Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

Yeah, Hawkmoth's frustration was hilarious in this episode. Makes me wonder if they're setting up him bringing in Natalie as Paon because he seems to have lost his touch with picking villains he can control and admits he needs a little help, here and is running out of ideas.
If the arc of this season was "Hawk Moth gets clowned by his own victims in increasingly amusing ways" I'd be all for it. It's happened in three episodes out of seven so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

readingatwork posted:

LoK sucked. That said I’d still really like a third series that takes place in the future.

I kind of wanted one where the Raava Avatar we know of, an earth bender or whatever, is chosen and wants absolutely nothing to do with having some destiny they are imprisoned by. Fakes their death, screws up the whole religious and society safety pin that revolves around an Avatar cycle and just mucks around in any way they can because they want to be free. This basically leads to a lot of false avatars running about with their own political scheming and also follows the new Vaatu Avatar that is eventually pulled in to try and be a replacement/potential adversary of the person trying to remove the light spirit from themselves.

A tale of Two Avatars.

Mix this I guess with also an Air Bender discovering sound bending and creating a weird Wuxia form of 50s Rock n Roll/Rockabilly and wants to be a musical super star.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 28, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inescapable Duck posted:

Early episodes in particular have a more cliched sense of humour and characterisation (and Aang can get a bit grating) compared to the kind of self-awareness you get these days
But a lot of the reason why some animated series have better construction is because shows like Avatar, Gargoyles, or Shnookums-n-Meat got it right with characterization, pacing, story or aesthetic. It's kind of disingenuous to retroactively apply expectations like that.

Early Aang is, iirc, still working out his immaturity and hasnt come to grips with his decision so he probably is less of a fleshed out character.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All of Korra, with its ups and downs, is still entertaining to me, I'd reserve "awful" for like.. ruby-spears or the fascinatingly terrible Gene Deitch Tom & Jerry films (although at the same time I want to put that in a separate category from 'awful' like where I'd put Neo Yokio).

The main thing that bummed me out about Korra was not the first two seasons (actually I liked the first season just fine) but.................. The Platinum Game. Took the shine off of Platinum a little bit for me because they really did not put a ton of effort into enemy variety or encounter design. I was actually impressed with how Titmouse was able to imitate the house style of Studio MIR in the cutscenes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What was wrong with the writing in season one of TLA? I know everyone loves season 2 (which is also great), but season one was my personal favorite. I actually thought the writing got worse as the show went on. The first half of season 3 had some of the worst dialogue ever. Like from the blood bending episode:

"Children go in (referring to the forest)...BUT THEY DON'T COME OUT!!"

Really? Really?!?!? A supposed professional writer got paid to come up with this?

Also, too. For some reason in that season they toned down the references to "killing" and 'death', which is a major pet peeve of mine when it comes to animated shows.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did anyone see the premiere of the BH6 series? I rather enjoyed it, and it even retroactively addressed some of the issues I had with the movie, like Baymax coming back too easily. He's still around by the end of the first episode, but Hiro has to work a bit to get him back to his previous status just yet.

The writing and comedic timing of the show is also fun and really snappy. It makes sense, because the project leads on it also did Kim Possible and stuff like Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

I miss that show.

HYPER DEATH RAY

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo, did I miss it? Any idea when it'll be on again? And does it have a regular air date yet?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

What was wrong with the writing in season one of TLA? I know everyone loves season 2 (which is also great), but season one was my personal favorite. I actually thought the writing got worse as the show went on. The first half of season 3 had some of the worst dialogue ever. Like from the blood bending episode:

Really? Really?!?!? A supposed professional writer got paid to come up with this?
I took it as a reference to an old commercial for roach motel roach traps. 'Roaches check in... but they don't check out' was a pretty famous tagline.

quote:

Also, too. For some reason in that season they toned down the references to "killing" and 'death', which is a major pet peeve of mine when it comes to animated shows.
Censors are a bitch. Its also why there's so many robots/zombies/aliens/monsters and laser guns in cartoons. Not cool to shoot actual people with actual firearms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And then in Korra we suddenly get several on-screen character deaths (such as being asphyxiated via Airbending, crushed by a giant robot, etc.) as well as a literal torture scene.

