Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

I have no moral authority or anything but there was a relevant post some ex google guy wrote on the topic of violence against Nazis and how their existence breaks the peace treaty in the first place.

Nazis killed an American this year, how are you all still "debating" this.

1. Pathological need to be correct
2. The pathological need to feel superior by putting minorities in their place
3. hey maybe Nazis aren't that bad, there's good people on both sides, all violence is wrong and genocidal maniacs can be reasoned with? (optional)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Talmonis posted:

True, and a fair point. But until we get to a point in time where we can have a world that is more equitable, I think it's the responsibility of those who benefit the most to do what they can to influence positive change. The rest of us just don't have that kind of power.

This is some "wait for a more fair season" White Moderate bullshit.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

No, merely having great wealth is inherently deeply immoral... And I would say it is absolutely as bad as fascism.

FDR was absolutely as bad as Hitler?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Democrazy posted:

Stepping aside from some of the other debates going on, Ajit Pai may be a bad guy, but I haven’t really seen any proof that he’s a fascist or a Nazi, particularly since he’s a person of color and the son of immigrants.

I've been talking about actual alt-right guys, complicit republicans and real life neo-nazis and such

edit: although at this point I'm fine just calling the entire GOP fascists and complicit enablers.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

nazis are monsters

how is this hard

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Koalas March posted:

I think that telling someone they're wrong about the lens with which the view their own oppressors is pedantic, thoughtless, and frankly, cruel.

I'm sorry if I came off that way. I think you're right that they act like monsters. But I just think that by saying they're nothing more than monsters is letting humanity itself off too easily. Others who didn't stop them are complicit in it. Tribalism is humanity's greatest sin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How is Ajit Pai not a complicit Republican?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Koalas March posted:

Nazis are not simply "broken people" they are fascists who want to kill me, my family and other already vulnerable minorities.

They want to commit genocide. They want to do harm to people. They revere those who came before them and have committed such atrocities.

They deserve neither humanizing nor compassion.

And here it is. The comforting lie.

You really really want to believe that a person being "broken" is enough for them to become so horrible.

But they are. They are broken people. This is one of the ways people can break. The violence you advocate is the sort of violence that simply needs to be done to people who break in certain ways to achieve desirable outcomes, when we lack the power, the time, the opportunity to fix them before they do irreversible damage - and often enough, we lack that power, that time, that opportunity. If circumstances were different, you, your family, those vulnerable minorities - you'd be up their sig heiling with the best of them. All it would take is to break you in just the right way, in just the right environment, and that's you. That's where you'd be.

You are not fundamentally, intrinsically different from them. This is the danger you are seeking to minimize, and the source of all their power - it doesn't take much to turn most people into fascists... nor does it really take much to prevent it. They are not some outside force, some external pressure that can simply be resisted or fought off or withstood. They need to be dealt with more aggressively than that, or the ideology will just grow back, because it is a very human ideology.

And if you ever started advocating the ends they advocate, I don't care what twist you put on it, you will still be a person. And I'd punch you, too, or do whatever other violence is needed to prevent you from obtaining your goals.

stone cold posted:

nazis are monsters

how is this hard

Has anyone disagreed with Nazis are monsters? Maybe I missed it.

It's just that people are monsters, and monsters, real monsters, are people.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 28, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Talmonis posted:

I'm sorry if I came off that way. I think you're right that they act like monsters. But I just think that by saying they're nothing more than monsters is letting humanity itself off too easily. Others who didn't stop them are complicit in it. Tribalism is humanity's greatest sin.

apropos of nothing

quote:

“We so obviously despise them, we so obviously condescend to them,” the conservative social scientist Charles Murray, who co-wrote The Bell Curve, recently told The New Yorker, speaking of the white working class. “The only slur you can use at a dinner party and get away with is to call somebody a redneck—that won’t give you any problems in Manhattan.”

“The utter contempt with which privileged Eastern liberals such as myself discuss red-state, gun-country, working-class America as ridiculous and morons and rubes,” charged the celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain, “is largely responsible for the upswell of rage and contempt and desire to pull down the temple that we’re seeing now.”

