Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HannibalBarca posted:

>not wanting the feeling of satisfaction you get from thirty minutes of tedious clicking at the start of the game resulting in a 50% productivity increase in your RGOs

"No, you see, it offered meaningful choices on how to develop your country, it absolutely isn't an exercise in busywork to cover up for lack of gameplay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vicky II was so beautiful it hurt. But there wasn't a lot of game happening -- the addition of crises in one of the expansions helped somewhat with this. And what about those newspapers, why did SimCity 2000 do a better job with that?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Newspapers? Oh that button that says 99+ all the time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Newspapers? Oh that button that says 99+ all the time.

How else are you going to learn about the terrible relations between Paraguay and Oranje?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Enjoy posted:

There wasn't really much to do in peacetime without that kind of tinkering, at least until they added spheres of influence

If you really want something to do in peacetime in Vicky 2, put a Planned Economy party in power.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How else are you going to learn about the terrible relations between Paraguay and Oranje?

New Patent! The Dutch have discovered Karl Marx.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The newspapers could have been amazing if someone tried to mod them somehow. Would have been neat to include little snips from old newspapers from the time in it... like something from the London times talking about how queen victoria was going to have tea with the Kaiser that morning or whatever.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Me, two minutes into my first game of V2 after they added newspapers: "wow, this is so cool, I'm going to read all of these!"

Me, twenty minutes later: lol nope

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The newspaper articles should have been clickbait.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Local man abolishes serfdom with ONE SIMPLE TRICK

KAISERS HATE HIM

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
All the loading screens are ads for patent medicines.

edit: WIZARD OIL

Edit: Wikipedia article on patent medicines led me to this article about a dude who spent 20 years transplanting goat testicles into patents.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 28, 2017

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
ANARCHO-LIBERALS REVOLT in Spain, you won't BELIEVE what happens next!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I got my CAPITALISTS TO BUILDS A FACTROY and here's how YOU can do it too!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There hasnt been a good victorian era game since Imperialism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Victoria 2 is a good game, I will die on this hill. :colbert:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Wrong, dumbass!

Victoria 2 is excellent!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pakled posted:

:yeah:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Panzeh posted:

Thief 2?

:v:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bought Imperialism 1 & 2 from GOG recently and quite enjoyed them, but there's a lot of 90s game design in them, meaning plenty of busy work that really could be automated. A new version would be fantastic.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pakled posted:

:same:
I don't think you're gonna have to argue about that a lot in this thread.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"Victoria 2 is not a good game, but it's a great one." - unknown goon who's 100% right

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Pakled posted:

You will die on a hill crowded by people that are wrong. How about that money that disappear to the eather because your pops spent too much on that random railway project in Mongolia which eventually crashes the world economy.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 29, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I bought Imperialism 1 & 2 from GOG recently and quite enjoyed them, but there's a lot of 90s game design in them, meaning plenty of busy work that really could be automated. A new version would be fantastic.

Yeah, like, when you play optimally using trade, it takes a lot of work between turns, but otherwise the game has not a lot of micro just due to the way production works. Everything's on one screen, clean, and the rest is just connecting it to your capital.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Groogy posted:

You will die on a hill crowded by people that are wrong. How about that money that disappear to the eather because your pops spent too much on that random railway project in Mongolia which eventually crashes the world economy.

suuuure would be nice a sequel showing us how its done were to come out

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Groogy posted:

See, your problem is thinking that this situation doesn't own super hard.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Groogy posted:

Ok but I don't see anything wrong with what you're describing? That sounds hella awesome and hilarious.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Victoria II crisis system: the single best Paradox mechanic or system???

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
My game is bugged. Austria just declared on Serbia and now Italy is fighting Germany even though they were allied? None of this makes sense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Groogy posted:

The best part of Vicky is the economy makes no sense.

Like real life.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want an Imperialism 3 so bad. Like smash the two games together to cover age of discovery to industrial revolution/scramble for africa.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Victoria II's economy doing things like crashing the world economy because of butterflies from some random French dude who bought too much bread or whatever makes it the most realistic economic simulation I have ever seen. Economics is a made up science that nobody really understands, and the entire world financial system is a whirling cloud of perfect chaos. The one thing that could use a rework is where money comes from and how it gets destroyed/poofed into the ether, but otherwise it's pretty drat awesome.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like if Vicky 3 makes its economy make any sort of logical sense then it's a hard pass for me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Agean90 posted:

suuuure would be nice a sequel showing us how its done were to come out

I'm legit curious how a modern Paradox take on Victoria would (will?) look. How much do they totally throw out and start from scratch with? How many people will have their ability to feel human torn from them?

Ditto Rome.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Wasn’t the Vicky 2 economy designed by an anarcho-capitalist or somesuch?

Because if so oh my god did his work betray his own ideology

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I'm legit curious how a modern Paradox take on Victoria would (will?) look. How much do they totally throw out and start from scratch with? How many people will have their ability to feel human torn from them?

Ditto Rome.

honestly i think the only way it could work would be if they dehuminize themselves and faced to it being jank as gently caress

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, it's hilarious

E: That the guy who wrote Vicky II's economy was like a libertarian, I mean

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*in Zizek voice* GLobal capitalism was built off the insidious but profitable invention of cement factories.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

disjoe posted:

Wasn’t the Vicky 2 economy designed by an anarcho-capitalist or somesuch?

Because if so oh my god did his work betray his own ideology

The premise of Vicky is that all ideologies should be playable..

pdxjohan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 29, 2017

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I like that the legend has morphed from "pro-Thatcher" to "libertarian" to "anarcho-capitalist" over the space of a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i hear the vicky2 economy was designed by milton friedman himself