Not really sure what changed between ATLA and this to be honest, maybe because Nick wasn't airing it on tv anymore during the latter half of its run the creators had a bit more freedom to do what they wanted.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The rule was "you can say 'death' or you can show death but not both."

So, SPOILER got brutally asphixiated on-screen, complete with bursting blood vessels in her eyes, but everybody referred to it afterward as being "taken out." The villain of Season 3 got to threaten to kill Korra outright because (spoiler) he didn't actually succeed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

And then in Korra we suddenly get several on-screen character deaths (such as being asphyxiated via Airbending, crushed by a giant robot, etc.) as well as a literal torture scene.

Not really sure what changed between ATLA and this to be honest, maybe because Nick wasn't airing it on tv anymore during the latter half of its run the creators had a bit more freedom to do what they wanted.

AtLA is over a decade old, standards have changed a lot since then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

LoK sucked. That said I’d still really like a third series that takes place in the future.

Really? I think that's the way you can make it worse. Like, Korra already had a bunch of poo poo where bending was becoming obsolete with the rise of technology (including technology specifically to fight benders!). Moving the series even further into the future risks taking the significance out of bending in the world even more. To me at least, TLA had a lot of charm because its world was so clearly different from our own. And yes, Korra's world was still very different (we don't have cops Spider-Man-ing around on metal wires, and giant robots are still unfortunately not real), but it was getting closer to our own (oh boy class warfare and bureaucracy... yayyy?). As that world moved even further into the future, how would it stay unique from any other sci-fi show?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The rule was "you can say 'death' or you can show death but not both."

So, SPOILER got brutally asphixiated on-screen, complete with bursting blood vessels in her eyes, but everybody referred to it afterward as being "taken out." The villain of Season 3 got to threaten to kill Korra outright because (spoiler) he didn't actually succeed.

Korra was a lot freer about death, which is odd, since they still made one season rely on the fact that there was no death penalty and the most dangerous criminals in the world all had custom single-person prisons staffed by the White Lotus.

Makes you wonder what all that business about people wanting Aang to kill Ozai was about if that was an option.

I think I remember there being some pretty brutal beatings in there too. It's been a while, so maybe I'm just magnifying in my mind the fact that Korra spent most of her time getting beaten up to the point that she was severely traumatized by it, physically and mentally.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr Interweb posted:

That was a Halloween episode. You don't think maybe it was supposed to be a little bit cheesy on purpose?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I remember there being some pretty brutal beatings in there too. It's been a while, so maybe I'm just magnifying in my mind the fact that Korra spent most of her time getting beaten up to the point that she was severely traumatized by it, physically and mentally.

It's a little magnified, but yeah, Korra is the only show I can recall that ended for the season with the heroine weeping over the crippled state of her broken body.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TFRazorsaw posted:

did anyone see the premiere of the BH6 series? I rather enjoyed it, and it even retroactively addressed some of the issues I had with the movie, like Baymax coming back too easily. He's still around by the end of the first episode, but Hiro has to work a bit to get him back to his previous status just yet.

The writing and comedic timing of the show is also fun and really snappy. It makes sense, because the project leads on it also did Kim Possible and stuff like Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

I miss that show.

HYPER DEATH RAY

Other than the animation looking kinda... iffy, I enjoyed the premiere. Just hope they put a little more budget into the animation going forward. Also, finding out Man of Action is involved with this show has me a little cautious considering a certain other thing they worked on (Ben 10).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

Other than the animation looking kinda... iffy, I enjoyed the premiere. Just hope they put a little more budget into the animation going forward. Also, finding out Man of Action is involved with this show has me a little cautious considering a certain other thing they worked on (Ben 10).

