Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

When the various races interact with each other how exactly do they communicate

Bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

Ultraviolence

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Yeah I know that but I mean the non-violent encounters like Orks being recruited as mercenaries or Eldar and inquisitors talking

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goose willis posted:

Yeah I know that but I mean the non-violent encounters like Orks being recruited as mercenaries or Eldar and inquisitors talking

Well, you kind of answered your own question there?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Yeah but isn't there some massive language barrier going on there

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eldar live for millennia so, they probably know a bit of everything. Farseers need to know how to communicate with the other races, so they can do their job of protecting their Craftworld.
Dark Eldar have translators, mechanical or otherwise, to do the speaking for them since everything else is considered inferior to them and wouldn't sully themselves by speaking anything other than their own language.
Orks pick poo poo up just fine. They're good like that.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
All orks have Looted Language:
Base cost +25pts but minus 25% vowels.
And no, it is not a typo that they can upgrade the language with big shoots as they see fit..

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ineptmule posted:

Along these lines, someone round here posted a cool little thought-scenario a while back imagining an Imperial Guard commander, upon seeing an Astartes assault out of the blue, frantically getting their Wikipedia-servitor to look up the marine heraldry to try and figure out if the newcomers are friendly or not. That mental image really appealed to me.

there was a short story in one of the old old anthologies about a non-military imperial starship under attack by some kind of xenos. they're rescued mid-crisis by astartes, but as just chump imperial citizens they don't recognize the marines' heraldry until the sorcerer in what happens to be a thousand sons warband turns one of the mortals into chaos spawn for their own amusement

Artum posted:

Their original plan to beat chaos was to wipe out the most populous non-ork species in the galaxy, they rather maxed out their genocide quota.

the cabal wasn't an eldar-exclusive thing, though they did have an autarch of indeterminate craftworld on their ruling council. according to things said in the epilogue of the last Beat Arises book eldrad was aware of the cabal plot but played no part in it, for instance. and besides, humanity's easily the most genocide-prone species in the galaxy since the last time the necrons woke up, probably would've been for the best if the cabal's plan had succeeded. too bad alpharius hosed up the battle of pluto

e: as a biel-tan player myself i've decided to lean in to the 'death to the barbarians, long live the empire of ten million suns' side of things, to the extent of being willing to put my wins towards the nurgle side in the konor campaign

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 28, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

goose willis posted:

Interpretative breakdance.

Or at least that's the Orky version of universal speech.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Entropy238 posted:

If I wasn’t playing the tyranids I’d probably play the Eldar. They seem like pretty nice dudes who’ve learned from their mistakes, though I don’t really know much about the lore. Have they committed their own genocides etc ... as well after their fall?

Eldar love using guardsmen as slaves :/
...or was that Tau? Can't remember now..

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

Eldar love using guardsmen as slaves :/
...or was that Tau? Can't remember now..

T'a'u have gue'vesa. Eldar don't really need slaves.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

zeal posted:

there was a short story in one of the old old anthologies about a non-military imperial starship under attack by some kind of xenos. they're rescued mid-crisis by astartes, but as just chump imperial citizens they don't recognize the marines' heraldry until the sorcerer in what happens to be a thousand sons warband turns one of the mortals into chaos spawn for their own amusement

This is cool but Thousand Sons don’t really seem like ‘lol spawn’ kinds of guys to me.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

zeal posted:

i know an embarrassing amount of eldar lore and how it intersects with wider 40k, so

Pre age of strife humanity was also pretty ridiculous tech wise, in one of the novels theres an old earth ship that shoots at a eldar ship the farseer onboard of course predicts it and dodges, so the ai in the human ship goes gently caress no you don't and rewinds/changes the past so it can lead its shot to hit the eldar ship.

said human ship was also shooting black holes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well at the very least dark eldar love torturing everybody, and as we said before most people can't differentiate between types of space elves. Also as much as drew careys may not get along with craftworlders, they aren't like loyalists and chaos; they will team up against anybody else. Elves are super racist and think even elves they disagree with are better than humans. So when half the eldar torture you and the other half are their friends, you tend to distrust the whole lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ineptmule posted:

This is cool but Thousand Sons don’t really seem like ‘lol spawn’ kinds of guys to me.

