Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I need to get out of here...anyone need a analytical chemist pretending to be a NMR spectroscopist?

How do you feel about living in a cardboard box for $2000 a month? Lotsa chemist jobs out here! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sundae posted:

How do you feel about living in a cardboard box for $2000 a month? Lotsa chemist jobs out here! :D

I feel like this is a meth joke of some kind.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Basically if you don’t already own property or aren’t a DINK six figures plus each, good luck finding a home condo! Or just relegate yourself to paying 30-50% of your income as rent for the rest of your life. :ca:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zil posted:

I feel like this is a meth joke of some kind.

Nah, it's a California Joke.

But hey, now that you mention it, he could park a trailer up in Humbolt County and supplement his income a bit...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Nah, it's a California Joke.

But hey, now that you mention it, he could park a trailer up in Humbolt County and supplement his income a bit...

Chemists do Fresno, Botanists do Humbolt

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I was told by a fortune 5 VP that being willing to be mobile is good for your career. Seems like the trend of silicon valley RVs as permanent homes is just another example of California being ahead of the curve. In all seriousness though, how can you get drunk in your rv without running afoul of dui laws?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sundae posted:

I just turned down a job in SF for this reason. I'm not leaving low six figures in Chicago for slightly more low six figures in SF with housing prices like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tnuctip posted:

I was told by a fortune 5 VP that being willing to be mobile is good for your career. Seems like the trend of silicon valley RVs as permanent homes is just another example of California being ahead of the curve. In all seriousness though, how can you get drunk in your rv without running afoul of dui laws?

Probably easily, don't sit in the loving driver seat.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

A tempting offer, especially when you factor in the possibilities of a meth side gig but I'm not sure I want to move to a state that is perpetually on fire and waiting to sink into the ocean.

I want to get away from snow so I've been applying down in North Carolina but so far haven't heard back, I imagine they all notice the New York address and say "he's gonna want relocation and a lot of money" and file the resume in the trash bin. So for now I just keep sending applications all over, make offerings to Marduk for something to stick and hope my doctor will let me start drinking again.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
"when it says 'list the total licenses' does that mean the sum of what they have now and what we're adding?"

What do you think a total is?! :psyduck:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shrieking Muppet posted:

A tempting offer, especially when you factor in the possibilities of a meth side gig but I'm not sure I want to move to a state that is perpetually on fire and waiting to sink into the ocean.

I want to get away from snow so I've been applying down in North Carolina but so far haven't heard back, I imagine they all notice the New York address and say "he's gonna want relocation and a lot of money" and file the resume in the trash bin. So for now I just keep sending applications all over, make offerings to Marduk for something to stick and hope my doctor will let me start drinking again.

Ditch the address portion of your resume, make up a reason you want to move (family in the area, maybe?), and if you don’t need relocation mention that off the bat in that conversation.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ditch the address portion of your resume, make up a reason you want to move (family in the area, maybe?), and if you don’t need relocation mention that off the bat in that conversation.

I could do that but what about the address field in the online application?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

"Citizen of the World"

Solved!

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Im in the same boat, but looking at moving to texas instead. Even for jobs where relocation is offered, havent gotten one bite, only midwest firms. I figure if Lockheed rejects my 100th app balloons will fall from the ceiling and theyll say to themselves, this guy has gumption lets get him on the horn.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tnuctip posted:

Im in the same boat, but looking at moving to texas instead. Even for jobs where relocation is offered, havent gotten one bite, only midwest firms. I figure if Lockheed rejects my 100th app balloons will fall from the ceiling and theyll say to themselves, this guy has gumption lets get him on the horn.

What the hell happened to Lockheed that they're not offering relo anymore? Several of my friends got jobs there back in 2007/2008 in the prime of the financial downturn and even they were getting $15Kish signing bonuses and full relo packages.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I could do that but what about the address field in the online application?

Sorry, wasn’t thinking about online applications. 90% of what I apply to is resume and cover letter only.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sundae posted:

What the hell happened to Lockheed that they're not offering relo anymore? Several of my friends got jobs there back in 2007/2008 in the prime of the financial downturn and even they were getting $15Kish signing bonuses and full relo packages.

They still offer it for the types of jobs im applying too. Besides the fact that i dont have any contacts there, dont work in aerospace, didnt go to one of their approved feeder schools, and work in filthy metalcasting, its going great! Ill hit my dozenth and a halfth rejection letter in no time!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just got this message sent to our general email box (we're an IT staffing agency):

quote:

(Name of one of our recruiters),

I was really disappointed on how you profile me over the phone and questioning myself if you are a real staffer?
I have never been treated so awful be any recruiter, You should question your self if you are in the right type business buddy.

What a horrible person you are.

