Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Deified Data posted:

The last battle fought in the milky way will be Orks versus Tyranids and will be a stalemate for hundreds of thousands of years before the bulk of the Tyranids arrive and end it. Outside of unlikely plot buffoonery that's the only end I can really envision.

They are going to Deus Ex Machina the poo poo out of that for the Imperium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember that most references to Age of Strife human tech as being basically god-tier.

I can only assume that they simply weren't around long enough to make an impact on the greater galaxy, before the whole "oh poo poo, psychers can become portals for daemons" thing combined with the whole "oh poo poo, our super powerful robot slaves are murdering us" thing came together to wipe them out.

They colonized thousands of worlds and left remnants of their tech everywhere. When the Emperor set out on his great crusade, its focus was basically reclaiming the worlds that had been lost since the Age of Strife.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SteelMentor posted:

It depends, waxing and waning depending on factors in the material realm. At the moment Nurgle is ascendent due to Morty's attack on Ultramar while Khorne has been weakened by Angron's abortive attack on Terra.

what was this? something that happened in the jump from 7th to 8th?

SteelMentor posted:

At one point Tzeentch was more powerful than all 3 of it's siblings but they ganged up and forced Tzeentch to shatter it's staff of power. Slaanesh was pretty strong when first born but expended a lot of their power fighting the Eldar gods.

for the thread, the bolded part is why craftworld players can still field the avatar.

though slaanesh managed to devour most of the eldar gods immediately (asuryan the king, kurnous the hunter etc.) she missed or outright failed to devour a few. isha, the mother, goddess of healing and fertility, fled into the warp where she was shanghai'd by nurgle. he still keeps her there, testing his new plagues against her boundless capacity for healing and regeneration. she's quite insane by 'now' as a result. i honestly hoped the fluff surrounding the konor campaign would touch on this, with the ynnari and harlequins leading a strike into the garden of nurgle itself to assassinate the insane, defiled modern isha to reincarnate her through ynnead as a renewed eldar fertility goddess, an isis to ynnead's osiris, but as far as i know nothing in that vein has materialized

as was mentioned elsewhere cegorach, the laughing god and patron of the harlequins, led slaanesh on a merry chase through the webway and got away clean

morai-heg, the crone, may still exist in the webway like cegorach, as patroness of the in-setting Black Library

but khaine, god of war and murder, he didn't run. wasn't in his constitution. he fought slaanesh till he was torn to pieces, and those pieces came to rest in the wraithbone cores of the several craftworlds. his fight exhausted slaanesh, which probably played a significant role in the escapes of both the other surviving eldar gods and the craftworld/exodite elements of the post-fall eldar species. all this is especially ironic since khaine was always the black sheep of the eldar pantheon responsible for murdering the greatest mythical eldar hero, eldanesh

e: one of the more interesting touches in the early horus heresy novels, more me, is the use of the laer, the xenos species fulgrim's still-loyalist emperor's children fight at the start of his eponymous novel. in the brief span between the fall of the eldar and the apex of the great crusade the laer managed to fall as a species into the worship of slaanesh, to the point that they were full-blown servants of the dark gods by the time the emperor's children descended upon them. fulgrim's boys annihilated the laer, but relics of their slaaneshi civilization show up throughout the horus heresy. alpharius uses a laer close combat weapon given to him by horus, etc.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 28, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

I don't know that it was attached to angron, but when the astronomicon went out a bunch of khorne deamons attacked the imperial palace, stopped by the custodes/sisters of silence with a little help from bobby g. I don't know if it was in the gathering storm sourcebooks, but it was in "The Emperor's Legion"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

zeal posted:

Sort of. Between the Fall of Cadia and the "present day" 8 Bloodthirsters and an assload of other Khornate Daemons assault Terra but are thrown back by the Fists/Custodes/Silent Sisters/whatever other Imperial forces were in the area. This inspires Angron and the WE to try their own, but I don't know if that's happened yet.

Also: A preview of the House Orlock models:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnNybAu6Tw

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheChirurgeon posted:

They colonized thousands of worlds and left remnants of their tech everywhere. When the Emperor set out on his great crusade, its focus was basically reclaiming the worlds that had been lost since the Age of Strife.

Yeah, I know those come up a lot in the HH books. Is there a good map of where some of those worlds fall in the galaxy as a whole? I've seen a million maps of the 40k universe, but never come across one that covers the locations of important worlds of the 30k timeline.

I assume any conflicting accounts of the size and locations of the pre-Fall Eldar empire v the Age of Strife human regions can be attributed to bad records and the Elves being drat dirty liars in need of purging?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Deified Data posted:

The last battle fought in the milky way will be Orks versus Tyranids and will be a stalemate for hundreds of thousands of years before the bulk of the Tyranids arrive and end it. Outside of unlikely plot buffoonery that's the only end I can really envision.

