Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I mean I can't wait to see the trailer and I'll probably watch it a million times, but do people really post reaction vids to trailers on YT? :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Why do people get so hyped though? I mean I like the marvel movies but most of them are very lukewarm experiences and mediocre movies. There's really nothing there to get hyped about

The first avengers was cool because I had not seen anything like that before (tons of main characters from their own movies coming together in one movie etc) but now it's old hat

Spider-Man is one of the top three most popular superheroes ever and the debut of a new Spider-Man actually appearing alongside other superheroes is something that had been an incredibly long time coming and something a lot of people wanted to see. It's not really complex.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i like seeing my toys come to life

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Clark should have let those kids on that bus drown. Then as Clark walks away, it slowly pans over to show that this has all been witnessed by a disgusted and disappointed Phil Collins.

*drumming intensifies*

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I mean I can't wait to see the trailer and I'll probably watch it a million times, but do people really post reaction vids to trailers on YT? :staredog:

It's a living, dawg. Be a charismatic personality, find a niche people like mixed with your persona and bam, you just gotta pull a 1-3 minute performance of you reacting to a video-something people like and you got rent paid.

I'm excited. I'm the guy who blew up when Spider-man showed up in the Civil War trailer. All they need to do is put one of the moneyshots for this "seventeen movies in the making" film and i'll be tweeting about it hard.

Or have Peter get a fish out of water moment. "Captain America is real and alive?! THERE'S A NEW JURASSIC PARK MOVIE?!"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

Reaction videos are approximately half the content on YouTube.

The other half are badly made animations of Mickey Mouse making Elsa drink his piss.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People can't feel anything anymore so they gotta watch other people fake feelings

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Zzulu posted:

Why do people get so hyped though?

Because it feels good to be excited for something. It's an intensely positive feeling, one shared by the popular culture and that's incredibly powerful for social creatures like us. I don't get reaction videos by and large, though John Boyega's reaction to the Force Awakens trailer was amazing, but people seem to really dig them and who am I to decry a simple pleasure?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Reaction videos can be fun depending on what they're watching. Namely that trailer for TMNT in Injustice 2.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

He tells young Clark that he doesn't have to save everyone, and shouldn't, because his identity is more important than saving kids after he does the bus thing and nearly blows his cover. Which is the exact same as murdering them, since Superman can (through no risk to his own safety) save people, say, stuck in a sinking bus trivially. Like, that's what murder is: enabling death through your own (in)action.

I think you need to take a breath.

And take this to the CinEd thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shageletic posted:

I think you need to take a breath.

And take this to the CinEd thread.

Wow what a jared Leto joker response

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

irlZaphod posted:

Whoa there champ. Sure, it's some pretty bad advice from Pa Kent in a Superman film, but that's a very shaky definition of murder.

If you had a button that would kill any single person in the world, if you pressed it, would that be murder?

If so, if you had a button that would save any single person in the world who was about to die, and you didn't press it, would that be murder?

This is actually the exact same scenario. In both cases, you are making a choice, and as a direct result of that choice someone dies. Inaction is inherently a choice. You are choosing not to choose. Just because you "didn't do anything" doesn't negate the fact that, as a direct result of your actions, someone died.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 28, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

If you had a button that could kill any single person in the world, if you pressed it, would that be murder?

If so, if you had a button that would save any single person in the world who was about to die, and you didn't press it, would that be murder?

This is actually the exact same scenario. In both cases, you are making a choice, and at the end of that choice someone dies. Inaction is inherently a choice. You are choosing not to choose. Just because you "didn't do anything" doesn't negate the fact that, as a direct result of your actions, someone died.

Do we get to know who the people are or are they anonymous?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

Do we get to know who the people are or are they anonymous?

They are tied to train tracks, 4 on one side, one on the other

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

It would be weird if Angela was dating her niece.

