thus, while important, doesn't appear all the time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my favorite part with bowser is when you triple jump and he pumps his arm in the air triumphantly

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're also the same controls used for the past twenty years in every 3D mario game since Super Mario 64. The only change is the cap-throw extra jump.

TBF the dive isn't in every 3D mario, and it's a different button combination.

Taear posted:

I don't remember dive or triple jump in Galaxy? That's the only other 3D mario I've played.

Triple jump is in Galaxy (and every other 3D mario). Dive is not.

Calaveron posted:

And I hope there’s a big thing spelling out THANK YOU like all final Mario levels since Super Mario World

:eng101: The first one was technically SMB2j, although that's an アリガト

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I don't watch speedrunning normally, but seeing these crazy people utterly and mercilessly break games for a solid week in the GDQs has become something I look forward to every winter and summer. I can't wait to see what they do with Odyssey and BOTW.

Macaluso posted:

See I find the races the least interesting speedrun uh... thing.

One of my most favorite speedruns was the AGDQ of Tropical Freeze a few years ago. They had commentary for almost every level, it was fascinating. The races on the other hand just feel so boring to me.

I'm much more interested in seeing how people go about getting through a particular area of a level fast than actually necessarily seeing it itself if that makes sense

edit: Although I'm watching a video of Trihex speedrun Odyssey right now and it's like a work of art (until he bonks his head after a bunch of really smooth jumps and dives :v: )

I like speedrun races if they're less than an hour. I'm utterly bored of Super Metroid races, but I understand that it's a big moneymaker for GDQ because of TEH AMINALS.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc, they're actually giving Super Metroid a rest at next years AGDQ.

• Locked thread