Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cythereal posted:

Yup. Lord Mazdamundi declared war on plate tectonics and won.
To be fair, that was only a level three spell back in the day anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I don't particularly care for Blood Angels but I still enjoyed The Devastation of Baal a hell of a lot. Hard to believe this was written by Guy Haley, author of known waste of paper "Dark Imperium". Did he get massively better in just a few months or what

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Ayn Marx posted:

I don't particularly care for Blood Angels but I still enjoyed The Devastation of Baal a hell of a lot. Hard to believe this was written by Guy Haley, author of known waste of paper "Dark Imperium". Did he get massively better in just a few months or what

I was thinking the same thing, just finished it on my return leg (also, check out singularity sky by Charles Stross). The writing, pacing and general storyline was miles above Dark Imperium. Maybe not having to sell an entire line of new stuff helps?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Ayn Marx posted:

Wasn't he the one that wrote Baneblade and its sequel Shadowsword? Those were pretty good.

I think it's more probable that GW had a list of the book must include this, and/or being a rush job.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Ayn Marx posted:

Like what the others are saying, I think he did a pretty good job, given the whole "GW releases massive setting update, they need a book about it to sell the new Ultramarines Vs Death Guard game pack RIGHT NOW, who's not in the middle of a big important book already, okay let's make that guy do it" situation. He's done some pretty good work, and I especially liked his space elfy book Valedor; really summed up what the eldar and their dick cousins are all about.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
He's by far doing the best job for Blood Angels novels of any author yet. I am incredibly glad they're moving away from James Swallow because aside from one or two scenes I could not stand his stuff.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

One Legged Cat posted:

Like what the others are saying, I think he did a pretty good job, given the whole "GW releases massive setting update, they need a book about it to sell the new Ultramarines Vs Death Guard game pack RIGHT NOW, who's not in the middle of a big important book already, okay let's make that guy do it" situation. He's done some pretty good work, and I especially liked his space elfy book Valedor; really summed up what the eldar and their dick cousins are all about.

I honestly thought the fulgrim vs roboute part of dark imperium was great and then you double timeskip past all the interesting stuff and the book loses all momentum never getting it back.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 27, 2017

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Zasze posted:

I honestly thought the fulgrim vs roboute part of dark imperium was great and then you double timeskip past all the interesting stuff and the book looses all momentum never getting it back.

Yeah, I really liked that part too! Was expecting the book to be about Robute's first few years back in action after that, but even then, it was good for what it was.

I really liked the focus on things occurring because of the setting update, like Calgar's thoughts on their primarch coming back and taking some of the magic of the legend away; to everyone else this one primarch-sized chair was a revered relic throne that none would dare to touch, but when the primarch came back, he treated it as "yup, I'm gonna sit in that, it's my old sittin' chair, get rid of all this incense and heraldry you guys put on it."

Or how the Primaris marines are kinda freaked out by the whole Chaos thing due to that not being really included in their training, while the regular marines are all used to that poo poo by now. Or how Cawl is pretty drat useful to have around but wow is he interested in getting his hands on all sorts of forbidden tech and is making things that are probably not true AI but boy is he close to crossing the line, and he is obviously really insane and could really, really cause serious problems for the Imperium if not carefully managed.

Or how Robute feels about/handles the ecclesiarchy who really want him to play a role as a divine son.

Things like that. The actual action was all about the smurfs fighting the Death Guard in Ultramar, but a lot of words were spent on the kinds of stuff I was wondering about, in regards to how the people in the setting are handling all the new stuff goin' on after 9000 years of the same-old-same-old.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shockeh posted:

It's quite figuratively a psychic compass in the Era Of Sail.

You can sail just fine without one. Whole peoples have learnt to do so and been very successful. However, once you've used to having one, you're probably quite bad at sailing without one. You're much more likely to get lost, and once you get lost, you die.