All the recruiter told him was that he was overqualified - it's a junior position and his experience clearly makes him a senior candidate, and he was asking way more than the client is willing to pay.

I know recruiters aren't well liked in this thread, but still, some people have no human decency. Thankfully our bosses always have our backs.

Edit: oh my god I just saw his email signature, this guy is an amazing tool:

quote:

"YOU WILL KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS" (Matt 7:15-23)
These Evil Spirited Public Servants finally realized YOU KNOW What is "up" all around you & Beyond...I can just "hear" them wondering:" How the heck in the world has this mere "individual" become??? so smart, so conscious & Sober about our Malignant Criminal ways?"

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 28, 2017

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just got this message sent to our general email box (we're an IT staffing agency):

All the recruiter told him was that he was overqualified - it's a junior position and his experience clearly makes him a senior candidate, and he was asking way more than the client is willing to pay.

I know recruiters aren't well liked in this thread, but still, some people have no human decency. Thankfully our bosses always have our backs.

Edit: oh my god I just saw his email signature, this guy is an amazing tool:

In his defense, he certainly doesnt write like he deserves senior level pay.

Are you allowed to reply “youre not my buddy, friend?”

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry, wasn’t thinking about online applications. 90% of what I apply to is resume and cover letter only.

What on earth do you apply too where this is still the standard?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IT jobs. Suck it, non STEM types :smugbert:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/935696090434883590

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Is there anybody left? Or are all men in media sexual predators?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BigDave posted:

Only give up hope when Tom Hanks falls.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GrandpaPants posted:

Only give up hope when Tom Hanks falls.

Don't tempt fate.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigDave posted:

Basically just Tom Hanks at this point. Also, Mister Rogers maybe? (Please god, no Fred.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Don't tempt fate.

It's simple. He can't.

His one wanna-be rapper son, OTOH...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Catered lunch delivered at reception.

$3.45 balance.

Unsure if includes tip. Argument over which card to use.

Petty cash? An option.

The account payable department and director of sourcing are on the case.

Four employees for fifteen minutes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FrozenVent posted:

Catered lunch delivered at reception.

$3.45 balance.

Unsure if includes tip. Argument over which card to use.

Petty cash? An option.

The account payable department and director of sourcing are on the case.

Four employees for fifteen minutes.

This reads like if Rorschach got an office job

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

Basically just Tom Hanks at this point. Also, Mister Rogers maybe? (Please god, no Fred.)

I would hate to learn that Mr Rogers molested Daniel Tiger.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sundae posted:

Keanu too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

therobit posted:

I would hate to learn that Mr Rogers molested Daniel Tiger.

Well Mr. Rogers was Daniel's puppeteer, so that entirely depends on what you think is the appropriate way to touch a puppet.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ashcans posted:

Well Mr. Rogers was Daniel's puppeteer, so that entirely depends on what you think is the appropriate way to touch a puppet.

Just because he is a puppet does not make it OK to treat him like a meat puppet.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Adventures of Rorschach in HR would be a daily read for me.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

Adventures of Rorschach in HR would be a daily read for me.

The accumulated filth of all their whining and catered lunches will foam up about their waists and all the admins and Sundaes will look up and shout “Save us!” And I’ll whisper “No.”

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My team at work got an extra person added a while back. It really helped to get the workload better distributed, and things have been pretty great as a result. Plus, a procedural change coming up is going to eliminate some busywork that was being generated for no good reason. It's nice!

The (significantly larger) team on the other side of the cubicle wall, on the other hand, who already didn't have time to get maintenance stuff done (we had some downtime so we did a big re-filing project for them, and also got months of old documents set up to be shipped out for long-term storage) are being told that they can't have any work held over from day to day, so they need to work faster, and also make fewer mistakes. Frustration and tempers are flaring all over the place.

I'm torn between human empathy and "thank god that's not me".

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 29, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

The admin leans into the office, asking if I have change.

I look up from my spreadsheet and whisper "no".

Payroll clerk bites into a fish sandwich. Spits it back out screaming. Does not like fish.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm torn between human empathy and "thank god that's not me".
Good news, you can feel both without any conflict!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The sweet ride of mileage money has been rescinded.

After being bought out, our company got about 10 weeks of nearly double the previous rate. There was an announcement over the weekend that the rate was going back to the old one. No explanation was given, but it's assumed by our site that the new company had no idea how spread out we are and how for some departments, it's a minimum of 60 miles round trip if you have to travel out of town.

I was fortunate to get in my longest travels approved a few days before the rates were reduced. It was nice while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

The admin leans into the office, asking if I have change.

I look up from my spreadsheet and whisper "no".

Payroll clerk bites into a fish sandwich. Spits it back out screaming. Does not like fish.

New Hire. Possibly homosexual. Must investigate further.

*gets hit with discrimination suit*