It better be soon. Ghazghkull's headed to Octarius, and if that mad bastard learns to fiight Tyranids, you're gonna have to wake up all the Tomb Worlds to keep him entertained after.

"I'm da hand of Gork and Mork, dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill ‘cos da boyz forgot what dere ‘ere for. I woz one of da boyz till da godz smashed me in da ‘ead an’ I ‘membered dat Orks is meant to conquer and make slaves of everyfing they don’t kill.

I’m da profit of da Waaagh an’ whole worlds burn in my boot prints. On Armour-Geddem, I led da boyz through da fire deserts and smashed da humies’ metal cities to scrap. I fought Yarik, old one-eye at Tarturus, an’ he fought good but we smashed iz city too.

I’m death to anyfing dat walks or crawls, where I go nothin’ stands in my way. We crushed da stunties on Golgotha, an’ we caught old one-eye when da speed freeks blew da humies’ big tanks ta bits. I let ‘im go ‘cause good enemies iz ‘ard to find, an Orks need enemies ta fight like they need meat ta eat an’ grog ta drink.

I iz more cunnin’ than a grot an’ more killy than a dread, da boyz dat follow me can’t be beat.

On Pissenah we jumped da marine-boyz an’ our bosspoles was covered in da helmets we took from da dead ‘uns. We burned dere port an’ killed dere bosses an’ left nothin’ but ruins behind.

I’m Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an’ I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp da ‘ooniverse flat an’ kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz’ we’re Orks an’ we was made ta fight an’ win!"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Liquid Communism posted:

It better be soon. Ghazghkull's headed to Octarius, and if that mad bastard learns to fiight Tyranids, you're gonna have to wake up all the Tomb Worlds to keep him entertained after.

"I'm da hand of Gork and Mork, dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill ‘cos da boyz forgot what dere ‘ere for. I woz one of da boyz till da godz smashed me in da ‘ead an’ I ‘membered dat Orks is meant to conquer and make slaves of everyfing they don’t kill.

I’m da profit of da Waaagh an’ whole worlds burn in my boot prints. On Armour-Geddem, I led da boyz through da fire deserts and smashed da humies’ metal cities to scrap. I fought Yarik, old one-eye at Tarturus, an’ he fought good but we smashed iz city too.

I’m death to anyfing dat walks or crawls, where I go nothin’ stands in my way. We crushed da stunties on Golgotha, an’ we caught old one-eye when da speed freeks blew da humies’ big tanks ta bits. I let ‘im go ‘cause good enemies iz ‘ard to find, an Orks need enemies ta fight like they need meat ta eat an’ grog ta drink.

I iz more cunnin’ than a grot an’ more killy than a dread, da boyz dat follow me can’t be beat.

On Pissenah we jumped da marine-boyz an’ our bosspoles was covered in da helmets we took from da dead ‘uns. We burned dere port an’ killed dere bosses an’ left nothin’ but ruins behind.

I’m Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an’ I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp da ‘ooniverse flat an’ kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz’ we’re Orks an’ we was made ta fight an’ win!"

I have the strangest erection right now.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It never feels right that they condensed his name.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Schadenboner posted:

It gets better.

That was written, in legible Gothic, on the side of a dead Titan.

Yarrik met him, and he can speak High Gothic. Ghazzy's a brainboy. His full name is Ghazghull Mag Uruk Thraka, which was The Beast's title.

Mag Uruk Thraka means 'I am slaughter'. :orks101:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Are you able to clear up the ambiguity/duality of Khaine/Khorne? I’ve never understood that, two gods of war with extremely similar names.

Also,

Schadenboner posted:

Obligatory Username/Post Combo recognition.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 28, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ineptmule posted:

Are you able to clear up the ambiguity/duality of Khaine/Khorne? I’ve never understood that, two gods of war with extremely similar names.

Khaine is an Eldar God. Khorne is a Chaos God.

They both seem to revel in violence and slaughter. So one can't help but wonder if one the Eldar's few remaining gods isn't actually an aspect of Khorne.

Maybe Slaanesh wasn't the first Chaos God borne of the Eldar.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deified Data posted:

You forget that there are Orks in other galaxies. By the time the bulk of the Tyranids arrive the collective psychic beacon of all that fighting will summon an Intergalaktik WAAAGH!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The lore for this game absolutely owns. I've just spent about 2-3 hours going down wiki holes reading poo poo. Everything is so well fleshed out and imaginative - obviously derivative of other works in many ways but the way it all fits together is really nice.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So what do we think the clan traits are going to be when they finally release Orks?

