Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Judging literature only based on it's prose is upper class snobbery. I know many examples If this, like

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yes, genius, people are discussing movies that are part of a series as being part of a series.

e: You seem to be arguing that the Star Wars prequels are not "really" popular, because they're only popular because Star Wars is popular.

In truth this distinction is completely immaterial, because part of what makes any given text important is how it relates to other texts. That the prequels undermine the naivety and stupidity of the originals is what makes them relevant.

Star Wars, after all, is only popular because it builds on other texts (Flash Gordon, Hidden Fortress, etc). By your logic no one talks about Star Wars either except as a footnote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

You do realize that's neither judging literature nor upper class snobbery?

e: I mean, do you think it's somehow a particularly bourgeois gesture to call Star Wars movies stupid, or to note that they were inspired by earlier works?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 28, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Star Wars is the opium of the people.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sexpig by night posted:

*runs in redfaced and sweating*

Guys...guys...have you heard about THE ROOM?! It's so bad!

In related news, Pewdiepie did a video on Chris-Chan a week or two ago. Maybe this is his way of trying to diversify away from content where he might blurt out a racial slur again, but still, talk about so late to the party the building has been demolished and replaced with a parking lot.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MariusLecter posted:

Star Wars is the opium of the people.

Also Jim spotted something happening. As of yet the jury is out on whether the Happening is shady or dumb. Given this year's track record I'd guess it is dumb and shady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3RFAkGLKZU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

stillvisions posted:

In related news, Pewdiepie did a video on Chris-Chan a week or two ago. Maybe this is his way of trying to diversify away from content where he might blurt out a racial slur again, but still, talk about so late to the party the building has been demolished and replaced with a parking lot.

If anything it's even more of a black mark to go on them now, they've been long since broken by the gross people obsessed with stalking them, just leave them alone ffs.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I have no idea what value anyone sees in mocking chris chan now.

Just leave her alone ffs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

If anything it's even more of a black mark to go on them now, they've been long since broken by the gross people obsessed with stalking them, just leave them alone ffs.

yea if anything we're so far past it being funny and so deep in the realm of 'actually now they're just kinda a person with genuine mental issues not really doing much to anyone' it's probably a weird sign if someone is going "HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF CHRIS-CHAN LOL" in 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea if anything we're so far past it being funny and so deep in the realm of 'actually now they're just kinda a person with genuine mental issues not really doing much to anyone' it's probably a weird sign red flag if someone is going "HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF CHRIS-CHAN LOL" in 20 goddamn 17

Seriously, move on to DSP already.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man I've been watching some of Shaun's stuff and gently caress, how does he listen to those youtube shouty men? They all fuckin' suck so bad, they're all such blowhard assholes!

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Grondoth posted:

Man I've been watching some of Shaun's stuff and gently caress, how does he listen to those youtube shouty men? They all fuckin' suck so bad, they're all such blowhard assholes!

I find I have to turn off a lot of Shaun's videos after seeing the chud he's mocking because I can't take it even for 10 seconds.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Shaun's a legit saint, and if you're lurking the thread dude I'd legit buy you a pint because Jesus Christ, how do you handle the sheer wilful ignorance.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

stillvisions posted:

"Okay, I got the crypto-nazis on lock, how do I get the transphobes sharing my videos?"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The only reason people should even think about Chris-Chan any more is to examine the seething mass of assholes that stalked her, because I guarantee you'll find the roots of some of the online alt-right in there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pewdiepie's plan to keep his channel afloat is to cash in on dead memes and incite harassment, cool.
love the paradigm shift from "channel about making weird faces at video games for kids" to "waging the culture war"

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SteelMentor posted:

I guarantee you'll find the roots of some of the online alt-right in there

Kiwifarms and those shitheads were literally the CWCwiki people, so you assumed right.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sexpig by night posted:

yea if anything we're so far past it being funny and so deep in the realm of 'actually now they're just kinda a person with genuine mental issues not really doing much to anyone' it's probably a weird sign if someone is going "HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD OF CHRIS-CHAN LOL" in 2017

