Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lol double Gundy’s salary, I can smell the desperation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Lol double Gundy’s salary, I can smell the desperation

they hurtin

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Bill Haslam had to answer questions about this poo poo - it could actually damage his political career

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Jesus Christ that number can't be true. Still it is being reported that they are meeting today. What a waste of time and resources. This is nothing more than them CYA saying "Hey we tried to pay big bucks for a bigger name coach and didn't work!". If that number is real Tennessee is going to cause a coaching salary bubble that is insane.

What a pain in the rear end Gundy must be for OK State. He flirts with every job possible.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Acelerion posted:

Bill Haslam had to answer questions about this poo poo - it could actually damage his political career

“Uh...blame Jimmy”

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Les Miles to OSU confirmed?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

What a pain in the rear end Gundy must be for OK State. He flirts with every job possible.

Not for nothing but this is drat near every coach that isn't at like a consistent top 10 school.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/935566735347822593

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

E: Nevermind, deleted already. gently caress.

Reporting Randy Shannon no longer on UF staff.

E2: Here we go:

https://twitter.com/ZachAbolverdi/status/935566436331851777

In an unsurprising move, Nussmeier is not being retained. :byewhore:

:wink:

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 28, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DOUG NUSSMEIER OFFICIALLY NO LONGER A FLORIDA GATOR

YOU'VE CALLED YOUR LAST SCREEN YOU STUPID rear end in a top hat

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
bye nussmeier you piece of poo poo gently caress

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nachos posted:

bye nussmeier you piece of poo poo gently caress

Ehud posted:

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Joining the good riddance Nuss chorus

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If we somehow end up with Gundy after all of this (I know, shut up) I will never stop laughing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

If we somehow end up with Gundy after all of this (I know, shut up) I will never stop laughing

That mullet would be gloriously at-home in the Smokies.

But nah, you guys are going to get Brady Hoke and you'll fuckin like it.

Ehud posted:

2017 FLORIDA GATORS ALL-THREE-AND-OUT OFFENSE:
1st and 10: Unblocked WR screen for 2 yd loss.
2nd and 12: Dive play for 2 yards.
3rd and 10: Incompletion on 5yd in-route.
TOWNSEND BOMB

Alternatively:
1st and 10: 40yd Franks incompletion
2nd and 10: 2yd loss on pitch.
3rd and 12: Unblocked WR screen for 2yd gain.
TOWNSEND BOMB

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Can a Big XII coach really work in the SEC though?

You at least have to try to play defense.

Relatedly, they could instead get Holgorsen for a lot less than Gundy. Holgo makes $3.5mil or so. $5 mil at UT seems reasonable.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Komet posted:

Can a Big XII coach really work in the SEC though?

You at least have to try to play defense.

Mizzou went 4-4 in conference without playing a lick of it.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee was literally last in FBS in offense this past year. LAST.

gently caress defense, give me more than 10 points a game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Mizzou went 4-4 in conference without playing a lick of it.

Odom was a dead man walking -- I think they improved so much he may have a longer future there. He did a phenomenal job.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Odom was a dead man walking -- I think they improved so much he may have a longer future there. He did a phenomenal job.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Mizzou was the fun kind of mediocre this season. Slangin' the ball all over. And they issued such beatdowns on teams down the stretch that I'm worried they might actually be pretty good next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mizzou won the East twice when pinkle was there pretty shortly after transitioning, and Big XII defenses being bad by raw stats is partially because every game has a billion goddamn plays. The only teams in the conference not running some hurry up spread variant are KState (who goes the other way to a comical degree) and to a lesser extent Iowa State. Plus it’s not like the SEC is loaded with amazing QBs or something right now.

E: Gundy also isn’t necessarily married to playing super fast and stressing his defense, that’s just what the modern big 12 basically requires, especially if you’re recruiting heavily from Texas. Remember Gundy as a player was a dude who mostly handed the ball off to Thomas and Sanders, and his very early Okie St. offenses were slower and more balanced.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 28, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

KState (who goes the other way to a comical degree) .

It's true, hilarious, and astoundingly fitting for them

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

PLEASE GUNDY PLEASE GUNDY PLEASE GUNDY

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
drat when did Gundy get that amazing mane?! Also Gundy would be a good hire for Tennessee so I hope that doesn't happen.

The Zack posted:

Joining the good riddance Nuss chorus

God willing he will be calling lovely screen passes in hell for the rest of eternity.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I didn’t see any other Ole Miss posters chiming in so I’ll just say I don’t hate the Luke hire and it was the smartest thing they could’ve done under the circumstances.

The D marginally improved, they played better as the season went on instead of giving up after getting embarrassed by Bama, Auburn, and LSU, they were a few crazy plays from an 8-win season, and the players love him.

Given that no one knows what the NCAA will do, I seriously doubt they would’ve been able to get anyone to come coach and I’d rather they do the boring safe hire for now.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Mizzou won the East twice when pinkle was there pretty shortly after transitioning, and Big XII defenses being bad by raw stats is partially because every game has a billion goddamn plays. The only teams in the conference not running some hurry up spread variant are KState (who goes the other way to a comical degree) and to a lesser extent Iowa State. Plus it’s not like the SEC is loaded with amazing QBs or something right now.

