Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Crows Turn Off posted:

Batman's intro just has him looking like a big, scary dude, but not like an alien or anything.

lolling at you choosing alien as your example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Crimpolioni posted:

lolling at you choosing alien as your example
Someone said "otherwordly," which I interpreted as "alien," guess it wasn't the best choice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Teaser trailer for Infinity War. Don't waste your time, it's just a compilation of quick shots of fans' reaction videos to their other trailers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbHg5fqBYw

Proper trailer tomorrow

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 28, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NTRabbit posted:

It was in the opening paragraph on wikipedia when I looked up what Excalibur was, it seemed too good to be a coincidence. I watch and enjoy The Orville, I am aware of the need to take salt with critics.

Excalibur's a pretty wild flick. Tonally, it's all over the place, visually it's really quite nice and the acting is incredibly uneven. It can never quite seem to make up it's mind what its trying to be, it drags in spots and leaves you with a weird feeling when it's over when it's over.

So, yeah, apparently Snyder DID borrow heavily from it for BvS.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Honest question, what was confusing about the plot of BvS? What questions do you still have?

uh oh. I'm outta here. See you guys in about 5 pages.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Teaser trailer for Infinity War. Don't waste your time, it's just a compilation of quick shots of fans' reaction videos to their other trailers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbHg5fqBYw

Proper trailer tomorrow

Lmfao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look the movie is roughly edited and nothing has room to breath but it isn't complicated, apart from maybe Wonder Woman's motivation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Reposting my Excalibur comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/J02B5nr.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/ogbXdNe.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/31AMS7u.gifv

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

Excalibur's a pretty wild flick. Tonally, it's all over the place, visually it's really quite nice and the acting is incredibly uneven. It can never quite seem to make up it's mind what its trying to be, it drags in spots and leaves you with a weird feeling when it's over when it's over.

So, yeah, apparently Snyder DID borrow heavily from it for BvS.

Star Trek Nemesis also lifts from the ending of Excalibur and does it in such a hilariously bad way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Excalibur isn't really a great movie, but it's definitely a great-looking movie. It's worth a watch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A very good horse movie

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It would have been far more effective and tactical if Batman had instead lubed himself up in grease to prevent superman from detaining him. He could wear those superengineered football gloves that effortlessly grab balls to hold the spear.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

Excalibur isn't really a great movie, but it's definitely a great-looking movie. It's worth a watch.

Wait ..... armour with nipples ....

OMG

They're all about Excalibur!!! They've always been about Excalibur!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Honest question, what was confusing about the plot of BvS? What questions do you still have? I agree that the editing was all over the place, it's clear they were trying to fit two movies into one. But I was never lost during the several storylines we were progressing through. It was basically Batman story scenes, then Superman story scenes, then Batman story scenes, then Superman story scenes, until they combine into the same story.
This 1000x over. I'd never say it was a good film but lmao if you didn't follow this simple dumb superhero movie plot even with the dream like editing. Like, I watched the theatrical cut and don't know much about comics, what's your excuse? I didn't really need additional scenes fleshing out what was going on with Africa or w/e to grasp the basic direction of the plot and character motivations
It's revealing that the most strident critics itt are dudes who genuinely got lost watching this dumb movie or say things like "why was batman wearing armor??"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LesterGroans posted:

Excalibur isn't really a great movie

It is, and is easily one of the best fantasy movies ever made, and likely the greatest Arthurian movie.

The general objection people have is that it's formally a faithful adaptation of Arthurian romance, and thus does not conform to modern expectations such as having a three-act structure or realistic, three-dimensional characters.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gonna post this again:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is, and is easily one of the best fantasy movies ever made, and likely the greatest Arthurian movie.

The general objection people have is that it's formally a faithful adaptation of Arthurian romance, and thus does not conform to modern expectations such as having a three-act structure or realistic, three-dimensional characters.

It's good, it just didn't entirely click for me the last time I watched it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Star Trek Nemesis also lifts from the ending of Excalibur and does it in such a hilariously bad way.

Did merlin teleport gallahad's clone?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

I largely agree with you, I'm just taking this chance to post this clip and remind people that no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK7_FsJE7Q

No there would be no dodging Superman if he wanted to punch you

Maybe it's just how lovely my day is going

But I kinda dig this now. It's cool. Dunno if I'll like the movie on a rewatch though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Did merlin teleport gallahad's clone?

He used the Charm of Making to disguise Uther as the Duke of Cornwall and then magically transported him across the water, same thing really.