That black people, who have lived for centuries under such derision and condescension, have not yet been driven into the arms of Trump does not trouble these theoreticians. After all, in this analysis, Trump’s racism and the racism of his supporters are incidental to his rise. Indeed, the alleged glee with which liberals call out Trump’s bigotry is assigned even more power than the bigotry itself. Ostensibly assaulted by campus protests, battered by arguments about intersectionality, and oppressed by new bathroom rights, a blameless white working class did the only thing any reasonable polity might: elect an orcish reality-television star who insists on taking his intelligence briefings in picture-book form.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Koalas March posted:

Fascists are not people.
Sure they are. You shouldn't have to dehumanize people before you endorse violent action against them. Just accept that sometimes certain humans must have violence done upon them for the greater good.

I mean if that's what you gotta do, then do it, but it seems silly to assert that they aren't people when they clearly are "people". Terrible people who deserve to have terrible things happen to them, but people nevertheless.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Koalas March posted:

I've been talking about actual alt-right guys, complicit republicans and real life neo-nazis and such

edit: although at this point I'm fine just calling the entire GOP fascists and complicit enablers.

You were responding to a comment I made that I can think that the Republican chair of the FCC is a person. We can dislike his policies without calling him not a person.

Edit: I mean, he’s literally a person of color and the son of an immigrant. Call me crazy but I don’t think he’s a white supremacist.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 28, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Well in the same way that nothing anyone posts here matters, nothing matters.

But as I said before, pretending Nazis are Monsters means you're focusing on their symbolic strength as monsters and not focusing on their human weaknesses.

Likewise if you believe Nazis are Monsters it makes it even more challenging to prevent people from becoming Nazis, since you're viewing it through this dehumanized lens of Human->Monster rather the more contemporary anti-radicalization methods that acknowledge the humanity of those involved and their human desires.

This is a lot of words for saying absolutely nothing. Like, come on, why are you even arguing the point when the best you can muster is some dime store psychoanalysis about what those people surely must think based on nothing except your own unfounded assumptions?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

If only we sympathized with the poow widdle nazis harder they wouldn’t have done the holocaust!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nazis want me dead. These people are professing to be Nazis. Nazis, again, want me dead. Nazis have a history of killing people, and these people are professing to be Nazis. Nazis, and I keep repeating this, want me dead. But lol, no I should wait for them to recruit more and hope that they're just kidding when they say that they, Nazis, want me dead.
A Nazi deserves a boot to the neck and a bullet to the brain.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

what about those poor people who are simply humble victims of circumstance and want to commit genocide?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

This is some "wait for a more fair season" White Moderate bullshit.

So Gates should instead not use his massive wealth to help save people from AIDS or Malaria? If he was just yet another prick hoarding his money, the outcome would be worse than what it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ He is a prick hoarding his money, though. The fact he doesn't hoard a portion of it doesn't change that. And it shouldn't be his choice what to spend that money on in the first place, because he shouldn't even rightfully own it. As I said before, it's like someone with several buttons in front of them, each of which would save many lives of pushed. Should you praise someone for pushing a couple of the buttons and ignoring the others? Of course not; they're still a monster who chose not to save even more lives at virtually no cost to their own well being and lifestyle.

Koalas March posted:

3. hey maybe Nazis aren't that bad, there's good people on both sides, all violence is wrong and genocidal maniacs can be reasoned with? (optional)

I don't think anyone in this particular discussion is trying to defend fascists by pointing out they're human. They're not pointing it out as a "so we should have empathy towards them and try to get them to change" thing (like all those dumb articles in the media), but more to highlight the fact that some people in any society are vulnerable to becoming monsters like that under the right conditions. Once people become like that they're irredeemable, but it's important to keep in mind that this isn't just a random natural disaster and that there are circumstances that can lead to people becoming so terrible.

I can't really blame you for interpreting things that way, though, given how common this sort of "humanizing Nazis" stuff has been in the media and elsewhere.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 28, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us. — Malcolm X

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Concerning nonviolence, it is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks.— Malcolm X

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mmm yes just make things up that I have explicitly opposed and act as if I said them, yes, that makes complete sense.