True, but it seemed humanity never really had the knack for doing it without Emps+navigators. However, the AdMech did figure out a way to transmit messages without astropaths, so there's that.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There must have been a way it was done during the dark age of technology, before the emps and his psychic beacon and the massive warpstorms before that. Although that's the time Navigators were made, so they needed those for whatever it was.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Hamshot posted:

There must have been a way it was done during the dark age of technology, before the emps and his psychic beacon and the massive warpstorms before that. Although that's the time Navigators were made, so they needed those for whatever it was.

Gellar Fields were an established technology for a long time, too. My guess is that the warp was relatively calm and not really something terribly concerning before Slaanesh came into being/more human psykers started being born.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember there was some sort of machine the Imperium found that pretty much made traveling through the warp a breeze and you did not even need the Astronomicon or Navigators. Naturally the Navigators felt this threatened them and had it banned and declared heresy to use.

Can't remember the name for the life of me however.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 27, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hamshot posted:

In M18 the warp drive came about, permitting short jumps that didn't need precise navigation( kinda like the Tau still do it). Somewhere after this time, probably the 19th Millenia, navigators were genegineered to make longer jumps. How they managed to find their way is unclear, but considering that a good warp chart can partially replace good contact to the Astronomican today( as per the Rogue Trader rulebook), perhaps a combination of good 'warp rutters' and STC navigation systems allowed the massive expansion seen during the Dark Age of Technology.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember there was some sort of machine the Imperium found that pretty much made traveling through the warp a breeze and you did not even need the Astronomicon or Navigators. Naturally the Navigators felt this threatened them and had it banned and declared heresy to use.

Can't remember the name for the life of me however.
They also sabotaged Dark Glass, the prototype for the Golden Throne and the human webway for the same reason.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Tias posted:

In M18 the warp drive came about, permitting short jumps that didn't need precise navigation( kinda like the Tau still do it). Somewhere after this time, probably the 19th Millenia, navigators were genegineered to make longer jumps. How they managed to find their way is unclear, but considering that a good warp chart can partially replace good contact to the Astronomican today( as per the Rogue Trader rulebook), perhaps a combination of good 'warp rutters' and STC navigation systems allowed the massive expansion seen during the Dark Age of Technology.

The pharos device also might have been more common in dark age of technology giving them basically a network of mini astronomicons maybe the emperor just took one and turned it up to 11.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2017

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Tias posted:

good 'warp rutters'

Sounds cool, just... wash your hands when you're done, OK?

Everyone knows that the Navigators were formed after the mutagenic material known as the Herbe Melange was found on the planet Sandbar.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

They also sabotaged Dark Glass, the prototype for the Golden Throne and the human webway for the same reason.

Uh where can I read about this cause it sounds pretty dope

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Waroduce posted:

Uh where can I read about this cause it sounds pretty dope

HH novel 36: The Path of Heaven

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh hey, The Warmaster is out on the 2nd

Noice

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Skarsnik posted:

Oh hey, The Warmaster is out on the 2nd

Noice

Hope is the first step on the road to disappoinment.

The release date has moved many times, so call me skeptical until I hold the book in my hands.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I mean okay I guess, but this does seem fairly certain

http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/december/the-warmaster-ebook.html

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zil posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappoinment.

The release date has moved many times, so call me skeptical until I hold the book in my hands.

Abnett appears to back on good terms with BL, so the release date should be good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Amazon still says the 14th :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I love me some Gaunts Ghosts but

quote:

Returning to the crusade's heart after a dangerous mission, Colonel-Commissar Gaunt is thrust into intrigue while his Ghosts face a threat to their very existence.

could already describe, what, at least three of the previous books?

I mean, come on guys, at least let me pretend I'm getting an original* story out of it...