Yeah A&M and Mizzou went over there as middling B12 teams. Mizzou promptly won their division twice and A&M air raided all over Nick Saban's stupid face. Add in Mullen and Malzahn and Freeze, and you've got Nick Saban going back to the drawing board to adapt to the no-huddle spread era, not the other way around. Bert and Lester stuck with the established SEC brand of glacial beef-based offense, and they both ended up fired. This ain't the aughts no more.

I guess we'll see how it goes this year, but in bowl season B12 defenses tend to look much better going up against less insane offenses.

quote:

E: Gundy also isn’t necessarily married to playing super fast and stressing his defense, that’s just what the modern big 12 basically requires, especially if you’re recruiting heavily from Texas

I'm going to laugh if A&M pays eleventy bazillion dollars to lure Jimbo Fisher only to find that his complicated pro-style offense is a horrible fit for in-state recruits. If he does come, hopefully Jimbo running the offense that worked with Jameis Winston in Florida will be about as effective as Strong running the offense that worked in Kentucky with Teddy Bridgewater.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 28, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Stunt Rock posted:

I didn’t see any other Ole Miss posters chiming in so I’ll just say I don’t hate the Luke hire and it was the smartest thing they could’ve done under the circumstances.

The D marginally improved, they played better as the season went on instead of giving up after getting embarrassed by Bama, Auburn, and LSU, they were a few crazy plays from an 8-win season, and the players love him.

Given that no one knows what the NCAA will do, I seriously doubt they would’ve been able to get anyone to come coach and I’d rather they do the boring safe hire for now.

Yeah, I can't imagine they could have made a better hire. Their only other choice would be making a short-term hire of someone not-so-great as a coach but with a nice, squeaky clean reputation like Baylor did with Jim Grobe last year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What's the current news with Jimbo? I saw he might go aggy, but then saw a denial.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Bert and Lester stuck with the established SEC brand of glacial beef-based offense, and they both ended up fired. This ain't the aughts no more.

tbf the East champion averages about an hour per offensive drive and throws the ball as much as a service academy. But you've got to recruit your nuts off to make it work.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's the current news with Jimbo? I saw he might go aggy, but then saw a denial.

A&M is probably talking to him is all we know, I'll be stunned if it happens but he hasn't said no yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. Nice! posted:

A&M has expressed interest and he might be in talks with them, but he hasn't been hired away. There was a fake tweet the other day that went viral saying he'd been hired and that's where a lot of the confusion comes from.

Normally I'd say there's no chance in hell and he's just interviewing around to get a raise, but that doesn't make sense after the season he just had.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Every tweet saying something definite about Jimbo one way or another has turned out to be false, but I'd say the further we get into the week the more likely it's going to happen. He's going to stick around to finish the regular season at FSU, but if A&M had gotten a definite "no" they'd already have moved on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm going to laugh if A&M pays eleventy bazillion dollars to lure Jimbo Fisher only to find that his complicated pro-style offense is a horrible fit for in-state recruits. If he does come, hopefully Jimbo running the offense that worked with Jameis Winston in Florida will be about as effective as Strong running the offense that worked in Kentucky with Teddy Bridgewater.

It's a legitimate fear, you can't go just anywhere and find a quarterback as sharp as Jameis Winston.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

Every tweet saying something definite about Jimbo one way or another has turned out to be false, but I'd say the further we get into the week the more likely it's going to happen. He's going to stick around to finish the regular season at FSU, but if A&M had gotten a definite "no" they'd already have moved on.

Eh, we went through this same dance with Jimbo and LSU last year and there are a bunch of people on tigerdroppings who still think he was totally in the bag until <thing> happened at the last minute. Until he’s standing at a podium talking about how excited he is to take orders from a dog general and watch men grab their nuts for motivation it’s all just smoke.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Tennessee was literally last in FBS in offense this past year. LAST.

gently caress defense, give me more than 10 points a game.

Who was our OC again? Has he been murdered yet?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Florida: The Gators have now formally announced the additions of Billy Gonzales and John Hevesy to Dan Mullen’s staff.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Who was our OC again? Has he been murdered yet?

larry scott, a man in way way above his head

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Blue Raider posted:

larry scott, a man in way way above his head

Don't forget, he was offered to stay on at Miami with Richt, but choose not to because he was slighted about not being the new HC of Miami.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Vols started the season with ~14 scholarship OL. By the Vanderbilt game I think we were down to 4 because of injuries. We were using converted TE's and a kid who had literally NEVER played a lineman position as an OT. Our best WR got injured in the first game. I am willing to cut Larry Scott a LITTLE bit of slack, but the offense was miserable even with most everyone healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The Vols started the season with ~14 scholarship OL. By the Vanderbilt game I think we were down to 4 because of injuries. We were using converted TE's and a kid who had literally NEVER played a lineman position as an OT. Our best WR got injured in the first game. I am willing to cut Larry Scott a LITTLE bit of slack, but the offense was miserable even with most everyone healthy.

Don't.

He approved this playcall:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/26/10668068/miami-washington-state-sun-bowl-blizzard-halfback-pass

• Locked thread