Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Leofish posted:

A lie I like to tell myself is that all of these guys, O'Keefe, Crowder, Baked Alaska, the guy who poops on the floor, they're all just super dedicated to the beautiful art of the self-own, and that they are comedy philanthropists, providing endless humour for free by being bad at everything they think is cool.

I know that's not the truth and they are, in fact, trying to be serious in their rat-faced devilry, but sometimes we all like to pretend.

Chuck Johnson is the one who claimed that he absolutely did not poo poo on the hallway floor in his junior year in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The only thing more amazing than watching O'queef owning himself this hard is the pants shittingly stupid morons replying like this...
https://twitter.com/Don_Integrate/status/935281158954409985

...on twitter and youtube. Those youtube comments, god drat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Keeping in mind the thread title, the problem is for everyone in the right wing media bubble he isn't self owning. He's showing those libturds to be the lying fakers they are, and nobody in that toxic stew of right wing bullshit will ever think otherwise.

O'keefe isn't making a product for you to consume; he knows his market and what reality they want manufactured for them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

STAC Goat posted:

I would like to thank James O'Keefe for proving that the media has a standard and won't report any claim without verifying it and if they find inconsistencies they will question them. Thus showing that any claims that make it to print was properly vetted.

That was the point, right? That's totally what people who respect O'Keefe are going to take from this, right?

Probably not. They'll likely say "Wait. I thought all these women had a right to be believed" and try to paint is hypocrisy.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably not. They'll likely say "Wait. I thought all these women had a right to be believed" and try to paint is hypocrisy.

Nah, this will be used to reinforce the idea that if some women are liars then none of these accusations can be trusted.

Still on Veritas, I'd love to see anything that would validate this suspicion:
https://twitter.com/saletan/status/935500435909210112

And onto a different subject: Some of you may recall Joe Ricketts deciding to shutter Gothamist and DNAinfo after his NY writers voted to unionize. Ricketts sure sounds like an evil piece of poo poo, but actually, he's an unfairly smeared martyr of local journalism, according to this piece of commentary in the WSJ.
https://twitter.com/kmcdonovgh/status/935487625015816192

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Like loving clockwork, in fact:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/opinion/metoo-sexual-harassment-believe-women.html

quote:

The Limits of ‘Believe All Women’
By BARI WEISS NOV. 28, 2017
Ever since Eve gave Adam that forbidden fruit, demonizing and disbelieving women has been the planet-wide policy. You don’t need to reach back to the Pleistocene to see the truth of that.
[...]
In less than two months we’ve moved from uncovering accusations of criminal behavior (Harvey Weinstein) to criminalizing behavior that we previously regarded as presumptuous and boorish (Glenn Thrush). In a climate in which sexual mores are transforming so rapidly, many men are asking: If I were wrongly accused, who would believe me?

I know the answer that many women would give — are giving — is: Good. Be scared. We have been scared for forever. It’s your turn for some sleepless nights. They’ll say: If some innocent men go down in the effort to tear down the patriarchy, so be it.
[...]
Just yesterday The Washington Post reported that a woman named Jaime Phillips approached the paper with a story about Roy Moore. She claimed that in 1992, when she was 15 , he impregnated her and that he drove her to Mississippi to have an abortion. Not a lick of her story is true.

It appears that Ms. Phillips was collaborating with Project Veritas, an organization that tries to expose mainstream media “bias” through undercover operations, and that the group’s intent was to embarrass The Post — and, ultimately, to discredit Mr. Moore’s other accusers.

