Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Sephyr posted:

They were able to engineer Sranc, Wracu, skin-spies (these very recently) and other nifty stuff...so, um, no.

Yup, were. Then those guys died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Skin-spies only appeared in the last 20 years and seem more complex than doglike humanoids with Nonmen faces, so obviously the Inchoroi can still use their Tekne to creat new stuff. It'd be a workable solution, yes, but as it stands it's just fanwank,

Likewise, there is no Morgoth deal with only being able to corrupt existing life forms in this series. Sranc had Nonmen faces as a cruel joke to mess with them, not because they were made from Nonmen. Wracu aren't really made from anything.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Skin-spies only appeared in the last 20 years and seem more complex than doglike humanoids with Nonmen faces, so obviously the Inchoroi can still use their Tekne to creat new stuff. It'd be a workable solution, yes, but as it stands it's just fanwank,

Likewise, there is no Morgoth deal with only being able to corrupt existing life forms in this series. Sranc had Nonmen faces as a cruel joke to mess with them, not because they were made from Nonmen. Wracu aren't really made from anything.

Also for Wracu, they are not of one specific shape. The ones we encounter in the last series are all described as having different shapes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Nah, Skinspies are several hundred years old. They were the reason the Mandate were groping in the dark. But Skinspies were the only piece of bio engineering done since Sil died, as far as we know.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

Nah, Skinspies are several hundred years old. They were the reason the Mandate were groping in the dark. But Skinspies were the only piece of bio engineering done since Sil died, as far as we know.

Considering all that sneaky bullshit that happened during/before the first apocalypse, I'm now not so sure that was just common human stupidity + infighting anymore. Maybe they had skinspies all along, which would explain all those acts of "treason" hampering the first crusade against the Consult.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The human member(s) of the Consult might have been responsible for helping develop the skin spies as they mastered it and brought a new perspective.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
It's been awhile since I've read The Thousandfold Thought, but isn't Moenghus the one to address that the skin-spies are a new-ish invention?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mukulu posted:

It's been awhile since I've read The Thousandfold Thought, but isn't Moenghus the one to address that the skin-spies are a new-ish invention?

To be fair all of the Dûnyain are full of poo poo.

Due to their nature I'm not sure how you'd know when they were invented, only when they were first recognized to exist.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

To be fair all of the Dûnyain are full of poo poo.

Due to their nature I'm not sure how you'd know when they were invented, only when they were first recognized to exist.

Moenghus mentions finding them through vocal dissonances, so we can infer that they arrived in Kian after he was blinded in his botched magical training. If they'd come around when he still had sight, he'd have spotted them even earlier.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I've really enjoyed listening to the audiobooks.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Didn't Akka have a capital d Dream where someone turned out to be a skinspy?

Sephyr posted:

They were able to engineer Sranc, Wracu, skin-spies (these very recently) and other nifty stuff...so, um, no.

Also not-smaug says that he took part in the genocide of other worlds and was the first being to leave the ship. Whatever spawns the Wracu wasn't made by the Inchoroi. Bashrag on the other hand seem recent. And kind of crude in comparison.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 5, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How is the pacing of the last two books? I just finished White-Luck Warrior and it felt really slow compared to all of the previous books.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It improves a bit. WLW is the low point of the series in that regard. The other books have issues with repetition and hammering points home past the point of sense, but they move mostly alright.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Anyone know anything about the sequel series other than it's about the No-God obviously?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Amuys posted:

Anyone know anything about the sequel series other than it's about the No-God obviously?

I don’t even Bakker knows so there is that.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Amuys posted:

We're all pretty sure it'll have death swirling down.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sephyr posted:

We're all pretty sure it'll have death swirling down.

Death will not swirl down, Daniel Jackson. It will in fact swirl up.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Death will not swirl down, Daniel Jackson. It will in fact swirl up.

Because it is a whirlwind?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cardiac posted:

Because it is a whirlwind?

Depending on which hemisphere of earwa you are on death swirls in a different direction

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Amuys posted:

There've been claims that the first book will focus on Crabicus(The Dunyain Boy) and that there will be non-linear stories included. Kosotor is "not done" and neither is Kellhus.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Amuys posted:

I just finished TUC a few days ago and spent some time reading the various fan forums, here's what I picked up (some of which has already been posted):

- It will be called The No-God
- Bakker is envisioning 2-3 books
- Bakker doesn't have a ton planned. His original plan for the series, which he apparently thought up at least in broad strokes decades ago, ended where TUC ends.
- The first book may focus on the crab-handed kid, or may be a collection of short stories, or both?
- Kellhus is "dead but not done." Ajokli can't find him or doesn't know where he is or something like that.
- Bakker may be considering a prequel novel set prior to TDTCB

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Bold Robot posted:

- Bakker may be considering a prequel novel set prior to TDTCB

Look, guys, I don't know if I made it clear, but the dog was REALLY shaggy

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I mean, I think the finale here was deeply flawed, but I will respect Bakker vastly more as an author if he has the balls to can any further sequels and stick with the narrative of his original vision.

I'm really loving sick of series bloat for $$$ these days.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Rime posted:

I mean, I think the finale here was deeply flawed, but I will respect Bakker vastly more as an author if he has the balls to can any further sequels and stick with the narrative of his original vision.

I'm really loving sick of series bloat for $$$ these days.

poo poo, yes. I can't really say when the acceptable format for telling a story went from 'trilogy' to ENTIRE BOOKSHELF, but it needs to be dialed back fast.

