Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

I've finally started playing f/sn, and I like it, but I always get annoyed when I put several hours into a game only for it to turn out to just be the prologue, with "new game/load/extra" some time thereafter.
I guess it depends by what you mean in this case.

If you just mean FSN proper, then yes you'll have to replay the start (super quick with already read text getting skipped) to experience the other routes, but it diverges very early and goes full on into brand new content. There is nothing that unlocks after fully beating the game other than a weird epilogue thing.

If you mean all of the offshots like Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Extra, Fate/Zero, whatever, then those are completely separate works with varying levels of connections to the original but by and large can be enjoyed on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

But if it's not a boy how can a male audience relate?

what about a boy protagonist who also kisses a boy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Everything Burrito posted:

what about a boy protagonist who also kisses a boy

apparently you can be a gay boy in extra but they're doing red saber so this will not happen

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, the Nasuverse is also a multiverse, so I'll organize it for you.

"Main" universe:

Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night > Fate/Hollow Ataraxia

"Moon Cell" universe:

Fate/Extra > Fate/Extra CCC > Fate/Extella

One-off works that exist in individual continuities:

Fate/Apocrypha (more of an alternate timeline of the main universe, though), Fate/Strange Fake, Fate/Grand Order

Parody:

Carnival Phantasm

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Fate/Grand Order is all of them actually, since it starts with "We just hosed with time, now everything is broken and merged"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But which one has the better Boring/Tepid Bullshit to Crazy/Rad ratio?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

an actual dog posted:

It's cool how the show shows how people use MMOs to make up for things going wrong in their offline life, and how they help but don't really fix the problem. I'm not sure if it's really going to go all the way on this theme though and I'm kinda getting bored.

Considering the popularity of isekai shows I'm impressed they were able to show Moriko's daily life as "maaaaybe not a great way to live". :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

apparently you can be a gay boy in extra but they're doing red saber so this will not happen

what if it's the adventures of a gay boy and a disappointed bi lady

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Do any of these works feature an appearance by the giant talking wolf that's also apparently some kind of massively powerful spirit? I've seen it come up more than once but never in any of the actual anime or games.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Rangpur posted:

Do any of these works feature an appearance by the giant talking wolf that's also apparently some kind of massively powerful spirit? I've seen it come up more than once but never in any of the actual anime or games.

Primate Murder? It eventually has a significant role in Fate/Grand Order's main story (like, the "hard to talk about without spoilers" kind of significant).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Does Dragon Ball Super count? DBS this year has been hitting it out of the park with the ToP arc.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Primate Murder? It eventually has a significant role in Fate/Grand Order's main story (like, the "hard to talk about without spoilers" kind of significant).
That's the one! I remembered it had some kind of absurd title too, though that is considerably more absurd than I imagined.

Sefal posted:

Does Dragon Ball Super count? DBS this year has been hitting it out of the park with the ToP arc.
I don't see why it wouldn't? They can't all be about sad boys and girls exploring post-apocalyptic wastelands/their hearts.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, if anything damages Extra sales in terms of character picks, it's not going to be Hakuno but rather going with Nero. AGAIN. Going by what was recently posted in the Extella LP, a fair chunk of the fanbase is utterly tired of her being constantly used as the central character in work after work, and would gladly see either of the other two choices used instead. Or do something unique and switch Servants around in the story to use someone else entirely.

Like, regardless of how you feel about Saber, in terms of stories focused about her she really only has Stay Night and, to some extent, Zero, in terms of works where she's the central female character. She appears in plenty of others, sure, but not in the central role. Nero, on the other hand, has already exceeded that in number of stories being the central character, and she came out of a game where it wasn't even mandatory to use her, unlike Fate where you were required to play through the routes in order.

edit: And yeah, the reason they're going with that combo is probably because they're just following the manga, but that just points to it being yet another lazy adaptation, like any number of game-to-anime adaptations before it. There's plenty of material to draw upon, so of course they're just going with the laziest.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 28, 2017

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This year has been absolutely amazing for anime. In addition to what's already been mentioned (a lot of which I've also loved), Owarimonogatari Season 2 absolutely knocked it out of the park, Just Because! has been a fantastically real and grounded story of romantic awkwardness (like Tsukigakirei before it), and my anime of the year is probably Scum's Wish. Or maybe it's Made In Abyss. Or Princess Principal. Or Land of the Lustrous. Or Girls' Last Tour. This year ruled.

