Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You forget that there are Orks in other galaxies. By the time the bulk of the Tyranids arrive the collective psychic beacon of all that fighting will summon an Intergalaktik WAAAGH!

The way this was discovered is one of my favourite lore snippets ever.

The AdMech sent a probe outside the galaxy. All that it returned was the sound of orks, then it was promptly destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The way this was discovered is one of my favourite lore snippets ever.

The AdMech sent a probe outside the galaxy. All that it returned was the sound of orks, then it was promptly destroyed.

woah, what was this in

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Liquid Communism posted:

Mag Uruk Thraka means 'I am slaughter'. :orks101:

quote:

Margaret Thatcher means 'I am slaughter'. :dota101:

Checks out

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

zeal posted:

woah, what was this in

The 4th ed Ork codex, I think?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Zeal, your lore posts are on point and I'm enjoying them immensely.

I second the Necrons winning in the end thing. Would the Chaos gods be able to sustain themselves if all that was left was Necrons? What would happen if the Nids ate everything? Do they just move on to the next galaxy?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The Necrons recognize that the Tyranid's winning would most likely spell doom for them as well, and as such have allied with the Imperium for several encounters. They reference this quite a bit in the newer blood angels novels. Are the Necron's correct in this assessment? Who knows!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Not sure if this is still canon or not but weren't Tyranids actually running away from something even worse?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
As of the last Necron codex The Silent King has been running around trying to get as many tombs online and united as he can after travelling to the galaxy's edge, seeing the sheer mass of Tyranids baring down on the Milky Way and making GBS threads his shiny metal britches.

The 'crons could weather the Tyranids but they need Humanity for biotransferance and that's a kick in the pisser.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Ayn Marx posted:

Not sure if this is still canon or not but weren't Tyranids actually running away from something even worse?
Maybe what the Tyranids are running from is an extra-galactic super Warboss.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ayn Marx posted:

This is in-universe speculation by the Biologis.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The idea of the rest of the local group and interstellar space just being filled with Tyranids and Orks is pretty super grimdark for all the other races.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Ayn Marx posted:

Last I saw they were drawn here from the final flare-up of the Pharos during the Heresy from somewhere outside the galaxy. They saw a big bright juicy flash of a psychic beacon and set out to find the food.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm a little bummed out by the blood angels primaris upgrade sprue, it's not nearly as visually interesting as their previous upgrade pack for tactical marines or their death company models. Does anyone know how compatible things like shoulder pads, backpacks, and heads are between old marines and biglys?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Booyah- posted:

I'm a little bummed out by the blood angels primaris upgrade sprue, it's not nearly as visually interesting as their previous upgrade pack for tactical marines or their death company models. Does anyone know how compatible things like shoulder pads, backpacks, and heads are between old marines and biglys?

Shoulder pads and heads are interchangeable. The other stuff is not.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

Heads and Shoulders are good, dunno about backpack.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So is the death company/black rage still a thing or are primaris dudes just toning all the chapter traits down?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Booyah- posted:

I couldn't disagree more to be honest. I absolutely love that they are being more restrained with the new designs. All of the non-vanilla chapter designs had become horribly overwrought when it came to differentiating them from basic armour, to the point where they just looked daft. I really hope the DA sprue is equally restrained.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

BuffaloChicken posted:

Someone asked me to keep the thread posted as I continued working on Moose God, the counts-as Magnus for my jungle Daemons army.

Behold the Lord of the Jungle, still very much WIP. The top of the staff is also removed to make painting easier.

I'm traveling all this week for work, but hope to finish him shortly after returning.
Still working on the final touches for that Moose God conversion posted a long while back. Thought this was a fun thing worth sharing.

I cut out part of the base and used water effects to make a pond, and decided to add some lilypads. Just cut them out of card from a cracker box, painted them green, and "painted" on texture using several layers Vallejo plastic putty. Between the deathworld dragonfly (from a Wood Elf kit) and the cattails, both of which still need some additional washes and highlighting, it makes a neat little pond scene. I want to try more of this on future large bases and terrain.

Holiday season is always real busy, but I should have this guy done in time for a Christmas game with my brother!

EDIT: And while I'm posting, here's the wings so far - inspired by a kestrel. Still needs a few select washes for depth and the bronze details picked out, but you get the point!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 28, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Zuul the Cat posted:

The idea of the rest of the local group and interstellar space just being filled with Tyranids and Orks is pretty super grimdark for all the other races.