I know, what makes me worried is now there a few million pre-teens who were just told how lolsworthy it is to go after Chris-Chan, and all the assorted ways it's been done in the past. Like seriously, it's beyond depressing already and having a new wave of abuse thrown her way will do even more harm. Not that "responsible" and PDP go in the same book, let alone sentence, but jesus...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

pewdiepie's plan to keep his channel afloat is to cash in on dead memes and incite harassment, cool.
love the paradigm shift from "channel about making weird faces at video games for kids" to "waging the culture war"

Why does the guy even need to keep his channel afloat, I watched the one video where he was getting evicted and the house wasn't exactly shouting "A multi millionare lives here". I'm sure pewds could retire right now and live the rest of his life off interest.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Yardbomb posted:

Kiwifarms and those shitheads were literally the CWCwiki people, so you assumed right.

It was completely unsurprising looking through the who's who of Goobergate and seeing all the CWCwiki bigwigs popping up out of the gutters. Really, GG was them taking the tactics they honed in stalking ChrisChan for nigh on 10 years and applying them wide-scale.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Why does the guy even need to keep his channel afloat, I watched the one video where he was getting evicted and the house wasn't exactly shouting "A multi millionare lives here". I'm sure pewds could retire right now and live the rest of his life off interest.

He could've retired even before making it big on Youtube; his parents are both rich executives and as far as I understand he was basically a trust fund kid when he was in college. That's how he was able to drop out of school on basically a whim and not worry about it.

I know a Swedish friend of mine laughed at the idea of him being some kid that made it big on Youtube by luck, because his parents were so well-known already in the country before he ever even started making videos.

Idran fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 28, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The only thing funny about Chris Chan was "Sonichu (original cahracter donot steel)" and then it just got very sad and creepy if you dug any deeper.

Of course pewdeipee is diving in with mouth wide open, the motherfucker.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I think the only people who covered Chris-chan in the past decade or so without being super gross were dstecks and down the rabbit hole.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Terrible Opinions posted:

and down the rabbit hole.

I instinctively click away from that vid whenever it comes up on DtRH's playlist, I haven't watched it but I'm so used to online assholes making vids apologising for the stalkers or just making GBS threads more on her that it's pure instinct at this point.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He just states what they did in a neutral tone of voice which is more or less the most damning thing you could do.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Hey, it’s a new Song Crimes with Jeannie C. Riley, Rupert Holmes, and AC/DC. Explore the powers of the PTA! Marvel at pre-no-fault divorce! And learn the ins and outs of contract killing!

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Two new episodes of Nick Knacks. First, a 1989 Thanksgiving special that led to the creation of the Nicktoons, and then jumping back to 1979, America Goes Bananaz, Nickelodeon's first variety show.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
(catching up on thread)

Blair White saying "if being mean to Islams makes them terrorists, they always were"-- but isn't her side says "stop hurting our feels by calling us Nazis all it does is encourage people to become Nazis"--- okay okay okay I'll stop, back on track... umm, what's next?

PeePeePie switching to CWC because "getting away from content that will make him blurt out something racist" yes I'm sure doing videos on an on-spectrum, mentally ill, trans woman will lead to all sorts of respectful comments and-- gently caress, what the gently caress is wrong with this thread?

gently caress, fine, I'll just take things into my own hands.

1) FoldyDan's streams are on Twitch now. Took me a while to realize the Weekly Stream Youtube playlist wasn't being updated: https://www.twitch.tv/foldablehuman/videos/all

2) If you're looking for audio movie discussion, Jim Sterling and Conrad Zimmerman do a podcast called "The Spin-Off Doctors", where they discuss video-game movies (and video-game related movies, like Tron or The Last Starfighter). The format is "Discuss their experiences with the games -- do a plot synopsis while discussing anything that comes to mind -- final thoughts". The episodes are all at least 90 minutes long, if not longer, but the two of them have good chemistry, nice voices and they're both funny. The episodes themselves are spread amongst the Podquisition rss on Sound Cloud, which is a bit annoying.

I really like the long-form format, since it makes for great background listening in the car, or while doing yard work, etc.

Personal suggestion, once you've dipped your toes in, is to listen to the 5+ hour combination of Pixels, followed by the next episode, Uwe's "Postal". Because Pixels is such an unbearably lovely and unfunny "comedy", the Postal episode is a genuine examination of how the movie doesn't fail as a COMEDY, when viewed in the context of an abject failure like Pixels. It's a really good listen.