*: "original"

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Its been so long I can't remember what the last thing the ghosts did was, or who any one is. Its hard because I really loved these books and a year or two between them was fine, but its been 5? years now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The last one I read was when they boarded some ship or space station and it had a huge library on it? That's all I can remember. Which one was that?

edit: Salvation's Reach? drat, I've read them all then. I thought I had missed one or two

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Salvations Reach marked their return to Frontline combat after two years off the line doing garrison duty during Blood Pact.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I don't believe I've read all of the Ghost books. But the ones I have read gave me the impression they were rapidly running out of Tannith natives given their attrition. It's literally going to come down to the Tannith First and Only isn't it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trast posted:

I don't believe I've read all of the Ghost books. But the ones I have read gave me the impression they were rapidly running out of Tannith natives given their attrition. It's literally going to come down to the Tannith First and Only isn't it?

They took heavy losses during Sabbat Martyr and were merged with a Belladon Recon regiment. The Tanith are dying out but the Verghastite and Belladon contingents do receive fresh reserve units following Only in Death, where 50% of the regiment became casualties at Hinzerhaus.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I wonder if they'll have to change names after the last Tanith member dies or if they keep it as an honourific.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'd still be Ghosts

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Vadoc posted:

I wonder if they'll have to change names after the last Tanith member dies or if they keep it as an honourific.

Can you imagine the centuries of Administratum paperwork that would be needed to change the name of the regiment?

The entire next trilogy would be Gaunt filling in forms and it would still end on a cliffhanger.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Zasze posted:

The pharos device also might have been more common in dark age of technology giving them basically a network of mini astronomicons maybe the emperor just took one and turned it up to 11.

Weren't those xenos tech and also the cause of a really, really lovely side effect?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Arcsquad12 posted:

They took heavy losses during Sabbat Martyr and were merged with a Belladon Recon regiment. The Tanith are dying out but the Verghastite and Belladon contingents do receive fresh reserve units following Only in Death, where 50% of the regiment became casualties at Hinzerhaus.

I believe I got that far into the series. The Belladon Colonel takes over while Gaunt and his elite are off on the chaos world. When they get back Gaunt and his people are broken mentally and treat everyone like inferior peons. Finally they get wise that they themselves are the real assholes while the Belladon Colonel takes one for the plot and dies in a heroic holding action. Then I remember a desert outpost where they got mauled but managed to win through some funky xeno tech.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trast posted:

I believe I got that far into the series. The Belladon Colonel takes over while Gaunt and his elite are off on the chaos world. When they get back Gaunt and his people are broken mentally and treat everyone like inferior peons. Finally they get wise that they themselves are the real assholes while the Belladon Colonel takes one for the plot and dies in a heroic holding action. Then I remember a desert outpost where they got mauled but managed to win through some funky xeno tech.

That'd be Only in Death where they take out the Eldar lazer guns and get stuck in a haunted house.

Blood Pact follows that story, picking up two years later while the Ghosts have been rotated out of active service after being effectively rendered useless at Hinzerhaus.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a short story after Salvation's Reach (which was a successful mission and has caused a civil war between the Blood Pact and the Sons of Sek) where they visit a haunted depot world with some weird poo poo going on, and Gol Kolea might be haunted by a daemon that's threatening his kids.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wiegieman posted:

There's a short story after Salvation's Reach (which was a successful mission and has caused a civil war between the Blood Pact and the Sons of Sek) where they visit a haunted depot world with some weird poo poo going on, and Gol Kolea might be haunted by a daemon that's threatening his kids.

Woah, for reals? Whats it called???

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Tias posted:

Weren't those xenos tech and also the cause of a really, really lovely side effect?
I got the very distinct impression that the Pharos was Necron tech.

The way it's all weird stone and no moving parts.
The organic winding tunnels with random branches and dead ends is a dead ringer for how the pipes in the Cadia pylons were described, which were confirmed Necron McGuffins.
And hell, I seem to remember there being mentions of a green glow in the working bits when the Pharos was under strain.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also the name. Pharos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Biplane posted:

Woah, for reals? Whats it called???

It is in the collection called Sabbat Crusade. The story in particular is titled Ghosts and Bad Shadows.