Warhammer 50k is Warhammer 40k, except all the factions but Tyranids are just orks in cosplay.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stephenls posted:

Warhammer 50k is Warhammer 40k, except all the factions but Tyranids are just orks in cosplay.

Oh goddddd I want to see these kitbashes.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

So is the death company/black rage still a thing or are primaris dudes just toning all the chapter traits down?

It hasn't showed up yet for the Primaris but they've strongly hinted that it will in the future.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I couldn't disagree more to be honest. I absolutely love that they are being more restrained with the new designs. All of the non-vanilla chapter designs had become horribly overwrought when it came to differentiating them from basic armour, to the point where they just looked daft. I really hope the DA sprue is equally restrained.

A big part of what differentiates the Blood Angels is that they have particularly ornate armor. It's fine that you don't like that, but from what I've seen most people who play BA and post online aren't really thrilled with that sprue. I know I'm really disappointed there's no nipple armor. The sword and pistol are completely generic as well which is not at all what I am looking for.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't mind the classical armour at all. I was thinking more the wings sticking off every surface. Or in the case of DAs, swords. This stuff looks a lot more like the old Angels of Death era differentiation.
I do feel there's a middle ground to be found, but in the meantime I'd rather they err towards simplicity.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Kult of Speed isn't just an Evil Sunz thing, right? There could (for example) be a Blood Axe KoS?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Kult of Speed isn't just an Evil Sunz thing, right? There could (for example) be a Blood Axe KoS?

iirc Wazdakka was a Freeboota Kult of Speed.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There has to be a happy medium between the current Primaris stuff and stupid wolf poo poo. I'm still buying and painting old school tacticals and haven't touched the Primaris models because the aesthetic just seems so bland. I love that I have so many accessory options to make the old marines look like a bunch of psycho fundamentalist space knights. Makes them fun to paint and interesting to look at. If the Ultramarine and Blood Angels upgrade packs are anything to go by it seems like they are trying to move away from that flavor. It's got to be an intentional design decision; especially in contrast to all the crazy elaborate Death Guard stuff.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Correct. Any Ork is a potential Kult of Speed member if they get addicted to going fast.

Evil Sunz are more likely to join them though due to their general predilection for going fast.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Ricky Bobby was actually an Ork, and a proud member of the Kult of Speed.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booyah- posted:

i used the backpack skull doodad from the ba tactical upgrade sprue to denote the sergeant of my intercessors, it looked pretty good when it was lined up with the y axis of the backpack

Pendent posted:

A big part of what differentiates the Blood Angels is that they have particularly ornate armor. It's fine that you don't like that, but from what I've seen most people who play BA and post online aren't really thrilled with that sprue. I know I'm really disappointed there's no nipple armor. The sword and pistol are completely generic as well which is not at all what I am looking for.

and yeah, i'll echo the sentiment that i really liked how ornate the blood angels tactical options are, nipple armor included--especially the 'flayed muscle striations' nipple armor patterns. made it easy to really differentiate your tacticals, make every marine look like he's wearing a custom-machined war carapace rather than something that was mass-produced.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Has anyone in the 40k universe tried to use warp travel to get to another galaxy? Disregarding Tyranids obviously

Also exactly how powerful was an old Eldar god compared to something like a "big" Chaos god like Khorne or Nurgle

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Good news for any other crazy people who bought an Astraeus - mine just showed up and the sponson and front guns will be very easy to magnetize.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goose willis posted:

Has anyone in the 40k universe tried to use warp travel to get to another galaxy? Disregarding Tyranids obviously

My understanding is that that you need the Astronomicon like you used to need the sun or the moon and without it you can't know which way you're going which means as you get further from Holy Terra it gets harder, because of this there haven't been many attempts to leave the galaxy (at least not by humans, at least not successful ones).

Losing your way in the warp means you get left in the hell dimension from Event Horizon.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

zeal posted:

i used the backpack skull doodad from the ba tactical upgrade sprue to denote the sergeant of my intercessors, it looked pretty good when it was lined up with the y axis of the backpack

and yeah, i'll echo the sentiment that i really liked how ornate the blood angels tactical options are, nipple armor included--especially the 'flayed muscle striations' nipple armor patterns. made it easy to really differentiate your tacticals, make every marine look like he's wearing a custom-machined war carapace rather than something that was mass-produced.