The mission failed spectacularly, thanks to the professionalism of The Post’s reporters, but it’s clear that Project Veritas was exploiting this moment. :chloe:It’s also not hard to imagine how this episode might have played out if Ms. Phillips had announced her accusations on, say, Twitter. Or even if she’d taken her story to a less fastidious news organization. In this climate, it would have caught on like wild fire.:chloe:

(emphasis, and Chloe, added)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I know its an op-ed, but jesus christ gently caress the NYT.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The NYT is trying as hard as it can to remind people that they were one of the reasons we went into Iraq and burning through the good will they got after Trump got elected and started saying they sucked.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oh look bari weiss took time from her usual hasbara beat to let us know bitches sometimes be lyin'

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

oh look bari weiss took time from her usual hasbara beat to let us know bitches sometimes be lyin'

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/935514485019873286

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hearing Glenn Beck talking about how revolutionary Bitcoin is on his show yesterday was kind of hilarious.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

And as to be expected the comment should are riddled with NOT ALL MEN, MEN ARE THE REAL VICTIMS, and so on.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I’m not good at the Twitter machine, but this compilation of O’Keefe self-owns is worth reading:

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/935272597520076803

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/935546788274044928

lmao

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Responding to "Believe Women" (and "Listen and Believe", etc.) with "sometimes women lie" is the same moronic nonsense that spawned ALL Lives Matter, rhetorical gameplaying that weaponizes ignorance.

Which brings us back to Bari. Is this article a sign of malice, or naked incompetence? With apologies to Hanlon, I'm leaning malice. Though her history allows solid arguments for either.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Paracaidas posted:

Responding to "Believe Women" (and "Listen and Believe", etc.) with "sometimes women lie" is the same moronic nonsense that spawned ALL Lives Matter, rhetorical gameplaying that weaponizes ignorance.

Which brings us back to Bari. Is this article a sign of malice, or naked incompetence? With apologies to Hanlon, I'm leaning malice. Though her history allows solid arguments for either.

This is an incredibly naive post.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Phone posted:

This is an incredibly naive post.

Do tell. Genuinely.

My take is that "Believe Women" is a response to a society that has spent its whole existence denying the credibility of women in these circumstances (*major exception for the untold murders and imprisonmemts coming from interracial panics.... an intersectionality that is too often ignored), rather than a call to disengage from all critical reasoning when a woman makes an accusation(Bari's nightmare scenario that she evidently believes many people are advocating).

Similarly, BLM is affirmational and not exclusionary. The rhetorical gameplaying relies on the ignorance of the audience, hinting that the message is actually "only BLM" or "BLM more".

Bari's inanity argues that "believe all women" requires "a stringent new solidarity that further limits the definition of womanhood", fetishizes them, erases their flaws, and makes them "Truth personified [...] above reproach". Believing women, evidently, requires believing that their claims cannot stand up to interrogation or handle skepticism. Supporting mob rule over due process, and faith over facts.

The connection is that the only way you can arrive at this argument is through either malicious intent or crushing ignorance.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Simpler version: If you'd believe a woman who claimed she's been mugged, then you should believe a woman who claims she's been raped.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Rick_Hunter posted:

The only thing more amazing than watching O'queef owning himself this hard is the pants shittingly stupid morons replying like this...
https://twitter.com/Don_Integrate/status/935281158954409985

...on twitter and youtube. Those youtube comments, god drat.

This guy is great.

https://twitter.com/Don_Integrate/status/935283691428999169

https://twitter.com/Don_Integrate/status/935319187970560000

:itisadoganalogy:

bird food bathtub posted:

Keeping in mind the thread title, the problem is for everyone in the right wing media bubble he isn't self owning. He's showing those libturds to be the lying fakers they are, and nobody in that toxic stew of right wing bullshit will ever think otherwise.

O'keefe isn't making a product for you to consume; he knows his market and what reality they want manufactured for them.

This is a good point, and one that can be tough to remember in the face of such delicious self-ownage. O'Keefe's diehard audience sees the reaction to his busted stings and the fact that he's getting dunked on repeatedly as proof that he's "on the right track" or some other nonsense. It's truly pernicious, the influence that this kind of messaging has on people in the bubble, who seem utterly incapable of looking outside of it, or who simply believe that any reaction from "the libs" is a good reaction because it means they've been owned.