I'm :pray:ing that Blood Axes get something like "Dead Sneeky" and the Raven Guard ability.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Bit late for the "who would ultimately win chat", but for me there's two options.

1. I might be biased, but Necrons. They have a mastery over technology and science that beats even golda age humanity, and can rebuild their armies in perpetuity. Should the galaxy get sufficiently hosed they can return to sleep on airless and resource-less worlds and just wait wait the organic fuckers out, and then wake up to rule a dead and barren galaxy, their hope to return themselves to flesh forever lost, like the bitter electronic old men that they are.

2. It'll come down to Orks and Tyranids. Eventually the main bulk of the 'nids will arrive and eat the Orks.
Then, soon after, the demise of the last Ork, the hive mind will have the inexplicable urge to colour their fexes and bio titans red to make then faster, and the Orks will finally have won.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It gets better.

That was written, in legible Gothic, on the side of a dead Titan.

Yarrik met him, and he can speak High Gothic. Ghazzy's a brainboy. His full name is Ghazghull Mag Uruk Thraka, which was The Beast's title.

Mag Uruk Thraka means 'I am slaughter'. :orks101:

That feels like the weirdest justification for a really silly joke.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

That feels like the weirdest justification for a really silly joke.

The late 70s and early 80s were not particularly happy times in the UK?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

They are going to Deus Ex Machina the poo poo out of that for the Imperium

Oh no doubt, but at least we're protected from that eventuality by how slowly the plot creeps forward.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
No matter what, the Orks will win in the end, at least by their standards. If they win, they win. If they lose, they got to fight the best fight possible, so they still win. :orks101:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

2. It'll come down to Orks and Tyranids. Eventually the main bulk of the 'nids will arrive and eat the Orks.
Then, soon after, the demise of the last Ork, the hive mind will have the inexplicable urge to colour their fexes and bio titans red to make then faster, and the Orks will finally have won.

I approve this outcome.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
When the end times was happening my group was talking about how to save the galaxy from an ork/bug brodown for all time and I was hoping for the emperor to wake up and just move the galaxy way the gently caress away from the bug swarm with some sort of living god level gate of infinity.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ineptmule posted:

it's a thorny question, which i know is why you're asking. the other three chaos gods existed in the forms we recognize before Slaanesh, probably (Lorgar's tutors in daemonology, Erebus and Kor Phaeron, mention the Big Three when they reference secret pre-imperial scriptures from Colchis), though their daemons and daemon-avatars would've been even less anthropomorphic before humans became the dominant galactic species. so pre-fall khaine coexisted with pre-fall khorne, and both share a lot of qualities/would've drawn power from very similar emotions and practices. at what point do they stop being distinguishable as separate entities though?

I look at it like this: the whole basis of eldar spirituality before the fall was their functional immortality. when an eldar died their soul went to the realms of the eldar gods in the warp, where they lingered a while before being reincarnated in newly born eldar bodies, more or less retaining their personalities between material lives. this is how the eldar were supposed to function going all the way back to the War in Heaven between the old ones and the necrons/c'tan, when the eldar were originally engineered as biological weapons to fight the necrons (specialized psychic shock troops to compliment the guerrilla tenacity of the (kr)orks): they didn't fear death, because it was very much not the end for them. by the same token, the warp was not supposed to be a scary place for the eldar. it was the realm of the gods, to which they all returned periodically between lives. i'd argue the eldar gods were either warp-constructs of the old ones designed to guide and protect the eldar weapon project, or entities willed into being in the warp by the collective emotion and belief of the eldar themselves, but either way khaine remains a separate entity from khorne, drawing on the emotions of anger, bloodlust and revenge of the eldar specifically rather than feeding on every jolt of those emotions that bleeds into the warp. in his shattered state khaine gains no strength from human bloodlust, and inspires only fear in humans his avatars encounter rather than inflaming them the way the avatar's presence does to eldar. i'd imagine pre-fall, pre-pleasure cult eldar would've considered the khorne entity the wild agglomeration of the barbarian races' hate and anger, a fitting opponent for khaine in the eldar gods' struggles against capital C Chaos to secure their warp realm against the Big Three. during the height of the eldar empire khaine may have been the more powerful warp entity between the two. he and the other traditional gods were definitely and critically weakened by the rise of the late imperial pleasure cult, which is largely why slaanesh was able to gobble most of them up so easily. khaine at the height of his power probably could have held out against slaanesh, or at least avoided shattering, as he held tough against the c'tan in the war in heaven, and the Big Three in the ages that followed. khaine after several thousand years of corrosive pleasure cult dominance of eldar society, though, could only fight till he shattered, which may still prove to be enough if the Ynnead gambit pays off

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Naramyth posted:

When the end times was happening my group was talking about how to save the galaxy from an ork/bug brodown for all time and I was hoping for the emperor to wake up and just move the galaxy way the gently caress away from the bug swarm with some sort of living god level gate of infinity.