Especially since BAs are obviously meant to be Italian Renaissance Marines, they're supposed to be dripping with pointless baroque ornamentation.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Also exactly how powerful was an old Eldar god compared to something like a "big" Chaos god like Khorne or Nurgle

Even without the warp, other galaxies are really, really, really far away. The Milky Way is about 100k light years across. Comparatively, it's 2.5 million light years to Andromeda, the closest galaxy. Even if a group like the Necrons could travel at the speed of light or faster without the warp, there's a good chance that particular trip is still making its way out there. And that doesn't even account for time dilation and all the other poo poo that comes along with traveling at relativistic speeds.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

goose willis posted:

Pretty sure the Necron Silent King encountered the Tyranids on an extragalactic voyage

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Schadenboner posted:

Whatever happened to Bumfights? I feel like it could really stand to make a resurgence in the modern media landscape.

The videos have been banned in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada,[4] and New Zealand. The internet auction site eBay routinely cancels listings which contain copies of the video, citing their policy which prohibits the sale of materials which promote or glorify violence.[5] In the state of California, both felony and misdemeanor charges were filed against the producers, as well as civil lawsuits; in 2005,[6] the producers were sentenced to six months in prison for having failed to complete the community service to which they had previously been sentenced. The filmmakers maintain that the production of the video was a mutually beneficial arrangement and that the homeless people depicted freely chose to participate.

They went to prison and agreed to not make anymore.

They were facing a lot of legal troubles, also those bums have millions of dollars each now since they were forced to pay them out

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

Pretty sure, due to its nature as an "emotional echo" the Warp is endless, but also dependent on the "material plane" in terms of reach. You could drop into the Warp and travel forever, but couldn't then drop out and pop up somewhere without intelligent beings to make the Warp "a thing" there.

Of course, this could all be horseshit, because I don't remember where I heard or read that. Bit it makes sense to my head canon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zuul the Cat posted:

What would happen if the Nids ate everything? Do they just move on to the next galaxy?

Yes. The nids as we know them are but a tiny, tiny tendril of the actual Tyranid species in its entirety. The ones we know about are just ones that ate everything in their home galaxy and got hungry and wandered off into deep-space looking for something new to eat, and then eventually wound up at the Milky Way.

This process may have even gone on many times already. This could be the 5th or the 25th galaxy that the tyranid species has completely devoured of organic material.

That's the big end-game thing; even if Necrons or Orks manage to somehow, SOMEHOW kill all the buggers and cleanse the Milky Way.... that'd just be a drop in the bucket. They could never hope to chase down and eradicate the entire species.

Zuul the Cat posted:

gently caress yes it is

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

zeal posted:

it's a thorny question, which i know is why you're asking. the other three chaos gods existed in the forms we recognize before Slaanesh, probably (Lorgar's tutors in daemonology, Erebus and Kor Phaeron, mention the Big Three when they reference secret pre-imperial scriptures from Colchis), though their daemons and daemon-avatars would've been even less anthropomorphic before humans became the dominant galactic species. so pre-fall khaine coexisted with pre-fall khorne, and both share a lot of qualities/would've drawn power from very similar emotions and practices. at what point do they stop being distinguishable as separate entities though?

I could've sworn in Lorgar: bearer of the word that Kor Phaeron refers to 4 great prophets (who all have names similar to the chaos gods).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Still working on the final touches for that Moose God conversion posted a long while back. Thought this was a fun thing worth sharing.

I cut out part of the base and used water effects to make a pond, and decided to add some lilypads. Just cut them out of card from a cracker box, painted them green, and "painted" on texture using several layers Vallejo plastic putty. Between the deathworld dragonfly (from a Wood Elf kit) and the cattails, both of which still need some additional washes and highlighting, it makes a neat little pond scene. I want to try more of this on future large bases and terrain.

Holiday season is always real busy, but I should have this guy done in time for a Christmas game with my brother!

EDIT: And while I'm posting, here's the wings so far - inspired by a kestrel. Still needs a few select washes for depth and the bronze details picked out, but you get the point!

This is unbelievably sick :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

This process may have even gone on many times already. This could be the 5th or the 25th galaxy that the tyranid species has completely devoured of organic material.

Unironically hoping that the Enslavers start pouring out of warpspace again