And then there are the other solid-as-hell installments like MHA 2, Tsurezure, Alice and Zoroku, Maidragon, New Game!!, Kakegurui, Konosuba 2, MMO, 3gatsu 1 and 2, Love Live Sunshine 2, Eccentric Family 2, Kizumonogatari 3, how is this year real???

fake edit: real aoty is actually AI MAI MII SURGICAL FRIENDS and i'm only being halfway facetious here

real edit: s y m p h o g e a r

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 28, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like anime seasons or plot arcs kinda shouldn't be in Big AOTY lists until they're finished, in sorta the same way I feel its weird for early access games to be on big GOTY lists and should just roll over into the year they're finished.

I totally get thats a lame idea and its me being a weird stickler for rules and for a personal list obviously put whatever you like, its your own list. I've heard Dragonball Super has gotten very good and I'm happy to hear it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah generally people will shout out long running shows for a particularly good arc, but when it comes to the voting part of the thread, only things that finished in the given year are eligible. i dunno if there's a strong case either way for keeping or ditching that rule

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The way we run it means that hardly anyone votes for long, constantly running shows, because they're only up for vote long after people have stopped being excited about them. That's not a big deal imo, cause it's only a handful of shows that run into that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

an actual dog posted:

The way we run it means that hardly anyone votes for long, constantly running shows, because they're only up for vote long after people have stopped being excited about them. That's not a big deal imo, cause it's only a handful of shows that run into that.

Plus those shows generally aren't being overlooked anyways so it's not that much of an issue anyway. Like Dragonball Super is one of the most active threads here.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, if anything damages Extra sales in terms of character picks, it's not going to be Hakuno but rather going with Nero. AGAIN. Going by what was recently posted in the Extella LP, a fair chunk of the fanbase is utterly tired of her being constantly used as the central character in work after work, and would gladly see either of the other two choices used instead. Or do something unique and switch Servants around in the story to use someone else entirely.

Like, regardless of how you feel about Saber, in terms of stories focused about her she really only has Stay Night and, to some extent, Zero, in terms of works where she's the central female character. She appears in plenty of others, sure, but not in the central role. Nero, on the other hand, has already exceeded that in number of stories being the central character, and she came out of a game where it wasn't even mandatory to use her, unlike Fate where you were required to play through the routes in order.

edit: And yeah, the reason they're going with that combo is probably because they're just following the manga, but that just points to it being yet another lazy adaptation, like any number of game-to-anime adaptations before it. There's plenty of material to draw upon, so of course they're just going with the laziest.

lol people love Nero. she isnt and doesn't have to be everybody's favorite but she's never stopped being popular and this post just reads as you reaching way too hard to add pretension to what could've just been "I don't like Nero as much as the other servants, it would've been cooler to see Casko in the spotlight," which is a fine opinion to have and doesn't require pulling out sweeping claims or trying to act like writing decisions that don't cater to your interests specifically are 'lazy' and going to 'damage sales'.

also i can't fathom why people get mad over Nero being 'the central character' in Extella. Her having the role of the hero is complementary to the roles everyone else plays. She isn't hogging the heroism because Casko is busy trying to get laid before the world ends, Altera is trying to discover emotions before she ends the world, and Nero is left busting her rear end trying to fix it all. and that all fits in with their characters and is well and good by me.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you could make a relatively easy case for how Nero isnt as nuanced in recent appearances like Extella or Septem in Fate/Grand Order. if anything, that these two things have formed many new fans' first impressions of Nero is a good and not lazy reason to cast her in the main role for an adaptation of a game where she gets a lot of characterization they aren't familiar with.

anyways we barely know whats up with the anime except for the leading impression's we've gleaned from the PVs. maybe withhold the 1/10 MAL review score until you've actually seen the show

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

umu

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Currently watching simulcasts of Ancient Magus Bride and Shokugeki with my girlfriend.

Can someone distill the wisdom of this forum and tell me if there are any other crunchyroll simulcasts worth watching?

Was considering the MMO Junkie one.

The first episode of Blend-S didn't catch us, did the series get better?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
MMO Junkies is a solid choice, Also, March Comes in like a Lion, though it's currently in its second season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

Currently watching simulcasts of Ancient Magus Bride and Shokugeki with my girlfriend.

Can someone distill the wisdom of this forum and tell me if there are any other crunchyroll simulcasts worth watching?