This last book finished the job of killing my investment in the story, so it would be fitting if it was also the last one. Can't really find it in myself to care for a prequel, sequel or midquel after 6 volumes of high-minded grimdark wanking.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sephyr posted:

poo poo, yes. I can't really say when the acceptable format for telling a story went from 'trilogy' to ENTIRE BOOKSHELF, but it needs to be dialed back fast.

This last book finished the job of killing my investment in the story, so it would be fitting if it was also the last one. Can't really find it in myself to care for a prequel, sequel or midquel after 6 volumes of high-minded grimdark wanking.

I was reading the series largely for high-minded grimdark wanking, so was somewhat disappointing that halfway through TUC it turned into just plain grimdark wanking.

I feel a bit like I did at the end of Lost - yeah it was an emotional ride, but there's nothing to tickle my intellect, because all the questions and philosophy just got discarded. What was the zero god? Can damnation be averted? Is The God actually benevolent after all? Will anyone actually respect Saubon?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Microwaved food is a-ok by me.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The nonman that Kellhus fights at the very start of the series is the same nonman he fights a couple times during the big battle in TUC, right (Mekeretrig or whatever)? It seems like that nonman is a pretty high-ranking/important dude in the Consult, why is he wandering around in the middle of nowhere at the start of the series?

I know there isn't going to be a satisfying answer and the number of "wait what's the deal with..." questions that will forever remain unanswered is high, but this one seems especially weird.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 28, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wanted them to go to atrithau at some point - it's weird that there's a settled city way in the north and no one bothers stopping by. It's pretty interesting that magic doesn't work there and I want to know why.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

The nonman that Kellhus fights at the very start of the series is the same nonman he fights a couple times during the big battle in TUC, right (Mekeretrig or whatever)? It seems like that nonman is a pretty high-ranking/important dude in the Consult, why is he wandering around in the middle of nowhere at the start of the series?

I know there isn't going to be a satisfying answer and the number of "wait what's the deal with..." questions that will forever remain unanswered is high, but this one seems especially weird.

I got the impression that the Erratics are too...erratic to be properly involved in the Consult. They only really joined in when all the fighting started, and were probably happily doing their own thing before then. Mek's as crazy as the rest, not that odd that he'd be wandering around doing weird poo poo in ruins. Especially as all that territory is swarming with Sranc, he's basically in the Consult's backyard.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Don’t they all sort of wander out and get killed for no reason in TUC? If they’d just waited a few hours they’d have a good shot at salvation instead of (probably?) eternal torment. Sad!

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Will anyone actually respect Saubon?

Pretty sure a lot of people respected him. Proyas was the one with that issue, except with his own men.

Poor Proyas. :(

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pleiades posted:

Pretty sure a lot of people respected him. Proyas was the one with that issue, except with his own men.

Poor Proyas. :(

It's reaaaaaaaall weird to go back to the original series now and be like "oh yeah, this ninny-prince is going to be ravenously loving some dudes rotting radioactive eyesockets in about 40 years." :stare:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

It's reaaaaaaaall weird to go back to the original series now and be like "oh yeah, this ninny-prince is going to be ravenously loving some dudes rotting radioactive eyesockets in about 40 years." :stare:

What a charming series.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Don’t they all sort of wander out and get killed for no reason in TUC? If they’d just waited a few hours they’d have a good shot at salvation instead of (probably?) eternal torment. Sad!

Crap, I hadn't even thought of that. Instead of trying to attack him, they should have just invited him in to look at the Inverse Fire thing. Sure, it ddn't work, but they didn't know that; in their experience everyone who looked upon it converted. and if it failed, well, they'd have more bigshots to try and contain the aftermath.

But yeah, comparing it to Lost is pretty appropriate. Mimara gets the role of WAAALLLLTTTT! as someone supposed to be of cosmic importance t the plot who just vanishes like a fart in a hurricane.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Rime posted:

Yea, that and getting raped in every way possible and then hung out to dry by the person he thought was the God of Gods. :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Rime posted:

Can we change the title to 'better than loving a hole in a radioactive corpse' yet

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pleiades posted:

Yea, that and getting raped in every way possible and then hung out to dry by the person he thought was the God of Gods. :(

Not an uncommon trend throughout our own history, when you think about it.

:thunk:

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Very true, Rime.

Speaking of radio active corpses, now that I think about it, maybe it would have been more fitting if SAUBON got nommed by Proyas instead of Sibuwal. I think it would have been deliciously fitting.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

Crap, I hadn't even thought of that. Instead of trying to attack him, they should have just invited him in to look at the Inverse Fire thing. Sure, it ddn't work, but they didn't know that; in their experience everyone who looked upon it converted. and if it failed, well, they'd have more bigshots to try and contain the aftermath.

But yeah, comparing it to Lost is pretty appropriate. Mimara gets the role of WAAALLLLTTTT! as someone supposed to be of cosmic importance t the plot who just vanishes like a fart in a hurricane.

The Dunyain probably wanted them culled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Syzygy Stardust posted:

The Dunyain probably wanted them culled.

So why not just kill them? They got rid of the coolest evil sorcerer we never got to see, I doubt they couldn't off a few Erratics. Also, suppose Kellhus was having an off day and one of them managed a lucky hit and killed him. Ooops, no more No-God!

Fan-wankery to cover up needless complexity/senselessness is still wankery.