40k aint the Simpsons.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

a lot of necron lords will feel right at home fighting Beast Arises-grade orks. if anything the krork were even scarier during the War in Heaven, when all their latent waaagh-evolution potential was activated all the time

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

40k aint the Simpsons.

But isn't the Emperor supposed to be super smrt?

Edit: I mean, smart.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb question, just getting back into the hobby... Chaos Land Raiders seem to be out of stock on GW's website. I searched a few other third party websites and couldn't find any results -- TWS sand others only carry a vanilla SM Land Raider.

What gives? I guess I could just buy a regular one and green stuff it to be sufficiently Nurgley and no one will care, but...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
X-Posting this from the Spec Games thread since this is a little bit higher volume:

So would it be unforgivably snowflaky to head-cannon the Eschers secretly being used as a gladiatorial training school by the Drew Carey Dark Eldar?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sab669 posted:

Dumb question, just getting back into the hobby... Chaos Land Raiders seem to be out of stock on GW's website. I searched a few other third party websites and couldn't find any results -- TWS sand others only carry a vanilla SM Land Raider.

What gives? I guess I could just buy a regular one and green stuff it to be sufficiently Nurgley and no one will care, but...

The Chaos Land Raider is just a SM land raider with a Chaos sprue of extra crap to put on it. The only Nurgle bits in there are a couple of icons that can be glued to it

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty sure the one you're seeing is the crusader/redeemer kit, not the regular kit with lascannons (which is the only option that chaos can use). According to my FLGS GW hasn't been shipping the regular raiders to people for a while, and they're out of stock on the GW store too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Chaos Land Raider is just a SM land raider with a Chaos sprue of extra crap to put on it. The only Nurgle bits in there are a couple of icons that can be glued to it

On the plus side you can probably eBay the mounted twin assault cannon for tons of money.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Schadenboner posted:

So would it be unforgivably snowflaky to head-cannon the Eschers secretly being used as a gladiatorial training school by the Drew Carey Dark Eldar?

Even if they didn't consider humans infinitely below them, this would be like a samurai watching Bumfights DVDs for pointers.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Even if they didn't consider humans infinitely below them, this would be like a samurai watching Bumfights DVDs for pointers.

Whatever happened to Bumfights? I feel like it could really stand to make a resurgence in the modern media landscape.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner posted:

X-Posting this from the Spec Games thread since this is a little bit higher volume:

ain't no self-respecting wych cult stooping to training human slave gladiators, as has been said, but a veteran escher ganger is the kind of opponent deldar would usually rather capture alive if possible, to exploit their capacity for experiencing and generating pain in the arena. an escher gang run on the principles of a gang member who was abducted by the dark eldar, survived the fighting pits of commoragh a while, and managed to escape the dark city (as sometimes occasionally happens) and get back to necromunda though the webway, though, that could be a cool premise for a warband

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

zeal posted:

ain't no self-respecting wych cult stooping to training human slave gladiators, as has been said, but a veteran escher ganger is the kind of opponent deldar would usually rather capture alive if possible, to exploit their capacity for experiencing and generating pain in the arena. an escher gang run on the principles of a gang member who was abducted by the dark eldar, survived the fighting pits of commoragh a while, and managed to escape the dark city (as sometimes occasionally happens) and get back to necromunda though the webway, though, that could be a cool premise for a warband

They could go under a pseudonym that nods to their experience with the dark Eldar. Surely, the dread name Drew Carey will instill fear into your enemy's hearts!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
you've got to admit though, making it out of commoragh and going back to necromunda would be a real anticlimax for that hypothetical character. she should've joined a rogue trader's retinue, made some real bank

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PierreTheMime posted:

They could go under a pseudonym that nods to their experience with the dark Eldar. Surely, the dread name Drew Carey Mimi will instill fear into your enemy's hearts!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I almost thought if you coverted up some cool looking skimmers and painted them rusty like Ork vehicles you could almost do up a Mad Max style gang to count as wyche cult. I wouldn't think it would mix mesh though with real Dark Eldat

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Schadenboner posted:

Dark Eldar consorting with hive gangers for training? No. For entertainment? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Legit, a Dark Eldar gang that acts like the Spyers (small, super elite murder machines) would be a cool WD list.