Koalas March posted:

what about those poor people who are simply humble victims of circumstance and want to commit genocide?

We loving shoot them, just like we did last time. Oh my loving god what is wrong with you, why is this so hard to understand.

I'm not the one who needs to lie to themselves in order to be able to shoot people that absolutely need to be shot.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

HootTheOwl posted:

Nazis want me dead. These people are professing to be Nazis. Nazis, again, want me dead. Nazis have a history of killing people, and these people are professing to be Nazis. Nazis, and I keep repeating this, want me dead. But lol, no I should wait for them to recruit more and hope that they're just kidding when they say that they, Nazis, want me dead.
This is all 100% true, and completely consistent with the proposition that they are people. Not all people deserve pity and compassion.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I believe that there will ultimately be a clash between the oppressed and those that do the oppressing. I believe that there will be a clash between those who want freedom, justice and equality for everyone and those who want to continue the systems of exploitation. — Malcolm X

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess that the real baffling thing to me here is why some people ITT get so hung up on what label somebody else decides to slap on a nazi that they feel the need to argue on about it at length even when they admit it makes no practical difference. Seriously, get some drat perspective ya nerdlingers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You don’t have to be a man to fight for freedom. All you have to do is to be an intelligent human being. — Malcolm X

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

nazis aren’t people why is this controversial y’all got goddamn brain spiders or some poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Mmm yes just make things up that I have explicitly opposed and act as if I said them, yes, that makes complete sense.

We loving shoot them, just like we did last time. Oh my loving god what is wrong with you, why is this so hard to understand.

I'm not the one who needs to lie to themselves in order to be able to shoot people that absolutely need to be shot.

Because people wanna argue and it is easier to pretend that anti-dehumanization is anti-violence than actually engage for or against dehumanization as an ideological tenant.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Malcolm X. Worse than nazis? Some inthis thread think so.

:thunk:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

I guess that the real baffling thing to me here is why some people ITT get so hung up on what label somebody else decides to slap on a nazi that they feel the need to argue on about it at length even when they admit it makes no practical difference. Seriously, get some drat perspective ya nerdlingers.

because they have a pathological need to be right and feel superior by putting the oppressed in their place while claiming to be their allies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

I have no loving clue why some people in this thread are so goddamn butthurt about calling Nazi's people, but they really do.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
nonviolence is reactionary

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Sure they are. You shouldn't have to dehumanize people before you endorse violent action against them. Just accept that sometimes certain humans must have violence done upon them for the greater good.

I mean if that's what you gotta do, then do it, but it seems silly to assert that they aren't people when they clearly are "people". Terrible people who deserve to have terrible things happen to them, but people nevertheless.

Good lord, I agree with you completely on something. It may snow in Florida.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stone cold posted:

nazis aren’t people why is this controversial y’all got goddamn brain spiders or some poo poo

How are Nazi born?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cerebral Bore posted:

It does matter. Kill Nazis. Their enablers need only be punched.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

How are Nazi born?

by abandoning their humanity

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I have no loving clue why some people in this thread are so goddamn butthurt about calling Nazi's people, but they really do.

gb2 stormfrontchan

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

stone cold posted:

Koalas March posted:

because they have a pathological need to be right and feel superior by putting the oppressed in their place while claiming to be their allies.
It is splitting hairs and personally I don't give much of a drat if you want to insist they aren't people, or not. I don't see the point in doing so, but you do you.

I don't think that rises to the level of putting anyone "in their place".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

oppressed minority: the people who want to kill me (or worse) are monsters

goons: well actually they are human beings, beeop boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kilroy posted:

It is splitting hairs and personally I don't give much of a drat if you want to insist they aren't people, or not. I don't see the point in doing so, but you do you.

I don't think that rises to the level of putting anyone "in their place".

you’re telling km, a black Jew, that actually nazis aren’t monsters they’re really people

:allears:

• Locked thread