MMO Junkie is an excellent rom-com. Blood Blockade Battlefront is also fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

CR should still have Working!!, which is a much better version of a workplace comedy like Blend S. MMO Junkie is a great romcom, one of the standout shows this season.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

kayakyakr posted:

Blend S does get better, but not much better. Mahoujin Guru Guru is awesome.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I will echo that MMO Junkie, march lion, and BBB are all very good. To that I will also add Guru Guru.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It makes me sad that I can't rec Land of the Lustrous, Girls' Last Tour, and Just Because to a lot of folks they're not on crunchy :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

an actual dog posted:

It makes me sad that I can't rec Land of the Lustrous, Girls' Last Tour, and Just Because to a lot of folks they're not on crunchy :(

yeah, tbh the worst thing about anistrike is that it's by far the least convenient to rec to casual/non-anime fans as opposed to CR having free videos with ads and netflix being netflix

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Netflix is annoying with their refusal to simulcast, but they're at least a platform with a decent player that lots of people know about and use. Strike is this obscure, badly served ghetto behind a double paywall.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Nate RFB posted:

I guess it depends by what you mean in this case.

If you just mean FSN proper, then yes you'll have to replay the start (super quick with already read text getting skipped) to experience the other routes, but it diverges very early and goes full on into brand new content. There is nothing that unlocks after fully beating the game other than a weird epilogue thing.

If you mean all of the offshots like Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Extra, Fate/Zero, whatever, then those are completely separate works with varying levels of connections to the original but by and large can be enjoyed on their own.

Yeah, I meant FSN proper. I know I can skip already read text and so on. Maybe I misunderstood exactly what happened.

The part that I referred to as the prologue involved Rin trying to summon Saber and failing, getting Archer instead, then going and using up her pendant doohickey to save someone who, if they died, would make Sakura sad, but without actually revealing who that person was, after they happened to see the fight between Rin/Archer vs. Lancer. Then, they run off to that person's house, and Saber appears and wounds Archer and is about to kill RIn...... and the New Game|Continue|Extras screen appears.

I'm unclear as to whether that's the "Fate" path or if it's just a prologue that appears every time you open the game or what, since this is my first exposure to any of the Type Moon universe stuff

an actual dog posted:

I continue to maintain that, if you already have Amazon Prime for other reasons (like many people), Strike is worth the added expense. Between just GLT, LoL, JB and Inuyashiki, it comes out to something like $0.35/episode, which I am perfectly happy to pay. Plus, Amazon has better device availability than CR, which requires either a PC or a gaming console to put it on the big screen. Also, the competition has already forced CR to work on implementing offline viewing of episodes (Download on your wifi, watch on the bus without killing your mobile data quota) which is great.

EDIT: In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also watching UQ Holder, Himouto Umaru-chan, and, yes, Shobitch, which pushes the "cost per episode" even lower, to like $0.20/ep.

Recommend the shows and let your friends make a decision on whether and how to watch them.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 28, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's a prologue, the real Fate starts now.

I actually just got through that part and started the actual story for the first time myself. :hf:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm friends with crunchyroll people so if i use any other service, i will be murdered instantly

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, I meant FSN proper. I know I can skip already read text and so on. Maybe I misunderstood exactly what happened.

The part that I referred to as the prologue involved Rin trying to summon Saber and failing, getting Archer instead, then going and using up her pendant doohickey to save someone who, if they died, would make Sakura sad, but without actually revealing who that person was, after they happened to see the fight between Rin/Archer vs. Lancer. Then, they run off to that person's house, and Saber appears and wounds Archer and is about to kill RIn...... and the New Game|Continue|Extras screen appears.

I'm unclear as to whether that's the "Fate" path or if it's just a prologue that appears every time you open the game or what, since this is my first exposure to any of the Type Moon universe stuff
The prologue from Rin's perspective only ever has to be played once, and in fact afterwards can only ever be accessed again by going to "Prologue" in the "Extras" menu at the start screen. You just go straight to Shirou's first day when you start a new game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

i'm friends with crunchyroll people so if i use any other service, i will be murdered instantly

They're hardcore and I respect that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what's the severity for being friends with miles and watching something on a terrible pirate streaming site

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

But yea CR is now this weird corporate Ellation thing now so I don't feel like being loyal to them anymore lol. There's still cool folks working there but they fired all their tech folks and replaced them with contractors, lots of poo poo is broken, and I don't care about vrv. I still want everything to be on there though, cause it's what everyone watches.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

what's the severity for being friends with miles and watching something on a terrible pirate streaming site

Horrific death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

an actual dog posted:

But yea CR is now this weird corporate Ellation thing now so I don't feel like being loyal to them anymore lol. There's still cool folks working there but they fired all their tech folks and replaced them with contractors, lots of poo poo is broken, and I don't care about vrv. I still want everything to be on there though, cause it's what everyone watches.

Yeah but they aren't Amazon

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amazon-workers-working-hours-weeks-conditions-targets-online-shopping-delivery-a8079111.html

• Locked thread