The question remains how to reverse some of this. We no longer live in shared realities. It's sad, and more than a little bit frightening.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leofish posted:

This is a good point, and one that can be tough to remember in the face of such delicious self-ownage. O'Keefe's diehard audience sees the reaction to his busted stings and the fact that he's getting dunked on repeatedly as proof that he's "on the right track" or some other nonsense. It's truly pernicious, the influence that this kind of messaging has on people in the bubble, who seem utterly incapable of looking outside of it, or who simply believe that any reaction from "the libs" is a good reaction because it means they've been owned.

The question remains how to reverse some of this. We no longer live in shared realities. It's sad, and more than a little bit frightening.

Maybe give them nonsense so they can run in circles trying to solve it? Take a few sentences from something, translate it to three different languages in google translate, put it back into English and then have them read it out and move on.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Leofish posted:

Counterpoint
https://twitter.com/aobehr/status/935281446973034496

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

this isn't a new development, idiots with no standards and con artists who take their money have always been a thing dude

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I know its an op-ed, but jesus christ gently caress the NYT.

Can we just admit that NYT is pro-nazi, pro-rape, pro-fascist at this point?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leofish posted:

Why do you think people did in the past?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Paracaidas posted:

Do tell. Genuinely.

My take is that "Believe Women" is a response to a society that has spent its whole existence denying the credibility of women in these circumstances (*major exception for the untold murders and imprisonmemts coming from interracial panics.... an intersectionality that is too often ignored), rather than a call to disengage from all critical reasoning when a woman makes an accusation(Bari's nightmare scenario that she evidently believes many people are advocating).

Similarly, BLM is affirmational and not exclusionary. The rhetorical gameplaying relies on the ignorance of the audience, hinting that the message is actually "only BLM" or "BLM more".

Bari's inanity argues that "believe all women" requires "a stringent new solidarity that further limits the definition of womanhood", fetishizes them, erases their flaws, and makes them "Truth personified [...] above reproach". Believing women, evidently, requires believing that their claims cannot stand up to interrogation or handle skepticism. Supporting mob rule over due process, and faith over facts.

The connection is that the only way you can arrive at this argument is through either malicious intent or crushing ignorance.

yeah, this is way more simple than you'd probably imagine. first thing, bari's a clown and who cares, really?

the central thesis behind believe all women creates an axiomatic environment that cannot deal or cope with edge cases in a more egalitarian fashion. it's a slogan; however, a large number of people's politics is at that superficial level where politics operates solely on directed rage.

it was just a matter of time before it happened, and it finally did the other week with the franken accusation with picture proof. the radical centrist democrats are bae crowd had a few white hot takes that day. they had no idea how to deal with the possibility of one of the guys on team blue got hit, it was fine when it was those dumb dsa morons or those clearly creepy republican types; however, no response to one of the good guys.

ultimately, it comes down to how much effort you want to put into getting mad online in tyool 2017.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Can we just admit that NYT is pro-nazi, pro-rape, pro-fascist at this point?

they've kinda always been but ostensibly serious people totally flip their poo poo whenever it's pointed out

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

lol

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/935278362708398082

This whole O'Keefe thing reads like the plot of some dumb comedy movie.

It starts with a wacky little kid who really wants to grow up to be a spy or secret agent. Now cut to him as an adult, having been rejected from the CIA/FBI or whatever, starts up PROJECT VERITAS, a cool sounding new intelligence agency of his very own, to expose those mean ol' big government types as the frauds they really are! *insert boat filled with dildos scene*

"Uh oh! That didn't really work out quite like I planned did it? What are you looking at over there Chuck?!"
*Chuck Johnson shits on the floor*

You even have a scene with a hot mic gag where he forgets to hang up his phone and then blows his whole operation.

Coming soon to theaters near you... Adam Sandler IS James O'Keefe!