Eh, its plenty tzeentch.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zasze posted:

Pre age of strife humanity was also pretty ridiculous tech wise, in one of the novels theres an old earth ship that shoots at a eldar ship the farseer onboard of course predicts it and dodges, so the ai in the human ship goes gently caress no you don't and rewinds/changes the past so it can lead its shot to hit the eldar ship.

this is extra humbling when you consider that pre-strife humanity was still just a footnote as far as the pre-fall eldar empire was concerned

both humans and elves have fallen a long, long way since then

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Zasze posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember that most references to Age of Strife human tech as being basically god-tier.

I can only assume that they simply weren't around long enough to make an impact on the greater galaxy, before the whole "oh poo poo, psychers can become portals for daemons" thing combined with the whole "oh poo poo, our super powerful robot slaves are murdering us" thing came together to wipe them out.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ineptmule posted:

if i were a chaos sorcerer i'd be doing that poo poo every chance i got

turning one of their fellow passengers into a sort of bony flesh-lump definitely got the rest of the mortals' attention too

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying these fluff discussions.

How powerful are each of the Chaos Gods? I know Slaanesh gets the short end of the stick in the actual game itself, but are they all of equal power to one another?

Also, will GW ever create a 5th Chaos Faction for Malice?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

zeal posted:

this is extra humbling when you consider that pre-strife humanity was still just a footnote as far as the pre-fall eldar empire was concerned

both humans and elves have fallen a long, long way since then

And yet the Orks were a thorn in both their sides.

:orks101:

'bout time for a proppa Waaagh.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

And yet the Orks were a thorn in both their sides.

:orks101:

'bout time for a proppa Waaagh.

in some ways an eldar-dominated galaxy was probably better for the orks, the eldar would've been a lot less proactive about purging them in areas away from their own empire's territory, and probably saw some merit in using the orks as deterrent or pest control against chaos-worshipping or necron-derived xenos societies. there would've been more opportunities to build up the green mass necessary for higher end waaagh manifestations like the ambassadorks and mega-bosses that show up in The Beast Arises or the unique features of Thraka's horde. when the eldar did choose to leave their shining post-scarcity paradise to burn out a potentially troublesome ork empire, those orks would've had time to build up the fightiest, dakka-est waaaghs they could after munching on other xenos a while, and they'd get to fight the fightiest and dakka-est elf construct-hosts and starships ever constructed

what a time to be green

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Corrode posted:

T'a'u have gue'vesa. Eldar don't really need slaves.

Aren't Gue'vesa slightly above just a slave. I know their options were "join the Tau empire or die" but thought that they otherwise were treated pretty well and left to operate fairly autonomously.

Side note, in game terms, what's the best way to represent gue'vesa at the moment? Do you just run them as a firewarrior team counts as or just an AM list with Tau bits? I'm not sure how closely they actually operate in the fluff with regular Tau units or if it would be ok for Gue-vesa guardsmen to jump out of a devilfish.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

ineptmule posted:

TS Sorcerer's tend to run the gamut between beaten down mopey serious dudes thinking of a bygone era and moustache twirling deamon worshipers. Ahriman himself makes a sort of heel-face flip through his different novel appearances.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mef989 posted:

Aren't Gue'vesa slightly above just a slave. I know their options were "join the Tau empire or die" but thought that they otherwise were treated pretty well and left to operate fairly autonomously.

Side note, in game terms, what's the best way to represent gue'vesa at the moment? Do you just run them as a firewarrior team counts as or just an AM list with Tau bits? I'm not sure how closely they actually operate in the fluff with regular Tau units or if it would be ok for Gue-vesa guardsmen to jump out of a devilfish.

Castration, pheromone control, probably nerve-stapling, etc.. The Imperium may be oppressive but at least they have the goddamn common courtesy to admit it, the Tau T'au have the gall to pretend to be your friend while they're doing it.

If the Imperium is 1984 the Tau T'au are Brave New World.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 28, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Who's actually in the best position to win the conflict at the moment? Tyranids? Chaos?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

zeal posted:

in some ways an eldar-dominated galaxy was probably better for the orks, the eldar would've been a lot less proactive about purging them in areas away from their own empire's territory, and probably saw some merit in using the orks as deterrent or pest control against chaos-worshipping or necron-derived xenos societies. there would've been more opportunities to build up the green mass necessary for higher end waaagh manifestations like the ambassadorks and mega-bosses that show up in The Beast Arises or the unique features of Thraka's horde. when the eldar did choose to leave their shining post-scarcity paradise to burn out a potentially troublesome ork empire, those orks would've had time to build up the fightiest, dakka-est waaaghs they could after munching on other xenos a while, and they'd get to fight the fightiest and dakka-est elf construct-hosts and starships ever constructed

what a time to be green

Depending on which version of the fluff you go with, there were Warbosses the size of Knights in those days. Need some of that back, then we can give the bugs a good stomp.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Also Tau are space Fascists and not, as commonly asserted, space Communists.