From what I understand, they're not really involved in it in a meaningful capacity beyond a production credit and for being listed as creators. None of the MoA mainstays are really part of the creative staff and the main creative people are Mark McCorkle and Bob Schooley.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, going from Star vs. season 3 straight into Big Hero 6 was a real rush in terms of relative animation quality. Still, the writing was decent and the sound-alike VAs are close enough to not really bug me, so hopefully it'll get more interesting as the rogue's gallery develops and the show will survive long enough to get better animation.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Does anyone know when the rest of the series begins airing proper? Knowing how...weird Disney is with its scheduling it's probably like, March or April next year?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

For me, I think the ultimate flaw with Korra was that it was trying to evolve into something much different from AtLA, but it was never allowed to. Part of this was certainly due to Nickelodeon not really wanting a show that attracted more teenage and young-adult viewers than kids, but I think a bigger problem was that Bryke were not up for the job of radically reinventing and reinterpreting the setting they had created. They certainly attempted to do so with Korra, but I feel like the show would have had more confidence to forge its own path if someone who understood AtLA but was never a part of the original team was at the reins. To use a Trek analogy, Korra is what would happen if the TOS showrunners tried to make DS9. On top of that, they also had the unenviable task of rehashing a premise and set of characters built for a miniseries into something you could turn into a regular series, which went about as well as you'd expect.

At the same time, I do really like Korra in spite of all its flaws. I'm probably in the minority, but I thought the show really got going with Books 3 and 4 with the whole Earth Kingdom/Zaofu/Kuvira story. It tied back to what we saw of the Earth Kingdom in AtLA to create this whole tragic arc of a great land empire, mortally wounded in a long war and unable to adapt to modernity, decaying and dying by its own hands, only to be rebuilt into something young, angry, and hungry. For most of Eurasia, that's pretty much the story of the past 200 years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In my opinion Korra has an ok start, a second season that's mediocre at best with a few decent aspects here and there (Avatar Wan, Bumi II & Kya, Eska & Desna, and pretty much anything involving Varrick), and then the series really begins in Season 3 onwards.

While it was never quite as good as ATLA overall, I still enjoyed the show a fair bit and it probably has one of my favorite clip show episodes of any series (the telephone conversation between the various main villains was particularly hilarious).

Speaking of Korra, is Turf Wars any good so far?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TwoPair posted:

Really? I think that's the way you can make it worse. Like, Korra already had a bunch of poo poo where bending was becoming obsolete with the rise of technology (including technology specifically to fight benders!). Moving the series even further into the future risks taking the significance out of bending in the world even more. To me at least, TLA had a lot of charm because its world was so clearly different from our own. And yes, Korra's world was still very different (we don't have cops Spider-Man-ing around on metal wires, and giant robots are still unfortunately not real), but it was getting closer to our own (oh boy class warfare and bureaucracy... yayyy?). As that world moved even further into the future, how would it stay unique from any other sci-fi show?

That there seems to be some spiritual significance in bending and that you could possibly play with when Technology has so mimicked and outmoded bending that the skill is not really impressive or special anymore to the people. You can fire-bend, so what, we have a flamethrower. Maybe entire generations of potential benders never bother learning what they could achieve because bending doesn't really bring you money. No one seemingly cares about it anymore. If it isn't some specialized or more useful thing like bending lighting to power machines or metal bending, plain jane earth, air, water and fire are just too dull for society these days. I mean, you can study how to bend and maybe be a construction worker - or you can apply yourself to a real trade or education and get somewhere in the world without people being afraid you're some freaky blood bender.

You can mimic and even show of modern Chinese society to people completely ignorant of it this way as well with Air Bending monks constantly thinking of ways to raise money to keep everything but the old and big culturally significant temple open, big ghost cities being built over swamp bender territory just so some rich kid can gain face, etc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Crabtree posted:

That there seems to be some spiritual significance in bending and that you could possibly play with when Technology has so mimicked and outmoded bending that the skill is not really impressive or special anymore to the people. You can fire-bend, so what, we have a flamethrower. Maybe entire generations of potential benders never bother learning what they could achieve because bending doesn't really bring you money. No one seemingly cares about it anymore. If it isn't some specialized or more useful thing like bending lighting to power machines or metal bending, plain jane earth, air, water and fire are just too dull for society these days. I mean, you can study how to bend and maybe be a construction worker - or you can apply yourself to a real trade or education and get somewhere in the world without people being afraid you're some freaky blood bender.