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:125332894/sounds.rss

3) Brutalmoose. Not sure if I got wind of him via Allison's Twitter, or if it was mentioned here (in which case sorry not sorry about duping, because gently caress the last ten pages of this thread, seriously). Does shorter videos reviews of whatever he feels like reviewing, which is mainly silly DomComs from the 90s, weird VHS movies from the thrift shop, and food-tries. Very relaxed and chill guy, fun to watch.

The first of his I saw was a food-try on the Hungry Man dinners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w4N2UZbjzo

A good first-try for his movie reviews is My Magic Dog-- if only because (without spoiling the joke) both my wife and I were in literal-tears laughing at his comment about the dog name "Luckier" near the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNRRP5oepNk

4) I KNOW this was mentioned earlier, but BUMP: Liana K has launched "Lady Bits". Episode 0 goes over the show's ethos (for gamers, meant to be a starting point for discussion, etc)-- a good primer to understand that it's a show by and for people who enjoy games (and not just-- well, you know, capital G "git good" gamers). Episode 1 is online already, covering Lara Croft (original vs. reboot). Episode 2 is about to drop for backers, then will be public after backer feedback.

The show's good, and re: that backer feedback. There has been a TON of backer feedback sessions and behind-the-scenes planning. She's put a lot of care and attention into listening to and incorporating the feedback from the actual target audience (people who play and care about video games). It's actually kinda impressive the months of planning and feedback that went into designing the show. Kudos on that.

Uhhh-- that's all the new stuff. I see Diamanda Hagan just dropped "Genesis 7: Episode 8"-- that's the Young Earth Creationist science fiction "explore the solar system" show, and yes that is an actual thing that was actually made and is actually as horrible as whatever you're imagining right now. iRoss had done the pilot episode a long time back, and Hagan's covered the rest of the series. There's 4 more episodes to come, including a finale crossover with iRoss.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I need a way to enjoy my favorite internet sites, but cut out the loving drama that makes me lose respect for my favorite people. Break your idols people. Right into a million pieces. Just do it.

Anyway, I'll also second the Spin Off Doctors. Jim and Conrad are really good. I'll also recommend their other podcast FistShark Marketing. Jim and Conrad doing improve about two evil corporate middle managers. I like it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New baywatching featuring Lil Richard

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
CNBC giving Jim Sterling a piece of their subtitle regarding Lootboxes

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Confirmed for both dumb and shady, :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGafggP6xY

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

poparena posted:

Two new episodes of Nick Knacks. First, a 1989 Thanksgiving special that led to the creation of the Nicktoons, and then jumping back to 1979, America Goes Bananaz, Nickelodeon's first variety show.

Thanks for these, been finding this series really informative.

I was a Nicktoons/SNIK kid but I find your covering the formation and early years of the channel a lot more interesting than talking about those blocks because, well, I already know those shows, I was there, while the history of the network isn't something I've looked into so much.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KayTee posted:

Confirmed for both dumb and shady, :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGafggP6xY

imagine that

like what if the MPAA was regulating something of actual consequence and not just the number of "gently caress"s that can be said in a film before it officially becomes for mature audiences? it would never work

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZ19hnr8vc

Sideways dives into what makes Joe Hisaishi's scores for Miyazaki films "pretty", for lack of a better word.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNbXmIXUOo

Another Jim Sterling video on Battlefront II. Apparently the reason why EA didn't have cosmetics in loot crates was because they didn't want anything that violated canon like pink Vaders and poo poo. However not only did the last Battlefront have cosmetic unlockables as rewards but now data miners have found a character customization menu buried in the game code.

So EA aren't even competent liars anymore

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BigRed0427 posted:

I need a way to enjoy my favorite internet sites, but cut out the loving drama that makes me lose respect for my favorite people.

User: https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?user=USERNAME_HERE

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=CHANNEL_ID_HERE

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?playlist_id=PLAYLIST_ID_HERE

You're welcome.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Can you ask Obscurus Lupa to wear a swimsuit for a episode of Baywatching?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Can you ask Obscurus Lupa to wear a swimsuit for a episode of Baywatching?

Dude, what?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Dude, what?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694476&userid=211885

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/936055045585559552