Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

BirdOfPlay posted:

What's hosed up is that Imboden had to drop out of college because of his modelling, because the NCAA would've revoked his "student athlete" status if he modeled while going to school.

Never read this, didn’t realize Race started with AFC.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

New product review for Nihonzashi Gekken Longswords is up.

I've been training with gekken for a while now and they are definitely worth checking out as a training tool.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neat! I had a couple of bouts of singlestick on Saturday night, a bit of bruising certainly adds a certain something to the play.

...Admittedly, for me the certain something was a lot of wrist-sniping from waay outta distance because holy crap do I not trust these people to chill after they get parried. :v:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Finally got a Bolognese sword of my own, one of Regenyie's models. Feels nice to be consistently training with the same weapon, as the GARS one I had couldn't be used with a Red Dragon glove.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

Finally got a Bolognese sword of my own, one of Regenyie's models. Feels nice to be consistently training with the same weapon, as the GARS one I had couldn't be used with a Red Dragon glove.

you're so :sweden: your sword was GARS

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My fencing club had a bit of fun and did some "mounted" sabre sparring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxphEi_1mI

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Mike Edelson finally released his book on cutting mechanics with the longsword. Cutting with the Medieval Sword: Theory and Application

I can attest to his cutting and martial abilities. He is well-respected in the HEMA community, and his background in cutting mechanics stems from his time as a practioner of various JSAs.

Have you read The Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570 if so what did you think?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I haven’t, but the response I’ve seen to that book has been mostly positive.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I haven’t, but the response I’ve seen to that book has been mostly positive.

I'm really embarrassed to say I've got a copy of it but didn't realise I had until I was sorting out my back room and found it this week. :blush:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I keep thinking I should get that one, because it's probably the most approachable longsword system out there.

Plus I kinda wanna get into dussack.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Is that Forgeng's translation? If so, I can recommend it. It's quite easy to read, it's got an excellent glossary, and Meyer himself is quite pedagogical in his lessons and doesn't take much for granted.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

inscrutable horse posted:

Is that Forgeng's translation? If so, I can recommend it. It's quite easy to read, it's got an excellent glossary, and Meyer himself is quite pedagogical in his lessons and doesn't take much for granted.

Yes that's right it's Forgeng's translation. I've given it a quick look and it seems very interesting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

When you start working on it, remember to read the entire thing. Stuff like tactics is scattered across the different weapons.

On a modern note, https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2w-b0l8cz/

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Siivola posted:

When you start working on it, remember to read the entire thing. Stuff like tactics is scattered across the different weapons.

On a modern note, https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2w-b0l8cz/

Pipkin!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I don't know if you've heard, but he was randomly assaulted a week or two ago and there is a GoFundMe set up to help him with his medical bills/lost income from the injuries. Not sure if it's against the rules to link it, but you should be able to find it easily on Google.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Neon Belly posted:

I don't know if you've heard, but he was randomly assaulted a week or two ago and there is a GoFundMe set up to help him with his medical bills/lost income from the injuries. Not sure if it's against the rules to link it, but you should be able to find it easily on Google.

Yeah. It's my home club so it was everywhere

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh poo poo, that sucks. :(

Also aaaaaa national foil championships aaaaaaaa :supaburn:

Edit: I'll get you one day, championship medal! :argh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 11, 2017

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wma/comments/7j2wyq/lee_smith_principal_instructor_of_blood_and_iron/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r86pARypTo

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Allegedly Smith's comments on the matter:

:catstare:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 12, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

Smith is a huge baby with a rotten attitude and has weird regressive borderline alt-righty politics. He was straight up banned from Longpoint for being a tremendous sore loser and throwing a tantrum between fights. It’s a shame that the person managing that fight was one of his own students and it was their first time as ring boss, because he should have been red carded after the first offense and disqualified after the second.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh, So Blood & Iron are local to me. Is this typical prices for HEMA classes.
http://www.bloodandiron.ca/burnaby/locations/burnaby/class-prices/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wow, $99 a month for a class a week? Mine is around $20 (£15) a month and you can go to two classes a week. Mind you my teachers are running it at cost and it isn't their source of income.

Verisimilidude posted:

Smith is a huge baby with a rotten attitude and has weird regressive borderline alt-righty politics. He was straight up banned from Longpoint for being a tremendous sore loser and throwing a tantrum between fights. It’s a shame that the person managing that fight was one of his own students and it was their first time as ring boss, because he should have been red carded after the first offense and disqualified after the second.

I'd never heard of this guy before but he seems like a bit of a dick, I've had people deliver late blows and harder than necessary blows but nothing like that.

Here is a duel from my school where the basic rules are fighters stop on any strike, and reset. But the fight does not end until a killing or incapacitating blow has been made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEbEoFrTG1M

bessantj fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 13, 2017

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I guess it depends on COL, etc. Mine is $60/month for 1 class per week, $15 per additional class (per month). I'm in a low cost of living city though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

all fighters deserve camaraderie, which is even more important since we're doing something so potentially dangerous! gently caress this dick.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, by the looks of the Head Instructor, they've got a large food bill.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

We can start reversing our shoulders again!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I am neither for or against this change, but I did see someone wreck face in the oceanic championships this year with counter/evasion-heavy play. Fine by me given the lockout timing in foil, all those shots were definitely the result of the winner leveraging some sweet distance/timing/fakeout stuff.

Does anyone still have gear with bayonet/1-pin plugs? I finally switched my stuff over to two-pin.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Last week was my SCA region's big tournament, and unlike past years, we had a whole lot of people filming it and posting them to youtube and whatever.

Which is pretty nice, but augh, now I'm just obsessively re-watching the videos I'm in and nitpicking the poo poo out of things like rolling my rear ankle, terrible dagger positioning, and why am I not even passing forward ever?

I really appreciate that people took the time to film and post everything (and we should be doing this more at local practices too) but goddamn, it's like hearing a recording of my own voice when I look at the videos and all I can think of is "I'm fighting like traaaaaaash."

Time for more drills forever, I suppose. At least my local practices have a good number of like-minded Drills Are Life folks, and not just people who want to suit up and Do Fights With Swords.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Does anyone still have gear with bayonet/1-pin plugs? I finally switched my stuff over to two-pin.

I still use bayonet

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Ho-Ho-Dooooooo!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Lol, stealing this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Buddy I already stole it, circulating these goods further is plain old...

Fencing.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
apparently the guy i learned from is #1 in the country in hema synthetic longsword. by virtue of winning two tournaments. that seems excessive

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I'm number 1 in the country in laser pointer lightsaber combat :smug:

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DandyLion posted:

I'm number 1 in the country in laser pointer lightsaber combat :smug:

with a sigh i draw my cat harasser. prepare 2 die

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cool! The world cup is coming to Vancouver.
http://vancouverworldcup.com/

I think I'll go and watch some of that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Awesome! I'm hoping to make it along to spectate some international level competition this year. Although, one of my friends is keen to go to a comp in Korea, but I'm not sure how safe that is at the moment :(

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Awesome! I'm hoping to make it along to spectate some international level competition this year. Although, one of my friends is keen to go to a comp in Korea, but I'm not sure how safe that is at the moment :(

Probably a lot safer than crossing the street in your hometown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Lee Smith eats cum