You can mimic and even show of modern Chinese society to people completely ignorant of it this way as well with Air Bending monks constantly thinking of ways to raise money to keep everything but the old and big culturally significant temple open, big ghost cities being built over swamp bender territory just so some rich kid can gain face, etc.

The problem with premises like this is that they get in the way of wanting to see elemental kung-fu fights.

It's why even though people made fun of the fighter planes and warships without guns in Korra I'm glad they stuck to that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Crabtree posted:

See, I thought they were doing this in season 1, only with bending as a parallel to martial arts skills in the early 20th century. Everyone's got guns now and being a total badass with your bending/martial arts training means poo poo, so now its just a spectator sport and used in like movies and factories etc.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
A sci-fi show where bending has dwindled down to a declining population, maybe even being outlawed by some galactic federation except for a few far-flung colonies or religious zealots clinging to the ancient ways from before people started to leave Earth would maybe have some kind of merit. Probably won't happen, but it's not really necessary either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of would like to see something like Avatar but with bending replaces with something else and the implications thought through differently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of would like to see something like Avatar but with bending replaces with something else and the implications thought through differently.

X-Men?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So basically a bunch of Genre anime
"A is new to the superelite ZYX Training Academy Recruits, but OOPS He/She {Can't control Majic/Is bonded to an Upperclassman that is their polar opposite/has SECRET POWERS} so sit back for 300 episodes as A learns to Believe In Themselves/Master Their Potential"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

That was a Halloween episode. You don't think maybe it was supposed to be a little bit cheesy on purpose?

It was supposed to be a pretty dark episode. I doubt they were going for cheese in that instance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of the core concept of the original Avatar is the protagonist being the local Buddha-Jesus-Superman figure who's come back to a world that's both strange and familiar to him, and explore to find out exactly what happened and how the world has changed, and how to set right what went wrong in his absence while facing impossible odds. An underdog hero with great potential he doesn't know how to use setting out to fix a broken world is a classic and gives plenty to work with.

Korra, in comparison, seems more like putting out brushfires and causing as many problems as she solves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Totally Spies is getting a movie.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1867561109923881&id=250632714950070&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FvoFWUruKgC&_rdr

E: Actually it's just a YouTube upload of a 2009 movie

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 1, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wouldn't be all that surprised if it does get revived again though

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
ReBoot: The Guadian Code is coming to Netflix Feb 2018: http://www.rebootrevival.com/?p=2177

Hefferson posted:

“For the year before I came up with what the new concept, I talked with people. I talked with broadcasters around the world. The one [resounding] thing — and I hate to break it to the fans — was nobody wanted the reboot of what [the show originally] was. Nobody was willing to buy it.”

None of the studios liked the new concept and Netflix was the only one besides YTV to pick it up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BattleTech posted:

ReBoot: The Guadian Code is coming to Netflix Feb 2018: http://www.rebootrevival.com/?p=2177

None of the studios liked the new concept and Netflix was the only one besides YTV to pick it up.

Whaa... are they making... live action?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I was hoping they canned that. I’m still angry with this new direction

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I could never get into Reboot. I know it was groundbreaking and I'm sure they were doing the best they could with the technology and budget they had to work with, but I couldn't get past how ugly it was.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Matt___Burnett/status/936705822385569792

https://twitter.com/juliavickerman/status/936686225141858304

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:getin:

That was an awesome pilot! Not sure which of those guys is supposed to be Shane (if either are), though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_KPcMUuIPc
'You took a nap with us in a locker and quite frankly I'm offended you don't remember.'

I hope they bring back Matt Berry.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Cartoon brew put out an article about prince ivendoe:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/meet-creators-prince-ivandoe-cartoon-networks-first-danish-series-exclusive-clip-155106.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inkspot posted:

A sci-fi show where bending has dwindled down to a declining population, maybe even being outlawed by some galactic federation except for a few far-flung colonies or religious zealots clinging to the ancient ways from before people started to leave Earth would maybe have some kind of merit. Probably won't happen, but it's not really necessary either.

Maybe they could also have weapons, like some kind of swords of glowing energy