Edit: also Patrick Stewart plays one of the knights so it's pretty darned Star Trekky

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 28, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
didn't even know there was a trailer for Grant Morrison's Happy! out yet, but it looks promising. SyFy actually making good TV shows now wtf? It's from half of the Crank team, which seems like an appropriate pick, I like Meloni and Patton Oswalt as well. Comes out in a couple days.
Between that and the potential Lazarus, Deadly Class, and Snowpiercer shows, it could be a golden age for non-stupidass-superhero-poo poo-cuz-superhero-comics-suck-dude. Adapt more Image! Less Kirkman though, plz.

whoops I guess these aren't movies but I don't think TVIV has a comic book tV megathread does it? It kinda should at this point. Apparently the Runaways TV show is happening, and is okay to good? As leery as I am of anyt of the garbage DC and Marvel does, I did like Runaways.....

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

disney giving me more and more reasons to detest the internet on may 4th

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy! is a Grant Morrison thing? I am down. It reminds me, whatever happened to that buddy cop movie with the bear by Jim Henson Studios that was supposed to be a thing?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Happy! is a Grant Morrison thing. I enjoyed it, kinda just like WHAT IF MAX PAYNE STARTED SEEING A CUTE STUFFED ANIMAL IMAGINARY FRIEND THING.
oh yeah I forgot, FX is also doing Y the Last Man, which I was never really half as high on as so many people that list it as like, one of the MUST READ VERTICO/IMAGE COMICs.... honestly I'm not sure I even thought it was good. but hey, it could be solid I guess, Legion was excellent.
considering that all the Marc Millar adaptations in movies/TV have been his lamest edgiest most tryhard bullshit comics, I'd really like someone to do the only one I ever found tolerable....Huck

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I had heard Happy is really Grant Morrison's take on Garth Ennis/Mark Millar style edgy toughguy action, as an extended sarcastic joke knowing it was the most likely thing he'd ever written to be adapted; true?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe it's just how lovely my day is going

But I kinda dig this now. It's cool. Dunno if I'll like the movie on a rewatch though.

I like that scene but mostly because Christopher Meloni aka Angry Cop Dad owns. He's the modern David Boreanaz, in that he has that dumb puppy charisma that emanates from their powerful foreheads.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
all I can see in that poster is the Fantastic Four logo

Serf
May 5, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I like that scene but mostly because Christopher Meloni aka Angry Cop Dad owns. He's the modern David Boreanaz, in that he has that dumb puppy charisma that emanates from their powerful foreheads.

the coolest thing in man of steel that wasn't krypton was this dude going toe-to-toe with a kryptonian like a second before they both got owned by the gravity beam terraformer

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

Man of Steel’s greatest sin was killing off Christopher Meloni and Richard Schiff.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SleepCousinDeath posted:

all I can see in that poster is the Fantastic Four logo

:same:
I havent seen any 'avenger' movies since the first, how are gotg going to be involved

And how is there a snowpiercer show, is it a prequel? Or maybe set like 100 years later after there are a few more babies from the last two

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Man of Steel’s greatest sin was killing off Christopher Meloni and Richard Schiff.

Faora and Hardy are in the phantom zone and have become good friends. Dr. Hamilton too.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

got any sevens posted:

I havent seen any 'avenger' movies since the first, how are gotg going to be involved
Apparently a large part of the movie is a heist to get/recover the separate Infinity Stones, one of which is in the hands of the Collector. The GotG interact with this theft in some manner.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Faora and Hardy are in the phantom zone and have become good friends.

That's a tame way of saying always loving hardcore

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Christopher Meloni is safe in the phantom zone where he and Faora are making many babies

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Apparently a large part of the movie is a heist to get/recover the separate Infinity Stones

This sounds cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This sounds cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

It's being reported as the basis of the movie in a lot of places, and there's incomplete leaked footage of someone in a mocap suit standing on Benicio del Toro's chest in the middle of a smashed collection while Drax gets ready to get revenge on a CGI character.

Me, I'm just hoping Adam Warlock shows up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's being reported as the basis of the movie in a lot of places, and there's incomplete leaked footage of someone in a mocap suit standing on Benicio del Toro's chest in the middle of a smashed collection while Drax gets ready to get revenge on a CGI character.

Me, I'm just hoping Adam Warlock shows up.

Gunn already said Adam Warlock is out of Guardians 3, he's not showing up in Infinity War.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm leary of the "heist movie" sort of hype Marvel has done for some of its movies. I'm not suggesting there won't be some footage of Thanos acquiring gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i forgot about adam warlock

gotg2 was really in one ear and out the other, even for a marvel movie

• Locked thread