That would hardly be the weirdest thing out of mythology. (Or mythology-adjace, as it is)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm pressing the god damned button

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I want to mash the buttons like a fighting game

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are the rest of the unreleased MCU films. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is a good DC movie that isn’t Wonder Woman and also Jared Leto tied up on the side track. You have two options:

1. Do nothing, and the trolley kills the unreleased MCU films on the main track.

2. Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill the good DC movie that isn’t Wonder Woman and also Jared Leto.

Which is the most ethical choice? In either scenario, the studio recasts Movie!Iris.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like this isn't even a hypothetical or a thought experiment: We have both Good Samaritan and Duty to rescue laws, which prevent people from being held liable or charged with wrongful death for providing assistance to others, and require first responders and emergency personnel to provide as much assistance as possible, at the risky of being civilly or even criminally charged, to people in life-threatening situations, respectively. The general outlook of society is that people who can help others have the obligation to do so. Now let's reflect that back on Superman, who is ostensibly the very best elements of humanity made manifest in a single person, and it overimpresses how absolutely hosed up on every level Clark Kent's father telling him to let children die is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good thing he didn't tell him that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So what you're telling me, is that Justice League 2 will be a DC rendition of the Seinfeld finale?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So what you're telling me, is that Justice League 2 will be a DC rendition of the Seinfeld finale?

This except I think Superman should turn into the ethics teacher from The Good Place and anxiously overthink himself into inaction because he can’t decide what the right thing to do is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pa Kent cares more about protecting his son from the world than his son protecting the world. That's good characterization. He just doesn't want to lose his son. And he shows his real values in the tornado scene.

Seriously, he even goes "yes no... I don't know" when answering Clark's question because he's clearly conflicted over the subject; how he feels that Clark should absolutely help vs. the possibility that his interference might lead to Clark being outed/being taken by the government/etc. People treat it like he just goes "Clark the next time a bus goes down I want you to personally drown every child or you are grounded, young man". MoS is not a perfect film by any means, but that is one of the points where I have never understood the outrage. (The tornado scene deserves all of the ire the internet pours on it though)

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Only if Michael Shannon's reanimated corpse gets to be Newman.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 28, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They are tied to train tracks, 4 on one side, one on the other

I got this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

That would hardly be the weirdest thing out of mythology. (Or mythology-adjace, as it is)

They haven't shown what Loki does in his off time, so he may have been getting his dick stuck in a goats mouth.

fruit on the bottom posted:

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are the rest of the unreleased MCU films. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is a good DC movie that isn’t Wonder Woman and also Jared Leto tied up on the side track. You have two options:

1. Do nothing, and the trolley kills the unreleased MCU films on the main track.

2. Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill the good DC movie that isn’t Wonder Woman and also Jared Leto.

Which is the most ethical choice? In either scenario, the studio recasts Movie!Iris.

Kill Jared Leto. Aquaman being good is worth the sacrifice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

fruit on the bottom posted:

Option 3: Multi-track drifting

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Why do people get so hyped though? I mean I like the marvel movies but most of them are very lukewarm experiences and mediocre movies. There's really nothing there to get hyped about

The first avengers was cool because I had not seen anything like that before (tons of main characters from their own movies coming together in one movie etc) but now it's old hat

Because the Marvel films are actually fun experiences and good movies, no matter how loud some nerds on the internet shout that they aren't.

Plus Infinity War is taking things up another notch and not only having a crossover between characters from their own movies, but groups from their own movies. The Guardians meeting the Avengers meeting Dr. Strange meeting Spider-Man in film is incredible.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Pa Kent is a flawed character. His love for his adopted son and his somewhat pessimistic view of humanity result in him valuing his son's anonymity and potential over the lives of a bus full of children. Pa Kent believes Superman becoming known prematurely would harm his ability to help people in the future. To him, a bus full of waterlogged corpses is a small price to pay for a potential savior.