Entropy238 posted:

Who's actually in the best position to win the conflict at the moment? Tyranids? Chaos?

Tyranids. Chaos can't actually win in any meaningful sense, since destroying humans ultimately destroys them. They do best in the year 999.M41 scenario of ever-increasing war.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mef989 posted:

depends. i seem to recall some early tau fluff where they took to chemically sterilizing human populations to make them more manageable. there's also a persistently ominous feel for the way vespids have been integrated into the empire, something about mind control or at least persuasion devices in the helmets of vespid stingwing leaders.

e:

Corrode posted:

Also Tau are space Fascists and not, as commonly asserted, space Communists.

worse than either, they're space platonists. ethereals are the philosophers/head of plato's republic, fire caste is the arms, air and water caste the legs, earth caste the body. and it's just as essentially tyrannical as any actual realization of plato's republic would be

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 28, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zuul the Cat posted:

No. One of the novel writers was asked that in an interview, and he confirmed that Malal is not a thing in 40k and GW considers it something best forgotten.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
5th chaos god is the horned rat anyway

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'd settle for them making Undivided-qua-Undivided a thing again.

:sigh:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

zeal posted:

5th chaos god is the horned rat anyway

I'd be pretty down for a new race of space skaven.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

Depending on which version of the fluff you go with, there were Warbosses the size of Knights in those days. Need some of that back, then we can give the bugs a good stomp.

the megabosses in Beast Arises got up to at least dreadnought scale, and that was after just a dozen-odd centuries of uninterrupted development after the Ullanor Triumph in the Great Crusade

give the octarius orks a few centuries of nid fighting to really get the juices flowing and you're gonna see some serious waaagh

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Mef989 posted:

One of the guys at my club built a bunch of Fire Warriors with Guardsman legs and arms, but Tau torsos, guns, and helmets. We let him use them as Tau with Guardsman stats, but Tau weapons. No Bonding Knife Ritual or anything, but we let them otherwise use Tau keywords and rules (overwatch shennanigans) for most stuff.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Speaking of Orks, what's Gazghkull been up to since Armageddon?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Broken Record Talk posted:

One of the guys at my club built a bunch of Fire Warriors with Guardsman legs and arms, but Tau torsos, guns, and helmets. We let him use them as Tau with Guardsman stats, but Tau weapons. No Bonding Knife Ritual or anything, but we let them otherwise use Tau keywords and rules (overwatch shennanigans) for most stuff.

That could be cool. I've just been really wanting to convert up some gue'vesa. Had I gotten to it in 7th they would have just been an allies force, but keywords kind of stops that until FW decides to make rules again.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm enjoying these fluff discussions.

How powerful are each of the Chaos Gods? I know Slaanesh gets the short end of the stick in the actual game itself, but are they all of equal power to one another?

It depends, waxing and waning depending on factors in the material realm. At the moment Nurgle is ascendent due to Morty's attack on Ultramar while Khorne has been weakened by Angron's abortive attack on Terra.

At one point Tzeentch was more powerful than all 3 of it's siblings but they ganged up and forced Tzeentch to shatter it's staff of power. Slaanesh was pretty strong when first born but expended a lot of their power fighting the Eldar gods.

Also according to Andy Chambers' AMA on Reddit, Malal as a concept was dead and buried before he'd even got there, Malice was just a shout-out.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Mef989 posted:

That could be cool. I've just been really wanting to convert up some gue'vesa. Had I gotten to it in 7th they would have just been an allies force, but keywords kind of stops that until FW decides to make rules again.

If you play with friends, houserule it. If you play more publicly, good luck!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

The last battle fought in the milky way will be Orks versus Tyranids and will be a stalemate for hundreds of thousands of years before the bulk of the Tyranids arrive and end it. Outside of unlikely plot buffoonery that's the only end I can really envision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mef989 posted:

Speaking of Orks, what's Gazghkull been up to since Armageddon?

AFAIK, he jumped over to hang out with the Orks fighting the Nids.