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 28, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

James O'Keef : Intelligence Beef

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know we're on O'Keefe, but it came up on twitter.

Shapiro is just as bad as the other right wing trash, right? He just gets a pass because he doesn't screech like Garrison, Milo, etc, and also because he's Jewish so allegedly gets a lot of the Nazi hate. Or am I misremembering something?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

Shapiro is just as bad as the other right wing trash, right? He just gets a pass because he doesn't screech like Garrison, Milo, etc, and also because he's Jewish so allegedly gets a lot of the Nazi hate. Or am I misremembering something?

yeah shapiro is a huge piece of poo poo who just happens to have the tact and competence to be a cut above the screechers

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Manuel Calavera posted:

yeah he's a loving cretin of the worst type

he's also in the news this weekend because the nyt gave him a long sloppy blowjob where they kept referring to him as a pugilist and a philosopher.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Uh...Ben Shapiro screeches A LOT.

I've literally never seen him on-screen where he doesn't speak like he just broke out of black site prison.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Shapiro is pretty garbage and usually uses plausible deniability to hide his awfulness, like when the Daily Wire put up that animation or whatever about how Columbus was actually good for Native Americans and everyone called them out on it he said "I didn't approve that" (despite being the founder and EIC).

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Manuel Calavera posted:

Ben Shapiro was the forerunner to Milo (literally, as in his ouster as unofficial spokesman of the Alt-Righ was what directly lead to the rise of Milo) and he also worked for a blatantly anti-semitic propaganda outfit (Breitbart) for years without a single complaint. Shaprio is an amoral psychopath just like the rest of them- he just happens to keep his screeching at a slightly lower volume so that makes morons like Joe Scarborough treat him like he is a legit intellectual.

Also he is a sniveling coward who nearly poo poo himself when he provoked a transwoman who was a former Navy Seal and got just a tiny bit of what he had coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQy70_LPS4

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 29, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the Virgin Ben Shapiro has always had a fallback as a moral scold, predating and apart from the direct hatefulness of the alt-right. He was recruited as a young age to be the Youth Voice, which despite his advancing age he still tries to market. I believe I read he was doing the rounds at College Republican events just recently.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The thing I like about RWM is you don't need any kind of spin or invective to show how stupid they are.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/935588349141766145

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

boner confessor posted:

this isn't a new development, idiots with no standards and con artists who take their money have always been a thing dude

fishmech posted:

Why do you think people did in the past?

Okay, you're right. I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much in to everything.

Nevermind.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

Okay, you're right. I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much in to everything.

Nevermind.

it's definitely concerning but partisan reality denial is way older than the internet

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

boner confessor posted:

it's definitely concerning but partisan reality denial is way older than the internet

I'm not saying it isn't, but maybe it just feels more acute now. I should probably take a break from this kind of stuff for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

Uh...Ben Shapiro screeches A LOT.

I've literally never seen him on-screen where he doesn't speak like he just broke out of black site prison.

Less so than his fellow Neocon scum, I meant. I'm not familiar with everything he's done, outside of him being just another one of the terrible media personalities, who "THE LEFTIST MSM" love.

e - This is the tweet she RT'd.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/935516615877189632

Some choice quotes, in reply to my saying "Naw...he's a shithead like the rest of them."

"I completely disagree. He’s extremely intelligent and hates on trump while still being a conservative voice in my otherwise liberal echo chamber"

"Putting him with any of them is a mistake. I think you don’t like him cuz he thinks being trans is a mental disorder. But he backs his poo poo with evidence and will hold respectful debates with people on the left which is way more then what liberal hosts do." (ironic, because she's trans)

"The problem is that we’re willing to demonize any conservative under false context of “racism” because trump is a racist. Ben was the number one receiver of alt right hate mail and threats in 2016"

I stopped the argument cuz, it wasn't the place for it. But, yeah. She's falling for his persona that I called out from the word go, and got all that back.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 29, 2017