Contrast that against that against Jor-EL's view that Supes will be the light and the guide, etc. If you take Pa Kent's behavior out of context, he comes across as a supreme rear end in a top hat. But I can't say that he's wrong in the context of the entire movie. And the brooding DCEU superman flows logically from these two father figures. Because of this, it's very easy to understand why people can say "Not my Superman." I think it's an interesting take on the character, but that's just me. If nothing else, it was a risk to base the DCEU off of this version.

The tornado thing is loving stupid though. As someone said earlier, that scene could've been done a lot better while still conveying the same message.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't tend to get hyped for movies any more. The only recent movie I've gotten really, really super hyped for was The Force Awakens.

When I was little I would get mega hyped for every dumb action movie (I can give you a list) but then nine times out of ten didn't actually go to see them. I think I got it all out of my system between Phantom Menace (the movie I was more hyped for than anything before or since) and LXG (the last movie I remember getting super enthusiastic about like that which I actually did drag my dad to the cinema to watch).

I don't know if I miss getting that way or not. I imagine it must have driven my parents to distraction.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

But I can't say that he's wrong in the context of the entire movie.

But the movie itself does.

Superman hiding himself is shown to be a mistake. It is why BvS opens up with "The day the world became aware of Superman" being a horrifying disaster and destruction. Superman hid himself and in doing so he denied the world the chance to know him for who he was before he was forced into the open in such a way that it ended up creating his enemy in Batman. In comparison (and especially with Justice League taken into account, but even just using BvS), the idea of hiding oneself is shown to be flawed. Diana, Cyborg, and the others all do better when they openly declare themselves to the world and are open and honest about who they are.

Even in BvS, the flaw Superman has is that he is too hidden and secret and uncommunicative and the eventual successes he has (or almost has which fail for reasons not his own fault) are in being open.

Taking the whole trilogy, even just the parts obviously Snyder in JL, Pa Kent was 100% wrong and got his son killed. Had the day Superman appeared not been a disaster he may never have died in the first place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna try to avoid the Infinity War trailer because nothing good comes from trying to pre-experience a movie, I'll just be denying myself the surprise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Going to have to wake up early to watch it with my kid before work/school while my fiancee stares at us and reevaluates her life choices

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
sometimes this thread makes me want to talk into a tornado

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Retro Futurist posted:

Going to have to wake up early to watch it with my kid before work/school while my fiancee stares at us and reevaluates her life choices

Do we know what time it will be available?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spider-Man wasn't even in the first few Civil War trailers and just ended up being in any old trailer without hype.

I'm embarrassed for all of you, frankly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Spider-Man wasn't even in the first few Civil War trailers and just ended up being in any old trailer without hype.

I think Spidey was in the final trailer with that final shot of him stealing the shield and saying "Hey everyone" and people lost their goddamn minds about it. I know I did because it was Spider-Man in the MCU.

And their trailers keep getting better when you look at Ragarok's and Black Panther's.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But didn't everybody know about that beforehand? It was all over the news sites.

People actually seeing it for the first time in a theatre or randomly on YouTube would be legitimately surprised and that would get a lot of buzz, but people on YouTube whose jobs it is to make reaction videos and junk would already know it was going to happen.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WHOOPS posted:

i like seeing my toys come to life

I mean, unironically yeah. I have a huge, dumb, Infinity Gauntlet shaped drawer in the nostalgia toy box of my mind.

If they could get Wolverine in there I’d probably stroke out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Pa Kent told him maybe he shouldn't get involved. He decided to do it anyway. Then aliens started blowing everything to poo poo and people hated him. In BvS, Ma Kent says he doesn't have to get involved. He doesn't owe the world anything. He decides she is wrong too. Then he dies. In Justice League, Lois just tells him "No, just go be a superhero" and this time he saves the day without anyone getting hurt or dying.

Storytelling! Clark had to learn to do what he was told and stop having agency, because he's bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Or maybe the lesson was ignore the people saying don’t get involved and get involved from the start instead of halfassing it.

Or. Maybe the writing is bad.

• Locked thread